Try a new Ancestry.com Membership!

Domain Name Registration at GoDaddy.com 120x60

Footnote.com

Note: Please follow the link(s) on the navigation bar below to search additional messages that have been archived to conserve space. If no link is visible, no messages have been archived on this board.

2012-04-20 WDYTYA Reba

~WDYTYA

Start: 20:26:59
End: 21:05:37
Chatters: evpace, keli1, rcs

keli1: I just love the expression that Reba has when she says, how do you sell a child!

rcs: Yes -- but if her people were from Monroe Co, Miss --- VERY likely they had slaves there too I was there in the Evans library Monroe Co was abt 70% black

evpace: I find her responses sensitive and given her celebrity in country musuc and international exposure,her responses are important.

rcs: WHy didn't she check slave records in MS?! I have helped several families in St Louis, MO with Monroe County, MS roots

evpace: Surely he owned slaves.

keli1: I agree, she is shocked at some, it is just as good as when I saw it a couple of weeks ago

rcs: Monroe county was settled in 1840s by platation people moving in from Carolina and VA

evpace: Some folks in Virginia carry a "white priviledge" attitude which shows in their persona. She is doing another line and to repeat the obvious is viewed as redundant I suspect.

keli1: evpace, are you referring to Reba or someone else?

evpace: My reaction was to the comment made by the Researcher keli 1...just reflecting.

rcs: I get frustrated by the sweep to search for the dramatic

keli1: okay, you don't think her reactions are real?

rcs: When I saw them at the Evans Library in MS I was hoping for some insights there

keli1: it is interesting how each of the "stars" process this info, but again I do believe most of it is rehearsed

rcs: I have seen similar reactions in real life, but recognized the staged presentation of the TV show

evpace: I could be wrong,but I have always had a good feeling about Reba.

keli1: I like her and think she is sincere, she did not really come from wealth

rcs: I always get irritated by the "made for TV" components......the jump to the dramatic story rather than an actual step by step etc. It is a TV show, after all.....and they have to go for general audience appeal

evpace: No she didn't and she is one heck of a musicologist.

keli1: we as researchers want the step by step, but others outside this don't cuz they don't know the process

evpace: keli did you make the NARA fair in DC? I bet it's cold there.

keli1: no I was in Charles Town WV today, listening to a distance cousin present on Nicholas Roper

evpace: Tons of time and resources to document this family history. rcs, are you with us.

rcs: seem to be have traced Watts, Blanchard, Hykes, Hale, Hardy families to Monroe Co, MS I was hoping for more there

evpace: Good. Helping folks in St Louis is good stuff; is MS an area of research for you?

rcs: I have stopped there several times for a day of research For people I have helped s are in Illinois & Missouri My direct lines

evpace: Hmmmm.Why repeats this early?

rcs: about 1/2 of the black folks in St Louis are MS

keli1: they did that last year as well..

rcs: moved up in the late 1930s and 40s

evpace: I did not know that about migration rcs.

keli1: well folks, I am going to index a page...ttyl

evpace: Niters rcs

rcs: There was a huge movement......some with a stop off for a generation in Arkansas, but many direct from MS to St Louis, MO or East St Louis, IL

18 Dec 2002 :: 1 Feb 2009
Copyright © 2002-2008 by AfriGeneas. All rights reserved.
AfriGeneas ~ African Ancestored Genealogy