Try a new Ancestry.com Membership!

Domain Name Registration at GoDaddy.com 120x60

Footnote.com

Note: Please follow the link(s) on the navigation bar below to search additional messages that have been archived to conserve space. If no link is visible, no messages have been archived on this board.

2012-04-13 1940 Census Colored/Negro

*LunchBunch

Start: 12:03:07
End: 12:47:04
Chatters: alt, AYWalton, Khathu, Selma, Seventies Soulchild, vkn

Seventies Soulchild: Hi alt

alt: hey lady, how's friday the 13th going?

Seventies Soulchild: Pretty good. and yourself?

alt: I'll make it... I think LOL

Seventies Soulchild: Good! lol

alt: so talk to me... what's up?

Seventies Soulchild: I wish more was, but nothing Mr. Thomas... Going to VA to visit some folks next weekend.

alt: now that sounds exciting

Seventies Soulchild: I have procrastinated to some degree in doing my presentation.

alt: why procrastinate... just do it!!!

Seventies Soulchild: You know, its not only about the material presented but about the presentation artwork itself. And of course tying the information together.

alt: don't get hung up on the delivery... it's the message you're trying to convey

Seventies Soulchild: My cousin Lovie has yet to contact me. So I'm not sure of what's going on with that. I guess I'll wait until June to worry about that.

alt: right, don't start strokin until you hit the water LOL LOL

Seventies Soulchild: lol How did you enjoy Bernice's show last night? Did the speaker miss anything?

alt: I kept getting diconnected and I'm listening now.

Seventies Soulchild: Me too, I got long periods of silence... so I opened the feed in Media Player. I asked about records relating directly to the Great Migration and this guy was talking about records before 1850... sigh

alt: as I remember he really didn't get into areas of Ohio other than the Cleveland area... And I can't remember him saying anything about FPOC specifically

Seventies Soulchild: Right. You know, I'm going to presume that WPA records would be relevent to people who migrated to OH from the south, also railroad records and even employee records from big companies.

alt: I would think so.... for those who came to Ohio post WW I for work in the larger cities.

Seventies Soulchild: Right... Those are the kinds of answers and records I was expecting him to touch on in his response.

alt: I'm not much into Migration into Ohio as my folks had been there for so long a period of time.

AYWalton: good afternoon, all. howdy alt and SoulChile

alt: Hello AYWalton

Seventies Soulchild: Well also, last night I was looking over some WW II draft cards Hi AYWalton Upon further scrutiny of one St. Clairr Henyard, he lived in Steubenville, OH, but worked in West Virginia.

AYWalton: I see you are both talking about last night's program on Bernice's show.

Seventies Soulchild: Yes

alt: not unusal as Steubenville is right on the Ohio river across form WV.

AYWalton: one thing with BlogTalkRadio, sometimes the sound fades and you have to refresh. I think it is a buffering program sometimes.

Seventies Soulchild: Yes, one trick is to open up the feed in your default media player. works everytime.

AYWalton: buffering problem I meant to say. I did not have problems last night, though. I notice that one or two folks did, though.

alt: my reception was 'terrible' kept getting disconnected

AYWalton: I notice that sometimes on other programs as well.

Seventies Soulchild: ok let me grab a bite to eat. brb

AYWalton: the other option is just to call in and listen on the phone. You can put it on speaker and then hear it there. as long as you don't hit #1 you won't be in the queue to talk.

Khathu: hello everyone

AYWalton: howdy khathu!!!

alt: Hello Khathu... how's your "Buddy" the POTUS LOL

Khathu: He is keeping busy. He joined us for a conference call on Tuesday

AYWalton: you are schmoozing big time, huh Khathu? :)

Khathu: i guess it is my season

alt: milk it then Khathu LOL LOL

AYWalton: so what's on your genealogical agenda khathu?

Khathu: i'm trying alt AYWalton, I have been working on trying to figure out the connection between myself and a couple of individuals from 23andMe

AYWalton: that is a real challenge, khathu.

Khathu: in process I have been able to identify on of my gg grandaunts and her family

AYWalton: I have a few contacts, but they have done no family history--and know so little. Plus I don't wish to take their family history and do it for them. Sadly I don't think finding the connection is possible when they know so little. Hey there, Mizz Selma!!!

Khathu: well one of the individuals and myself have an .83% 3 segement match

alt: I hear ya AYWalton

Selma: Good afternoon everyone..alt, AY, Khathu and seventies

Khathu: which is pretty high I think

AYWalton: but without names and data overlapping----it might be hard to know only that. what was the predicted relationship?

alt: Hello Selma

Khathu: 4th Cousins but I don't think they have done much research so I just referred them to my website

Selma: Oops forgot about last night..how was it

AYWalton: with me it has been 3rd to 6th and predicted relationship was 4th. and with 4th cousins you share the same gr. gr. gr. grandparent.

Seventies Soulchild: Hi Khathu and selma

Khathu: Hello Selma

alt: I'm listening now Selma as we chat....

Selma: We had a meeting last night..

Khathu: My site is pretty comprehensive going back to all of my gggg grandparents

AYWalton: and I have the names of 4 of my 3rd great grands, but we have 32 gr. gr. gr. grandparents.

Selma: We had our laptops and Dru (who was exhausted) gave us a how to look on the 1940 census..

AYWalton: so what is the likelihood that you will be able to identify the right common ancestor? all 64 of them, khathu? wow!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

alt: wonderful Selma I'm sure ProFDru did a great job.

Selma: We used the Steve Morse site..quite effective

Khathu: Correct 55 of them

Selma: I will have to send her flowers..she was tired, but I told her I know nothing.. LOL

AYWalton: yes it is effective, Selma. wow that was great that she did that.

Selma: She didn't want me talking bad about her.. LOL

AYWalton: you have identified 55 gr. gr. gr. gr. grandparents!! I am impressed, khathu!

Khathu: AYWalton it appears that they haven't done much research

AYWalton: and you threatened her with punishment I am sure. lol

Selma: Oh you know me well AY.. LOL

AYWalton: that is why you are "President for Life" lol

Selma: One interesting thing..or at least I found it interesting..

alt: me too Khathu !!!! I'm only up to about 40.... my paternal lines are my problem.. I have all 32 maternal w/siblings for most.

Seventies Soulchild: That took you over 25 years didn't it alt?

Khathu: my maternal line is my problem

alt: at least Seventies Soulchild

AYWalton: I only have 4 gr. gr. gr. grandparents out of 32 identified. And possibly 1 gr. gr. gr. gr. identified.

Selma: We took a look at some Newport News census..everyone was identified as Negro..

Khathu: it becomes dicy after the 3rd greats

Selma: Then one of our members..actually found her folks in a western VA county..

AYWalton: but most people have not identified more than 1 gr. gr. gr. grandparent.

Khathu: I am not complaining

AYWalton: that is wonderful.

Selma: that was exciting..as I was watching I noticed ..some folks were identified as "Col"..and some as "Negro".. Same census taker.

alt: Bernice's guest last night get into much Ohio history and records sets for FPOC.

AYWalton: yes I have seen them identified as B, C. and Neg. did or did not, alt?

Khathu: Those on my mother's side I doubt I will ever be able identify

alt: did not!!!!

Seventies Soulchild: He kept talking about records relevent to European descendants...

Khathu: I mean the 8 that I am missing

AYWalton: ah ok. I was wondering. well Bernice told him to keep it generic.

Selma: Have you determined if this is the opinion of the census taker?

alt: right Seventies Soulchild ..

Seventies Soulchild: But her show is specifically about African American genealogy, no??

alt: Instructions say to identify as Negro "Neg" Selma

Selma: Are there instructions for using the term "col"?

AYWalton: her show is specifically about National Archives Records. Her goal is to primarily showcase African Americans and their work.

Seventies Soulchild: Alright, any of you all find your Col, Mulatto relatives as white?

alt: not at the bottom of the form (census page) where it states what abbrev to use.

AYWalton: However she does get calls from non-African Americans who call and ask to be on the show.

Seventies Soulchild: Thanks for the clarification AYWalton

alt: yes thanks AYWalton

AYWalton: mine were too colorful (physically) to pass, SoulChile.

Seventies Soulchild: Most of mine too...

Selma: We didn't have time to analyse ..

Seventies Soulchild: But I was wondering if the census taker may have made a 'mistake'

vkn: heyyyyyyyyyyyy

Seventies Soulchild: hey vkn

alt: Hello vkn

Selma: Are you talking about what I just said seventies?

AYWalton: greetings, vkn!!!!

vkn: Howdy

Khathu: Or as my grand aunt stated they weren't smart enough to pass

Seventies Soulchild: Kind of,

vkn: How y'all be >

Seventies Soulchild: ooops Khathu :}

alt: I "be's" okay vkn... you ???

Khathu: hello vkn

Selma: They were identified as Colored...so they weren't passing..we were just wondering why some folks were identified as "colored" and others as "negro"

vkn: fair to partly cloudy alt athu

AYWalton: I think that was a local thing.

alt: me too AYWalton ....

AYWalton: Kind of like during that time---we called ourselves both.

Seventies Soulchild: right

vkn: Howdy Selma

AYWalton: Colored and Negro (with the capital N)

vkn: Seventies Seventies Howdy How was the Bernice program last night

Selma: Does Who Do you think You are come on tonight

Seventies Soulchild: Its a rerun, I think Lionel ritchie

AYWalton: it was a good overview for Ohio and Michigan. Mostly generic data presented. but I learned what a Palatine was. lol

Seventies Soulchild: yes who knew?

Selma: There is a whole book Palatine's to America or series

AYWalton: yes I think that tonight is a rerun.

Selma: At my library

Khathu: well hopefully i will see everyone tonight

AYWalton: I have seen Palatine's at vendors table at large conferences as well.

Khathu: kha vha sale (go well)

vkn: Thanx AYW I will listen later

AYWalton: what sale?

Seventies Soulchild: lol

AYWalton: well going to run, folk. have a good afternoon.

Seventies Soulchild: Ok I'm off to finish my Cup O'Noodles.. Have a great day all.

Selma: Gotta go shoe shopping with my sister..see you all tonight..

18 Dec 2002 :: 1 Feb 2009
Copyright © 2002-2008 by AfriGeneas. All rights reserved.
AfriGeneas ~ African Ancestored Genealogy