Try a new Ancestry.com Membership!

Domain Name Registration at GoDaddy.com 120x60

Footnote.com

Note: Please follow the link(s) on the navigation bar below to search additional messages that have been archived to conserve space. If no link is visible, no messages have been archived on this board.

2012-03-22 Finding Your Roots

*LunchBunch

Start: 12:07:22
End: 13:19:28
Chatters: alt, Daviss, Selma, Seventies Soulchild

Daviss: Heyy Seventies Souldchild!!!!

Seventies Soulchild: hi Daviss! My head is spinning with all of these murder cases of black males.

Daviss: How are you my friend I can understand that seventies

Seventies Soulchild: So the murder, one of them, of James Anderson received life in prison in Mississippi.

Daviss: Its been going on for years and years, that along with unnecessary jail time yeah, saw that this morning

Seventies Soulchild: They say that there will be more arrest in James Anderson's case. That should've been done months ago. Then you have the ridiculousness of the Trayvon Martin case...

Daviss: a cousin of mine on my Burks side is married to the DA in Dallas. I have to commend him for going in and looking at all the wrongful incarserations via dna

Seventies Soulchild: That's great Daviss.

Daviss: He is as you know is hated because he has gotten so many out brb ok back http://www.dmagazine.com/Home/D_Magazine/2012/April/Dallas_DA_Craig_Watkins_on_Witnessing_His_First_Execution.aspx oops alt

Seventies Soulchild: ok... just catching up on the latest with the family.

Daviss: ok

Seventies Soulchild: Also Daviss, I did some researching last night for a friend of mine and traced their family to Georgia and South Carolina. The family moved after the CW from GA to Bolivar County, MS

Daviss: well you are moving right along then huh..sharpen up them skills I see

Seventies Soulchild: Sometimes, I just want to see if I have the skill. All she told me is that her grandmother was named Evelyn Hopkins. and her granddad was Milus Hopkins. Apparently the family loves to move. lol She's from Lansing, MI

Daviss: it shows when you can help others

Seventies Soulchild: Not always, I think I got very lucky this time. I was able to find them up to 1880, not bad.

Daviss: not that you got lucky but talking about skills

Seventies Soulchild: I think I also found another sibling of her great grandfather who may have served in the USCT out of South Carolina.

Daviss: I think its different when you can research others besides your own family even though the basics are the same

Seventies Soulchild: I think so too.

Daviss: thats great Seventies re USCT

Seventies Soulchild: She's about your age. A little younger.

Daviss: lol and how old is that

Seventies Soulchild: The over 60 set... *cough* lol

Daviss: lol lol you sure escaped that one

Seventies Soulchild: brb got to pick up my lunch... lol

Daviss: k

Seventies Soulchild: ok back Daviss

Daviss: I am here

Seventies Soulchild: I think that everyone is out enjoying the weather. its supposed to be 80 today.

Daviss: 88 here

alt: howdy ladies, what's going on?

Seventies Soulchild: WOW! we're only a few degrees behind you all?

Daviss: hi alt!!

alt: Happy 1st day of Spring LOL

Seventies Soulchild: Hi alt the hot weather... lol

Daviss: I hear ya lol

Seventies Soulchild: It was colder down south than it was in NY yesterday.

Daviss: hows the weather alt

alt: very nice here Daviss

Seventies Soulchild: Thought we were going to lose you again alt.

alt: I was having trouble getting in today.... computer "be's " messin' with me.

Daviss: I see that alt

alt: but all's well that ends well LOL

Seventies Soulchild: You know wasn't there a solar flare predicted not too long ago?

alt: it was and it happened Seventies Soulchild

Seventies Soulchild: They predicted major disruptions.

Daviss: yes it was but its also El Nino or La Nina

Seventies Soulchild: Well we are getting the effects of that. We had a mild winter this year. last year we hit below zero. this year nothing below 25

alt: Reading Robert Goins postings on telephone "exchanges" and had to laugh.... he wasn't aare of how #'s used to be assigned.

Seventies Soulchild: I didn't read that.

Daviss: lol I saw that alt I still remember mine

Seventies Soulchild: you are going to laugh at this, when I was a kid to call someone in my town, all you had to do was dial the last 4 numbers

Daviss: alpine and applegate

alt: you remember those days, huh Daviss & party lines where you had different 'rings' for those on the line.

Daviss: oh yeah and listening in lol

alt: Fairfax was one I remember.

Seventies Soulchild: shame on you Daviss

Daviss: heyyy I bet alt was quilty too

alt: if you had a party line we all listened in to your phone conversations Seventies Soulchild

Daviss: lol

Seventies Soulchild: no party line.. and the phone was hardwired to the house... lol

alt: everybody's business was 'in the street' ' LOL

Seventies Soulchild: and you had to buy or rent your phone from the phone company... lol oh so that's how gossip got around... lol

alt: that was one way

Seventies Soulchild: my how times have changed. lol

alt: now you don't have to eavesdrop.. folks be telling all of the business talking loud on the cell phone out in public.

Seventies Soulchild: lol or spreading it on facebook... lol

Daviss: brb

alt: yep, that too

Selma: Good afternoon folks

Seventies Soulchild: Hey Selma

alt: that is everyone but Ms Selma,, she be ultra-private... Oops hello Ms Selma LOL LOL

Daviss: ok back

Seventies Soulchild: lol lol

Daviss: Hi Sel, how's it going?

Selma: LOL..no I am not ultra private..just not that friendly.. LOL

Seventies Soulchild: lol

Selma: Got my haircut this AM..feel like I can think.. LOL

alt: I see ... and there is a difference LOL

Daviss: heeheee @ Selma

Seventies Soulchild: I was telling Daviss earlier that I followed a line of a friend of mine for them. Got back to 1812 South Carolina/Georgia

Daviss: I should go this afternoon and get mine cut Sel

Selma: Good for you SC..

alt: where do you get your haircut Selma.... I go to 'Great Clips"... you probably have a beautician.

Seventies Soulchild: lol was your hair that unruly Selma?

Selma: Actually my hairdresser to talking about moving out of state..

Seventies Soulchild: I know I need a hair trimming...thinking about Big Chop #3

alt: oh my.... a 'good' hairdresser is hard to find..

Selma: You know when you get use to someone..it is hard to change..

Seventies Soulchild: I'm the type of person who needs wash and wear hair. I let my hair grown down past my shoulders. I understand Selma hair is very special to women. Especially black women

Selma: Yes it is seventies.. LOL

alt: I see where Daviss is all lined up and ready for the 1940 census with her ED's of interest.

Daviss: well this dingbat sheriff here is now wanting to see Obama's Selective Service card

Seventies Soulchild: Daviss, you all need to either move or move those bum politicians out of your county. Jimety Cricket!

Daviss: Only for one county so far alt. I need to get Fayette County now I keep saying you can't do that here unless all the repubs turn democrat

Selma: So are we doing a chat for Gates program on PBS daviss

Seventies Soulchild: That would be a good idea Selma.

alt: I've got so many folk I want to look up Daviss I think I'll just go with the flow and browse once i ge to a specific county. that's on the 25th, right?

Daviss: I would hope so Selma but it would still leave me out

Selma: Sunday..so now we have 2 shows..one on friday one on Sunday

Seventies Soulchild: That's a Sunday

Daviss: Do we need to get a new room

Seventies Soulchild: I think so Is sunday brunch open all day Daviss?

Daviss: what time is the show

Seventies Soulchild: Sometime Sunday night. That's the 25th. I'm looking at the calendar now.

alt: not sure,probable prime time sunday evening for the East Coast Daviss.

Selma: Then we can GAZE upon the face of Dr. Gates..again.. LOL

Daviss: Ok so if its 13 weeks we should get a new room

Seventies Soulchild: lol

Daviss: not hard to do

Seventies Soulchild: You know can we just create a 'Special Event' chat room?

Daviss: Did you see the article thanks to Dr Gates he found Wandas peeps

Seventies Soulchild: Name it just that... so that you all don't have to keep doing it over and over again?

Selma: No with these folks we need to be Specific seventies

Daviss: good idea seventies and good comment Selma lol

Seventies Soulchild: I will keep my comment to myself then. Don't want to be a mean girl.

Selma: I have 2 or 3 folks in my group who are descended from this Elizabeth banks in York

alt: I see where he is taking credit for finding her people Daviss... but really they just 'hooked' into FPOC families that had already been documented.

Seventies Soulchild: Please have them come on the evening of hte chat. the

Daviss: thats what I was thinking alt

Selma: Thanks to Paul atl.. Who has spent over 20 years documenting these early colonial families

Daviss: http://www.nytimes.com/2012/03/20/arts/television/wanda-sykes-finds-ancestors-thanks-to-henry-louis-gates-jr.html?_r=1 thanks to Gates lol

Selma: Paul has met with Gates..

alt: right Selma, while those 'histories' aren't in the mainstream FPOC families have been documented for years & years... just happens that now there is a celebrity that hooks into one of those families.

Selma: daviss..seventies posted this article on the Forum a couple of days ago

Daviss: Oh ok I guess I must have been in my Cali Zone riding the roller coasters lol

alt: and once you have gotten into one of those family lines there are many official records to support the oral histories.

Selma: Is that what you were doing Daviss

Daviss: thanks for posting Seventies yes I rode about three different ones until I saw the very tallest and told my grand-daughter I was tired now lol lol

Selma: and it is these families and their descendants who represent the largest free black population in the late 1700's..

alt: so her story will be a good example for folk to pursue if they have FPOC backgrounds and Paul's work will be a great source for many of tthem.

Daviss: right alt

Selma: and not folks who were freed by slave owners inspired by the American Revolution..although there were some who were this was implied in the segment on the Scott family...

alt: IMHO, this all points to the fact that AA genealog & family history is NOT monlithic as some of the experts would lead us to believe.

Selma: No it is not alt..and has never been Ok folks..I think I need a nap..

Daviss: lol ok Selma have a nice nap

alt: I know it, you know and we know it Selma, but there are a whole of folks, even Black folk, who don't know it.

Selma: What many folks don't understand is that Paul works forward from 1600's to 1810.. So if your family was emancipated after that time frame they will not be there

alt: right and then it stops around around the 1810-1820 timeframe

Daviss: what is wrong with that #%%% City manager in Fl

Selma: What is he doing Daviss?

Daviss: He is not saying a doggone thing and if he is now careful that place may erupt He should suspend that chief with pay until they come up with something

Selma: I'll turn on the TV after my nap..

Daviss: sheesh

Selma: Have a great day folks..

alt: I'm gonna need a nap too, my BB game doesn't come on until 10:00 PM tonite Ohio State vs Cincinnati

Daviss: man alt, our males are in deep do if they keep up with those types of responses ok have a good one also alt and may your team win

alt: thanks

Daviss: seventies Soulchild aka L with a T have a nice day oh get the lights seventies

18 Dec 2002 :: 1 Feb 2009
Copyright © 2002-2008 by AfriGeneas. All rights reserved.
AfriGeneas ~ African Ancestored Genealogy