Try a new Ancestry.com Membership!

Domain Name Registration at GoDaddy.com 120x60

Footnote.com

Note: Please follow the link(s) on the navigation bar below to search additional messages that have been archived to conserve space. If no link is visible, no messages have been archived on this board.

2010-06-13

*SunMornBrnch

Start: 11:10:25
End: 12:59:15
Chatters: 3rdthawkins, alt, AYWalton, jhonora, Khathu, Khathu], Selma, Seventies Soulchild, vicky

3rdthawkins: hello Seventies guess the party hasn't started yet

Seventies Soulchild: ok now we have three folks

jhonora: Morning 70s, 3rd

3rdthawkins: hello Ja-honorooo

Seventies Soulchild: Good morning 3rd and jhonora

jhonora: Are we early or late y'all?

3rdthawkins: Ja-honorow both :} we're earlate

Seventies Soulchild: lol I'm on our time...lol

jhonora: Honoraay lol

3rdthawkins: I was going for Geronomo with the Ja lol

Seventies Soulchild: ok so what's good? jhonora have you finished your reunion book?

3rdthawkins: hello alt

alt: hey 3rd, johonra & 70's how all y'all today?

3rdthawkins: we're good

Seventies Soulchild: Good morning alt. Good and yourself?

alt: Oops, jhonora okay Seventies Soulchild .. you've got a BRB thingee with your name.

Seventies Soulchild: oh let me take that off... thanks

alt: yw guess AYWalton is either in B'ham or on the way

Seventies Soulchild: Oh yes, she was set to leave today She said that she was on the hunt for some good BBQ... lol

alt: 3rdthawkins, have you gotten squared away with your LUM's? are they AA?

3rdthawkins: Yes, I believe they are AA....I was trying to tell ryan yesterday before he left I didn't think that Moses was mine because he was in MS, white and my grgr was most probably living in SC in 1880

alt: that's what I thought you were telling him

3rdthawkins: that name shows up a few times in S.C. death records, but nothing pointing me to my grgr gm............I'm trying to get enough money to be able to order a few of her kids' SS apps to see what they put for her maiden name I'm in between Perkins and Lum..........Perkins is listed as her maiden name in her son's death certificate

alt: I see familtsearch has added the beginnings of a few more Ohio databases... 1821-1962 birth & baptism....1800-1958 an Index of Ohio marriages & 1854-1997 index to deaths & burials.

3rdthawkins: but from the research that my gf's sister did, she has Lum for the maiden name and Perkins was a name for her (my grgr gm)'s mother

alt: another possible to solve, but at least you have some clues and a starting point.

3rdthawkins: my grgr gm has other siblings that went by the Perkins last name, but I cannot find them in census

alt: jhonora.. are you with us?

jhonora: I'm here alt

alt: I was also reading where Ohio has spent 13.9 million to build a Statewide County Birth & Death database Index ... Index searches will be online & free. you were so quiet jhonora

jhonora: When did Ohio start recordation of births/deaths?

3rdthawkins: wow, alt

alt: at the county level in 1867 .. State mandate in 1907 B & D index to be up & workable by the end of 2010.

jhonora: That is great, here in La. if you are outside of N.O., Baton Rouge or Shreveport, you are out of luck.

3rdthawkins: I would like to know if there was any mention of my grgr grandfather Edd Hughes's death in LA (Longwood, Caddo Parish) in 1952 in the newspapers

alt: and you can often find births & deaths recorded at the township level in county records as early as the twonship formation which may be as early as 1810 or so.

3rdthawkins: I could order his DC but I'm not sure if it will supply me with any more info than I already have

jhonora: I think the black paper in Shreveport was off-an-on. Was he an important man?

3rdthawkins: lol no

jhonora: I think the paper focused more on the socialite blacks of Shreveport.

3rdthawkins: he was a lowly farmer, so I dont' think he would get much recognition, maybe just a DC but $5 isn't bad for a DC though

jhonora: 3rd, he was married to Katie. Born to Edd and Rosetta Hughes in Waksom, TX??

3rdthawkins: yes

jhonora: They have La. deaths on pilot.familysearch.org

3rdthawkins: yeah, that's where I found it, I was wondering if there was an obit, I know they can tell more than a DC but I believe Katie, my grgr gm was the informant, from the index, I can tell she did a great job with the information, just wish she had included maiden name for Rosetta that way I have another record to compare with Ed's other siblings

alt: how old was he when he died in 1952?

3rdthawkins: 80

jhonora: You should check with the Broadmoor Library.

3rdthawkins: if you go by the birth year 1872, which she did

alt: okay, so you at least have some census records from prior to 1930

3rdthawkins: I have all of them

jhonora: They are on Captain Shreve Drive in Shreveport.

alt: aren't his siblings listed.at least for 1880?

3rdthawkins: yes

jhonora: Did any of them die in La., you could check their dc's?

3rdthawkins: only six lived to adulthood, I have DC for all six, they just about agree with the Copeland surname, though spelling is off on one or two, the oldest only "disagree" but I question the informant any way her daughter

alt: does the LA death index have the 'advanced search' feature where you can use just names of parents first & last?

3rdthawkins: No jhonora, all TX hello Selma

alt: hello Selma

Selma: Good morning sunday brunchers 3rd, alt, jhonora, and seventies when she returns

3rdthawkins: I don't have John Hughes' DC

jhonora: Morning Selma, found a McMurray from the article!!!

3rdthawkins: so scratch that, I only have five of the six

Seventies Soulchild: I'm here multitasking... :)

Selma: Is that one of the men that was in the picture..is he a relative

alt: then I wouldn't get hung up on the spelling variations 3rdthawkins

jhonora: The name was familiar, so I called a genealogist friend who knows everybody. She had a McMurray co-worker. Its the lady's uncle in the picture! Even militarily, all roads to Va.

Selma: LOL

alt: reading a wonderful article on "Practical Applications" for Ohio Tax List... Man, I never realized the information contained in those list.

3rdthawkins: yes, I was checking some of those Tax lists out for S.C., good information

alt: this is Personal & Property Tax list for the county... man, they got everybody.

Selma: They have whole seminars here in using tax lists

3rdthawkins: hello Khathu

Selma: The Tax Man and the Undertaker..will always find you

Khathu]: hello everyonr

alt: Yes Selma, this article is from a seminar on Ohio Tax list.. would you like a copy?

Seventies Soulchild: lol Selma

3rdthawkins: I think the one I was looking at was Tax Assessment, don't know if they are the same

Selma: Why yes I would...alt..to add to my collection..will look for some of my handouts for you too

alt: Hello Khathu

Selma: I don't want to forget found new book at my library..Railroads in the African American Experience by Theodore Kornweibel, jr.

alt: I can scan the article bout 4-5 pages and send the images for you to print.

Seventies Soulchild: World Cup New...Ghana beats Serbia 1 to nil! Woo hoo!

Selma: Oh good idea alt...

Khathu: Go Ghana!

alt: just saw that Khathu

Selma: Afternoon Khathu

Seventies Soulchild: That's what I was multitasking... lol

Khathu: More like good morning Selma. I'm in California

Seventies Soulchild: Hi Khathu

3rdthawkins: thanks for keeping us up on the sports news Ms. ESPN

Khathu: visiting my mother

AYWalton: Good afternoon, all.

Seventies Soulchild: LOL

3rdthawkins: hello AY

Seventies Soulchild: Hi AYWalton

alt: hello AYWalton.. You in DA'Ham?

AYWalton: Hello 3rd, alt, khathu, Ms. Selma, SoulChile.

jhonora: Good morning, AYWalton!

AYWalton: Yes sir---coming to you from Da'Ham, for sure! all checked in and chillin!

alt: wonderful AYWalton, glad to hear of your safe arrival

AYWalton: thanks, alt! Howdy Ms. Selma!!! wish you were here!

Selma: Hey Ms AY..you still in town.. Are you there yet.........I am so, so jealous

AYWalton: I am in Da 'Ham and chillin' in my room.

alt: AYWalton, found a Bio of 'Rick' Barrett that was used for a Family Reunion bout 10 years.. very interesting.

AYWalton: and it is H - O - T!!!

Selma: See anyone else yet

AYWalton: oh really alt. would love to see it!

3rdthawkins: hello vicky

jhonora: This weekend is the big reunion y'all, wish me luck..

AYWalton: Howdy Ms. Vicky!!!

alt: hello vicky

AYWalton: this weekend, jhonora?

3rdthawkins: God Bless Jhonora

vicky: hello all!

AYWalton: you mean this coming weekend?

alt: t a copy AYWalton?

jhonora: Good mornin, vicky.

Selma: Morning Ms Vicky

AYWalton: as in next weekend?

Khathu: good morning vicky

AYWalton: yes, I would love to see a copy, alt!

alt: want a copy AYWalton

jhonora: The weekend coming, 19-20

Khathu: vicky i'm in your time zone

AYWalton: yes, I would love to have a copy, alt.

Khathu: Much success with the reunion jhonora

AYWalton: told you I had a mad crush on Rick back in the day! lol

vicky: oh really khathu, are you visiting mom?

AYWalton: he was a nice dashing young man. howdy khathu. Selma the Drury is right next door to the Best Western!

Khathu: My mother is having some complications

jhonora: Sorry to hear, khathu

AYWalton: oh so very sorry to hear that, khathu.

Selma: Oh, sorry to hear that Khathu...

vicky: oh my! my prayers go out to her Khathu

Khathu: thank you

Selma: We will keep her and your family in our thoughts and prayers

AYWalton: indeed, we shall. Is she in California?

Khathu: thanks everyone one Oakland, California

AYWalton: ahhh ok.

alt: Prayers for you, Mom & the family Khathu

AYWalton: are you going back out there?

Khathu: i'll be here (Oakland) until Tues or Wed

AYWalton: ahhh you are already there. That's good.

Khathu: I arrived on Thursday

vicky: wb alt

3rdthawkins: wb alt

Selma: Vicky...did the link to the photo at VHS of enslaved children ever work last night..

alt: kicked myself out sending AYWalton the Bio for a cousin of mine she went to school with.

vicky: shoot, you can't scroll back to see the conversation

Seventies Soulchild: lol

AYWalton: Jhonora are all of the plans made for the reunion?

Seventies Soulchild: hey vicky!

AYWalton: Will there be a reunion booklet?

Selma: Yep no scrolling..something else Ms Vee gotta work on...

vicky: oh yes, thanks Selma!

Seventies Soulchild: lol I am so late.

AYWalton: (and yes, I am hinting for one, if you were wondering.) lol

vicky: heyy Seventies!

3rdthawkins: I see B for bold and I for italic are gone too

Selma: I wanted to post on the Forum..but I can't copy and paste...

3rdthawkins: oops, U for underline I meant

vicky: i is there

3rdthawkins: yes vicky, I meant U

AYWalton: some extra tweaking might still be in order.

3rdthawkins: but those are small matters, I don't use those buttons any way just noticed i was gone

vicky: you mean post the link Selma

3rdthawkins: i-it

Selma: Yes..vicky

AYWalton: Honoray you still there?

vicky: how come you cant copy and paste

Selma: I have no idea.......I will figure it out later

AYWalton: even with Control V Selma?

Selma: http://vhs3.vahistorical.org/starweb/vhs/servlet.starweb

alt: and then she will be dangerous lol lol lol

Selma: Why thank you Ms AY........

AYWalton: that error message on that link again, Selma.

Selma: Scanning, copying pasting..I am ready to take over the world.. OK. forget it then

AYWalton: jhonora must be multi-tasking again. Working on that reunion booklet that I hope I get a copy of.

alt: this article I'm reading on Tax List is very informative... didn't realize counties had Real & Personal List that included everyone .. property owner or not and t

vicky: try this link selma http://www.vahistorical.org/ that is home page

Selma: Looked at a book I saw in 1995 compilation of men who served in USCT from VA...mainly, Southampton, Surry, Norfolk, Isle of Wight......mustered out in Texas

AYWalton: It looke like it. Lots of soldiers in the Army of the Potomac were mustered out in TX. The MD regiments of the USCTs mustered out there.

Selma: One guy was sent to Tortogo (spelling ?) in 1866..will find paper

AYWalton: as in Tortuga?

Selma: Sent to Tortugas in 7/26/1866 for 3 years

AYWalton: that is very interesting! sounds like someone you have to follow, up on, Selma!

alt: what was Tortuga? A confinment camp or sumpin'.

Selma: Yes, I think so.......like I need something else..but I thought that was interesting

Seventies Soulchild: Tortuga isn't that PR?

vicky: lol @ Selma

Selma: Another William Rix of Southampton died of pneumonia on board STeamer "Hagan" in the Gulf of Mexico 6/6/1865

alt: pre & post USCT service research is very intriguing... what were the individuals prior to servcie and what did they do following their service.

Selma: I don't know alt......but it caught my eye

AYWalton: no it is not. It is a small island off the island of Hispanola (Haiti and Dom Rep make up Hispanola) Puerto Rico is not close nor related.

Seventies Soulchild: Ah yeah its near FloRida... :)

Selma: The man who compiled this list..included a book in the bibliography called Dear Ones at HOme: Letters from Contraband Camps publishedin 1966..ever heard of it AY

Seventies Soulchild: ok wow, so they were sending people all the way out there... interesting Alright. I've got to get going... game day. :) later all

AYWalton: no I have not heard of it, but would love to have a copy. what is the author's name.

Selma: Me too......

Khathu: have a good one

Selma: The author of the Contraband book is Henry L. Swint published in 1966.... Gonna google........

alt: laters and best wishes Khathu

AYWalton: I will check to see if they have a copy at Samford library.

jhonora: i'll check for it also.

AYWalton: Well, I just popped in for a few moments. Going to take a nap before the orientation session begins this afternoon. Have a great day everyone.

vicky: I am going to see if its a interlibrary loan book Selma mabe I can get it that way

Selma: The publisher is Vanderbilt University Press 1966

alt: http://tinyurl.com/2bcu9lf

jhonora: We have four copies here.

alt: NY Times article on EP Day Celebration in Findlay, Ohio 1880

vicky: nice alt! jhonora where are your copies

alt: EW Adams the guy who invited Grant & Conkling and set up the event was a 1st cousin.

Selma: Great article alt.

alt: ty Selma

jhonora: At Amistad Center, Tulane U., and UNO

vicky: oh ok

alt: Poindexter & Langston were UGRR operators and both served in the USCT's Langston is the grandfather of Langston Hughes

Selma: You have 4 copies of the book jhonora Can you get into JSTOR jhonora?

jhonora: At various libraries, Selma Yes, Selma, I can get JSTOR

Selma: I htink there is a review in the Journal of American History..I can't get from home .......

jhonora: I'm checking now ...

vicky: I wish I could get JSTOR. There are so many good articles that I run across my local library doesn't even have it

alt: what about a university library in the PHX area vicky?

vicky: ASU may have it alt but parking is so terrible there and the meters are only 30 mins. by the time you walk to the library your meter time is up I swore I would never go that route again

alt: oh, okay.. the hazards of BIG City life LOL

vicky: big school lol

alt: I have cards to the local univ.'s but they are on smaller campuses in smaller towns

jhonora: Selma, what is the name of the review?

Selma: Hold on..

vicky: I dont know how those kids manage. I know the parking up close is monthly and thats probably an arm and a leg

alt: you couldn't pay me to go on the campus at Ohio State Univ. to use their Library.

Selma: Dear Ones Letter at Home: Letters From Contraband Camps by Henry L. Swint

alt: are these like narratives in letter format Selma?

vicky: They are now in the process of building a library at a community college that is about a block from my house alt. I am hoping that they will have more to choose from. It will be open to the public

Selma: I have no idea alt...just saw a reference to it in the bibliography

alt: if they don't have it in-house vicky you can problably access it in-house, but on-line okay Selma

vicky: hopefully alt that will happen with the new library. right now no such luck even with a student card you cant

Selma: Sometimes its easier to get into these University Libraries on Sunday..they are not as crowded

alt: really!!!! on the student card

vicky: I was hoping that I could, and use grands student card she has to go to the computer lab housed on campus

jhonora: I found a review in the Va. Magazine of History, is that it?

alt: ain't that a trip LOL LOL

Selma: Can't you use your grands to access the college library database

vicky: thats what I was trying to do with her card selma

alt: seems like a card number and password should get you into the Univ catalog.

vicky: she is in that Ace program for HS students so mabe they dont have the same priveledges

alt: ah so

Selma: I don't know jhonora...what does that review say, is it any good

vicky: alt, when they first built that school in the early 90's I went to their library and used the computer. That is where I first saw Everything Black and Afrigenbeas lol Afrigeneas

3rdthawkins: oh, I'm gonna go, I'm getting a little frustrated with my search

vicky: bye 3rd do you remember Everything Black

Selma: No..I don't remember that vicky

vicky: that was my very first post lol in their genealogy section

Selma: Is it still around vicky I found vkn and ay on Prodigy...LOL

vicky: I dont know, they went into some sort of ring and I got frustrated

alt: talking with Deborah Abbott at Samford

vicky: I saw afrigeneas and I have not been able to leave lol

Selma: This is the BEST and RIGHT place vicky..

vicky: Exactly!

alt: is ay in the drury

vicky: Does Deborah know AY

Selma: Yes.. Yes AY is in the Drury Takin a nap... LOL

alt: Debbie is in the Drury too

jhonora: I gotta run, y'all. Xavier is having its Jazz Reception this afternoon.

Selma: They are probably next door to each other.. LOL Have a great day jhonora

alt: have fun jhonora

jhonora: I'll send you the reviews, Selma.

Selma: Thanks.. Nap sounds good........maybe time for me to leave

vicky: thats nice lol see ya selma

alt: me too ... laters

18 Dec 2002 :: 1 Feb 2009
Copyright © 2002-2008 by AfriGeneas. All rights reserved.
AfriGeneas ~ African Ancestored Genealogy