Try a new Ancestry.com Membership!

Domain Name Registration at GoDaddy.com 120x60

Footnote.com

Note: Please follow the link(s) on the navigation bar below to search additional messages that have been archived to conserve space. If no link is visible, no messages have been archived on this board.

2010-06-08

* LunchBunch

Start: 12:04:38
End: 13:15:47
Chatters: 3rdthawkins, alt, Ingrid_Doweary, Khathu, Selma, seraph1959, Seventies Soulchild, vicky

alt: Hello, 3rdthawlins

3rdthawkins: hey alt apparently ancestry.com made some changes to their site

alt: that familysearch site is keeping me busy with the newer uploads

3rdthawkins: now free members can't even see previews to a tree, so I'm stuck if I have a hint from a tree I kind of like it that way, but it sucks when you're the free member

alt: yeah, Ancestry's home Page and some of the newer features take a little getting used to... and I haven't... I still use the 'old search' screen Ancestry is really beoming too commerical and non-genealogical for me, but they do have many good databases.

3rdthawkins: yes, about familysearch, now a lot to search through, and there are surprises when you don't expect a name to pop up in a different state than what you're searching for, but I'm still in the 1900s, so can't wait til they update the records for tht time period yes, that's always been the complaint of a lot of users on ancestry.com, reading the message boards

alt: all of those 'hits' are directing you to some other product of their's.. or so it seems.

vicky: hello alt and 3rd!

alt: Hi vicky

3rdthawkins: yeah it is, they are less a genealogy site and more a marketing site hello vicky

vicky: new uploads on Ancestry

3rdthawkins: I see, but it's the same as familysearch seem like....Nova Scotia records

alt: they've even gone back to the 'automatic' renewal... no warning,they just bill ya. LOL

Seventies Soulchild: Hey all! 3rd, alt, and vicky

3rdthawkins: hello Seventies

alt: Hello Seventies Soulchild

vicky: lol @ alt hello seventies

Seventies Soulchild: don't tell me that alt lol my renwal is up soon

3rdthawkins: lol that's what they did to me when I had a free trial, but they never took away that money, so I got like one month free

vicky: gotta make sure you have the dough in there Seventies

3rdthawkins: actually they did take that money, but only once

Seventies Soulchild: I do, but that's beside the point. . .

alt: If you don't want to keep it, better let them know before the renewal date.. or it's automatice

Seventies Soulchild: And who knows how quickly they are going to jack up the price.

3rdthawkins: definitely, I learned that, I had forgot to cancel, they renewed, it but they didn;'t take any money out though

vicky: they should send out a email notice or a courtesy call

Seventies Soulchild: It went from $99 to $150 in a year. . .

vicky: right

3rdthawkins: wow, I just did the $19.95 monthly

alt: I'm still having oly the census & historical files (newpspapers, etc.)

vicky: 240 if you go all 12 3rd

Seventies Soulchild: 3rd, naw never get the monthly.. always get the annual its cheaper

3rdthawkins: dang!

vicky: I dont need the world subscription

Seventies Soulchild: Me either, I just do U.S.

3rdthawkins: the reason I did it, because it was just easier, I only have a prepaid card, so it had to put more money in it, so it was easier until I can get enough money to do it any other way

Seventies Soulchild: But you still get hits from all the collections available.

3rdthawkins: they really don't care for genealogist, just their money, knowing what their after

vicky: Therre is this lady that I have known for about 40 years. She is 94 yrs old and now getting sick

Seventies Soulchild: Especially with the change of ownership of the company

alt: and they've become that since they went public Seventies Soulchild

3rdthawkins: when 98% of the information and records I found was free, and only paid for a few

vicky: last week she fell and broke her hip and went into a coma

Seventies Soulchild: oh no vicky!

3rdthawkins: oh my, vicky

alt: even slight injuries at the age can be dramatic vicky.

Seventies Soulchild: Hi Khathu

Khathu: Hello everyone

vicky: the family put her into hospice and two days ago they took her off of the nutrients

alt: hey Khathu Hi Ingrid

Seventies Soulchild: Hi Ingrid_Doweary

Khathu: Hello Ingrid

3rdthawkins: we had a similiar incident happen like that to one of our neighbors recently, but she didn't go into a coma........her kids had to put her in a nursing home

Seventies Soulchild: I so feel like going on vacation this week.. lol

3rdthawkins: hello Khathu and Ingrid

Ingrid_Doweary: Hey Seventies, Khathur, Alt, 3rd and Vicky. How is everyone.

vicky: that night when they took her off nutrients the family went home and wrote up the obit

Ingrid_Doweary: ?

Seventies Soulchild: :(

vicky: Another friend called me and we could not understand why they wrote up the obit before death but I guess some people do that

3rdthawkins: probably know that it is time hello seraph

Seventies Soulchild: hey seraph1959

seraph1959: hello folks

3rdthawkins: or just preparing for the inevitable

vicky: well yesterday morning she woke up out of her coma and is now being fed food

alt: hi seraph1959, how's the school-break going?

Seventies Soulchild: well h3ll my death is inevitable, but I'm not writing up an obit....

seraph1959: I am loving it alt!!!

3rdthawkins: hello Selma

alt: hello Selma

seraph1959: lma

Selma: Good Tuesday afternoon lunchbunchers

vicky: and is even doing better today and talking

3rdthawkins: well, that's how some people think Seventies

Seventies Soulchild: lol

Khathu: Hello Selma and seraph1959

Seventies Soulchild: hey Selma

Ingrid_Doweary: Hey Selma and Seraph.

seraph1959: 70's and vicky did you read about Frenchy's owner?

vicky: me either seventies. dont rush me cause it aint over til its over

Khathu: They erected a sculpture of the Edmonson Sisters across the street from my office

alt: gruesome thought, but she can check her obit and see if they have yheir information correct.

Seventies Soulchild: Quick announcement: African Ancestry is doing a nationwide tour "We Are Africa" and are looking for venues to host their forums

vicky: no seraph 1959

Seventies Soulchild: Hey what happened to Mr. Percy Seraph1959?

vicky: hello all who I did not see

Khathu: the site used to be a slave jail where they were held

Ingrid_Doweary: What's the address of the scculpture, Khathu?

seraph1959: He has died.

Seventies Soulchild: Was it in the Chronicle?

Khathu: 1701 Duke Street, Alexandria, VA

seraph1959: I posted a link on facebook

Seventies Soulchild: ok going there now

Khathu: two blocks from the Franklin and Armfield Slave Company

Seventies Soulchild: Post pictures please Khathu :)

Ingrid_Doweary: Oh yeah? I'll keep that in mind, Khathu. Thanks

Khathu: I will take a picture of it and post it

alt: African Ancestry what? DNA, Program or ??? so many things are now named African Ancestry

Seventies Soulchild: DNA alt

seraph1959: Ingrid that was such a helpful link you gave me on the Agri census , thanks again

Khathu: Ingrid there are a lot of historical sites along Duke Street

alt: okay Seventies Soulchild ..thanks

Selma: African Ancestry will be in Hampton at the end of the month..part of an AA Cultural weekend

Seventies Soulchild: The tour will go from Louisiana to Conneticut RIP Mr. Creuzot

vicky: lol nothing out my way I see seventies

Selma: Too hot vicky.. LOL

vicky: yeah I guess

Seventies Soulchild: Heck no! lol

vicky: Mabe they will interview real people to televise this trip lol

alt: Selma.. is AA culture weekend being sponsored by Hampton?

Seventies Soulchild: I hope so. . . this will go on during August

Selma: They are probably sponsoring part of it..this is Hampton's 400th Anniversary so it is one of their signature events... Drusilla will be doing 2 presentations.. Professor Dru

vicky: 400 years, I bet that will be grand!

Seventies Soulchild: Will this be for the Fields House and their esteemed alumi James Fields?

alt: okay, was wondering if this is the event that will announce the BIG news I'm waiting on to come out of Hampation.

vicky: what about you Sel will you be a presenter

Seventies Soulchild: brb these folks are heating up fried chicken.... SMH

Selma: I will have company during that time so didn't want to make a commitment..but I will probably go The Fields House is in Newport News...

Seventies Soulchild: But didn't James Fields graduate from Hampton?

Ingrid_Doweary: I'm sure there are a number of historic sites in Alexandria, Khathu. I just need the opportunity to see them.

Seventies Soulchild: ok you know what, I'm really about to drown in the scent of fried chicken... I'ma step out for a few...

Selma: yes he graduated from Hampton, he was born in Hanover County, he and his family escaped to Fort Monroe and were contraband... Dru presentation will be on doing genealogical research

Ingrid_Doweary: That's going to be sweet!

3rdthawkins: such a sterotypical person Seventies lol

Selma: Khathu did you finish your transcriptions of the documents?

Khathu: The Yes I did Selman

Ingrid_Doweary: Glad to hear that, Khathu.

Khathu: They were just statements taxable property which listed my ggg grandmother and her children

Ingrid_Doweary: Well it's good you got through it. I have a file of census records to transcribe.

Khathu: the documents confirmed how the enslaved property of the estate of Anna Whiteaker was divided up amongst her sons

3rdthawkins: Ok, I have a question................if you find someone in census and they seem like they could be a family member but not sure, can you just accept that person as your family member, even though nothing really says it but it definitely looks like it could be them?

alt: in a word NOPE

Khathu: i would not recommend that...

Selma: I think transcription are important Khathu...are you going to post

Khathu: as a good researcher you would need to look at other sources

Ingrid_Doweary: I've been cross referencing the persons with other census records, marriage listings, SSDIs, Obits, etc.

3rdthawkins: I already have three people that I'm looking at, two of them looks like they could be both the ones I'm looking for

Khathu: Selma do you mean to the slave database?

Ingrid_Doweary: Other documents in other words, Khathu.

Selma: Yes, you could put there..but I mean the whole document...in its entirety

Khathu: 3rd - you can't determine that from just looking at the census

alt: there are too many cases of the // same name, same county same time frame non-connections to just make that assumption

3rdthawkins: of course not Khathu

Ingrid_Doweary: I used about city directories today to cross reference a couple census records.

Khathu: 3rd - then i am confused. what are you asking

Ingrid_Doweary: 3 city directories I forget to say.

Khathu: Selma - I can post the whole document.

3rdthawkins: I see two people in census, one could be a grgr granduncle and another could be a grgr grandaunt..............name matches age matches and place of birht matches for her and parents for the aunt

Ingrid_Doweary: It just to happened they lived in Mobile, Alabama.

Khathu: okay

3rdthawkins: just living in a different place than I would expect

alt: the old standby of multiple docs for a sinle event seem to still apply in documenting what you think may be a connection

Ingrid_Doweary: I concur with your statement, Alt.

alt: ty Ingrid_Doweary

Ingrid_Doweary: YW, Alt.

3rdthawkins: alt for the grgrgranduncle...........his name seem to be spelled the same way in census as it is in a marriage record, the record I know his him, but the census not sure though name is spelled the same

alt: put it in your database w/notations 3rdthawkins

3rdthawkins: ok alt

alt: you can always 'unlink' if it is not the perosn you thought they were

3rdthawkins: right, ok this is one reason why I am ordering death certificate for the Hannah Isley I see died in 1931 Hempstead Co. AR, because I;m thinking it's my grgrgr gm but not sure, can't find her in 1920 or 1930 so I want to make sure this Hannah is my Hannah no other way

alt: thing is 3rdthawkins, you know, or are least are pretty sure of the name and the connections,,, further reseach will reveal if this information is for your relative or someone with the same name

3rdthawkins: so it's alright to keep the rec. and at least put a note or something, and if it's not, you can always take it off, it's not like adding a birth/date/marriage date or anything, ok

Seventies Soulchild: I'm baaaacccckkkk lol

3rdthawkins: or a name

Selma: Chicken good?

3rdthawkins: how wa the chicken?

Ingrid_Doweary: Did you enjoy yourself, Seventies?

Seventies Soulchild: That wasn't my chicken... lol I got fish... lol

alt: I think so 3rdthawkins

3rdthawkins: ok thx alt

alt: it might be wrong, but I do it frequently 3rdthawkins or at least .... have done it

Seventies Soulchild: ok got a ton of work to do. Talk to you all later.

3rdthawkins: when I sent my gf's cousin a descendants report, I put that the 1880 census of her grandfather (my grgr gf) Thomas Sanders was not verified, so I guess I can do something like that......... I'm just more sure of that census than these others

alt: have you presented your grandmother her 'gift'?

3rdthawkins: for one thing people doesn't say in the same place, so definitely not sure.....when someone says in a particular place all their life, it makes it easier not yet alt, will do it when I get down there next week

alt: oh okay, it's next week

Ingrid_Doweary: Thus you now have the benefit of using timelines.

3rdthawkins: true Ingrid

alt: 3rdthawkins, that's why Selam 'preaches' know the history of the area at given points in time... it sure makes things easier when there are doubts.

Ingrid_Doweary: A couple of timeline forms are included in my genealogy forms folder.

alt: Selam=Selma sorry bout that LOL and the geography

Ingrid_Doweary: Those individual-national history timeline forms have been helpful to me.

Khathu: have a good day everyone

alt: In following Dru's work on her Bullock's her's in Vance Co., NC and minr in Edgecombe Co., NC we find them in almost adjoining counties less the 50 miles apart.

Ingrid_Doweary: It's good to be familiar with the historical timeline of the geographic area also. Amazing.

alt: so it is possible we're talking about some type of family or slave-holding connections

Selma: Thats how I met Dru..I was giving a presentation..she asked me a question ...I told her GET A MAP..for the time frame she was researching

vicky: and over time counties change as well as city prect lol @ Selma

3rdthawkins: I'm looking more between 1900-1930

Ingrid_Doweary: You're absolutely right, Vicky. I have certainly encountered that in my research experience.

Selma: Heck..states come into existence at different times...

Ingrid_Doweary: As well as does the county formations.

vicky: right

alt: and there are name changes for townships & counties... ex.. her i my area some names were changed from German to Liberty during the WW I timeframe. didn't want to emphasis their German connections

vicky: they had a 100 year flood here and a whole town was moved more than 30 miles away and the name of the town was different

alt: exactly vicky and those things need to be known when researching an area.

Ingrid_Doweary: How about that? Trying to be politically correct back in the day.

vicky: yep

Selma: I have to run folks...see you tonight..have a great day.

Ingrid_Doweary: Wow about the 100 year flood infomation, Vicky.

alt: yep Ingrid PC even then LOL

Ingrid_Doweary: I see the comparison with the 100 yr flood and the 2005 Katrina Hurrican flood impact.

vicky: The new town was called Hopeville but all the residents did not chose to go

alt: good comparison Ingrid_Doweary

vicky: Most of these people were AA's with a sprinkling of Hispanics

Ingrid_Doweary: TY

alt: time for me to skedaddle y'all... laters

vicky: so you never know what to expect as the years go by ok alt later

Ingrid_Doweary: I understand that. Vicky, where did the 100 yrs flood occur?

vicky: In Arizona there was a chain of rivers and dams that overflooded bridges washed out

Ingrid_Doweary: Oh okay. I'll put that on my research checklist. What's the proximity between the chain of rivers and dams to the Rio Grande?

vicky: we were stuck on this side of the river rio grande is south, this came from the North

Ingrid_Doweary: Which direction, N,S,E or W?

vicky: The Rio is coming from Texas

Ingrid_Doweary: So, that's possibly North of the Rio?

vicky: It is closer to Colorado, Utah etc The Rio is south east coming from Texas The rains that came here would come from the Colorado up from Flagstaff and the Grand Canyon

3rdthawkins: ok you two ce ya tonite possibly

vicky: bye better run also cya later bye

18 Dec 2002 :: 1 Feb 2009
Copyright © 2002-2008 by AfriGeneas. All rights reserved.
AfriGeneas ~ African Ancestored Genealogy