Try a new Ancestry.com Membership!

Domain Name Registration at GoDaddy.com 120x60

Footnote.com

Note: Please follow the link(s) on the navigation bar below to search additional messages that have been archived to conserve space. If no link is visible, no messages have been archived on this board.

2012-04-24 Reunion Talk

** Chats Lobby

Start: 12:42:03
End: 12:42:03
Chatters: AYWalton

AYWalton: Good afternoon, all.

*LunchBunch

Start: 11:59:51
End: 12:57:52
Chatters: alt, AYWalton, Daviss, Selma, Seventies Soulchild

Seventies Soulchild: Good afternoon in 5,4,3,2,1.. lol

alt: countdown LOL

Seventies Soulchild: How are you doing to day alt?

alt: how are ya today Seventies Soulchild? I'm doing fine.

Seventies Soulchild: Doing well. Just thinking about part 2 of this thing I'm going to present to the family. Already put a survey out there. lol only 8 people responded.

alt: okay.. sounds like you're 'on it' LOL

Seventies Soulchild: I try to be...

alt: what will part 2 entail?

Seventies Soulchild: One of the things people wanted was increased family participation. Trying to work out how to make the reunions more widely known Part 2 is just a quick clean Powerpoint presentation about what can be done to make reunions more friendly. Some things I think the family hadn't ever heard of doing. or thought about doing.

alt: that's a tought task ..particiaption by family... I guess the thing is to just bombard them with information and saty on them almost to the point of being a nuisance. LOL ..... getting folks involved takes a lot of effort & persistence.

Seventies Soulchild: Agree. And its not that the reunions are bad, just getting people interested in attending. Hello Daviss

Daviss: hello alt and seventies!!

Seventies Soulchild: I'm not sending you any more information ... lol

alt: and being on time with their responses.. folks often don't realized the effort it takes to plan a sucessful reunion

Seventies Soulchild: Yes lots of work. Lots of meetings and lots of follow through And lots of MONEY!

alt: hello Daviss, how ya doing today?

Daviss: I am well, thx alt..How about you?

alt: doing just fine Daviss, thanks for asking.

Daviss: I just looked in the cabinet and realized I have no coffee :(

Seventies Soulchild: OMG why are you here??? You should be at the grocery store!! LOL LOL

Daviss: no car lol

alt: getting my 'ducks' lined up for meetings... this aturda, the 12th of May for Shelley at NGS in Cincy and our May meeting on the 26th. aturda=saturday

Seventies Soulchild: *cuss word* lol

Daviss: This month sure is passing by fast alt

Seventies Soulchild: Its the last week of the month

alt: no doubt Daviss

Daviss: Is this Sat your normal meeting for April alt?

alt: yes, the 4th Saturday of the month.

Daviss: Seventies, I thought you were emailing me some info?

Seventies Soulchild: Oh you know what let me do that now.

alt: get on her case Daviss LOL

Seventies Soulchild: quit alt! lol

Daviss: lol alt

Seventies Soulchild: done!

Daviss: I thought of another person I can forward to thanks much seventies

Seventies Soulchild: Ok just so y'all know. The FCC has granted a bunch of licenses for low frequency FM radio stations to non-profit groups. This was done originally in about 2008 and they are doing it again for fall 2012, read Summer 2012. A webinar will be on Thursday in order to help people through the process. So if you know 2 or 3 non profits who will want to get together to do this, please send them here: http://blackagendareport.com/content/what-could-your-organization-do-its-own-radio-station

alt: I saw your Facebook postings on this subject Seventies Soulchild

Seventies Soulchild: ok. See someone reads facebook statuses.. lol I think its a great opprtounity for the right organizations. did you all read any of the stories on Finding Your Roots website?

alt: yep, let us hope some AA groups are able to take advantage of the opportunity.

Seventies Soulchild: I certainly hope so alt.

alt: not me on the FYR stories Seventies Soulchild, I'm slowing down somewhat and not doing as much suring & reading as I once did. surfing

Seventies Soulchild: ok :} I'm reading between the lines and typos.. lol

Daviss: last year alt I signed up on FB on the Mather AFB page. One of the ladies who also sighed up answered a post and told me that she and her family were there about the same time in the 50's. lol

Seventies Soulchild: Mather AFB where was that?

alt: think I saw that posting Daviss

Daviss: I finally found a school picture and sent it to her hoping she or her brother was in my class lol

alt: were they schoolmates?

Seventies Soulchild: Where was Mather AFB??

Daviss: Mather was in Cali Sevengties

Seventies Soulchild: OK

alt: Sacramento... my duaghter was stationed there for a couple of years in the late 1980's.

Daviss: I may post it on my page. I am the only lil splib on there just in case you have a time trying to find me lol

alt: when have I heard "splib" ???? LOL LOL LOL

Daviss: lol alt

Seventies Soulchild: That's right, your daughter was in the Air Force.

Daviss: I almost joined, me and two of my other friends..

Seventies Soulchild: You should have!

alt: what stopped you Daviss? L-o-v-e lol lol

Seventies Soulchild: LOL I didn't let that stop me... LOL

Daviss: neither of us joined lol we may have thought about being home sick or something

alt: I hear ya Seventies Soulchild

Seventies Soulchild: homesick.... lol Another thing I was sick of, home! lol My first assignment was Italy.... LOVED IT!

Daviss: I wasn't in love at that time alt.. My nose flew open when I visited oklahoma lol

Seventies Soulchild: Something in the water... lol

alt: oh, oh....Oklahoma will do that to a person

Daviss: I really am not sure now that I think about it, why we did not join. Now my girlfriends are both deceased

Seventies Soulchild: omg already?

alt: I was reading some of the recent postings on AfriGeneas.... How do we 'politely' tell folks to do their own research..... we help, but don't do your work for you.

Daviss: yes and for about 15 yrs now Well alt, we have done that over and over for yrs

Seventies Soulchild: You know, I have mixed feelings about that. See if we had a few more records online we could help more and refer people to repositories and research options.

alt: I liked Daviss response to the one lady... she directed her to where her "information" was located and then backed off..... didin't want to spoil her ' thrill of discovery".

Daviss: thanks alt lol

alt: good move Daviss

Seventies Soulchild: absolutely.

Daviss: and then alt it took a good deal of work on my part

Seventies Soulchild: I would love to connect with more people online. Family members.

alt: I know Daviss, and if you would have given the poser the facts they would have possibly wanted more. poser=poster

Daviss: you mean like " tell me everything you know" lol

alt: yep!!!

Seventies Soulchild: lol So when did you all get to the point where you wanted to connect with other family members?

alt: from 'jump street' Seventies Soulchild & still want to connect with more

Seventies Soulchild: ok :}

Daviss: oops

alt: wb Daviss

Daviss: I have only connected with one person here seventies

Seventies Soulchild: I have connected with one person also. Her dad is cousin to my great-grandmother. Iris

Daviss: and that was on my 2s/1s daviss line

Seventies Soulchild: Now there are some other folks who should be connected with me, but because they are caught up with another family line they have ignored me. We are relatives though.

Daviss: my ggrandfather and his 3rd great were brothers

Seventies Soulchild: ah... see that is cool.

alt: in the early days I just posted everywhere and wrote to family who might know other family members that might want to connect... went to every family reunion I could.... guess I was networking, before social networking took hold like it is today.

Seventies Soulchild: lookie lookie Hey Selma

alt: hello Selma

Selma: Good afternoon alt, daviss and seventies

Seventies Soulchild: Sounds like a good idea alt

AYWalton: Good afternoon, all.

Seventies Soulchild: Hi AYWalton

alt: and of cousre I used personal websites like crazy, still do LOL LOL

AYWalton: Howdy alt, Daviss, Selma, SoulChile!

alt: Hello AYWalton

AYWalton: hope you are all well.

alt: fine here AYWalton, hope the same is true for you.

AYWalton: fine, thanks.

Daviss: Hello AYWalton and Selma!!

Seventies Soulchild: alt yes, that's the best... love it when people come to the website and you discover you're kin!

AYWalton: getting excited for the travel season.

Daviss: I have known relatives on FB who want no communication what so ever

Seventies Soulchild: glad to hear that AYWalton

Selma: Till you win the LOTTA DAviss..then they will be all over you

alt: that happens too Daviss

Seventies Soulchild: I'm also working on a commerical for the Washington-Rounds family reunion. My cousin took some GREAT photos with her canon last year.

Selma: I meant the Lotto

Seventies Soulchild: lol

Daviss: I think that may be true Selma lol

alt: social networking/media is great Seventies Soulchild, but a lot of folks don't 'partake'.... good old snail mail and phone conversations still work wonders.

Seventies Soulchild: wait I'm supposed to win the lotto... lol

Selma: Well if any of us in this room wins..we are all KIN Cousin 70's

Seventies Soulchild: Yes phone calls do work wonders. Did I mention I talked to the lady from Blount County Historical society and that my uncle will be featured in a book about influential AAs in the county?

alt: Seventies Soulchild, ypu'll be surprised at what a 'piece of paper' shwoing them how you connect may get them interested.

Seventies Soulchild: Lol lol lol Selma!

Daviss: My granmother was married to a man that kind of helped raise my mom. In fact mom carried hisname

Seventies Soulchild: Well this woman lived up the street from my uncle.

Selma: That is great sevenies..re your uncle

Seventies Soulchild: I'm very excite about it. Told her that we will be ordering a book once its done.

AYWalton: I agree with the paper issue alt.

alt: yep, 'community research' in action Seventies Soulchild

Seventies Soulchild: I gave her my contact information.

AYWalton: I have found that as much as I put things up on FB in my family group, the same folks will call me up and ask me the question that they have the answer to. seeing it on paper sticks in their minds more.

alt: I think so AYWalton

Selma: Since I am a "paper" person myself..I understand that AY

AYWalton: Selma I just sent in my handouts for Chicago.

Selma: You are so ahead of the curve

AYWalton: so far. I did also for Samford----and have to see if I did already for SLC. lots of things coming up these days.

Seventies Soulchild: Glad to see you are getting steady work AYWalton.

AYWalton: lol, not that steady, but enough to keep me hopping! lol

Seventies Soulchild: lol

Selma: Folks have to run to the store..see you all tonite Have a great day

Seventies Soulchild: have a good day

alt: later Selma

Seventies Soulchild: Yes lunch hour is almost up.. talk to you all later

AYWalton: looks like folks are bailing out.

Daviss: uh oh tring to keep from getting bumped out again

AYWalton: Guess I am next. Have a good one, folks.

Daviss: lol partner

alt: darn folks. gettin gout of Dadge in a hurry

Daviss: yep, I guess Dodge is not their cup of tea today

alt: okay Daviss, I got the chairs & lights before you get bumped agian LOL or coffee LOL

Daviss: ok later alt see you tonight mabe

alt: you got it

18 Dec 2002 :: 1 Feb 2009
Copyright © 2002-2008 by AfriGeneas. All rights reserved.
AfriGeneas ~ African Ancestored Genealogy