Try a new Ancestry.com Membership!

Domain Name Registration at GoDaddy.com 120x60

Footnote.com

Note: Please follow the link(s) on the navigation bar below to search additional messages that have been archived to conserve space. If no link is visible, no messages have been archived on this board.

2012-05-02 Indexing • Searching • Finding

*LunchBunch

Start: 12:04:20
End: 13:21:36
Chatters: alt, AYWalton, daviss, fierybug08, Selma, Seventies Soulchild, vkn

daviss: Hi Seventies and alt!

alt: what's going on ladies? how are you both doing today? daviss & Seventies Soulchild

daviss: I am doing good alt, what about you?

Seventies Soulchild: hi alt and daviss all is going ok

alt: anything going on that's 'hot' in the world of genealogy that y'all know of?

Seventies Soulchild: no... the 1940 census transcription is coming along. My state MS is at 96%

daviss: I know of nothing in my arena alt I wish the Ill death certificates were online?

Seventies Soulchild: Oh my cousin Wendy called last night.. I think I mentioned that in chat.

daviss: not the index

alt: I was looking at the 1940 census for DC, the indexed portion on Ancestry and found the mother, as a widow, and grandmother of a cousin in MD has has done a lot of research on her ggg- grandmother, Carrie Williams Clifford.

daviss: Wendy?

alt: some Ill

Seventies Soulchild: Yes the grandchild of my great grandfather's sister Margaret Washington-Reynolds

daviss: I would like the image

alt: some Ill death records are online daviss, up to I think about 1926 or so.

Seventies Soulchild: Any news on the SSDI legislation

daviss: story of my life alt :? I need 1935 is that on FS alt

alt: there may be some for that time frame daviss I haven't checked lately. No, it is an Illinois State Archive website daviss try www.illinois.gov

daviss: oh its the vitacheck

Seventies Soulchild: everyone has a hustle.

alt: no, not vitalcheck, but a State Archive site for Illinois, perhaps I gave the wrong link.

Seventies Soulchild: I watched this earlier this am http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XUiG4NnKRqs

daviss: ok cause thats where it took me alt thanks loads though

Seventies Soulchild: Ainsley Harriot's WDYTYA.. he's one of my favorite chefs!

daviss: ok thanks seventies for the link ..I will look later

Seventies Soulchild: you know I wish there was a GNN (Genealogy News Network) so we can keep abreast of EVERYTHING genealogy! lol

daviss: ancestry has something like that don't they? It comes on late night here I forgot the name of the show

alt: oh no, that would be too much for me Seventies Soulchild, can't get anything done now for the 'plethora' of sites, blogs, etc. to look at

daviss: lol lol

Seventies Soulchild: lol

alt: and isn't that what GenealogWise was 'supposed' to ... a genealogy 'catchall'.

Seventies Soulchild: I didn't get that impression. Thought it was a social network for people interested in genealogy.

daviss: I did not scour all of Genealogywise alt to get that opinion

alt: A GNN would be different????

daviss: just went to a couple of peoples pages

alt: hello vkn,

Seventies Soulchild: it was just a joke. . . lol hi vkn

vkn: Good afternoon to each and all

daviss: I put in several inquiries but never got anything concrete

alt: t don't joke .... LOL

daviss: hello vkn!

vkn: alt seventies daviss

daviss: seems like there was very little noise on my state of texas, so I don't go anymore alt

alt: vkn, read the "Skip" piece ... and the comments about it...

vkn: About an indexing project for AfriGeneas ?? y'all interested in supporting such effort

daviss: oh vkn, not me at this time

Seventies Soulchild: What are we indexing? Any special collections?

daviss: I thought about it earlier but that was after indexing so many on two different fronts

alt: me neither at this time vkn... signed up for doing some indexing for AAGGMV ... and 2 OGS county societies at this time.

vkn: Tyler Perru had BIG fire at his studios last evening here in Atlanta

Seventies Soulchild: oh really?

alt: oh my!!!!

daviss: You are talking about the 1940 census arent you vkn

vkn: yes I am

daviss: I saw that on the news about Perry's studio

vkn: He is located about 2 miles from my location

alt: using what Ancestry already has indexed I can't wait for the complete 1940 census to be indexed... the Ancestry parameters are really nice for their indexed searches.

daviss: I hate to hear that vkn, have they found the cause yet?

vkn: investigating

daviss: How many peeps do you have signed up already for the project vkn?

vkn: Klisa says she has over 60,000 records completed that she would assignto Afrigeneas. We would need to start from scratch BUT I cannot take on anything new AfriGeneas

daviss: I hear ya vkn

alt: I hear ya vkn.. and an AfriGeneas admimistrator/coordinator is the key to a 'group' effort, right?

vkn: That is correct alt.

daviss: what about your group, where you live vkn, would they be interested?

vkn: More than that alt we need a volunteer coordinator.

alt: think a posting on the Forums asking for someone to 'step-up' and voluteer to guide an AfriGeneas effort would be beneficial?

vkn: Not knowing Daviss I would be afraid to say or to ask lol

daviss: lol vkn

alt: Indexing might be one of these things AfriGeneas might have to let just 'slide on by'.

vkn: alt I did post such a post but no response also on the mailing list I did express my limitations

Seventies Soulchild: hi fierybug08

alt: I thought I saw your request for someone to step up to the plate vkn.... no takers, huh?

vkn: fierybug howdy and glad to C ya

daviss: well shut my mouf, its firrybug08!! hi fierybug08

fierybug08: Hello glorious ones...how I have missed you guys. Virtual waves to Seventies Soulchild alt daviss vkn *hugs* to daviss

vkn: No hands offered alt

daviss: lol

alt: hello fierybug08

fierybug08: hmm...vkn...I saw that call for organizing

daviss: I think most peeps want to pick and chose what they want to index vkn lol me, I would choose my area :?

fierybug08: I don't think I would, I sometimes worry about the clarity from the records. I wouldn't mind indexing. Me and Daviss can tackle Texas...lol

alt: and also a lot of genealogy groups have already organized indexing projects of their own.

fierybug08: I wonder if people are actually putting in the right letters or understanding the spelling of things.

Seventies Soulchild: Well I mean, that's logical to select the area that you work or research in.

daviss: I helped with ancestry for about a year and it does get taxing trying to decipherg the handwriting was a bummer

fierybug08: It would be nice to partner with a local college to do some genealogy. I am thinking about Clayton State. They are right next to the SE NARA & GA Archives.

daviss: but as the years went by it became better lol

fierybug08: oops...indexing.

vkn: well see the HomeBoy response/challenge to on 1940 census thread

Seventies Soulchild: I read that. :)

daviss: better until the enumerator got tired and started to run on his words

Seventies Soulchild: goodness its chilly in the office right now...

daviss: I read that challenge vkn

fierybug08: hi Selma

Seventies Soulchild: Hello Selma

daviss: Hi Selma!

alt: hello Selma

vkn: Howdy Selma

Selma: Good afternoon (is it still morning where you are daviss?)..everyone

daviss: yes lol only 9 48

AYWalton: Good afternoon, all.

Seventies Soulchild: Hi AYWalton

fierybug08: hi AYWalton

vkn: Howdy AYWalton

daviss: afternoon AYWalton!

alt: hello AYWalton

AYWalton: Howdy alt, daviss, fierybug08, Miss Selma, SoulChile greetings,vkn!!!

Seventies Soulchild: daviss we appreciate you getting up extra early to chat with us

Selma: Afternoon

daviss: I just bet you do lol

Selma: I have been indexing..only did 1 batch for VA..then it shut down. Been doing DC and Louisiana..interesting

daviss: I only rolled over once this morning lol

Selma: LOL

Seventies Soulchild: lol daviss

Selma: My theory is..if you don't volunteer at least to do a couple..don't complain about the other folks work.. LOL

vkn: Selma why did it shut down if you are free to say

daviss: very well said Selma

vkn: Good motto to follow Selma

Selma: I think that all the batches had already been taken, I believe that VA is complete now but has not been uploaded..

alt: I ain't indexing and I won't complain Selma LOL

Selma: You know VA folks were probably going nuts..trying to finish it first

Selma: I will remember that seventies.. LOL

vkn: okies lol

Seventies Soulchild: Why must the VA people always try to finish first?

Selma: Because..

Seventies Soulchild: ok lol

alt: I was saying earlier that using what Ancestry has indexed at this point looks 'promising'.

Selma: We have a very large obsessive compulsive researchers here..including myself

alt: Ancestry just released the 1940 indexed images for DC. found some DC kinfolk using their indexed search.

Seventies Soulchild: Well rock on VA resarchers!

Selma: So we are going to have 3 "indexed" 1940 census to choose from

Seventies Soulchild: Has anyone been to Archives.com since 1 April?

alt: it would have taken forever using ED's since I have no idea of the DC gepography.

AYWalton: I have occasionally, but the images are too large when opened, and I can see an entire page at a glance on Ancestry.

daviss: I wonder how far have they gotten on Texas

Selma: Ancestry has been easy to use..I didn't bother with ARchives after listening to all of ou

Seventies Soulchild: ok I'd been using the Steve Morse links... and have had the same experience

daviss: you can adjust those seventies

Seventies Soulchild: I just go to Ancestry and look at the image

vkn: Cannot the image size be controlled by browser settings

daviss: just to the right as you look at your puter is a gage

Seventies Soulchild: I have one of those flat screen monitors about 19 in I think

alt: on Ancestry, right daviss .. and the 'hand grabby' thing works well for scrolling the page up/down ... left/right

Selma: We are so technical..the hand grabby thingamajig

Seventies Soulchild: and resizing the image. I like the latest interface

daviss: yes Ancestry has that also

alt: you like my technical terminology, huh Selma LOL LOL

Selma: It was exactly what I would and do say.. LOL

alt: great minds LOL LOL

daviss: Fierybug08 have you been to the Archives yet?

vkn: lol

Seventies Soulchild: no comment... lol lol lol

Selma: AY..is the bbenn article in the Post today I haven't checked yet

fierybug08: yes...sorry. I went to the Archives and have my Researcher ID. I just haven't been back yet

AYWalton: I looked online and did not see it. They said either Wednesday or Thursday.

Selma: Ok..will check later

AYWalton: I will be going out shortly and will check a hard copy issue.

fierybug08: And I feel like I can complain about indexing because I have done at least 250 prior to the 1940 Census release.

AYWalton: fierybug you indexed 250 pages before it was released?

Selma: Good for you fiery..

fierybug08: I'm multi-tasking so that's why I am not contributing [chatting] today

AYWalton: how was that done?

Seventies Soulchild: that's great fierybug08!

vkn: Good for your pre work fiery

fierybug08: you download the familysearch program on your desktop. You go through the tutorial and then go in and type what you see on the paper.

Seventies Soulchild: What newspaper is bbenn supposed to be in?

AYWalton: wow that's interesting. Soulchile she will be in the Washington Post.

fierybug08: It goes through 3 people before it gets published.

Seventies Soulchild: thanks.

AYWalton: It is about the group that she works with at the Family History Center near Washington.

fierybug08: okay...I'll make sure to read it.

Selma: You know AY..family search has ongoing transcribing projects going on

AYWalton: they stayed 4 hours taking photos of the group.

fierybug08: you know they cancelled the Family History Center genealogy fair this year

AYWalton: it is an all African American group that meets every week. yes they had a spacing conflict.

daviss: anything new on the under count AYWalton?

AYWalton: Apparently a big whig in the LDS church was scheduled to come and the big whig was given preference of the facility and bumped out the folks using it from the conference. daviss, I have not heard any more.

daviss: ok thx

AYWalton: I have been searching to see if he ever wrote anything, but apparently not yet. and I cannot find anything in writing about any major under-count. I think he thought he was onto something but apparently most folks are finding their people.

daviss: me either AYWalton

AYWalton: (except I still can't find my daddy!) lol

daviss: lol lol

alt: were the census enumerators for the 1940 census hired under a WPA program?

AYWalton: I don't know alt?

daviss: dunno alt..

AYWalton: I had not heard that.

fierybug08: Well...I'll see you guys later. I have to get back to work.

AYWalton: ok fierybug.

daviss: had you heard that alt. I did have an uncle that was the enumerator in 1930

AYWalton: I would think that they were federal employees.

daviss: and anso in 1920 also

alt: NO daviss, I was just speculating about the numbers of enumerators for 1940 and hiw they may have been hired.

daviss: He was a teacher OIC

Selma: There was an article writteny by a woman who was an enumerator for the 1930..

Seventies Soulchild: Do you all find that the questions asked on this census helpful in your research?

daviss: Ha! 10 oops

Selma: She was a young white woman..

daviss: you mean in 1940

Seventies Soulchild: yes

alt: weel in recent years there have been speical funds set aside for hiring census worker/enumarators each censu year.. thought of the time & WPA for 1940 & coming out of the depression

Selma: She worked in a black section of town..no for the 1930 seventies..

daviss: well yes for me seventies it gave a picture of who they were and what they did

Seventies Soulchild: ok

Selma: Have to find the article..I think she wrote that you got more money if you counted more folks

Seventies Soulchild: interesting.

alt: yeah 1940 had some good stuff... highest level of education, where you resided in 1935, how much money you made in 1939.

Seventies Soulchild: Isn't that practice still in use today? The more people in a ED the more access they have to federal funding?

vkn: Selma that is one reason we find a family counted more than once

Selma: Ah... Oops my Plumber is here..thank goodness..kitchen sink backed up..talk to you all later

Seventies Soulchild: bye Selma

alt: good luck Selma

daviss: bye sel

vkn: okies selma

Seventies Soulchild: you all have a good day. See you later.

daviss: heyyy

alt: well,let me see if I can find last weeks epsiode of Finding You Roots on the 'pueter.

daviss: seventies beat Selma to the punch oh yes, I need to look at that also alt

alt: later's y'all

daviss: bye

vkn: It was a good session in my view

daviss: I want to see next weeks with margaret cho/chu hers may be interesting. I kink of like her humour kink = kind

vkn: Y'all be good

daviss: ok vkn AYWalton! lol

AYWalton: sorry was on the phone.

daviss: all these red dresses in here lol

AYWalton: well I had bettern run as well., yall take care. have a good one.

daviss: later

18 Dec 2002 :: 1 Feb 2009
Copyright © 2002-2008 by AfriGeneas. All rights reserved.
AfriGeneas ~ African Ancestored Genealogy