Try a new Ancestry.com Membership!

Domain Name Registration at GoDaddy.com 120x60

Footnote.com

Note: Please follow the link(s) on the navigation bar below to search additional messages that have been archived to conserve space. If no link is visible, no messages have been archived on this board.

2012-04-06 Census Circles 1940

*LunchBunch

Start: 12:07:25
End: 13:25:31
Chatters: alt, bbenn, Daviss, ProfDru, Seventies Soulchild, vkn, yatah

Daviss: Heyyyy Partner lol

alt: hey partner.. how ya doing?

Daviss: doing good thanks! Whata about you?

alt: doing fine.. working with Ancestry.com & the Census of 1940

Seventies Soulchild: hello

Daviss: I see your bud reared up on the forum :? Good for you alt Hi Seventies!!

Seventies Soulchild: Hi Daviss and alt Saw your post on Lucy Bagby... good article Daviss

alt: Hi Seventies Soulchild ..... yeah, my bud showed up.

Daviss: I was tgring to find that Old Soldiers Home in Erie County Ohio to get the address but had no luck trying

Seventies Soulchild: ok I'm lost who is your bud alt? Daviss?

alt: it's in Sanduxky, Ohio Daviss

Daviss: yes I thought so also Seventies

yatah: hi there

Daviss: ok thx alt.. I am trying to help get that addy so we can zero in on the 1940 hello yatah!!

Seventies Soulchild: I used the city directories as a guide for my OK people and still hadn't located them. I'm going to keep looking though

Daviss: mabe they did not live in the city seventies

Seventies Soulchild: They did.

Daviss: thats what I am trring to do for my Ok peeps however I think they may have lived in the boonies

yatah: i have quiller back to 1781 someone from south carolina museum/cultural center sent to me more information i gave them information i found

Daviss: good for you yatah..Congrats!!!!!

yatah: yea and darby too

Seventies Soulchild: Congratulations yatah. Glad you found your peoples. :} brb

yatah: you right about smith darby and mary

Daviss: Then you are set really well!! We are happy for you

yatah: yeah

Daviss: I am hoping to help find this Wm Lee located at that Soldiers home for a friend and then I will settle down to my peeps

yatah: yeah in 1871 fiest person slave in family by someone yeah i hope you find more wink n 1781

Daviss: ok I was going to ask if you had the yr wrong lol

yatah: lol

Daviss: so you tied them to your people from 1781 down yatah

yatah: yeah look alike yep Easter quiller is first gen i have gen 4 as far

Daviss: Like I said yatah, Congrats to you my friend!!!

yatah: 5 th gen is my last one my grandpa who alive long time darby is 2 gen as far stop there

Daviss: how old was he

yatah: my grandpa live since 1921 to 1992 died 71 i think

Daviss: ok

yatah: my grandpa is 6 th child of my ggg parents

alt: Ancesrty has the 1940 census for Delaware INDEXED and searchable .. I posted on AfriGeneas ... http://www.afrigeneas.com/forum/index.cgi/md/read/id/85759

Daviss: how about you alt, have you been fairly lucky I saw that alt. No Delaware peeps for me

alt: great success Daviss

Daviss: thats wonderful alt

alt: but you can see how the search feature works using Delaware as an example Daviss

Daviss: yes alt

yatah: thanks you for your gave me information long time ago

Daviss: you are welcome yatah

alt: I searched on Delaware & Kent County & negro got 6,750 hits which show the detailed information, plus the images viewable. so you can see how it's going to work when your States become available.

Daviss: I am waiting on Okla, Mo and texas.. I fear that will be about two yrs from now lol especially Texas with its 260 plus counties

Seventies Soulchild: hey back. People must be getting ready for Good Friday church services.

alt: oh no, it'll be complete withing a month or two ... betcha

Daviss: I did find a couple pages for some AZ folks I know alt just so they could see themselves and jump on the genealogy bandwagon lol lol

alt: right

yatah: now i need work on davis's parent

Daviss: besides my group needs more members lol there will always be more and more yatah.. how many grands do we have in 10 generations ?

Seventies Soulchild: What group is that Daviss?

Daviss: Genealogy Group in Phx Seventies

Seventies Soulchild: Oh how is your genea group in Phoenix going? Settled on a location yet??

Daviss: Well we will get a home in June I think at a library near my house Thank God!!

alt: wonderful!!!!!!!

Seventies Soulchild: You know that conversation we had regarding that prompted me to call my local library about the same thing. No groups allowed, but can have meetings there 1 or 2 times in a year for $25 each time.

Daviss: and this library will be tons less than what they wanted at the new library located on that Colledge ground

alt: that's the normal 'routine' Seventies Soulchild

Seventies Soulchild: ok alt... I had no idea. But it would be great to do a couple of workshops there.

yatah: i have davis'sparent whew henry davis's mom remarried and three more children i think

Daviss: alt the one library wanted a 100,000 bond!!

yatah: his father died

Seventies Soulchild: Well you all should be able to meet there and use the resources anyway.. even if its just for a bi-annual trip.

alt: our meetings AAGGMV are held at Library meeting rooms across our 9 county area Seventies Soulchild

Seventies Soulchild: ok we only have one library. We're a one horseshoe town alt.. lol no traffic lights

alt: our group (memebrers) is located in one-horse towns Seventies Soulchild.

Seventies Soulchild: And the library is housed in what used to be the town home of J.P. Morgans' wife. Anyway, I caught something interesting this morning in the local paper.. I wrote about it on facebook... won't reguritate here. :)

alt: on the Obit Seventies Soulchild

Seventies Soulchild: Yes.\ Turns out the hubby was the one from Autauga Co. AL.. Did you all enjoy Bernice's show last night?

alt: missed it, will listen online later today

Seventies Soulchild: Well I called in to ask a question.

Daviss: I missed it also seventies

alt: okay, wonderful!!!

Daviss: heyyy bbenn

Seventies Soulchild: speaking of bbenn... lol Hi!

alt: Hello bbenn, just talking about your program from last night.

bbenn: Hello Everyone !

Daviss: lol

Seventies Soulchild: hello vkn

alt: hello vkn

bbenn: Thanks for calling in last night!:}

vkn: Good afternoon to all

bbenn: hello vkn

Daviss: I usually have a rough time listening to the show because of the time frame but try and catch later hi vkn!

Seventies Soulchild: No problem. I wanted her to say what types of record sets are unique to researching your family in the Caribbean and West Indies and where to start with the paper trail.

vkn: bbenn alt daviss seventies howdy howdy

bbenn: Check it out anytime!

Daviss: yes, that is whats good

bbenn: I can send your question to her...

Seventies Soulchild: I didn't know she was a journalist here in our fair NY!

bbenn: Give her a call...

vkn: The show was good last night Bbenn but I was frustrated to the max because I almost hate facebook so had Much difficulty trying to connect and remain connected

Seventies Soulchild: I also wanted to mention that there was a lot of 'Island hopping' in the Caribbean... For example B.J. Smothers mom has family in Cuba and Jamaica.

bbenn: What's happening with facebook? Is it timelines?

Seventies Soulchild: I had a cousin whose father and family are Jamaican-Cuban blacks.. and her son is black an Afro Chinese...

Daviss: you don't have to go in thru facebook

vkn: LOL its whats happening with MOI

bbenn: ok

Seventies Soulchild: So this was a subject of interest to me. Am I chatting with myself? lol

Daviss: bbenn can you send vkn a link that she can go in without going through fb?

Seventies Soulchild: vkn, you can bookmark the main page for bbenss show.

bbenn: I know that Sylvia would love to keep the discussion going...connect with her when you have time.

vkn: Anyway I need to catch up with you anyway bbenn so will be in touch by end of day

bbenn: sure...www.blogtalkradio.com/bernicebennett - very easy to go thru this link.

Seventies Soulchild: yes make sure you bookmark it. When a show is airing a red bar will appear saying "ON AIR"

vkn: seventies my book marks have bookmarks lol lol

Seventies Soulchild: lol lol lol

Daviss: vkn I will copy and paste to you in an email

vkn: Anyhoo would like to set a meeting to update the status of 1940 and the African American Heritage project

Daviss: you should have it by now vkn

bbenn: Say more about the African American Heritage project

vkn: VKN is increasingly overwhelmed

Daviss: are you saying that your plate has turned into a platter vkn?

vkn: an entire smorgasbord lol

Daviss: bbenn who is the next guest

bbenn: Derek Davey out of Ohio

Daviss: hmmm not familiar

bbenn: He is discussing resources in Ohio and Michigan..

Daviss: oic

vkn: sounds good bbenn

bbenn: he works closely with familysearch The next show is going to be very interesting ..the gggranddaughter of Dred Scott is on the program.

ProfDru: hello gang

Daviss: I will camp out when you have a Texas guest lol hi there ProfDru!!

vkn: ProfDru howdy

ProfDru: finally found my PAIR grandparents on the 1940 census

Daviss: good for you ProfDru!!

alt: hi Prof Dru

vkn: Congrats to the max ProfDru

ProfDru: My grandmother was asked the supplemental questions

alt: looking forward to Derek Davey & his take on OH/MI records & resources.

bbenn: Congrats!

vkn: nice

alt: oh wow ProfDru, that's great!!!!

bbenn: alt, remember to send me your questions I had to back off of the 1940 census...very addicting! lol lol lol

alt: okay bbenn, I'll get then to you in advance of the show.

Daviss: lol @ bbenn

bbenn: thanks alt

alt: then=them

vkn: Were the grands where you expected Dru

ProfDru: yes

vkn: A great idea to accept questions in advance bbenn

Seventies Soulchild: oops!

alt: I mentioned earlier that Delaware has been INDEXED on ancestry.com and the search feature really looks good!!!! http://www.afrigeneas.com/forum/index.cgi/md/read/id/85759

Seventies Soulchild: already? wow that was fast alt.

vkn: Yes good post alt

ProfDru: my father had not been born yet; seven sisters were alive and Grandma was pregnant with her youngest daughter. Of course the census does not mention the pregnancy. Her oldest daughter was also pregnant.

bbenn: wow! that's fast.. have any of you started indexing?

ProfDru: not yet; hoping to get started this weekend.

vkn: LOL funny about census not mentioning pregnancy

alt: hehehehehe vkn LOL

ProfDru: lol

Seventies Soulchild: ProfDru, sounds like good stuff so far. This was in VA?

ProfDru: yes, va

bbenn: I am giving myself another week to study my States before I start indexing. I have Louisiana, South Carolina, Georgia, Penn., North Carolina and DC to tract family.

vkn: I am enjoying the side notes in those sheets I have accessed so far which are not yet trending

Daviss: most of mine have no side notes

ProfDru: wow bernice, that's a lot of states. I have one more ancestor to locate and then the others I'm looking for are collaterals

Seventies Soulchild: I've only been successful in MS so far.Still can't find my dad in Autauga. He may have been living in Dallas Co.

bbenn: yes, too many. My folks are everywhere lol

alt: I'm all over the place too bbenn

Seventies Soulchild: It looks like 1940 is the year where the G.M. really took off

bbenn: Grandfather is in Atlanta on Glen Iris Drive.

Daviss: wow ProfDru are you near that F-18 crash in Va

ProfDru: had not heard about that daviss

Daviss: on news now

vkn: Fulton County bbenn?

ProfDru: I'll look

bbenn: I found my Louisiana folks are in the exact location as they were in the 1870 census. yes, fulton county

ProfDru: good for you bernice

Seventies Soulchild: So you family tree bends inward too, huh bbenn! :}

bbenn: yep!

alt: anyone used google earth to locate the homes/areas where your folks were located in 1940?

Daviss: MSNBC ProfDru

ProfDru: With the recent release of the 1940 census, I've begun revisiting my research on my family.

Seventies Soulchild: You know, I still don't have the hang of how that is supposed to work alt.

Daviss: not yet for me alt. google does not go that far down in the country

Seventies Soulchild: That's the problem I have too Daviss.

bbenn: ProDru, I am also revisiting some of my family history. I have an old bible and I found all of the folks in the 1940 census listed in that bible.

vkn: What about pre google maps daviss

alt: wonderful bbenn

Daviss: I can turn down the I-20 on ElsianField rd but it stops about a mile down

Seventies Soulchild: I had success in N.O. with where my aunt Mary McFarland lived after her son Albert moved to Chicago... Its just a little shack of a home.

ProfDru: gotta run

Daviss: I have a survey map already alt

bbenn: I am still searching for my mother, grandparents and cousins in NOLA. The census taker walked in circles and I cannot find the house even though I have the street and house number.

alt: working the 1940 census is much more exciting than the others with all of the new technology that has come into place since the 1930 census was released 10 years ago.

Seventies Soulchild: Did you google earth it bbenn?

Daviss: I pity those who will be looking in the 2010 census with those 10 questions lol

Seventies Soulchild: I'm not even on the 2010 census!

vkn: and the numbers are triple alt with the images being huge

bbenn: Yes, i tried google earth. I know that they are there, I just need to take my time. They are in uptown NOLA off of Broadway.

alt: yeah the enumerator's took some 'circular' routes the next house enumerated is not always 'next door' to the previous entry.

bbenn: that's the problem alt..the cross streets are messing me up... excuse the typo

vkn: not a prob

Seventies Soulchild: Has anyone used the neighborhood maps to look at their EDs? I haven't.. I tried to use the city directory to get an ED and got all messed up lol

Daviss: all typos and mis spellings excused her automatically bbenn lol

bbenn: lol lol

alt: the next house enumerated could be around the corner on another street from the previous house listed LOL

Seventies Soulchild: Same thing happened with the cross street issue for me bbenn

bbenn: I used some of the ED's in the 1930 census...

Daviss: thats what I have used so far bbenn

bbenn: working for me...especially in the rural areas

alt: yeah Seventies Soulchild, ancestry has the neighborhood maps with the names & boundries for Wards within a city... a big plus!!!!

vkn: I am understanding that all indexing will be done by November if all goes to plan

alt: I can believe it vkn

Daviss: I hope so vkn

bbenn: I had a fun day on Wednesday sharing the census information with my husband's Aunt.

Seventies Soulchild: Thanks alt!

bbenn: She had a lot of neighborhood gossip!lol lol

Daviss: I am hoping that I can get mine before our reunion in July

bbenn: At least you have a little time...

alt: oh my big plus from the 1940 census... A granddaughter saw my page with my father and grandaunt.. wanted to know more so I directed her to the family webaites ... again!!!!! I think the genealogy bug has hit her.... Hooray.. She has a son 10 years old, so he is 5 years older than me when the 1940 census was taken.

bbenn: hooray! that's great Alt.

vkn: It takes a minnit for the bug to bite alt

alt: thanks & yeah I think so, the bug has her LOL LOL

bbenn: my granddaugther is also interested...she does know more about the family history then her father because she spends a lot of time with me!

alt: that's wonderful bbenn, you've got a 'protege" LOL

bbenn: i hope so...

Daviss: ok folks I am outa here..take care

Seventies Soulchild: I have to go too. Y'all have a good Easter weekend, for those who celebrate.

alt: looks like it's 'quittin' time'

Seventies Soulchild: yes it is. :}

alt: vkn, I got the lights & chairs

Seventies Soulchild: byeeeeee

alt: bye y'all

bbenn: bye, have a nice weekend.

18 Dec 2002 :: 1 Feb 2009
Copyright © 2002-2008 by AfriGeneas. All rights reserved.
AfriGeneas ~ African Ancestored Genealogy