Try a new Ancestry.com Membership!

Domain Name Registration at GoDaddy.com 120x60

Footnote.com

Note: Please follow the link(s) on the navigation bar below to search additional messages that have been archived to conserve space. If no link is visible, no messages have been archived on this board.

2012-04-04 1940 Finding Getting Better

*LunchBunch

Start: 12:04:48
End: 12:55:07
Chatters: alt, Chaise, Daviss, HistoryBuff, Selma, Seventies Soulchild, yatah

Seventies Soulchild: Hello alt. How are you doing?

alt: hello Ms. Seventies Soulchild ... Happy Birthday to your sons!!!!

Seventies Soulchild: Hello Chaise

Chaise: Hello, all

Seventies Soulchild: Thank you!

alt: Hello Chaise,,, how are you doing today? You too Seventies Soulchild?

Chaise: I'm doing well, thank you.

Seventies Soulchild: Doing well alt. Chaise is this your first time in Afrigeneas Chat?

alt: happy to hear so many folks are having positive experiences searching the 1940 census.

Chaise: No, I've been here lots of times.

Seventies Soulchild: ok

alt: so, give us an update on how your research is going Chaise

Seventies Soulchild: Yes, so far so good with my Mississippi people alt. Not so much on the OK and AL census

alt: patience.... grasshopper LOL LOL LOL

Seventies Soulchild: I know.. lol

Chaise: I found a few leads on my great-grandfather, found out he had some half-siblings.

Seventies Soulchild: That's good news Chaise.

alt: hello Daviss.... how goes it?

Seventies Soulchild: Hello Daviss

Chaise: hello, Daviss.

Daviss: hello alt, Chaise and seventies!!! Heyy Chaise, long time no see!!!

Seventies Soulchild: Maybe I'm hitting my senior years early, but I sure want to go home and have a siesta right about now.. lol

Daviss: how

alt: maybe you should only burn the candle from one end Seventies Soulchild LOL LOL

Seventies Soulchild: come on two fingers you can do it! lol

Daviss: oops crazy keyboard lol I know, its this one eye now lol

Seventies Soulchild: I should I was up until about midnight last night

Daviss: How's your research going Chaise?

Chaise: I'm making a lot of progress.

Seventies Soulchild: Chaise where is your area of research?

Daviss: good!!!

Chaise: Virginia, Louisiana, Tennessee

Seventies Soulchild: ok

Daviss: all three states have some good resourses

Seventies Soulchild: Yes they do. I still haven't looked at Blount Co., TN as of yet.

alt: What are your particular areas in each State Chaise?

Seventies Soulchild: I should be looking now while I have a break.

Chaise: Amelia County, VA, Caddo Parish, LA and Dickson County, TN.

Seventies Soulchild: oh shoot Daviss, Caddo Parish, LA is where you were looking for Mariah for a minute, right?

alt: okay Chaise, I 'dabble" a little in Amelia Co., VA.

Daviss: Caddo yes I was lol 30 miles away Chaise do you have any Lesters in Caddo

alt: mostly with FPOC who left Amelia Co., VA for Ohio in the early to mid 1800's.

Chaise: No Lesters, McNeil and Simpson are the names I've been searching for.

Seventies Soulchild: Quick question, y'all. Would a town doctor stand out more on the census than say a farmer or construction worker?

Daviss: lol speaking of McNeils, I talked to one last night who lives in Cali stand out?

Seventies Soulchild: I need to touch base with Lynette W. who has been in touch with me about my Barnes.

alt: could be Seventies Soulchild, with the value of home owned & education level as just 2 fields to key on.

Seventies Soulchild: For example, like would the be placed in a special page in the neighborhood, outside of their residence. Thanks alt. I'll keep an eye out for that on this 1940 census

Daviss: I still am not understanding the question pertaing to the census

alt: and they would certainly be one of a few in a given are with the Occupation of "physician/doctor" on the census and in city directories.

Seventies Soulchild: The issue is that I can't find the Dr. B.E. Washington in 1930 in Blount Co. TN. But he shows up in Nashville while attending Meharry I don't think that Alcoa, TN had a city directory.. lol It was a company town at that time. A little podunk.. lol

Daviss: what company

Seventies Soulchild: Alcoa

alt: isn't that where the Alcoa Aluminum (sp) plant was located in TN?

Seventies Soulchild: Yes alt.

Daviss: aluminum

Seventies Soulchild: Back in the old days they were company towns...

alt: was he a company Dr. ?????

Chaise: I've read about those towns.

Seventies Soulchild: From what I gathered at one point yes. But he did end up treating almost exclusively the African-Americans of that area.

alt: unusual for an AA to be a company Dr., but who knows, stranger things have happened.

Seventies Soulchild: True alt.

Daviss: hi HB!

Seventies Soulchild: I just want to find the man after 1920... lol

alt: hello HistoryBuff, how goes it?

Chaise: hello, HistoryBuff

Seventies Soulchild: Hi HistoryBuff

HistoryBuff: Hey Davis, Alt, Seventies and Chaise.

alt: did he die in TN? are there TN vital records online?

Seventies Soulchild: Yes he did die in TN. He didn't have a SSDI... we touched on that yesterday. Memphis, TN/Shelby Co. are all that I have been able to locate.

alt: an AA doctor.. might try names searches in AA newspapers Seventies Soulchild

HistoryBuff: Yes, he may have had an adv.

Seventies Soulchild: That sounds like a good idea. I did find him in the Meharry alum documents.

HistoryBuff: Have you search for the Dr. in city directories?

Seventies Soulchild: I don't think Alcoa had a city directory. it was a very small town.

alt: so with no SSN.. does this mean he could have died prior to the 1930's when SS came into existence? and/or would a DR. have SS?

Seventies Soulchild: No he died in the 1960's, but no beneficiary.

Daviss: well I finally found someone on the 40 census..My paternal grandparents. my dad was listed as abs. and was away as a forester at a CCC camp

Seventies Soulchild: yay! Daviss!

Daviss: ;)

Seventies Soulchild: You know I will get back with you on my uncle.

alt: is that right Daviss .. wonderful!!!!!!

Chaise: great news, Daviss.

HistoryBuff: Kudos Daviss!

Seventies Soulchild: Now your dad served in WW II, right?

Daviss: oh yeah

alt: CCC camps are another interesting resource... Tim Pinnick has done some research on AA CCC camps.

Seventies Soulchild: Did you find his service record online? Or do you have a copy at home?

HistoryBuff: Very nice to hear that Alt.

Daviss: got that seventies

Seventies Soulchild: AA CCC camps all over or just in Kentucky, VA, TN?

Daviss: wish I knew which one

alt: one interesting question on the 1940 census... was the individual employed in a WPA project.....

Seventies Soulchild: That's another thing I'd been searching online for information about. Just anything. Especially what projects and what cities they were in.

alt: I think all over Seventies Soulchild.. at least I know there was one in Ohio also.

Seventies Soulchild: ok So I had another uncle who was listed on his WW II draft card as working for the WPA in Detroit.

alt: WPA was nationwide and many, many projects Seventies Soulchild .. In all fields, including the "Art's" ... slave narratives was a WPA project.

Chaise: My great-grandfather was listed as working for the WPA on his draft card too.

Seventies Soulchild: Yes, I was trying to narrow down what projects were conducted in Detroit. Looks like mostly art from the resources I could find online.

alt: would a google on "WPA Projects+Detroit" do you any good Seventies Soulchild?

HistoryBuff: Hey Yatah.

alt: hello yatah

yatah: hi all

Seventies Soulchild: I googled that and came across a page which had some good information. hi yatah

alt: or maybe WPA in Michigan

Seventies Soulchild: Googled that too.. :}

Daviss: durnit , I have to run. I need to get car inspected so I can get my tags.. lol they are late by about 4 days

alt: well, you're ahead of me Seventies Soulchild

Daviss: hi yatah

Seventies Soulchild: I did all kinds of google searches!

yatah: hi daviss

alt: OOps, don't get a ticket Daviss

Seventies Soulchild: ooh ok bye Daviss

Daviss: and bye all

Seventies Soulchild: Here is Benj Washington. A great story chock full of info.http://tinyurl.com/7s258hn

alt: folsk must be too busy searching the census to join in chat LOL LOL

Seventies Soulchild: of course! lol

HistoryBuff: Hey Selma

Seventies Soulchild: Hey Selma

alt: ah so, there is Mz Selma... Hello Lady, how goes it?

Selma: Good afternoon alt, chaise, History, seventies and yatah

Chaise: Yes, I'm trying to read through some records right now. Hello, Selma.

Seventies Soulchild: What I love about this clipping is that someone took the time to clarify the relationship of the niece on here.

alt: bookmarked it to read later Seventies Soulchild thanks

Seventies Soulchild: YW and you can zoom out so you can see it full screen alt.

HistoryBuff: Nice Seventies, you found somtehing.

Selma: Ok alt..found my election stuff..will send details later..and no FB could not vote in VA..even if they had land, which was one of the requirements

Seventies Soulchild: My cousin Wendy sent this to me.

alt: okay Seventies Soulchild

HistoryBuff: Good job Cousin Wendy!

Seventies Soulchild: Black Codes sounds like Selma

alt: a new pet peeve of mine ...... ancestral locations in Africa thru DNA testing.... I'll hold that one for a later day LOL LOL lOL

yatah: how i can find www address of death record ?

Seventies Soulchild: oops if you know like I know, that is usually off base, alt.

alt: okay Selma, looking forward to another 'package' LOL LOL

Selma: What happened to Daviss? was she in the room when I came in? LOL

Seventies Soulchild: the www address??

alt: had to do something for/with her car registration Selma

yatah: yea the www address if you know where i can find death record ?

Selma: Oh..that is important..real life stuff takes precedence..LOL

Seventies Soulchild: oh yes considering that she is a bit late on that.. her words.. lol

HistoryBuff: Indeed :}

alt: yep, and she is already late Selma LOL lOL

Selma: Tsk, tsk, tsk.. Yatah..not all death records are available on line..what state are you looking for and what time frame

Seventies Soulchild: I need to contact Sadonya on 23andme

alt: which reminds me.. I have to get away from the census stuff and do our taxes. (Fed & State)

Selma: Good idea alt..you don't want the TAX man coming for you and Anita..Anita would never forgive you

yatah: oh ok because i need find death record of my ggg parents and luther too

alt: www.vitalrec.com yatah .. I think this will help you find what is available at the State levels

yatah: thanks

HistoryBuff: You're in good company, Alt.

alt: okay .... cell mate LOL lOL LOL

HistoryBuff: Gotta run. Bye all.

Selma: Where is Mizz AY...my client

alt: Chaise.. what are your Amelia Co., VA surnames?

Chaise: Booker

alt: no Selma that was for HistoryBuff and her tax situation LOL

Selma: I know alt..I did my Taxes yesterday

alt: okay Chaise, I'm not familiar with Booker & Amelia co., VA

Selma: What are the first names in Amelia with the Bookers Chaise

alt: I know that was a relief Selma, I'd almost as soon 'take a whupping' as do taxes LOL LOL

yatah: thomas same as luther sound ?

Chaise: Peyton Booker is the person I've been searching most.

Selma: What are his time frames in VA Chaise?

Seventies Soulchild: ok good people.. I'm going to head out too. the man is going to crack the whip on me momentarily. *sigh*

yatah: i see luther quiller died in nj ?

Seventies Soulchild: Back to the grind. Later y'all

yatah: i cant open one dang

alt: you let someone crack on whip on you Seventies Soulchild ... NO!!!!!! Oops, too late for that jab LOL lOL

Chaise: around 1870 to 1880 is about where I've found records. He was born in about 1828.

Selma: Just checking Chaise..will look around and see what I see

alt: okay good people, I gotta get busy on some 'real life' stuff ...... laters.

Selma: I have to run too folks..have a great day

18 Dec 2002 :: 1 Feb 2009
Copyright © 2002-2008 by AfriGeneas. All rights reserved.
AfriGeneas ~ African Ancestored Genealogy