Try a new Ancestry.com Membership!

Domain Name Registration at GoDaddy.com 120x60

Footnote.com

Note: Please follow the link(s) on the navigation bar below to search additional messages that have been archived to conserve space. If no link is visible, no messages have been archived on this board.

2012-04-03 1940 Census Plus/Minus

*LunchBunch

Start: 12:02:33
End: 13:06:40
Chatters: alt, AYWalton, bbenn, Daviss, HistoryBuff, Selma, Seventies Soulchild, vkn

bbenn: Hi Alt!

alt: hello bbenn, how are ya doing today?

bbenn: Just checking in for a few minutes...need to head out and vote. By the way, I have been saying that for the last 2 hours:}

alt: oh yes, please vote... saw you NARA photos from yesterday... very nice!!!!

bbenn: Thanks...the big day was not the happiest day for the folks at the Archives!

alt: may I call you with some suggessted questions for your show with Derek Davey? I guess the 'hits' were over-whelming, to say the least

bbenn: I did discover in the 1940 census this morning that answered a DNA mystery for me and my child. I know how she is connected with a family in Louisiana ... Yes, please call with questions for Derek. He also sent me some questions...

alt: wonderful on your find.... connecting those dots with the paper trail is GREAT!!!!

bbenn: The paper trail is sooo important! I almost gave up on the DNA stuff because folks just do not have enough family information. One surname will not work for me...

alt: I think I've met Derek before @ an OGS conference, not sure.

bbenn: hi 70's

Seventies Soulchild: hi alt and bbenn

alt: hello Seventies Soulchild

bbenn: What's new 70's?

Seventies Soulchild: Browsing through the Wilkinson County census records for 1940. Seeing a lot of surnames familiar to m.e

alt: fun, huh Seventies Soulchild?

bbenn: Alt, your show is still getting a lot of hits!

alt: hello Daviss

bbenn: Hi Daviss

Daviss: hello there alt, bbenne and seventies!!

Seventies Soulchild: Hi Daviss

alt: wonderful bbenn, thanks again for allowing me the opportunity to "expound" LOL LOL

Daviss: lol and we were asking just the other day for a part 2

bbenn: lol lol You are a star in cyber space! Your grandchildren will love hearing your voice over the airwaves 100 years from now...

alt: oh my, is that right.

bbenn: Alt, are you ready for Part 2?

Seventies Soulchild: Remember we're only talking about the 1940 census

bbenn: ok - only 1940 censuslol

alt: if you are bbenn.... let's see how Derek does... I do have a lot of record sets for FPOC, UGRR, AME fro Ohio, Indiana & Mich

bbenn: ok, I had a conversation and it was actually mentioned yesterday about disclosing personal information from the 1940 for living folks and concerns that may open individuals up for identity theft! Your thoughts?

alt: so anything 'revealing' in your 1940 searches... anyone?

Daviss: its already out there bbenn ss numbers on the DC'c etc

bbenn: Yes, that was the answer provided at the Archives on yesterday, but, it was still a concern...actually Reginald Washington asked the question.

alt: I don't see a problem with the 1940 info bbenn, it's already in the public domain and there are many, many more recent records that folks should be worried about for identity theft, etc.

Daviss: oh yeah its always been a concern. They took

bbenn: Personal information may include number of children..some kids were given to relatives and friends after the 1940 census. Now this information is public...family members are alive and ashamed to explain...

Daviss: oops they took lots of records

alt: and the 72 year limit has it's affect.... how many folk on the 1940 census are stil living.... I'm 78 and barely hanging on LOL

AYWalton: good afternoon, all.

alt: hello AYWalton, G'Day to ya.

AYWalton: Howdy alt, bbenn, Daviss, SoulChile! Hope you are all well.

bbenn: Lot's of folks are still hanging in there lol lol lol lol Even you alt lol lol

Seventies Soulchild: Hi AYWalton

bbenn: Hi aywalton! Hello vkn

Seventies Soulchild: hi vkn

alt: and I don't think the 1940 census will reveal anything that can hurt me... privately or personally.

AYWalton: greetings, vkn!!!!!!!!!!!11

alt: hello vkn

vkn: hey hay and howdy good and dear people

bbenn: Goof - you were just a baby lol lol lol Good - excuse the typo!

vkn: Saw your picture ayw YEAH!!! How did the Nterview go ???

alt: yep. a 5 y/o as of my last b'day when the census was taken.. turned 6 y/o 1 month later.

AYWalton: I think the issue of privacy is valid, but the fear of the census being the culprit is invalid.

Daviss: hi AYWalton and vkn!

AYWalton: things went well, it's just that the census didn't, vkn. lol they were here for 3 hours.

alt: have y'all been using Ancestry.com ...FamilySearch, etc. for viewinf images?

AYWalton: taking pictures and video. Had the census worked there would have also been video footage as well. Oh well.

vkn: bbenn seventies daviss

AYWalton: none of my states are up yet, alt. but I hear Tennessee is coming today. so I will look for distant cousins in Memphis.

alt: okay AYWalton, Tennessee was up yesterday on Ancestry. and TX, right Daviss LOL

AYWalton: otherwise, just do my thing and wait. Archives.com or their folks in silicon valley should have some heads rolling today. After all the hype. I bet Ancestry is gloating a little big, saying (uh huh---told ya we could do this!)

Seventies Soulchild: brb talking with several co-workers.

Daviss: well alt it was up for a min and just now went down :{

AYWalton: I get pages for a hot second and then it crashes! Very very annoying!

bbenn: I agree AYWALTON - heads should start rolling lol lol

alt: I'm having a "ball' with Ohio & Indiana records on the 1940 Census

AYWalton: go ahead and rub it in, alt. lol I ain't having a ball anywhere. a kind soul---complete stranger found my mother in Little Rock. Wherever he lives---it works for him.

bbenn: AYWALTON - I am also having a ball with Louisiana. I found some folks on the very first page of the census..

AYWalton: and Nadasue is trying to find my folks in southern Arkansas---the Bass line. lucky you. at least folks on Twitter are helping each other.

alt: a surprise to me was how many "neighbors" answered for folk who weren't home when the enumerator came around.

AYWalton: us poor souls with no images need them.

bbenn: CBS reported that they tried for 8 hours to get on and nothing came up!

vkn: AYW I have a first cousin who is married to a BASS but he stems from Mississippi

bbenn: Yes, alt, I noticed that on the census page - questions answered by neighbors..

alt: search by ED's sure makes you appreciate the value of indexed records and a good search feature(s)

Seventies Soulchild: Back... there was a terrible accident this morning and two people were killed. the car they were in was essentially crushed.

bbenn: I will volunteer to index after I find my folks! Sorry, I put in a lot of volunteer hours and just need to concentrate on my folks right now!

alt: I got lucky.. I was on page 3 of the ED where my family was enumerated...

Seventies Soulchild: This is what I was just talking about. sad.

vkn: so sad seventies

bbenn: very sad!

AYWalton: exactly-----if I can find my own people I will have more enthusiasm by joining the massive indexing effort. sorry to hear about that accident, SoulChile.

alt: did you know the family(s) Seventies Soulchild, not that it matters, still a tragedy

Seventies Soulchild: no I didn't, but they worked here on base a mother and daughter.

alt: hello HistoryBuff

AYWalton: hello HistoryBuff!

vkn: howdy history

bbenn: hi historybuff!

HistoryBuff: Hey Alt, AYWalton, BBenn, Daviss Seventies and Vkn.

alt: oh my Seventies Soulchild, that's still close... basically co-workers

Seventies Soulchild: yes, its just tragic.

alt: I saw in the Indiana records where neighbors reponded and they stated my folks were 'white' LOL LOL .. soomething going on there LOL LOL

Seventies Soulchild: really alt? lol

alt: or, at least that is what the enumerator put in the race/color column "W"

Seventies Soulchild: The enumerator was pencil whipping...

bbenn: alt, I found a similar entry for my folks...they certainly did not look at all white

alt: could well be Seventies Soulchild

vkn: What they meant alt was "nelly bout" or "near bout"

Seventies Soulchild: lol in Mississippi all the black people were appropriately marked, at least mine were.

alt: Oh vkn... a neighbor of my folk in Indiana Percy Julian and his parents.... the father was born in Alabama.

AYWalton: oh that's so cool One of my friends on FB,l used to date Percy Julian's daughter. She I understand is not in good health.

vkn: ahhhhhhh

Seventies Soulchild: I'm looking through the Wilkinson County, MS ED 79 finding a lot of familiar surnames.

alt: that's what is fun Seventies Soulchild, I've been able to mentally reconstruct the neighborhood of who & what families were living nearby.

Seventies Soulchild: Some of what I'm looking at and for are Scott, Henyard, Stewart (a close family friend of my maternal family), O'Neal (as in Alexander :}) Hays That sounds like fun.

alt: especially the families of my childhood friends.... you can see the 'great migration' in action from the birthplace of many of their parents/grandparents, etc.

Seventies Soulchild: So many people came back and forth between Wilkinson Co. and Adams Co. Right alt, that's what I was looking forward to. Post that photo of you and your school friends on your FB page. I think that is the cutest photo!

bbenn: alt, you can probably write a book about your neighbors and friends..first hand experience..:}

alt: so true bbenn

Seventies Soulchild: I have an aunt whom they refer to as Duckey who married a John Hardin from Wilkinson Co. I have not been able to find them, him specifically on any of the census records. She would've shown up long before 1940.

alt: good idea re: Facebook Seventies Soulchild.. all of those guys are on the 1940 census and only 2 of us are still living.

bbenn: I remember handing my mother the 1920 census and she had the gossip on the entire neighborhood and, she was only 6 years old. Now, I wonder where she got that information from....lol lol lol

AYWalton: that is too funny, bbenn.

alt: that's great bbenn

AYWalton: I recall reading some of the slave narratives to my mother that were done in Little Rock. she knew some of those folks.

Seventies Soulchild: lol bbenn

vkn: lol bbenn

AYWalton: she was so funny.

bbenn: Gee - I wonder what my granddaughter will say about me and the neighborhood when the 2010 census is released...

alt: that's another good one AYWalton .. the 27 or so 1937 slave narrative on the Ohio Historical Society website.. they are all alive and on the 1940 census for clark county, Ohio.

AYWalton: if you have a relationship with the neighbors, she will have a lot to say!

Seventies Soulchild: I downloaded the entire Slave Narrative collection from the Gutenberg Library this past weekend. I got tired of waiting for my college library to get the missing copies I wanted.

AYWalton: how cool, alt they are also on Ancestry. and on the CD of course if you have it.

bbenn: Yes, especially the neighbor who brings her cookies!

Seventies Soulchild: I was so thrilled to find my grandparents married in 1940, but my aunt who was born in 1939 wasn't on it.

alt: the 1940 census and the slave narratives show us how close, or not far removed fro slavery 1940 actuall was.

AYWalton: I see another option that might be a good source for the 1940 census. My heritage---which I think is British, will house the 1940 US Census. Several folks are tweeting about it. I see a useful link.

bbenn: Is the information already available on my heritage?

Seventies Soulchild: yes, I agree.

AYWalton: http://www.myheritage.com/1940census

alt: is anything even "partly" indexed yet? on any site, or are all to be searched by ED's?

AYWalton: Looks like at midnight on Monday (Sunday night to us) NARA began uploading the census to other commercial entities, so as they get them digitized they are appearing online.

bbenn: Nice chattting with everyone! Have a wonderful afternoon checking the 1940 census - bye

AYWalton: so with time we will see them and with an alternative to archives.gov take care bbenn

alt: go vote bbenn LOL

bbenn: going right now lol lol lol

AYWalton: maybe Delaware, but even so, that will have to go through some kind of quality control to check it out, I think, alt.

Seventies Soulchild: Hi Selma

HistoryBuff: Hey Selma

alt: hello Mz Selma... da 'other' chat celebrity LOL LOL

Seventies Soulchild: Hello does anyone know if or when Puerto Rico had a census before 1940?

Selma: Sorry on the phone Ok..Hi everyone Loved your Blog Post AY...you still made the paper.. LOL

alt: not sure Seventies Soulchild, but I would think so .. before 1930.. try other census years prior to 1940

AYWalton: yes they have some old records. Fold3 even has slave records from PR. Check NARA to see if they included the Territories in earliers years and which years. I suspect that they did include the Territories. lol yes looks like I did, Selma! what a frustrating day, though.

Selma: What is my heritage?

AYWalton: still can't do much with the records on Archives.gov another site, Selma. I don't know who owns it. I always thought it was British. And the use of the site is free, Selma.

Selma: I just made it a favorite place AY..thanks..

alt: y'all are aware of Ancestry.com 1940 census being FREE until 2013, right?

Selma: I haven't looked at anything yet..had to get my Taxes done today..now I can think, after I take a NAP

HistoryBuff: lol Selma viss

AYWalton: yes, alt. then all will be hidden.

HistoryBuff: wb Daviss

AYWalton: they are looking for volunteer to help index.

alt: that's where I got the image I posted to Facbook of my 1940 census record.

AYWalton: not from Archives.gov, alt?

alt: nope, I got my image from Ancestry.com

HistoryBuff: Time for me to sign off. Until next time good folks.-Bye

AYWalton: take care, HistoryBuff I should run as well, folks. Have a good one!

Seventies Soulchild: I'm going to also have to find the ED for my family in Alabama. I will find my father on the census there. So I'ma just head out.... I'll see you all tonight in chat! Daviss keep me abreast on what you find in Texas.

Selma: Did you find anyone Daviss?

Daviss: no

alt: be patient Daviss ... tomorrow LOL

Daviss: :{

Selma: We can't have a replay of Mariah..you are going to find them...just have Patience.. LOL

Daviss: the images came up for about a min and crashed on Ancestry

alt: is that right Daviss ... wow!!!!

Selma: Jeez..everyone and their mother must be looking but they should have anticipated this..I think

Daviss: at least the ones in Texas 37 million hits yesterday in 5 hrs Selma I think they said at log on it was around 22 mil

Selma: Well H%$ll they been abvertising it for months..so they should have been prepared..thats what I think

alt: in the meantim'e I can give you some Ohio names to search for Daviss LOL lOL

Selma: LOL

Daviss: gee thanks alt

Selma: Thats not nice alt.. LOL

Daviss: I took to my bed yesterday and think I will do the same today

alt: well, I was just trying to help Daviss Selma.... give her some practice.

Selma: Personally I think Ancestry had it in for Archives.gov

Daviss: Ancestry was probably gloating

Selma: That is an understatement Daviss... LOL

alt: no doubt & FamilySearch too

Daviss: lol I think Ancestry will have the 40 census for free for only two weeks

Selma: I thought it was free until 2013

alt: it is FREE until 2013

Daviss: no I think they said April 13th hmmm I didnt see that interesting since they will be indexing them

Selma: Folks I have to run..hopefully will see you all this evening..have a great day and keep searching

alt: bye

Daviss: me too

alt: guess I'll split too

Daviss: see ya alt and vkn

18 Dec 2002 :: 1 Feb 2009
Copyright © 2002-2008 by AfriGeneas. All rights reserved.
AfriGeneas ~ African Ancestored Genealogy