Try a new Ancestry.com Membership!

Domain Name Registration at GoDaddy.com 120x60

Footnote.com

Note: Please follow the link(s) on the navigation bar below to search additional messages that have been archived to conserve space. If no link is visible, no messages have been archived on this board.

2012-05-08 Lewis BARROW ~ NC

** Chats Lobby

Start: 20:33:14
End: 20:33:14
Chatters: Net1857

Net1857: I want to know who is related to Barrow Family from Craven County, North Carolina?

*TuesNite

Start: 20:34:51
End: 22:10:48
Chatters: AYWalton, Daviss, kindlefireuser, Net1857, Selma, Seventies Soulchild, vkn

kindlefireuser: Hello

Net1857: Anyone related to the Barrow Family?

kindlefireuser: Where is your family from Hello???

Net1857: The Barrow Family is from Craven County, NC.

Seventies Soulchild: Hello Net1857 and kindlefireuser

Net1857: Are you familar with Craven County, NC at all either of you?

Seventies Soulchild: I'm not related to the Barrows, but we do have a few very knowledgable NC researchers. they will be in a little later. In about 20 minutes

Net1857: Well let's hear some.

Seventies Soulchild: Freeaainnc is one of our best researchers. Do you have any specific person in the family that you are looking for or a specific timeframe?

Net1857: I am trying to locate Luey A. Barrow.

Seventies Soulchild: About what time frame was the person living? Slavery, Reconstruction, early 20th century?

Net1857: He was born 1820.

Seventies Soulchild: Oh was he a free person of color?

Net1857: I'm not sure when he was a free person of color.

Seventies Soulchild: Ok.. he's definitely from Craven Co, NC though. Let me do some checking looking at Ancestry now, give me a few moments

Net1857: yes

Seventies Soulchild: What records have you tried to located him in?

Net1857: Looked at the census.

Seventies Soulchild: I'm not completely familiar with the records from North Carolina since that is not my state of research. Have you tried to look at any record sets such as co-habitation records, marriage records, taxes?

Net1857: Is Craven County, NC the only place I can research his plant. papers at?

Seventies Soulchild: So Louis is white?

Net1857: He is between Mut. or black.

Seventies Soulchild: ok so what I found is a family tree on Ancestry for the Gram family with his name in it spelled Lewis. Is that your family? Hello Daviss

Daviss: hello there everyone!

Net1857: Would this be a Public Tree or private that you are looking at?

Daviss: Hey seventies!

Seventies Soulchild: Private tree.

Daviss: U2 tree hugging tonight lol

Net1857: That sounds like my tree.

Seventies Soulchild: ok lol yep You haven't been able to find him in any census records?

Daviss: what names are you looking for?

Seventies Soulchild: Louis/Lewis Barrow born 1820 in Craven County, NC

Net1857: I can only find him in the census records. I noticed he had several spellings for his name.

Seventies Soulchild: Let me redirect here. What type of documentation are you looking for Net1857?

Daviss: any relation to Joe?

Seventies Soulchild: Louis is always spelled differently on the census.

Net1857: I want to know when he came to the states and the places he resided at.

Seventies Soulchild: Ok so you think he came from another country?

Net1857: No relation to Joe, I was able to find that out.

Daviss: what is the earliest census did you find him?

Seventies Soulchild: Do the records that you have looked at indicate foreign birth?

kindlefireuser: Hello all.

Daviss: wb kindlefireuser

Net1857: I did locate him on the 1860 census record with his entire family.

Daviss: where was this net1857?

kindlefireuser: Thanks Daviss

Seventies Soulchild: Were they listed as free persons of color?

Daviss: whats going on kindlefifreuser?

Net1857: Yes they were free, their names and ages were listed. They listed in Beaufort County, NC.

Daviss: oops kindlefireuser lol where did the census say they were from?

kindlefireuser: Oh nothing. Just heard that this was a great place to get information about genealogy.

Daviss: did you check immigration records well we try kindleuser lol

Seventies Soulchild: lol most definitely!

Daviss: dang even though I can't spell lol net1857 where did your folks say they were from?

Seventies Soulchild: I would say that perhaps Net1857 should try looking around the last known place where Louis lived. Who did he live near

Net1857: I have not checked immigration records.

Seventies Soulchild: I think if he showed up in 1860, he may have been an FPOC

Daviss: hmm you asked when they came to the states I was wondering if you had an idea from where they originated

Seventies Soulchild: Are you in or near Craven Co. NC Net1857

Net1857: He would move back and forth to Craven County, NC and Beaufort County, NC.

Daviss: Hows your research coming along kindlefireuser

Seventies Soulchild: Ok now I'm confused here.

kindlefireuser: Slow

Seventies Soulchild: Tell us what you know about Louis Barrow.

kindlefireuser: I am just reading this interesting interaction

Net1857: I don't know as much I would like to know about Louis Barrow. I was able to look at his son's Louis Barrow civil war military and it was very interesting.

Seventies Soulchild: What do you know for a fact... that's what I'm asking so that I can assist you better.

Daviss: I would also like to hear that also. I came in late to chat. I think I heard you say that Louis was on the 1860 census right

kindlefireuser: ah who am I kidding lol I am an old User testing a new device. And I am logging out now. Be breezy

Daviss: lol

Seventies Soulchild: lol

Daviss: that one got cha huh kindlefireuser am I right net1857?

Seventies Soulchild: Hi Selma

Selma: Good evening folks.

Daviss: Hi selma!

Net1857: Louis Barrow was from Craven County, NC. I am not sure when he came to Beaufort County. I did see a Louis Barrow on the 1830, 1840 and 1850 census report.

Daviss: ok so how did you work yourself back to him starting with you?

Selma: So your Louis Barrow was a Free black

Seventies Soulchild: Did the 1830,'40 and '50 censuses list household members or just HOH? Anyone can answer that question.

Selma: The 30 and 40 only lists heads of households

Net1857: In the 1850 census it listed 2 Louis Barrows and Margaret Barrow. In 1840 and 1830 census record it only listed 1 Louis Barrow.

Seventies Soulchild: Ok so Louis Barrow in the 1830 and 40 censuses could have been CW Louis' father.

Selma: the 1850 is when all folks in the household are listed by name..except slaves

Seventies Soulchild: Is this what you want to know?

Net1857: They were listed Black. This is not what I want to know, I just trying to find out more info about him if possible.

Seventies Soulchild: So then they were FPOCs. Alright now we're making progress. I would suggest that you look for Louis in the book by Carter G. Woodson which lists FPOCs around the U.S. by state. You will probably need to go to the county where the Barrows lived and visit the courthouse to look for documents related to the family.

Selma: How old is he in 1850?

Seventies Soulchild: Have you been able to do that?

Selma: Or to the family history centers to order microfilm

Seventies Soulchild: Or do any of you all know any resources in NC that Net1857 may be able to utilize?

Net1857: I have been to Beaufort County, NC I was unable to find info on him there.

Seventies Soulchild: I should say specific to North Carolina

Selma: How old is he in 1850?

Seventies Soulchild: He would've been about 30 Selma.

Net1857: The only place I have not been there is Craven County, NC maybe I should try there next.

Selma: Does he own land?

Seventies Soulchild: Louis Barrow was born in about 1820 http://tinyurl.com/72x7o2s

Net1857: I'm not sure if he owned land or not.

Selma: Do you know when he dies..did the family belong to a particular church?

Net1857: You are saying search ancestry.c etc what is this?

Seventies Soulchild: Ancestry.com. Its the link to the census record with information about your ancestor.

Net1857: His son Louis Barrow mentioned in his military record that his father died while he was in the military.

Seventies Soulchild: You know Freeaainnc would be the go to person on this. Also Paul Heinngg, hope I didn't spell that wrong... lol

Selma: Which military record? Civil War? WWI?

Seventies Soulchild: Civil War Selma

Daviss: ok have you sent for the records from Nara net1857 oops sorry I see your answer on that net1857

Seventies Soulchild: brb

Selma: What military record was that Net..applying for a pension?

Net1857: I have his son Louis Barrow military record where I went to Washington, DC to get. I also have the military pension record.

Daviss: hi vkn!

vkn: Howdy 2 all Greetings and welcome Net1857

Selma: Howdy to you too vkn

Net1857: Greetings also.

Daviss: since nothing in the files listed his fathers birth, I would try mabe land records

Selma: Good evening AY

vkn: Hope all is well Selma and Daviss

Daviss: all is well vkn!

vkn: Howdy AYWalton hmmm thought I saw ayw enter

Selma: Folks..gotta run,have a good evening

vkn: ohhhhh there she be

Net1857: Would Craven County, NC be the only place I need to research.

Daviss: nite selma

AYWalton: Good evening al. I am multi-tasking---listening to the IL Gen Society Webinar

vkn: oh i see

Daviss: you have the civil war records, all the census records, you need land or tax records

Net1857: Is there anyone familiar with the NC Genealogy records for researching?

AYWalton: Not by experience, but I have many genealogy friends who research NC. their records are amazing.

vkn: Net1857 it sorta depends on what you are seeking to find

AYWalton: Hey SoulChile! what are you working on Net1857?

Seventies Soulchild: Hi Angela Hi VKN

Daviss: what she wants to find out is where and when her Barrows came to the states (NC) the son Louis was in the Civil war

Seventies Soulchild: Updating the laptop so I am using another device

Daviss: they are listed in the 1850 census

Net1857: Yes

Daviss: the only thing in the pension files is that his father died when he was away

Net1857: Yes

vkn: May need to work back from the death date

Daviss: I think she wants to know of other records that she would be able to get that may have the info that she needs on the Sr barrows

Net1857: Okay

AYWalton: Have you already used co-habitation records and other NC specific documents?

Daviss: what about a voter roll. What that list the state of birth?

Seventies Soulchild: Well that is definitely a good start. As well as finding Louis in each census from 1830 thru 1860

Daviss: I know Texas voter rolls did, not sure of other states

vkn: Alabama did not Daviss

AYWalton: I don't think every state did. I have never seen any for Arkansas.

Daviss: AYWalton and vkn they are listed as a complete family in the 1850 census

AYWalton: I see.

Net1857: I was at Raleigh, NC and Beaufort County, NC and I was unable to find the co-habitation records on them. I did not check Craven County, NC.

Daviss: what about Barnetta's book

vkn: What is the name bride and groom name of bride name of groom date and locale of wed

AYWalton: that data is so rich!

Net1857: The 1860 census record he was listed with wife and children. In the 1850 census record 2 Louis Barrows were listed and Margaret Barrow.

AYWalton: Most counties of NC were covered.

Daviss: what about newspapers at that time : Lewey Barrow Age: 40 Birth Year: abt 1810 Home in 1850: Washington, Beaufort, North Carolina Race: Black Gender: Female Family Number: 172 Household Members: Name Age Lewis Barrow 45 Lewey Barrow 40 Margaret Barrow 25

vkn: In what most recent census do you find each"

Daviss: is that them net net1857

Net1857: That is the 1850 census record.

AYWalton: going to run, folks. Back to the webinar.

Daviss: vkn do you know the name of the library that free works in? the one in North Carolina

vkn: State Dept Archives & History

Net1857: I hope it is near Craven County, NC I have not been there yet to research.

Daviss: I was thinking freeaainnc could give you a heads up

Net1857: Where is the library that free work in NC?

Daviss: The State Archives in NC let me see if I can find it real quick 'ok net1857, I could not find it but do me a favor. Free is one of the Forum managers on the FPOC forum here.

Net1857: Is this library in Raleigh, NC?

Daviss: would you post what you are looking for and she will answer you http://www.afrigeneas.com/forum-fpoc/ Free also has a web page

Net1857: Thanks, I am writing down the info.

Daviss: this is one of her pages http://www.freeaainnc.com/ write down that last one also net1857 I wish I could help you more with NC net1857

Net1857: I wrote down both of them. Would I be able to send him a email now? You helped more than you know.

Daviss: the first one, you post on the Forum. the second link you may be able to gather more info on the post make sure you ask the name of the library you can post that now click on that first link if you lose the addy just come back to afrigeneas on the main forum there is a dropdown menu that lists the Forum names you will see FPOC

Net1857: no

Daviss: the drop down menu will say Forum

18 Dec 2002 :: 1 Feb 2009
Copyright © 2002-2008 by AfriGeneas. All rights reserved.
AfriGeneas ~ African Ancestored Genealogy