Try a new Ancestry.com Membership!

Domain Name Registration at GoDaddy.com 120x60

Footnote.com

Note: Please follow the link(s) on the navigation bar below to search additional messages that have been archived to conserve space. If no link is visible, no messages have been archived on this board.

2012-04-05 1940 Census is improving

*LunchBunch

Start: 12:03:18
End: 13:10:43
Chatters: alt, AYWalton, Daviss, HistoryBuff, Selma, Seventies Soulchild, vkn, William

Daviss: hello alt!

alt: hey Daviss, what's up?

Daviss: not too much alt...overslept a tad

William: Hello Family

Daviss: what about you? Heyyy William!!!!!

alt: hello William, is this the "Hollywood" William?

Daviss: Hows is going?

William: Yes it is..The one and only.. LOL

Daviss: lol alt you know it's Will I Am!!!

alt: how are you doing... broken leg & all?

William: Can't be more than one OL

Daviss: lol

William: April Fools on the leg I have missed you all

Daviss: How's Cali doing ya

alt: why would you that to an old man like me? I was worried about you ......boy!!!!! LOL

Daviss: brb William and alt, gonna check on coffee

William: Spring is beautiful.. I'm enjoying my grass while it's still GREEN You didn't read the whole thread am impressed about the caring of our fellow citizens of the world though

alt: naw, guess I didn't .. story of my life, short attention span.

William: So I see you've been successful with the 40's census I am having trouble with it

alt: yeah, I'm having some success... how about you?

William: Can't find anyone in Memphis? auderdale county TN has only 1 page?

alt: oops..... it is rough without an Index.... browseing is a B...... LOL

William: been browsing have no clue where there may have moved to in those 10 years

alt: really 1 page Wow!!!! have you looked on ancestry?

William: yep unty (Memphis) has more Lauderdale county has only 1 page

alt: Lauderdale County has to be more than 1 page.... perhaps it hasn't all been uploaded yet.

Daviss: ok back. I was wondering why I did not smell the coffee, I forgot to plug it in

William: It says Tennessee complete?

alt: what is the ED for Lauderdale County?

William: ED?

alt: or ED's enumeration district

William: Have have to get back into the swing of things here

alt: yes you do!!!!

William: I'll have to check L

alt: Ancestry 1940 census State=TN, County=Lauderdale, Places=????, ED's=??? the 1940 census on ancestry is FREE for the time being

William: But for Memphis.. In the 30's my CARSON"S were living in ED ;) 29-31 Ward 9 CD1

Daviss: go here and plug that in http://stevemorse.org/census/unified.html it will convert to the 1940

Seventies Soulchild: Good afternoon, alt, Daviss, William

alt: keep him striaght Daviss.. the "boy" needs HELP!!!!

Daviss: providing they did not move lol alt!!

alt: hello Seventies Soulchild

William: Hey 70's!

Seventies Soulchild: hey Will!

Daviss: or if you know the address william plug that in I seventies soulchild!!!!!!!

Seventies Soulchild: Daviss!!! ???

Daviss: that should be hi seventies yesssssssssss

Seventies Soulchild: I was intending on looking at the census today, but not going to happen.

alt: I put some photos up on Facebook about the 1940 census.... folks living in the house at that time and the house we were living in.

Daviss: great alt, I will check it out a lil later

alt: and the 1940 census page.

Seventies Soulchild: Are people still having issues downloading pages? Hi HistoryBuff

alt: tried to post on AfriGeneas, but it said 'file size' for the photos was too large.

Daviss: dunno seventies I am just now climbing out of bed and came straight to chat

HistoryBuff: Hey Alt, Daviss, Seventies and William.

Seventies Soulchild: That's not good Daviss.

alt: hello HistoryBuff

Daviss: hi historybuff

HistoryBuff: How is everyone?

Seventies Soulchild: alt most files are too large for Afrigeneas... *sigh*

Daviss: I will feel better as soon as coffee is through brewing

AYWalton: good afternoon, all.

HistoryBuff: Hey AYWalton.

AYWalton: Howdy alt, Daivss, historyBuff, SoulChile, William

Seventies Soulchild: Hi AYWalton

Daviss: Heyyyyy AYWalton!!

HistoryBuff: Okay, Daviss. Hopefully that won't be long now.

Daviss: Did you find your pops yet?

alt: Hi AYWalton

AYWalton: sighh..............not yet. still looking.

Daviss: I am having that problem with my mom so far

AYWalton: found the two neighborhood where they lived. found right up to the next door neighbors.

HistoryBuff: hey vkn.

vkn: Howdy to each and all

alt: hello vkn... how "be's" ya?

AYWalton: so not sure what the deal was. Greetings, vkn!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Daviss: I know she was in Houston but I have no address .. I just put the address for the school she attended and staring from there

alt: y'all see we have the "prodigal" child in the room today .. Will-I-Am LOL LOL

Daviss: Hi vkn!!!

vkn: Check the logs http://www.afrigeneas.com/chat/chatlogs.cgi

alt: okay vkn, thanks

Daviss: thx vkn

vkn: The download of the logs have increased muchly

alt: wonderful,,, even if folks are joining us they can see/read what is going on in Chat.

vkn: Howdy alt ayw daviss historybuff seventies William

alt: are=are not

vkn: Is that william of hollywood

William: Hello vkn

HistoryBuff: Hey Selma.

Seventies Soulchild: Hi vkn, Hi Selma

Daviss: Hi Selma!!

AYWalton: Hello Mizz Selma!!

vkn: Howdy selma

alt: hello Mz Selma

Selma: Good afternoon alt, AY, Daviss, History, 70's, vkn..and William long time no see

William: Hi Selma..long time no see..where u been ? LOL

AYWalton: I hope everyone is having fun with 1940 now that the site works, and now that there are other sites also carrying it.

Seventies Soulchild: Selma is a superstar now William... she was on blog talk radio... :}

William: I know..congratulations

HistoryBuff: :}

Selma: LOL... Hey I am best known as AY's agent..

AYWalton: lol you are a mess, Selma!!

vkn: LOL william my granddaughter also named Valencia is working as a producer with the Dr Phil show

AYWalton: well agent get me some gigs!!! lol

HistoryBuff: :D

Selma: LOL

alt: I've been using Ancestry's search for the 1940 census.. seems to be "quicker" and more user-friendly.

William: Well well.. I know some folks that could use Dr. Phils services LOL

vkn: lol lol lol @ William

Selma: Maybe he should do a show on genealogists..and their "obsessive compulsive disorders".. LOL

Daviss: lol Selma

Selma: Staying up all night reading the 1940 census

alt: whatchu talking bout Selma? LOL LOL

vkn: lol Selma and too true

Seventies Soulchild: I saw that you mentioned that alt. I want to be able to download more than one page at time. But the .zip file download isn't working for me. This is a feature of the Archives page.

William: Now that the 40's census is out, I can't wait to see how many more folks are related to Art!

Selma: LOL

Daviss: lol

Selma: True true william

vkn: I am enjoying using the Morse site and I can save each page via evernote

Seventies Soulchild: lol

William: I know I am..somewhere down the line

AYWalton: I just saw that all states will be up by Friday afternoon on Ancestry. I hope that means that I will be able to see an entire page at a glance as well. the 1940census site downloads the images too large and I have to manipulate the screen.

Seventies Soulchild: OK

alt: and I'm finding them too William

AYWalton: I have to watch the evernote tutorial yet again. lol

William: I saw a couple of post

Daviss: I was glad to see that Okla is up and now browsing to find my daughters peeps

vkn: I see all of my childhood playmates and all the neighbors

AYWalton: on Ancestry Daviss?

alt: wonderful Daviss

William: I'll have to check that morse site more closely.. so far nothing

Daviss: yes AYwalton

Seventies Soulchild: I can't find my folks in OK Daviss, though I have their address from the city directories

AYWalton: how about Arkansas?

Seventies Soulchild: I am wondering if they were missed in the census.

AYWalton: perhaps then I can switch out of the 1940 census site and move on.

Daviss: I don't see any yet so I am thinking they have moved

alt: ain't that a 'trip" vkn.... I'm doing the virtual memory lane thing with th e1940 census too.

Seventies Soulchild: Well at least y'all still remember. :)

vkn: Of interest AYW are the notes in the margins indicating who answered the questionnaire

Daviss: its the x with a circle vkn

Seventies Soulchild: So that's what that is for.

alt: watch it Seventies Soulchild!!!!!! LOL

Seventies Soulchild: That was supposed to be a compliment! lol

Selma: So know we can know who got all the info wrong.. LOL

William: LOL 70's

vkn: lol

Daviss: the one answering the questions vkn is circled with an x

AYWalton: I have not seen many notes in the margins.

vkn: yes daviss

Seventies Soulchild: Outside of OK, Daviss have you looked an any other census records that show this?

William: I see nothing has changed...everyone still getting their jokes on

Daviss: yes seventies

Seventies Soulchild: Of course... lol

William: I love it!

Daviss: That also is part of the enumerator instructions

vkn: William you taught us how to do that

AYWalton: ahhh ok. Since I am so busy still looking for my grandparents and father, I have not had a chance yet to truly enjoy the details of the census.

Seventies Soulchild: In 1-13 &1-14 in Adams Co. MS I didn't see that for many of the pages I looked at. Interesting.

alt: only handwritten thing I see in the margins are the Street names & of course the encircled x's.

Seventies Soulchild: I had to look at the questions and look at the piece on the bottom of the page.

AYWalton: maybe once I breeze through ancestry site I will be happier.

Seventies Soulchild: page

Daviss: the piece at the bottom changes page by page

Seventies Soulchild: I think I"m going to try that too AYWalton

Daviss: the sup answers

AYWalton: then, I will appreciate what I see much better. lol

alt: try it you'll like it (ancestry) LOL LOL

Seventies Soulchild: I'm also going to look at St. Louis, MS and Elizabeth City, NC

Selma: The folks at Archives dot gov..must be going nuts..if folks prefer the Ancestry site

AYWalton: well, they ticked off a lot of folks with their massive failure!

Seventies Soulchild: IF the downloading of a complete .zip file of the ED worked, I wouldn't have an issue. Well that was to be expected AYWalton...

William: BRB

Selma: Jeez you folks don't cut any slack.. LOL

AYWalton: I am sure they will still get lots of users, now with the extra servers, but the demand will also fall once folks go to Ancestry and Heritage and other sites.

alt: my cousin in Indianapolis found himself and his familt... Taht's the 1st city of any size I've looked at ... many, many ED's .. whew!!!!

vkn: lol @ Selma

Seventies Soulchild: Seriously, I've been working for the gov't most of my life and that's how it is. Any time you roll something out there are bound to be glitches.

AYWalton: perhaps so, but they had already assured the public and the press that their images were in a cloud and it would not crash. Kind of like the Titanic that could not sink! lol

Selma: I do think they should have been better prepared..

Daviss: should be less of a prob if you know the address

AYWalton: but we know not to trust the gov't, SoulChile. lol

Seventies Soulchild: That's another place I wanted to search alt, but that is exactly what I am afraid of a million EDs in one city.

alt: I think Ancestry has the advantage of putting up massive databases before and enhancing the search capabilites of each.

Seventies Soulchild: lol now see you've twisted my comment AYWalton. lol

AYWalton: and they have the massive indexing going on.

Seventies Soulchild: Daviss, I don't know the address.. lol I barely know these people. I'm looking for people who left Mississippi and just 'disappeared'. At least to me.

Daviss: I can relate to that Seventies..that is my problem also and noone to ask

AYWalton: but Archives.com, and Inflection--the company that owns them have probably a lot to get over with their assurances of no crashing. And Ancestry is gloating, I am sure.

Seventies Soulchild: My uncle Sonny helped me out with some contact info about his cousin who lives in Indy, but they barely knew their father again, these multiple children and marriages.

Selma: I am sure they broke out the Bubbley

AYWalton: yes at Ancestry, you are probably right, Selma.

vkn: and archives.com is a new kid n the block

alt: if you have a map of the city and some knowledge of how & where the different wards are located then cities are too hard to naviagte for ED's.

Seventies Soulchild: Money talks, bs walks.. the archives was not technically prepared for this.

AYWalton: and come Friday, once my places are uploaded, archives.com won't see me.

Selma: Oh jeez..

Daviss: ;) :(

AYWalton: well I use Ancestry.com and their database is easy to work with.

Seventies Soulchild: lol Don't underestimate the power of "FREE" lol

Selma: True..true

AYWalton: true, but if I can't even see an entire page, and I can with a site that I already have---then hey---I'm gone.

Seventies Soulchild: I think we scared William off.. lol

AYWalton: can't see the entire page with Ancestry.com sorry I mean to say Archives.com I can with Ancestry.

vkn: Ancestry.com seems to return more transcription errors

AYWalton: for indexes yes--- they go off shore for that.

alt: Ancestry is 'milking' their FREE access to the 1940 census to the MAX as a marketing tool, they'll probably get lots of new subscribers from that ploy.

Seventies Soulchild: I agree, vkn. In the early days I remember making LOTS of corrections.

AYWalton: but US based folks are indexing 1940. you might be right, alt.

Daviss: brb

AYWalton: for their other collections they use folks in Pakistan/Indian/Bangladesh, who don't know many names and they have no idea that what looks like "Casan is really Cesar" as they are not familiar with that as a typical name.

Seventies Soulchild: D@man if Mississippi is still missing from Ancestry!

AYWalton: what was that SoulChile?

Seventies Soulchild: See I was under the impression that Mormons were doing the transcription. Mississippi is missing from the list of states on the Ancestry 1940 census\

AYWalton: they used volunteers in the Utah state prison for some of their collections, but these days they are done off shore. where did you find the list SoulChile?

Seventies Soulchild: If you click on the link that says find 1940 census here, after you click on the 1940 census icon.

Daviss: ark is up I think

HistoryBuff: Sorry folks gotta run, Bye.

Seventies Soulchild: http://search.ancestry.com/search/db.aspx?dbid=2442 bye HistoryBuff

AYWalton: thanks SoulChile

Daviss: also says Ms Soulchild

AYWalton: don't see it t here, Daviss

Seventies Soulchild: what did I say?

alt: http://search.ancestry.com/search/db.aspx?dbid=2442

Seventies Soulchild: I don't see it. I'm looking at a drop down menu type of search

Daviss: 4th one aywalton

alt: Oops, too late, but they have the lsit of what states are "up"

AYWalton: California is the 4th one on what I see. Right after Arizona

alt: Arkansas & Mississippi aren't there yet, right?

Daviss: whoa

Seventies Soulchild: Don't know about AR, but not MS I'm looking a OK 51-47a and see a sizable number of blacks from surrounding states.

AYWalton: not there yet, alt. I like being able to click easily from one page to the next, seeing the entier page at a glance. Helps me speed through faster!

Daviss: well not sure whats happening but in my drop down I see ark and also ms

alt: right AYWalton.. sorry bout that :(

AYWalton: me too, alt, but I know---I must exercise patience!

Daviss: and american samoa

Seventies Soulchild: that is a good feature AYWalton. load times are rather quick.

AYWalton: and a full page at a glance helps save time.

Seventies Soulchild: lol Daviss, yesterday alt to me to have patience grasshopper.. lol

AYWalton: lol good advice.

Seventies Soulchild: I have to go, papers to look at. Talk to you all Friday? Who will be on WDYTYA?

AYWalton: not sure who is on. have not seen.

Daviss: 3,554,066 Arkansas, County Marriages Index, 1837-1957

alt: hey William, no coffe breaks allowed LOL

Seventies Soulchild: alt, William has left the building... lol

Daviss: oops

vkn: Is that new daviss

Daviss: posted the wrong one

vkn: oh ok

AYWalton: has anyone noticed how many "famous" people folks are looking up on 1940 census? I posted something yesterday honoring Dr. King as it was the anniversary of his death.

Seventies Soulchild: alrighty then gonna run. Told my boys we'd go birthday shopping tomorrow. It will be a long evening.

alt: yeah AYWalton and they've been missing ME LOL LOL

Seventies Soulchild: lol lol lol BYE! :}

AYWalton: Within minutes one of my followers posted him on twitter from the 1940 census. lol, I hear ya alt!

Selma: I wonder how many folks are showing up..when they claim they shouldn't be there, cause they lied about their age

alt: check out my FB photos 1940 Census page & the folks living in the household in 1940. & photo of the house.

Selma: Folks..I gotta run..have a great day..see you tonight at Blog Talk radio

AYWalton: well I better run as well. Have a great day folks.

alt: hehehehehe okay ... bye ya'll

vkn: Sounds like an interesting guest on the bernice show Okies and bye to y'all

alt: yes, it does vkn. and I'm looking forward to her show next week as well OH & Mich record resources.

William: I'm back

vkn: whew hard to keep up

alt: we didn't miss you LOL

vkn: lol lol lol

William: That Morse site is nice..but It'll take some getting used to.

vkn: Very nice I like it

alt: genealogy.. William, you knew the job was dangerous when you took it

William: I plugged in the info and didn't get what I wanted LOL

alt: oh my

William: maybe I'm reading the 30 census wrong and in putting the incorrect info

alt: maybe, just maybe :|

vkn: Get an address CHEERS !!!

alt: hey, my turn to go .. laters... good seeing you William

William: Bye

alt: DAviss, you got the chairs & lights?

Daviss: yes

William: I'll be Black

alt: okay, bye y'all

William: er Daviss I'll be on my way.. Good to be back

Daviss: william good luck

William: Thanks

18 Dec 2002 :: 1 Feb 2009
Copyright © 2002-2008 by AfriGeneas. All rights reserved.
AfriGeneas ~ African Ancestored Genealogy