Try a new Ancestry.com Membership!

Domain Name Registration at GoDaddy.com 120x60

Footnote.com

Note: Please follow the link(s) on the navigation bar below to search additional messages that have been archived to conserve space. If no link is visible, no messages have been archived on this board.

2012-05-07 Help for the beginning Genealogist

*LunchBunch

Start: 12:04:43
End: 13:01:33
Chatters: alt, AYWalton, Daviss, fierybug08, Selma, Seventies Soulchild

alt: what's up Ms Seventies Soulchild?

Seventies Soulchild: Hello alt! Not too much. I was reading over the forums last night and was surprised about a particular post I read. Hey Daviss

Daviss: hello alt and seventies!

alt: hi Ms Daviss, how "be's" ya okay Seventies Soulchild, I'll bite, what posting is that?

Daviss: good, thanks alt, and you?

Seventies Soulchild: I was trying to help a poster who couldn't find the name of her gg grandfather. and I felt she kind of blew me off...

alt: getting better Daviss .. thanks

Daviss: wonderful alt!

Seventies Soulchild: Webb and Mary Robinson/Roberson thread in Scott County, MS

Daviss: oh lol I was looking for that person also

Seventies Soulchild: I found them in like 5 minutes

alt: how did she 'blow you off'?

Seventies Soulchild: She told me she didn't know the death date of her ancestor and was like 'thank you'... I was thinking to myself, 'dont you know how to research that?' But I had to remember not everyone is at the same skill level.

alt: you have to almost have a 'thick skin' when helping some folks on the Forums... they either don't know what to say, or how to say it.

Daviss: did you find the death date seventies?

alt: say thank you...

Seventies Soulchild: No, but there are several of my own people where they have disappeared between decades, their spouses lived with someone after their presumed deaths (mainly wives) etc etc. all types of clues that someone is dead. But I really wanted to tell her to read the beginners guide.

alt: or they often say 'I have that, or that's not what I was looking for" and you want to say .. please READ what you wrote.

Seventies Soulchild: I told her twice to contact MDAH to get the DCs for the siblings of Webb and for Webb.

alt: that takes some work on their part Seventies Soulchild LOL LOL

Seventies Soulchild: If you want the information, you'll get it. bottom line From her other posts its like she wants AfriGeneas to do all the research on her behalf. I don't mind helping, especially MS researchers, but I have my own research to do.

Daviss: I see where Lyndam chimed in?

Seventies Soulchild: yes, I'm glad she did.. My response would've been wordy. lol And then there are some things you just need to find out for yourself. Hi fierybug08!

alt: I think that's where we AfriGeneas 'regulars' have made a mistake in the past...we've often given folks too much information rather than telling/showing them where their information is located and how to go about obtaining it.

fierybug08: hello everyone *virtual wave* Seventies Soulchild alt daviss

Daviss: I just looked at her response seventies and alt and you can tell that she is inexperienced

Seventies Soulchild: You know is there a guide on how to research in Mississippi???

fierybug08: no ma'am *smiles*

alt: Hello fierybug08, how are ya?

Daviss: when she stated she looked at Make she "assumed" it was not her ancestor

fierybug08: good. I'm making it. No complaints

Daviss: She did not know spelling doesn't count

alt: that's nice to hear fierybug08

fierybug08: one week break and then summer school

Seventies Soulchild: Right also with the Francis and Webb in 1910. She presumed that Francis was a second wife. But all of the children were the same from prevoius census records.

Daviss: Hi fierybug08!

Seventies Soulchild: Additionally, Mary is actually Mariah.

fierybug08: hey daviss...I'm playing catchup

Daviss: yes

Seventies Soulchild: I saw the marriage index extract on Ancestry. Oh I said Mariah, I hope that I don't lose the connection.. lol

Daviss: don't you know we are those green falling leaves lol lol

alt: inexperience often means they don't know how to look at more than 1 record involving a situation and/or how to connect them to other records that may shed some light on what they are looking for Seventies Soulchild

Daviss: yeah, you better watch it lol

Seventies Soulchild: lol Daviss *muah*

Daviss: lol lol lol So you pick and choose your Ms folks seventies

Seventies Soulchild: Whatcha talkin' bout Daviss?? No. I just happened to really be reading the boards over the weekend lol

Daviss: all those peeps on the board and you saw Ms hehehehe you got me doing that

fierybug08: dang Seventies...thanks for the tip. Order DCs for siblings. I didn't think of that. *bright lights*

Seventies Soulchild: Honestly, MS is a record set that I've grown to love... and become familiar with. LOL Mariah got her!

fierybug08: lol

alt: I enjoyed jhonora's response to the lady who thought her family's 'passing' was a big secret.. he stated that the family passing was common knowledge and had been for years & years.

Seventies Soulchild: ssshhhh Daviss is back! lol Was that in the Creole Forum alt?

fierybug08: lol...Daviss

alt: I think so Seventies Soulchild .. I read it under Recent Messages.

Daviss: lol you should love Ms records, honestly :?

Seventies Soulchild: Ok I see it alt.

alt: what course will you be taking in summer school fierybug08?

fierybug08: Indexing & Abstracting Information and Intro to the Dewey Decimal Classification DDC will be a snore...indexing will be cool. :)

alt: okay... ugh, you can have Dewey LOL LOL

Daviss: I see jhonora knew the family and gave a contact number

Seventies Soulchild: lol DDC has always been a total snooze. When are they going to get rid of that?

AYWalton: Good afternoon, all.

Seventies Soulchild: Good afternoon AYWalton

alt: I guess, but don't you need to know DDC to understand the library indexing/cataloging process?

AYWalton: Howdy alt, Daviss, fierybug, SoulChile!

alt: Hello AYWalton

fierybug08: well unfortunately a lot of public libraries still use it. The local college I work at still uses DDC too hi AYWalton

Daviss: hello Aywalton!!

AYWalton: hope you are all well.

Daviss: well as well can be AYWalton!

AYWalton: I hear ya Daviss!

alt: how did your inaugural class go last Thurs, AYWalton re:hands on genealogy research

AYWalton: it went really well. we had 8 folks show up. Several bought laptops and I think everyone had a good time and found something or learned something. I was pleased

alt: wonderful AYWalton .. that's a nice size group to work with.

AYWalton: It surely was. I am getting calls about the class as well. One lady wanted to know if we were having night classes. (which we are not)

alt: hehehehehhe, she has the "bug" LOL

AYWalton: I guess so! I was happy to help one man who had been stuck for several years.

Daviss: thats nice AYWalton

AYWalton: he always had the clues but just did not know what to do with them.

alt: his problem??? didn't know the resources available and where to go?????

Daviss: I bet the bulb came on then AYWalton

AYWalton: I think so. and how to look at every detail on those census records. yes it did. I have found more on his family since then, but I want him to find it.

alt: yep, helping those folks is a real 'feel good moment'.

Daviss: Hello Selma

AYWalton: Greetings Mizz Selma! fierybug08 are you doing research these days?

Selma: Good afternoon good folks

alt: we were just talking about that AYWalton .. it's much better to show folks where to go and how to research than it is to 'give' them the information

Selma: Where was the class held AY?

alt: Hello Selma

AYWalton: plus I think they will retain more of it when they find it. Selma it was at the Historical Society of Baltimore County.

alt: you bet AYWalton

AYWalton: (north of Towson)

fierybug08: well...this semester was rather rough. I had an exhausting class this semester. I was going to go to the DC Census thing last weekend, but they cancelled it at the last minute.

Selma: I agree with helping folks..learn to do the research

AYWalton: which DC Census thing, fierybug?

fierybug08: dog....I missed it.

AYWalton: Oh you mean the event at the Family History Center.

Seventies Soulchild: Hi Selma!

fierybug08: DC has an annual DC Family History Center program.

AYWalton: they had a space problem at Kensington. Apparently a big whig from Utah was bringing in a group of people so his position trumped a free genealogy workshop so they had to cancel to give the big whig his space.

Selma: Well..it is their space...LOL

Daviss: looking at Selma lol

fierybug08: hmmm...*eye rolls* They probably were scared of the turnout. It was tight last year.

AYWalton: they have been having it for several years, so that was an odd thing to happen for sure.

Daviss: brb

Seventies Soulchild: brb

AYWalton: alt is NGS this week?

alt: yep, starts Wednesday

Selma: You all packed and ready alt

AYWalton: I know you said you are going on Saturday. How long a drive is that for you?

alt: bout 1 1/2 hours.. and I'm only going for Saturday Selma to see Shelley.

AYWalton: I am glad that you are going to show some support for her. That is what I hope folks will do.

Seventies Soulchild: That's great! Tell her the crew from Afrigeneas says 'Hi'

AYWalton: she is the only speaker of color in the Afr. Am track, and she might be the only one of color in the conference but I am not sure.

Daviss: ok back are you turning around alt or you spending the night?

alt: I think the KY group, AAGGKY has a bus load going for the Saturday sessions, which is the day they have 'tracked/scheduled" all of the AA presentations. just down and back for the day Daviss... I'm not feeling up to the 'rigors' of a Conference. LOL

AYWalton: I don't blame them. They start early in the morning and go most of the day. I think Shelly's time is mid-morning but not sure.

Daviss: nice drive then

alt: yeah, her presentation is slated for 11"00 AM

AYWalton: that's good. Go to her session, breeze through the exhibit hall have a nice lunch and then head home. That would be a good day, actually.

alt: that's exactly my 'plan' AYWalton LOL

Daviss: alt, have you heard from Irita?

AYWalton: not in a long time, Daviss. maybe alt has, though.

alt: talked with her last week Daviss, she's doing fine.. getting ready for her 'reunion' season here in Ohio & WV.

AYWalton: oh that's good to hear, alt!

Selma: Tell her to come visit us here in the chat alt

alt: I have Selma, don't know what her problem with chat is.

Daviss: thanks alt...

Selma: Tell her we type slow.. LOL

Daviss: lol lol Selma

alt: still type slow LOL LOL I do she she is very busy managing several MyFamily.com websites and doing work in the Muskegon/Grand Rapids area for AA researchers. do know

AYWalton: ah that's right she is in Muskegon.

Daviss: good for her alt! I assume her son is doing well. Did he graduate yet?

Seventies Soulchild: I don't type slow.. lol

Daviss: I know seventies, I guess you go shopping while I type lol

alt: not sure about her son Daviss .... but she has been keeping her Mom pretty active since they lost Mr. Goins.

Daviss: ok alt

AYWalton: well I had better run, folks. Have a good day.

alt: later

Selma: Time for me to run too ..have a great day

Seventies Soulchild: lol Daviss, you know it! lol

alt: folks jumping ship...

Seventies Soulchild: Yep..

Daviss: ok alt, its our turn..let Seventies get the lights this time. She ain't doing nothing lol

Seventies Soulchild: what?? lol lol lol

alt: tell her bout it Daviss LOL LOL

Daviss: hahahahaha

Seventies Soulchild: You two are terrible! lol Alright well have a good afternoon! lol byeeee

alt: and like Rank, Age has it's privileges

Daviss: you see that alt!

alt: she split on us LOL LOL

Daviss: hahahahaha

alt: young whipper-snapper LOL

Daviss: talk at cha later alt lol

alt: bye

Daviss: bye

18 Dec 2002 :: 1 Feb 2009
Copyright © 2002-2008 by AfriGeneas. All rights reserved.
AfriGeneas ~ African Ancestored Genealogy