Try a new Ancestry.com Membership!

Domain Name Registration at GoDaddy.com 120x60

Footnote.com

Note: Please follow the link(s) on the navigation bar below to search additional messages that have been archived to conserve space. If no link is visible, no messages have been archived on this board.

2010-06-14

*LunchBunch

Start: 12:08:28
End: 13:29:02
Chatters: 3rdthawkins, alt, freeaainnc, Ingrid_Doweary, Selma, Seventies Soulchild, vicky

vicky: hi 3rd!

alt: Hi 3rd & vicjy Oops, vicky

vicky: hi there alt! lol Oops There it is

alt: vicky, you're doing a fine job w/Mariah's Zepyher ...keep up the good work.

vicky: oh thanks my friend!

alt: you're more than welcome.... I like your writing style.

freeaainnc: hi!

alt: Hello freeaainnc

vicky: oh really! hmmm much appreciated to one of the ones I speak of

alt: How's the J-O-B coming along?

vicky: hello freeaainnc!

3rdthawkins: hello alt free and vicky

vicky: hows it going 3rd/

freeaainnc: going well Art! She keeps telling me I'm doing outstanding :)

vicky: ?

3rdthawkins: good vicky :)

alt: wonderful.. ask her to put your 'wonderfulness' on paper LOL LOL LOL

freeaainnc: she has! LOL well, on email :)

vicky: lol @ free

alt: great... document the compliments

freeaainnc: yep :) she says it won't be long now before I can do them on my own :)

alt: well alright!!!

freeaainnc: but actually, come to think of it, it's always on paper b/c I'm deaf, they have to write down what they are saying :)

vicky: Always nice when you have a job that you love too

freeaainnc: exactly

alt: need some help... Our gen group (AAGGMV) is having a luncheon celebrating our 10 years of existence... I've been asked to do a small presentation on 10 years of advances in genealogical research ... any ideas?

freeaainnc: well, the internet is a major advance, and it is always changing

alt: I have some obvious things in mind.. online resources, social networking, DNA testing.. looking for more

3rdthawkins: television with a few shows focusing on genealogy/family history

alt: TV shows .. excellent

freeaainnc: new databases and digitization. In fact, the Wake County (NC) Register of Deeds has digitized ALL land deeds and put them online. 10 years ago, the only place you saw something like that was on Ancestry

vicky: D you have a picture of one of those old data processors or a typewriter alt? or a viewer lol

alt: good vicky... a photo of an old microfiche reader

vicky: yep!

alt: I want to do about a 10-15 minute Power Pooint w/handouts of the slides.

3rdthawkins: how about family tree software?

alt: will mention genealogy software packages and how they have advanced 3rdthawkins

vicky: alt have you been there the whole ten yrs

freeaainnc: oh alt, Tribalpages! there is an advance! being able to put your tree online in its entirety, but also having control over who can access it. There really isn't much control over your own content with sites like ancestry where you can upload your tree

alt: withGPS Maps, color coding, increased numbers yep vicky.. I'm a co-founder

vicky: if so, dig out a picture of the folks that have been there along the way and slide them in at various intervals

alt: right freeaainnc .. personal websites, etc.. our group has two (2) a MyFamily site for members only & www.aaggmv.org for the public we're going to have a continuous slide show showing pics throughout our 10 years vicky

vicky: sounds very good alt!

freeaainnc: what does your groups acronym stand for? I got the AA, but not the others :)

alt: I think we have a very nice program.. which includes a Silent Auction and a raffle for some door prizes.

freeaainnc: what are you auctioning off?

alt: African American Genealogy Group of the Miami Valley freeaainnc

freeaainnc: ohhh! Miami Valley! ok, I was thinking "hmm, mid-vermont???" LOL that is cool

3rdthawkins: hello Seventies

Seventies Soulchild: Good afternoon, 3rd, alt, freeaainnc, and vicky

vicky: you all have really gone all out alt, that sure will be a fun day hi seventies!

alt: we hope so vicky.....expect to have about 75-100 folks in attendence

3rdthawkins: Have any of you had success with Find a Grave?

vicky: 3rd, thats where I found that info for you remember

alt: I have and I've put some Posts out there 3rdthawkins

vicky: Your Hughes

3rdthawkins: what info vicky?

vicky: where he was buried

3rdthawkins: I thought it was Gloria Mayfield's Cemetery site?

vicky: no

3rdthawkins: for Harri. Co.

vicky: naw it was Find A Grave

alt: thanks y'all..... for your suggestions

3rdthawkins: hmm, guess I'm getting them mixed up

vicky: no problem alt

3rdthawkins: I found a sister of my paternal great grandmother there, so I have a death date for her now last nite

vicky: Will you all have books alt?

3rdthawkins: my grgr gf Thomas Sanders his son Jr., and a few others were put on there this year, I found them a few months ago

alt: yep, I'm donating 2.... The Source Book by Loretta Szucs (sp) & The African American sourcebook by Paula Byers

vicky: thats good 3rd. Its updated constantly

freeaainnc: gotta go, lunch is over for me today. I won't be on the rest of this week. I'm in the process of moving, so I'll see y'all next week.

3rdthawkins: yeah, I see, 47 mil now

vicky: ok free see ya

alt: take care freeaainnc

3rdthawkins: ok free

freeaainnc: :)

vicky: I'am over to my daughters so much, lol they asked me to sell my place and move in last night.

3rdthawkins: lol

alt: guess AY is knee-deep in the course work at Samford by now LOL

vicky: lol I guess she is and enjoying every minute

alt: vicky.. AND.... about moving

Seventies Soulchild: don't do it ms vicky!!!!

vicky: I saw a tweet this morning where Pinnick was beginning to speak Ha! alt.. I can walk around my house with no shame if I want at my house

alt: yeah.vicky... my daughter was staying with her mother after she came back here from PHX.... had to find her a place of her own... too much togetherness,

vicky: lol for sure alt

alt: was causing them tho be at each others throats LOL

3rdthawkins: lol the reason my grandmother moved and reduced her living space from 4 bedrooms to 2

alt: It's hard to go back home after you've been out on your own for 20 years LOL

vicky: two grown friends and one is a mama. oh no!! my motherly instincts will come first lol lol

3rdthawkins: hello Ingrid

alt: hello Ingrid_Doweary

vicky: heyyyy ingrid!

3rdthawkins: my grandma was tired of her kids coming in sleeping and stuff, and to get them out and keep them out

Seventies Soulchild: vicky stay at your house... lol

3rdthawkins: and-had

vicky: lol don't worry seventies

Ingrid_Doweary: Hey \3rd, alt, Seventies and Vicky. How's everyone and what did I miss.

vicky: daughter asked me to sell my place and move in last night ingrid

3rdthawkins: Darn! Rain make some demands and maybe she'll change her mind lol

vicky: we could use it here for sure.. Arkansas sure doesn't need anymore

3rdthawkins: just don't do it while I'm traveling

vicky: are you driving 3rd?

Ingrid_Doweary: Where would you move to, Vicky?

Seventies Soulchild: yes I was just going to ask about that? I've been floating along lately... how many died in that flood?

3rdthawkins: I'm not driving, but we will driving to a airport and then flying, two flights to get onto

vicky: about a mile from my own house ingrid lol lol but I ain't gonna do it

3rdthawkins: good to ask, but bad idea lol

alt: exactly 3rdthawkins ,, thank her for the sentiment, but keep living arrangements as they are

vicky: dunno if I could say one would out weigh the other soooooo I will stay put until my memory fades. After that I won't care lol

alt: there you go vicky

Ingrid_Doweary: I read the thread on Genealogy theft.

Seventies Soulchild: I still haven't found that thread. . . where is it?

vicky: good thread isn't it

3rdthawkins: good points, huh Ingrid? Gen & His forum Seventies

Ingrid_Doweary: It was quite informative. It explains why I take forever to post any articles.

Seventies Soulchild: Hmm let me look there again... I lost my glasses... DON'T YOU LAUGH MS VICKY! You either alt! lol

vicky: hahahahahaha

Ingrid_Doweary: I'm also trying to be selective about where I post. Facebook, I'm not very comfortable with.

alt: I feels yo pain Seventies Soulchild .. re: lost glasses

Seventies Soulchild: I have my spares with me today though... so its ok.. :)

3rdthawkins: speaking of facebook Ingrid, you check your privacy settings? there are things people don't know

alt: we've all probably had the experience melvin realted...

vicky: for sure alt.

Seventies Soulchild: Now I won't go that far, but I will share bits of information... lol since that's all I have! lol

alt: my sentiment is ... don't care who gets the credit so long as the history is preserved.

Ingrid_Doweary: Got kicked off again

Seventies Soulchild: well I think some acknowledgement is deserved. because now this person is being put on blast as if they did all the work

alt: and I don't OWN the information.

3rdthawkins: it depends on how bad it is, I don't mind if I help you or if I find some information/records for you, just helping, take the credit, but if I do the research, as Seventies said, acknowledge that someone helped you, don't give the impression you did it all by yourself it really hurts our pride when we are concerned about how others view us, to give credit where credit is due

alt: I put out a lot of stuff from a lot of sources... have to give just a 'generic' thanks to all who helped/// too many peeps to thank individually.

3rdthawkins: that could go both ways though right alt

Seventies Soulchild: ok what's with all the silence?

3rdthawkins: I was waiting for someone to remark/comment

vicky: you have some fingers lol

3rdthawkins: lol vicky

alt: I do get specific when I'm relate/reference a particular piece of work, but my TP site for example, how could I ever thank all of those who helped individually, by name... no way.

Seventies Soulchild: Ms vicky...lol you ought to be glad you're my elder... lol

vicky: lol lol

Seventies Soulchild: AND that I like you too! lol

vicky: oh yeah! sure glad of that

Selma: Good Monday afternoon folks

vicky: heyyy Selma

3rdthawkins: hello Selma

alt: you better be careful Seventies Soulchild ,, us 'older folks, don't play' LOL LOL Hello Selma

Selma: What did seventies say about us "older folks, alt? I can't scroll back to get the thread

alt: vicky was on Seventies Soulchild's case and she called her an "Elder" LOL

Selma: Alt just left a friend's house who has a picture of her step-fathers unit from WW I.....

Seventies Soulchild: oh wow...

Selma: She has his hat......

alt: wonderful Selma

vicky: thats wonderful

Seventies Soulchild: what was the unit?

alt: does she have a pic of him individually?

Selma: He enlisted in Arkansas lived in Ohio..belonged to the a Veterans Group in Ohio..she has that hat too.......I took pictures 142 Division......they were in France

alt: we lost one of my g-father in uniform w/my mother sitting on her mother's lap and the g-father standing beside them... truly a lost treasure.

Selma: No..no individual picture of him in uniform

vicky: how was it lost alt

Selma: She is trying to decide who to donate the picture to.........

alt: Hmmmn , he may have been in France with my g-father ,,, he was at Muesse-Argonne (sp)

Selma: I took a picture of the picture..she had it framed a number of years ago..

Seventies Soulchild: Hey, speaking of military history. I'm going to be heading to the library here on lunch hours starting when my children get out of school for the summer. If anyone needs lookups I'll see if I can help. Military lookups

Selma: Great seventies..is that for folks who went to West Point

Seventies Soulchild: alt is that where Matthew Broderick's grandfather (WDYTYA) was stationed?

alt: after my g-mother's sister passed away, it was one of her possessions that got lost in cleaning out her house.

Selma: Got the kids going to camp.....seventies?

Seventies Soulchild: They won't be out for another 2 wks... camp... lol ... work! they are teens now!

Selma: See thats why I want my friend to do something with this picture..before it is lost. OK......get em a job

alt: right Selma

Seventies Soulchild: lol

alt: about the picture Selma.. did you get the Tax Record pics?

Selma: There are 18 men in the picture.....somebody wrote numbers on them (not my friend) Yep alt.. Thanks

vicky: if they wrote numbers maybe the names came with it

alt: okay, images are a great way to send articles.

Selma: He only gave her the picture vicky.......no list......she said nothing was written on the back either......

alt: did this gentleman go into the military from AR, or Ohio?

Selma: He enlisted in Arkansas......

alt: oh, okay.... thanks

Selma: I will look him up on Ancestry......later She also has his discharge papers.......I made a copy for her..and for me

alt: wonderful

Seventies Soulchild: Wow...

alt: my son has a watch that belonged to my grandfather that he brought back from France.

Seventies Soulchild: I wish I could get my hands on something like that for my great-granddad.

Selma: He is buried in a Military cemetary in Ohio Will find out where alt..

alt: Is he at Dayton? I can get a picture

Selma: She said..but you know I can only keep but so much info in my head..forgot to write down

Seventies Soulchild: could you look him up on familysearch or ancestry?

alt: okay.. I;m near the VA cemeteries in Dayton & Chillicothe

Selma: Thats what I plan to do seventies

Seventies Soulchild: ok alt, is that pronounced Chili-coat? I've seen it here at work, just curious.

alt: Chill- ah- coth- e her in Ohio LOL

Seventies Soulchild: lol hey this is why I ask lol\

alt: glad you did... It was the name used by the Shawnee Indians for the village where their tribal chiefs lived... there are several places known as chillicothe here in Ohio.

vicky: History is so amazing

Seventies Soulchild: Isn't it though!

alt: sure is vicky

Seventies Soulchild: Oh this weekend I watched the documentary "Prince Among Slaves"

Selma: Great posting on mentors vicky

Seventies Soulchild: That was amazing...

vicky: thx sel!

alt: Yep Selma.. I was tempted to respond to vicky's post with a photo of my main mentor... Mrs. Ernestine G. Lucas

vicky: you should have alt!

Selma: I understand that alt......her book is a wonder

alt: Ran across some papers from Mrs. Lucas.... she was a charter member of AAHGS.. I hadn't realized that before.

vicky: in fact alt you still can.

alt: I might vicky... she was the first Query Editor for AAHGS and I have old AAHGS quarterly's with her responding to some of the queries.

Selma: Alt..and she did all that BEFORE, records were digitized..and available at the click of a key

alt: ain't that sumpin' Selma... that's why I'm so proud of her knowing her and her work and the interest she took in me.

Seventies Soulchild: ok its time to venture into Alabama. Y'all send up a prayers for me. . .

Selma: She knew you would be a good student......and take it and run, folks know Are you visiting or researching or both

vicky: you mean for your research

alt: ty Selma, really appreciate that compliment :)

Seventies Soulchild: For research...

alt: Hey they took off the 'hearts' icon LOL

Seventies Soulchild: oh nooooooo!!!

Selma: Hey we have all been to your website..she probably would be stunned herself to see all that you have found..alt Who is in Alabama seventies?

Seventies Soulchild: My dad's family is from Alabama. lots of folks still there all over the state. Dallas county and north

Selma: seventies..are you expecting problems

Seventies Soulchild: yes on one particular branch...

vicky: do you have anything to start with

Seventies Soulchild: Well I've done the census work, looked at obits for my grandfather and aunt... This is in reference to my Lanier line I have a lot of information I'm going to have to work with....

vicky: thats good seventies

Seventies Soulchild: and a little bit at the same time... lol

alt: Selma.. a building at Morgan State ..Pelham, or something like that...named for a co-founder of the school before it became known as MSU... I have some genealogy on him and his family from Hampahire co., VA and their work as abolitionist and UGRR people... Like a copy?

Selma: No thats OK alt..let me finish what you already sent me... I am a reader.......but even I have a limit

Seventies Soulchild: Alright, you all let me get back to work....

Selma: Let me finish Lucas' book first

Seventies Soulchild: later everyone!

Selma: I gotta run too.......have a great day

vicky: ok sel

alt: hey vicky.. want me to turn out the lights? LOL

vicky: lol thx alt, I will today

alt: okay

vicky: click

18 Dec 2002 :: 1 Feb 2009
Copyright © 2002-2008 by AfriGeneas. All rights reserved.
AfriGeneas ~ African Ancestored Genealogy