Try a new Ancestry.com Membership!

Domain Name Registration at GoDaddy.com 120x60

Footnote.com

Note: Please follow the link(s) on the navigation bar below to search additional messages that have been archived to conserve space. If no link is visible, no messages have been archived on this board.

2010-05-28

* LunchBunch

Start: 12:06:57
End: 13:29:49
Chatters: alt, AmosNY, AYWalton, Ingrid_Doweary, khathu, Professordru, Selma, Seventies Soulchild, vicky, vkn

vicky: hello alt!

alt: Hello vicky, reading yesterday's log... how you & da glasses?

vicky: how's it going lol going good A woman's gotta do what a woman's gotta do lol

alt: I see LOL going great for me, now that I remembered this is Friday & not Saturday.

vicky: I hear ya alt! I am a little turned around today my self

alt: PHX lost a tough one last night, huh>

vicky: oh yes! I was so figitity those last few minutes I thought I was gonna take off lol

alt: well they've proven that they can play with the Lakers..

vicky: next will be a home game for them. then back to the Staple Center

alt: Yeah, I think it'll go to the 7th game.

vicky: me too, just hoping we could beat them in their territory

alt: yep, they'll have to win 1 in LA so far they've both held home court.

AYWalton: Good afternoon, all. moring in your part of the world, Ms. Vicky! howdy alt.

alt: Hello AYWalton, how you be's today?

vicky: I talked to my brother last night who is in Iowa for the Veterans Games. He said he was surrounded by Laker haters

AYWalton: pretty good and you?

vicky: hello AYWalton!

alt: doing fine AYWalton Lotsa LA haters back here in the midwest vicky.

vicky: AYWalton I just sent you a link to a site and was wondering if you had seen it

AYWalton: you sent it email?

vicky: yes, I think to your yahoo

AYWalton: oh ok, I shall check it out. just reading headlines. I see that Gary Coleman is on life support.

Professordru: Howdy Gang

alt: Y'all have plans for the weekend?

AYWalton: ProfessorDru is in da house!!

alt: Hello Professordru

vicky: yes I saw that last night. He has had multible problems multible = multiple hello there Dru!

AYWalton: Howdy Selma!!!!!!!!!!!

alt: hello Selma.. whas up?

Professordru: Selma in da house!!

vicky: and hello Selma!

Selma: Good afternoon lunchbunchers..alt, AY Prof and vicky...

vicky: My grandson has a two day track meet so it will fill up my time alt. I am just hoping it won't be too hot

alt: good luck grandma LOL

Selma: We are suppose to get rain tomorrow..gonna get some video's for my little darlins...LOL

vicky: thank you alt lol need it

Selma: Let me find my other glasses...vicky do you still have your 2 on...LOL

alt: gonna keep'em busy and outa of da way, huh Grandma Selma

vicky: lol lol @ Selma

AYWalton: I wanted to go over to Loudon National to photograph some stones, but might just take my time till have somebody to go with me. Over 1000 USCTs are buried there.

vicky: wow AYWalton!

Selma: Loudoun National what...

Seventies Soulchild: Hello everyone!

alt: hello Seventies Soulchild

Selma: Afternoon seventies...

vicky: hi Seventies

Seventies Soulchild: alt, AYWalton, Professordru, Selma and vick vicky

AYWalton: it is an old cemetery in Baltimore. Funny thing the Baltimore National has no USCTs but Loudon National does. I think Baltimore National was created after WWI or II.

Professordru: howdy soulchile

AYWalton: hello SoulChile!

Seventies Soulchild: You all are going to laugh, but there is absolutely NO work for me to do today... I may take off early and head to the library for a couple of hours.

alt: hah hah LOL

Seventies Soulchild: lol alt

AYWalton: Vicky I like your Juneteenth post on your blog!

Seventies Soulchild: I read that this morning too... very nice oh sorry about the loss last night. . . what a clincher though!

Ingrid_Doweary: Good Afternoon everyone

Professordru: howdy ingrid

AYWalton: Howdy Ingrid!

vicky: thanks AYWalton, but I forgot to #Freedom. I got a msg lol

Seventies Soulchild: Hello Ingrid

Selma: Afternoon Ingrid..

AYWalton: Vicky I did not see any message. I got one too! Good gracious---too much to think about sometimes with all the newfangled stuff.

Seventies Soulchild: What are you all planning for Juneteenth? anything interesting going on in your cities?

AYWalton: I was lucky enough to get the post up at all.

Selma: AY..I thought you might be talking about Loudoun County..where is it in Baltimore...not that I remember that much

vicky: let me get find it AY brb

AYWalton: My hometown has a major Juneteenth fest---sponsored by the city.

Seventies Soulchild: All month AYWalton?

AYWalton: I have 10 Juneteenth links on my podcast site today. Going to put up links each week through Juneteenth week. no SoulChile, only for the weekend itself. and they have a blues festival on the River. The whole town participates---whites, blacks, Chicanos, and they even have an Asian rap group performing this year.

Seventies Soulchild: say what! :?

AYWalton: yep!

Selma: Hey seventies...Music is universal.. LOL

Seventies Soulchild: you had to end that with a laugh selma. . . lol

AYWalton: we have a sizeable Asian population in the city of Ft. Smith---that is because Ft. Chaffee was a major relocation center for Vietnamese, Cambodians, Laotians, Thais, etc, in the 1970s.

Seventies Soulchild: ah that's interesting.

Ingrid_Doweary: It sure is universal !lol

Selma: Oh.......AY I thought you were talking about Balitmore

AYWalton: I taught Vietnamese refugees English in 1975 (or was it 76?). Greetings VKN!!!!!!!!!!!

Seventies Soulchild: so did I. Hello all

AYWalton: no I was referring to Juneteenth in Ft. Smith.

vkn: Howdy all y'all

AYWalton: Now Loudon Cemetery---that is in Baltimore.

Selma: Afteroon vkn

Seventies Soulchild: well hello vkn :)

AYWalton: is is on the west side of Baltimore City.

vicky: hello Vkn

Professordru: hey vee

Ingrid_Doweary: Hey Vkn

Selma: Over by the reservoir?

vkn: Glad to see Dru, alt, ayw, ingrid, selma, seventies, vicky

Ingrid_Doweary: R you referring to Lake Montebello, Selma?

alt: hello vkn

AYWalton: likewise, VKN.

vkn: lol

Selma: Oh I have no idea Ingrid..I lived off campus for 2 years...and there was a resevoir near by.. LOL

Ingrid_Doweary: Was that Morgan State U, Selma?

Selma: I watched the tanks roll by...when they had the riots in the 1960's..yes at Morgan

AYWalton: did you live near Druid Park, Selma?

alt: had a great group of about 20 AA seniors yesterday... presntation on UGRR here in clark county, had lunch and then toured a safe-house builr in 1851 and operated by an AA.

AYWalton: that is wonderful, alt. sounds like a good group, too.

Selma: Sounds great alt...

vkn: Grrrrreat alt

vicky: wonderful alt! Did you get a pic of the safe house?

alt: thanks, it was very nice, evenhad a cousin from columbus, Oh in the group

Selma: I am thinking of the name of the main street AY..might take me awhile tobring it back..

Ingrid_Doweary: That's good news, Alt.

Seventies Soulchild: Meeting the children for lunch. . . gotta run

AYWalton: Perring Parkway?

alt: yes, vicky think Ihave some photos of it on one of my sites... it is being resoted and will be used as an Interpetive Center on the UGRR here

AYWalton: (I don't really know Baltimore as well as I know Washington, though.) how are things VKN? Have to send you an email today.

vkn: as might be expected ayw thanx for asking we are working on chatrooms today

AYWalton: oh that's great! more fun changes coming??

vkn: Soooooo expect some changes by Sunday

AYWalton: Oooo.........sounds interesting!

vkn: We will delete the avatars from this room

vicky: oh

alt: http://www.toledoblade.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20040516/NEWS14/405160341/-1/NEWS

AYWalton: ahhh ok.

alt: vicky,,,, Gammon House in the background of the top photo

Selma: Could you put the listing of names and rooms back onthe other side vkn.. LOL

vicky: thanks alt! got it

vkn: Well we can

AYWalton: lol making our brains switch sides. lol

Ingrid_Doweary: Thanks Alt. Need article.

Selma: Long article alt...will read later..

vkn: Trying to configure the two sites differently

alt: yes it is Selma

AYWalton: kind of like trying to drive in London, huh Selma? lol even walking is hard in London.

vkn: lol

Selma: Its hard to switch the brain around The Obama's have gone home to Chicago for the weekend... Looking at the pictures on line

Ingrid_Doweary: Yup, even the 1st Family needs a break

AYWalton: yes, I saw that.

vicky: Has he let N O yet? Has he left NO yet?

vkn: Yall be good til Saturday night

alt: do we have to vkn LOL

vicky: geeze vkn too hard

khathu: Hello everyone

Selma: Afternoon Khathu

AYWalton: howdy khathu.

vicky: Our Prez can't seem to win for losing

alt: hey Y'all I still haven't sen anything "official" about the AAHGS conf. Have they announced anything yet?

vicky: hi there Khathu!

AYWalton: the call for paperes is out.

alt: Hello Khathu

AYWalton: I think they have a disconnect between the president and/or the web master. the page is terribly out of date.

Selma: Looks like it might be earlier in October then usual..or thats what I heard

AYWalton: plus they also are so behind in their journal. and it is in early October.

alt: I haven't even seen the CFP AYWalton

AYWalton: I think I got it in an email.

Selma: I think it will take this year..to get things back on track

Ingrid_Doweary: Hey Khathu

alt: wasn't going to submit one anyway, but.......

AYWalton: Now I see who does not listen to my podcast---I announced it a few weeks ago. lol here is the link, alt: http://aahgsnews.wordpress.com/2010/05/07/aahgs-annual-conference-call-for-papers-2010/

vicky: now is this different from the Indy Conference?

AYWalton: yes we are talking about the national AAHGS conference. the one in Indy was a mixture of groups, AAHGS and non-AAHGS folks.

Selma: Oops..

khathu: i am now ready to submit my Sons of the Republic of Texas application

AYWalton: oh that's great, khathu!

Professordru: Angela, do you get the Family Tree magazine?

khathu: i received some tax records last night which identify my ancestors by name

Selma: Wow

AYWalton: Yes I usually purchase it when I see it. I bought 2 this week. the July issue is already on the newsstands. just reading the July issue.

Professordru: Wonder why? lol I was happy to see you in the latest issue.

AYWalton: me? I am? hmm..........I missed that----what was I doing?

khathu: these tax records only survived for 1854

AYWalton: (hoping I didn't shame the family!)

Professordru: yep--a piece about your YouTube videos. I'll see if I have my copy with me.

khathu: they were recently located in the courthouse storage

AYWalton: which month? shucks I need check it out!! Lawdy!!

alt: really Khathu.. they are actually named in the tax record... I've never seen that before.

AYWalton: (so glad my mama taught me to be on good behavior.)

Ingrid_Doweary: Khathu did your records come from the county real estate and tax listing book?

Professordru: I must have taken my copy out of my bag. I'll send you the issue number when I get home.

khathu: The tax payer had to submit a list of his taxable property i.e. land, slaves, live stock, wagons, etc. the slaves are listed by name, age and value

AYWalton: ok thanks, ProfessorDru. Since I didn't see it in the July issue, pulling out the May issue that I bought.

alt: Khathu.... that is a keeper!!!!!

khathu: Ingrid I am not sure since this was a book located in the county clerk storgae a few years ago

Professordru: I received this one in the mail last week. Didn't look at the issue month.

khathu: I was trying to figure out when this practice started and was it statewide

AYWalton: what state was that record, khathu?

alt: I sthis like a 'tax dulipcate"?. I'm familiar with those from the county Auditor's Office

khathu: So far these records have only been found in Red River County, Texas

Ingrid_Doweary: Stepping away and will return shortly.

khathu: It is not a tax dulipcate. It is like the tax payer is taking an oath in submitting his taxable property to the tax collector

AYWalton: that is a good find, though. Wish such things existed in the counties that I research.

Selma: Was this a Tax Law specific to Texas?

Professordru: gotta run

khathu: I am still researching the original of this document

Selma: Or 2 a specific law for that year?

vicky: interesting khathu

Selma: The Tax Collector is always with us...

khathu: the tax payer appeared before the tax collector and stated that the tax payer make oath that the following list is correct on the 1st day of January 1854

alt: yeah, my refind came back 400.00 short after the IRS reviewed it... We've got things to discuss LOL LOL LOL

khathu: then it list all of the taxable property the list even includes poll tax

AYWalton: lol @ alt.

alt: great document Khathu

AYWalton: Selma are you going to the event on June 26 in your area? I think Gina Paige and Rick Kittles will be there.

Selma: On the phone..BRB I plan to I will have company (son and grandkids), so I will have to see Do you or the folks there plan to transcibe the whole document Khathu..it sounds invaluable

alt: sure does Selma.. sounds like it is very valuable.

khathu: the local researcher stated that there was someone working with those documents but i am not sure what he is planning

vicky: khathu did you retrieve out of the box yorself

khathu: someone else found it about four years ago it was in a book which they had re-bind

Selma: So it is possible this type of record was done in all the counties during that year.

vicky: Heyyy AmosNY

Selma: Afternoon Amos

AYWalton: howdy AmosNY!

AmosNY: Hey Vicky,Selma,Angela,Khathu!!

khathu: It is possible Selma. I believe it was done for much longer Unfortunately only 1854 has been located

alt: a great example of don't tell me my folks weren't in the records!!!! and by name.... great find Khathu!!!

vicky: what was the title again Khathu. Does it just say Tax Roll for that county

khathu: I don't have the name but i will get it to you soon

Ingrid_Doweary: Hi everyone, I've returned.

AmosNY: Heyy Ingrid!

vicky: wb ingrid!

khathu: Taxable property list

Ingrid_Doweary: Thanks Amos and Vicky,

AmosNY: I just got back from brunch.

Ingrid_Doweary: That's what I thought Khathu. I saw and copied tax property listings for my mother's maternal ggrandfather and and another ancestor also on my mother's side. Bye Amos

Selma: Early personal property records for VA beginning in 1782 for many VA counties includes slaves First names... Personal Property Tax records

AYWalton: I have to run folks. Have a great holiday weekend. Will catch some of you in chats on Sat/Sun.

alt: so in a sense there were 'registers for both FPOC AND Slaves.

khathu: Selma when did this practice stop

Selma: Not quite.. It only last for a couple of years...and not all did...so its not easy to make a leap from the 1800's back to that point

khathu: i was hoping it continued into the 1800s

alt: okay,,, and most FPOC registers in the South started after Nat Turner, right? or ealry 1800's

Selma: FN Registers in VA begin in 1793...

alt: okay Selma

Selma: Many or most don't start until early 1800's, Southampton starts as soon as the Law was passed... Then there are Commissioner of the Revenue Lists which also records Free Blacks that begins in 1806

alt: 1793, this was in conjuction with the fugitive Slave Law of 1793?

khathu: Vicky - i was informed that it was located in the District Court Office

vicky: ok thx khathu

Selma: Some counties don't keep separate registers, folks are recorded in the County Court Order books

alt: okay, but they have US accounted for somewhere in the county records, right? LOL lOL

Selma: OH yes....the idea was to know where "you" were...at all times..

alt: free or Slave

khathu: The County Commissioner Court handled the taxes in Texas

alt: gotta run y'all hope to see ya Sat nite and/or Sun morning.

Selma: Bye alt..

AmosNY: bye alt!

Selma: I gotta run too...everyone have a great day

khathu: have a great weekend everyone

vicky: lol calling Harrison County now Khathu dang I need to really get a tying tutor

Ingrid_Doweary: Perhaps you could share the info with Khathu next, Vicky. time.

vicky: I will but its this two finger typing that gets me lol

Ingrid_Doweary: lol I understand.

vicky: time for me to head out. I need to cruise the boards and FB, then pick up grandson from school have a great one ya'll

Ingrid_Doweary: You do the same, Vicky. Well, Amos I bid you adieu.

AmosNY: bye

Ingrid_Doweary: have a great weekend.

18 Dec 2002 :: 1 Feb 2009
Copyright © 2002-2008 by AfriGeneas. All rights reserved.
AfriGeneas ~ African Ancestored Genealogy