Try a new Ancestry.com Membership!

Domain Name Registration at GoDaddy.com 120x60

Footnote.com

Note: Please follow the link(s) on the navigation bar below to search additional messages that have been archived to conserve space. If no link is visible, no messages have been archived on this board.

2012-04-10 SunSigns • TechieStuff

*LunchBunch

Start: 12:07:51
End: 13:02:25
Chatters: alt, AYWalton, Daviss, ProfDru, Selma, Seventies Soulchild, vkn

Seventies Soulchild: Hello alt! Sorry you couldn't make your genealogy conference...

alt: hello Seventies Soulchild .. how ya doing? Yeah, me too boo hoo

Seventies Soulchild: I'm doing well. the government is cutting another 10%

alt: Gov't always 'cutting', but somehow it seems to grow & grow LOL

Seventies Soulchild: Yes contracts.. lol

alt: yep, you can believe thru contract's and I think that is terrible.... fat cats getting fatter... Haliburton, for example

Seventies Soulchild: Of course... but that's what the gov't is looking at doing ... so get ready to get screwed again on your taxes. And of course these cuts disproportionately affect black people. But our Black POTUS just can't seem to understand this... *sigh* disappointing. They are even going to cut military strength

alt: in 1987 when I retired they were getting rid of IT people and contracting those jobs out.... now all, or most, of those jobs in what was the Air Force Logistic Command are done by civilian contractors.

Seventies Soulchild: smh this gives private industry I believe an unfair advantage.

vkn: heyyyyyyyyy dear people

Seventies Soulchild: Hello vkn

alt: yep, the thought then was to make the gov't compete with private industry of those positions. hello vkn,,, how 'be's' ya? for those positions

Seventies Soulchild: And you have contractors developing software, like they did when I was in the military that directly affected national security. I never thought that was a good idea.

vkn: I be good and you alt and you seventies

Seventies Soulchild: doing well vkn glad to see you're so cheery today.

vkn: Hey good peeps daviss

Daviss: hello alt, seventies and vkn!!

alt: hello Daviss, what's happening in 'Zona? LOL

Seventies Soulchild: Hello Daviss! :}

Daviss: lol lol

AYWalton: Good afternoon, all.

Seventies Soulchild: hello AYWalton

alt: hello AYWalton.. how goes it?

AYWalton: Howdy alt, Daviss, SoulChile. Greetings, vkn!!!!!!!!!!!!

vkn: Heyy good peeps AYW

AYWalton: going ok just popping in for a few.

Daviss: Hi AYWalton!

Seventies Soulchild: Altus AFB, OK. What did you find there Daviss?

alt: Ancestry has 'refined' their 1940 census searches.... makes it much easier to find ED's if you know the cross streets & cross roads of your areas.

AYWalton: my brother was stationed in Altus when he was in the Air Force. I am using Ancestry now exclusively, alt.

Daviss: I used to live there Seventies and found a few people I knew along with my niece and nephews folks

AYWalton: because I can see a page at a glance.

Seventies Soulchild: I was stationed in San Antoine.

vkn: Had an interesting chat on yesterday and having been trained by alt I searched the mailing list and came up with these two items

Seventies Soulchild: I see that Family Search is working on getting that 1940 census transcribed. Great!

vkn: see if this works http://tinyurl.com/cb3emfd

Daviss: I was living in Altus in 1963 -64

vkn: Take a look at what we discussed back in 1910 using the search on Sistuh1

Seventies Soulchild: Is that where you aunt lived Daviss?? You know the one who had the boarders who threw eggs at your car... excuse me.... LOL LOL LOL

AYWalton: that is an interesting interface, vkn. does it replace the archived messages look on the page?

Daviss: yep lol lol

alt: worked for me vkn...

vkn: AYW my new BFF is Evernote

Seventies Soulchild: Aunt Carmen, Carmella... can't recall the name

AYWalton: I have still not used it. sat through a session twice, but never found the time to use it.

vkn: Well its ok AYW I still have not blogged lol lol lol

AYWalton: have to use it again, as I forget everytime what it is for. I use bookmarks to go where I want to go---and forget what it is that makes it useful. lol well you do enough, vkn---you don't need to blog.

vkn: well let me modify that I tried it but it did not like me [blogging that is] lol

AYWalton: but someday if I get to be an organized person, I might use it and make it work for me.

alt: that's for sure re: vkn & blogging

AYWalton: well you have to have a story to tell with blogs. but you are already doing that with your family sites---and if you are also not in a "finding" mode then you might have a different need to blog.

vkn: Stories me got stories and stories and stories lol

AYWalton: I blog as I make certain discoveries---like finding and documenting Madam Martha Hockenhull---I had to blog about that. She is not a relatives but a genealogical story that stimulated me from last fall. and thanks to Precious Photos I was able to crack the case. So I blogged about it.

Seventies Soulchild: I like the Spottswood Rice story AYWalton.

AYWalton: Same thing with Spottswood Rice---I blogged about him, stemming from a letter that someone shared on Facebook.

Seventies Soulchild: Very inspirational and he should be noted more often.

alt: looking at the 1940 census and my page... I should write about what the page DOES NOT tell you.... an interesting story behind who I am with, where & why.

AYWalton: His life took me on a research journey and I blogged about that.

vkn: It is wonderful and you do it so well ayw. Just trying to share how much I enjoy Evernote

Seventies Soulchild: alt, you can write a note about that on Facebook. it would be great.

AYWalton: I know that it is useful--evernote---so I shall try again to employ it and make it work for me. I hear so much about it.

alt: that's a thought Seventies Soulchild

AYWalton: alt that would be a good thing to write about---what 1940 does NOT tell you. oh that reminds me---vkn, what is the status of Precious Photos?

vkn: But I am organized to the hilt AYW my family says to a fault lol

AYWalton: I wish I was organized, vkn.

alt: me too AYWalton

Daviss: what is organized

AYWalton: I need a true session---lesson---baptism--(by dipping under water no less) into being a more organized soul.

vkn: Stay in you own lane AYW I am in the organized lane lol lol

AYWalton: lol

alt: I mean .. I wish I was organized too LOL LOL

Seventies Soulchild: lol Daviss. Its what people do when they don't have much else to do..lol

AYWalton: but I need it---I am often drowning in too much----stuff!! and stuff---quickly becomes junk!

vkn: My daughter says I am even color coded

AYWalton: oh wow, vkn!

vkn: Makes her sick

Daviss: lol lol

Seventies Soulchild: lol lol lol

AYWalton: I wish I was, though. :)

alt: that's how vkn is able to get so much accomplished ... organization!!!!!

vkn: But AYW you are organized just not emerged yet you be a Capricorn organized naturally by the sun and stars

AYWalton: I think the problem is----not how to be organized---but how to make sense out of junk and THEN to organize it. lol an un emerged type. I like that. I am going to have to use that expression. I am not disorganized, I have just not yet emerged. I like that! :)

vkn: lol

AYWalton: still in the embryonic stage. Ok that works for me. lol

Daviss: oh so because I am a Pisces I can be all cluttered up!!

vkn: Well AYW my favorite Capricorns are Christ Hitler Nixon and we fall on a scale dominated by those three slide you and me lol lol lol

AYWalton: hahahaha....oh well, just own it Daviss. I am owning my unemerged self.

Daviss: up stream and down stream lol

AYWalton: oh Lord---Hitler?

Daviss: EECK!!!

AYWalton: well shows you that all kinds of types have the same issues.

vkn: he was super organized The rest of us just walk on water

Seventies Soulchild: whoa

AYWalton: lol

vkn: well I have had my say for today lol

Daviss: hmmmmmmmm

Seventies Soulchild: well My fav Taurus/Gemini Cusps are Biggie Smalls and Malcolm X.. we are all within a 3 day birthday time frame. :}

Daviss: thats because I am now trying to figure me out lol

alt: Melvin Collier put up on Facebook a really nice video clip promoting his upcoming Reed-Puryear family reunion.

vkn: very good seventies

AYWalton: yes I saw that. I attended the one in Atlanta several years ago.

vkn: What is your sun sign alt

Seventies Soulchild: I'm not paying your way alt.. lol

Daviss: He is good at what he does

AYWalton: that's true.

alt: I be's Da Bull vkn... born on Mother's Day... what a gift LOL LOL

AYWalton: he has turned telling the story and putting the family history out there into an art form.

alt: okay Seventies Soulchild, so you won't help a brotha LOL

Seventies Soulchild: My baby brother was born on Mother's Day

vkn: wow that is a gift and one to treasure

Seventies Soulchild: tauruses are stubborn, lovers of good food, and intelligent. yes he's mom's favorite.

AYWalton: vkn that evernote interface---it that unique to evernote or has something changed at msstate?

alt: that's me Seventies Soulchild .. all of that LOL LOL LOL

Seventies Soulchild: Let me emphasize STUBBORN... lol

vkn: Capricorns are what I call "RED" people AYW

AYWalton: Red? how so?

vkn: as in people come in four colors red green blue and blend

Seventies Soulchild: I'm a green.

vkn: Most people on my scale of things have a primary color

alt: oh Seventies Soulchild, that is my Great-grandson, not grandson.... you 'shorted' me a generation LOL LOL LOL

Daviss: Oh AYWalton did you find your dad??

AYWalton: not yet, Daviss

vkn: when things are going well they hold to their primary color

AYWalton: Still looking.

Seventies Soulchild: lol Well great, or just grand still all grandbabies.. lol

vkn: when things are going not so well they change behavior to a more accommodating color

AYWalton: funny I do wear red a lot, although it is not a favorite color. But I wear it often! Looks good on me, I think. And I don't even really like red--but wear it a lot. that's funny.

vkn: A red perso is red regardless

Daviss: my cousin this morn on FB told me she she could not find her dad

Seventies Soulchild: I like green and blue.

Daviss: I found him in 3 mins

AYWalton: wow Daviss!!

Daviss: told her where to look

vkn: get out of their way or they will kill you

Seventies Soulchild: shoot can you find my dad in AL?? I can't find him.

AYWalton: I need to put you on the hunt for my Waltons.

Daviss: so she could get the thrill

alt: Daviss, I'm using the 'cross street" thingee on Ancestry, it narrows the search down considerably.

vkn: LOL red will let NOTHING stop them

Daviss: I do too alt

AYWalton: perhaps in some ways that is true, vkn.

alt: it's great, huh Daviss?

AYWalton: just go on out there and do it does work.

vkn: Seventies green people are generally "but what if"

AYWalton: you using Ancestry most of the time, alt?

Daviss: I told cousin how to do it the other day but think she may have gotten the wrong street down

alt: yep AYWalton, exclusively

vkn: and blue people are generally " why cant we all get along"

AYWalton: same for me. I use it all the time, now.

Seventies Soulchild: hmm interesting

Daviss: I just cant figure out where my downloads are going

AYWalton: I wonder if the images that we downloaded from Ancestry.com are on our hard drive. I need to get them off if they are.

Seventies Soulchild: Oh then I must be some other color.. lol

Daviss: I downloaded about 6 pages and cant find them

AYWalton: I know---who knows where things go.

alt: they should be on your hard drive in the 'downloads' folder like Seventies Soulchild said, unless you've you've sent them somewhere else.

Seventies Soulchild: Did you download from the Archives?

AYWalton: there is no option to send them anywhere---you click download and there it is.

alt: download ... under MyDocuments

AYWalton: somewhere.

Daviss: its not there alt.. I looked and the last day was on the 5th\

AYWalton: probably in the downloads folder. I need to try to organized my computer. I have several MyDocuments folders and then I have a folder called Documents that also have MYDocuments---and it's all crazy!!!!

Seventies Soulchild: Did you attempt to download the zip file. Because for some reason I tried and the folders were empty.

Daviss: downloads should be there even those I downloaded last night

alt: Daviss, can't help you.... Mariah has put the 'jinx' on your stuff LOL lOL

AYWalton: same folders inside of other folders----I NEVER did that---but you know how it is.......things just end up in crazy places.

Daviss: lol lol lol

Seventies Soulchild: Its best to download indvidual pages.

AYWalton: of course I never took a computer class in my life---so my stumbling and bumbling always makes my hard drive get jumbled. I have no sense of organization---(Unemrged) and it is impossible to find things so often.

Daviss: I did seventies and then went to downloads to rename..It was not there I downloaded again, the same thing

vkn: Got a visitor actually it is my computer guy so gotta go

Daviss: I then went to another page and tried that, same thing

Seventies Soulchild: The best thing to do is when you go to save the image, select your location and re-name the file right away. You should be able to do that before saving the image.

alt: if they went there as a phot image.. search your hard drive (C) for the file extension .jpg, .jpeg. or .tif that should find all of your photos regardless of where they are.

Daviss: It would not let me..Thats what I am saying

Seventies Soulchild: Where did you go to get these images again? alt I think that she should check her tmp file.

Daviss: now I can do that on everything else but on Ancestry 1940 census

alt: hello ProfDru

AYWalton: when you click download on Archives.com---there is no download as you click download and it comes up. It is already somewhere on your machine. No option to change anything.

ProfDru: hello gang

AYWalton: Howdy ProfDru!

Daviss: hello prof dru

AYWalton: no option to do anything with it---I hear ya Daviss.

alt: I think that's why the go into the 'download' folder in MyDocuments AYWalton

Daviss: I even went to the right click on the image and the same thing happened

AYWalton: oh gracious I just took a look!!! There they are----hundreds of them. Going to delete them right away!!! don't need all those images eating up hard drive space

Daviss: alt, I have downloads in the download folder. its just not the ones I downloaded from Ancestry last night

alt: if you're at 120 or more GB's on your computer AYWalton .. I wouldn't worry about it.

Daviss: those are the ones I am trying to find..

AYWalton: really? hmm.........still too many photos that I don't want. and now that I am using Ancestry and not bothering with Archives.com I think I should trash these. Plus, they are HUGE images!

Seventies Soulchild: Right the files are small.

alt: your choice AYWalton.. I have something like 4-5 THOUSAND photos on my computer in MyPictures and other folders.

Daviss: where is the tmp files located seventies, I don't see that

Selma: Good Tuesday afternoon folks

alt: Hello Selma... glad you coud join us :)

Daviss: hi Selma!!

Selma: I have company..

AYWalton: I have over 133 GB of space used, and only 15 GB left on my hard drive. (just took a look.) yes, I think I need to delete a bit. and things I want to keep, I might move to my portable HD.

Seventies Soulchild: Mostly for your podcase AYWalton?

alt: WOW AYWalton, what do you have on your computer?????

AYWalton: too many images I suspect. Plus videos.

Daviss: Selma is Victoria Angela there?

alt: I see AYWalton

Selma: No..my Mom and sister

ProfDru: My 102 Aunt passed this morning. She was such a tremendous contributor to telling me about my father's family.

Daviss: ok tell them howdy!!

Selma: Sorry to hear that Dru

Seventies Soulchild: ok gotta run and stir up trouble... lol Just kiddin' bye y'all

AYWalton: when editing, I have to move the raw video footage to my hard Drive because Movie Maker wont' allow me to see them if only on a memory card. Yes, I need to clean up a bit.

Daviss: so sorry to hear that Dru!

alt: condolences to your family ProfDru

ProfDru: Thanks

AYWalton: condolences for the loss of your aunt, ProfDru.

Daviss: 102 years of blessings Dru..Not bad at all

ProfDru: Angela, the youth video was great. I'm posting it on my youth genealogy blog.

AYWalton: oh glad you got to see it, ProfDru. Thanks

Daviss: I think I will go shake up my hard drive later folks

alt: later Daviss

AYWalton: alt when I made that video I had to import the raw video twice. I had edited it, then saved it then poof---it vanished. And I had to do it all over again!!

alt: oops, too late

AYWalton: happens a lot sometimes when editing videos.

Selma: Poof it vanished...Did you scream

AYWalton: oh well---I better get back to my task of the day. Working on my syllabus materials for Samford.

alt: okay AYWalton, that 'stuff' is above my pay grade LOL LOL

AYWalton: yes, I said colorful words, Selma! lol on that note, I 'm gone yall. Have a good one.

alt: puff... they're gone LOL

Selma: Puff..I better run too.. LOL

alt: hello to your company & bye Selma

Selma: Bye

18 Dec 2002 :: 1 Feb 2009
Copyright © 2002-2008 by AfriGeneas. All rights reserved.
AfriGeneas ~ African Ancestored Genealogy