Try a new Ancestry.com Membership!

Domain Name Registration at GoDaddy.com 120x60

Footnote.com

Note: Please follow the link(s) on the navigation bar below to search additional messages that have been archived to conserve space. If no link is visible, no messages have been archived on this board.

2012-04-09 What's In A Name?

*LunchBunch

Start: 12:06:40
End: 13:12:38
Chatters: AYWalton, bbenn, catrina703, Daviss, Seventies Soulchild, vkn

Seventies Soulchild: For those who don't have Easter hangover, Lunch Bunch chat is now open. Just type my name Seventies Soulchild to get my attention. Hi Daviss

Daviss: lol lol now you know I was supposed to say hi first

Seventies Soulchild: Impeccible timing. lol

Daviss: my typing speed has improved but not that fast

Seventies Soulchild: lol How much ham did you eat yesterday?

Daviss: I just read your post re: your cousin and her dad

Seventies Soulchild: Oh yes. That was such a welcome surprise to the family.

Daviss: I did not eat to much.. I was home alone so it was rather sparse lol heyyy bbenn

Seventies Soulchild: Again??? geez! lol Hello bbenn

bbenn: Howdy Daviss and Seventies Soulchild

Daviss: I spent the day browsing the census bbenn I was going to msg you

Seventies Soulchild: I didn't. still can't find my dad in Jones/Bethel, AL

Daviss: Pearl Alice said yes!!

Seventies Soulchild: I even tried Plantersville, AL in Dallas Co. No luck. Who is Pearl Alice?? You know I'm not in the know... lol

Daviss: I found my grandfather but not my dad or mom yet

Seventies Soulchild: Where are they supposed to be living Daviss??

Daviss: grandfather said he was away at a CCC camp. I found a site that lists them all and that would be a chore

Seventies Soulchild: As if going through the census isn't a chore... lol

Daviss: my mother I think was in Houston

bbenn: I found my husband's folks but, my people are hidinglol

Seventies Soulchild: You may as well go through it. Ok have you tried any of the surrounding areas?

Daviss: nothing unusual for me anyway Seventies lol bbenn!

Seventies Soulchild: Daviss....

Daviss: lol

Seventies Soulchild: Where did you find them bbenn?

Daviss: did you hear me when I said that Pearl Alice said yes!!

bbenn: I found them in Union and Claiborne Parish, La. My folks are hiding out in Nawlins'

Seventies Soulchild: Oh okay.

bbenn: The census taker walked in circles...

Seventies Soulchild: oh. Could they be in Metaire, LA? or one of those outlying suburbs of the city?

bbenn: oh, that's wonderful! Send me her contact information. No, they are right in the middle of the city.

Seventies Soulchild: ok

bbenn: I have the addresses....

Seventies Soulchild: Ok

Daviss: mine walked one side and then back up to the other side.. In that block that they lived on, they could have gotten to them at once lol especially since they lived right next to each other

Seventies Soulchild: There has to be a demarcation line somewhere... :-} Back then people needed jobs so the more EDs the better.

bbenn: I am having problems with the cross streets.

Daviss: 'the cross streets I used are the wrong ones I think on one I went to the previous ED district and found the people who I know lived and should have been in the ED Dist I picked

Seventies Soulchild: What did you use to reference the cross streets??

Daviss: the front and back and the two side streets

bbenn: I am working with the SIG and they are making a lot of progress with the 1940 census. One person was looking for a Telli and her first name is actually Estell. Family members always called her Telli...

Seventies Soulchild: I tried to used the city directory for 1940 in trying to locate my big city relatives in Muskogee, OK. To no avail. oh bbenn, where is your class today?

bbenn: I looked at the map and saw that Broadway was one of the cross streets. The problem is that Broadway went clear across uptown NOLA.

Daviss: mine are not in the city directory in Bristow Okla

bbenn: The WDC FHC in Maryland.

Seventies Soulchild: A small town, Daviss??

Daviss: yep

bbenn: Much better luck with the small towns.

Daviss: I figure they lived in the rural area

Seventies Soulchild: I agree. So far the small towns and areas I'm able to find without issue. Also the same with my Ms family.

Daviss: I used the ed dist for 1930 and it was converted to the 40.. No luck there

Seventies Soulchild: I found several relatives on the first look at the 1940 census.

bbenn: That worked for the rural areas but not for the city.

Daviss: I found two friends of mine that live here with no problem.. They are not even into Genealogy lol

Seventies Soulchild: lol of course.

Daviss: I swear.....

bbenn: Well, I guess that we have to just join and index project and this will become a very easy task.

Seventies Soulchild: I found Thomas McFarland on the Woodville, MS first go round... I checked on Family Search today and LA and MS are both at 2%-3% completed.

Daviss: been there done that bbenn still a trip

Seventies Soulchild: lol are either of you transcribing this time?

Daviss: not this time for me on the 40

bbenn: Not yet...

Daviss: I may later but I did it for 2 yrs

Seventies Soulchild: What amount of pages do you normally receive for transcription?

Daviss: then they gave you a block of pages.when you finish they give you another

Seventies Soulchild: It seems as if it would be easier to transcribe a couple of pages of census records vs. marriage certificates. ooh wee.. I had to take a break from that.

Daviss: I have transcribed for several folks I don't mind doing it but eyes need a break and right now they won't get it by me looking for peeps now

bbenn: I cannot work on the computer too long because of dry eyes. I had serious problems last week.

Daviss: I bet bbenn.. mine watered like a fountain last night

bbenn: ok, you can relate...same problem. Doc gave me special drops and told me to get as far away from the computer as possible. I am non-compliantlol lol

Daviss: lol lol

Seventies Soulchild: lol

Daviss: bbenn do you have any Rochon or Blaise in your NO lines?

bbenn: No...Mitchell, Youngblood, Watson, Battiste, Pompey(Pompes), Smith, Johnson

Daviss: What about that Johnny Youngblood did you get him

bbenn: Sent him a letter. No response. Spoke to his cousin and we are looking at the tree.

Daviss: ok that nay work may

Seventies Soulchild: Y'all, I have to get going. I will talk to you tomorrow.

bbenn: His cousin was very helpful and we connected on Facebook.

Daviss: great, bbenn!

bbenn: Daviss, I am going to sign off. Please send me the contact information. Thank you.

Daviss: I will

AYWalton: Good afternon, folks oops somebody leaving? howdy Bernice and Vicky!!!

Daviss: heyyyy AYWalton

AYWalton: hope you both had a Happy Easter!

catrina703: am i too late?

bbenn: Hey AYWALTON! I was just signing off. How was your Easter?

Daviss: hi Catrina703!!

AYWalton: hi Catrina it was nice and yours?

bbenn: hi Catrina

AYWalton: hope you all had a good one!

catrina703: whats the topic for today?

Daviss: mine was good and I really spent it alone!

AYWalton: open chat catrina! is that right Daviss? 1940 census still going. I am still perusing the town for my dad and grandparents!

bbenn: bye

AYWalton: but found my Bass clan down in Sevier County.

Daviss: The kids were all gone and I spent the day searching whats your topic catrina703???

catrina703: found my peeps on the 1940 but folks in my family never move

AYWalton: you are lucky, catrina. that's great!

catrina703: I don't have any thing specfic

Daviss: good for you catrina, nice!! I think most people are still into the 40 census

catrina703: mostly struggling with getting family to give me infor

Daviss: lol that sounds like me except I have noone to ask anymore

vkn: Howdy to all

AYWalton: greetings, vkn!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

catrina703: anything LOVES when i find something new...but no one seem to have info to give

Daviss: hi there vkn!

vkn: Thankee AYW

AYWalton: catrina703 have your shared the documents like the census with them?

vkn: dy daviss & Catrina703

catrina703: yes ...i resently opened a group page on facebook

Daviss: Did you get to look at the PBS Gates show last night

AYWalton: perhaps sharing the documents with them------in person, then tape their reactions as they see other names on the page. Great stories often pour out unofficially.

vkn: that was a howdy at the beginning

Daviss: hehehee @vkn

AYWalton: I have a family page---trust me---they don't know what to say especially online. Many will just go ooo, and ahh and say "that's nice". the ones who need to see it are the elders who may still be alive. You need to give it to them directly, and then tape (audio tape) what they say as they look at the page.

Daviss: they don't get on Facebook lol

vkn: Congrats on the TV site AYW looks very good and you go sister girl !!!

AYWalton: Younger relatives---the ones on Facebook will just admire. the youtube channel, vkn?

vkn: ok

AYWalton: Just trying something new. We need to be out there, I think. AfriGeneas could do the same. In fact AfriGeneas has a youtube channel I believe. the intention is to simply cover stories about whatever is going on in the community, if I am fortunate to be there---hopefully it will get covered.

vkn: Great to see you not only raise the banner but carry it to lead the way.

Daviss: yes, great job with that AYWalton!

catrina703: the 'older' folks are but very secretive

AYWalton: but catrina, often times you will get the stories indirectly.

catrina703: i see

Daviss: AYWalton, that would be a great topic...How to get the secrets out of the Elders

AYWalton: Example---an elders sees a name on a page---NOT on a computer screen---and says "why there is Martha Thompkins. She was my brother's girlfriend and then she went off an married John Watkins." you would have never known to ask anything about Martha Taylor, so of course you can't expect the elder to talk about her.

vkn: Daviss it will prolly not happen

AYWalton: but showing them the record generates, precious comments. a group on Facebook does not bring out family stories. computers are tools, but not short cuts. you have to print off the page---make it large enough to see---take it to the elder and talk to them face to face. and also remember that friends of your elders are also your elders. many will say---all the elders are gone in my family.

Daviss: The Elders from long ago went through so much so they were taught to be secretive

AYWalton: well I say expand the circle of elders. the group on Facebook won't do it.

catrina703: since i'm in VA and not SC its sometimes difficult..even by phone to get info...but you're correct

Daviss: I am now the Elder and they can get whatever they want from me but no one is interested :(

AYWalton: Bernice told me she spoke with her husband's aunt last week, and she told her that her name was on the census. The aunt got so excited and when she started reading off the names----every name brought out another story!!! and that aunt will never be on Facebook. Daviss, I am finding now that spoon feeding it to them helps.

vkn: Remember a great number of "older" people were cultured to "not let the right hand know what the left hand is doing" lol

AYWalton: I have a newsletter I have created and I am sharing small bits of the history.

catrina703: many of the elder folks don't know me so can very secretive

AYWalton: they have heard me speak at reunions---but they don't recall anything. So I give them a census record, or a marriage record....bit by bit. some are actually asking questions. most have no idea how we are really cousins.

Daviss: and some cousins are not cousins lol just called cousin

AYWalton: which tells me that most folks just move through life somehow with no sense of how they connect---they just live.

vkn: Well that cousin thing is a tricky animal

catrina703: The sea island culture is very connected, they just take for granted that everyone already knows the history I’m trying to bridge the gap between the different generation

Daviss: sure is vkn, just like aunts and uncles.. I do have a cousin whom I called Uncle Charlie.Found out he was a cousin but everyone called him Uncle because he was much older

AYWalton: true that does happen.

Daviss: I was about 35 before I found that out I told my brother last year and he was truly shocked my brother is in his 60's lol but you live and you learn

catrina703: :} Daviss

Daviss: Are you just searching in SC catrina703?

vkn: In my maternal family people are called by the role they are in with another the other. It is somewhat complicated but it works. For instance my mother called all of her sisters "Sister" [whatever the given name]

catrina703: Mostly, yes some GA

Daviss: interesting vkn and the brothers same thing I imagine

AYWalton: that is very southern. My grandmother did the same thing. But no one in the generation after her ever did.

vkn: so we knew that when Mama said sister we were to say Aunt and so on. Yes the brothers the same.

AYWalton: that is also very African. My husband's siblings all call him "Brother". I recall that "Sister Pat" was my gr. Aunt Pat--my grandmother's sister in law. Aunt Pat's husband was Uncle John and Grandma called him "Brother John" and he called her "Sister Ellen"

vkn: Even today friends use the name calling that I do and call my relatives Bro or Sis whomever

AYWalton: that tradition died with them, though. but my dad and his brother only called each other by their given names. my mother called her 1st cousin Bennie as Cousin Bennie. And there was Cousin Frances another cousin in Chicago.

catrina703: My family tended to use the same first names over and over, naming their children after their brothers & sisters…so we may have 4-5 Chris, Richard, and Isaac in the same generation

Daviss: my grandmother called her brother Reverend Taylor after he became a preacher. I thought that was odd between siblings

AYWalton: that is interesting. a sign of respect, though. well, I have to run, folks. Have a good day everyone!

catrina703: then there are of course the nicknames...lil bumpy, poochy, etc, LOL

Daviss: in my Burks line there are two sons named Seaborn.. One died early and they renamed another. then the sons all had a Seaborn all except my grandfather because he only had one daughter lol

catrina703: interesting

vkn: I have noticed trending with that Daviss

Daviss: now you don't know where these names are likely to come from lol Brandy, Techilla, Passion, lol

catrina703: LOL thanks for the chat folks

Daviss: lol u2 catrina703

catrina703: see you next time

vkn: Howdy again

Daviss: well ms vkn I guess you can go get some of that off your plate now lol

vkn: lol Talk atcha soon

Daviss: ok later

18 Dec 2002 :: 1 Feb 2009
Copyright © 2002-2008 by AfriGeneas. All rights reserved.
AfriGeneas ~ African Ancestored Genealogy