Try a new Ancestry.com Membership!

Domain Name Registration at GoDaddy.com 120x60

Footnote.com

Note: Please follow the link(s) on the navigation bar below to search additional messages that have been archived to conserve space. If no link is visible, no messages have been archived on this board.

2012-03-12 Conferencing• Videos•Blogging

*LunchBunch

Start: 12:15:05
End: 13:37:12
Chatters: alt, AYWalton, catrina703, Daviss, frances stephens, HistoryBuff, Selma, Seventies Soulchild, vkn

HistoryBuff: Hey Daviss. How are you?

Daviss: Hi how are you

HistoryBuff: I'm good. Have you been here solo for a while?

Daviss: yes, I was just about to log off lol

HistoryBuff: Okay Take care then.

Daviss: sheesh back to this getting bumped again Grrrrrr

HistoryBuff: Sorry you are having technical difficulties.

Daviss: me too because it gets rather nervy

HistoryBuff: I'm sure.

Daviss: how are you HB today

HistoryBuff: I'm okay today. How are you today, Daviss. ?

Daviss: yes Hows your volunteering doing

HistoryBuff: I haven't been able to afford the carfare to attend lately. My work hours have been hectic.

Daviss: up and down work huh...sorry to hear that. cab fare, is that the way everyone gets around? do they have buses or those trains

HistoryBuff: I take public transportation-bus and I currently can only afford transportation to and from work. My daughter just told me yesterday that she has another year to go in school.

Daviss: understandable

HistoryBuff: That happened to me in undergrad also.

Daviss: where does she go to school happens alot HB

HistoryBuff: She's at Morgan State U. Oh it does? I was aware of that. Of course you could tell my parents that. could=couldn't Hey Seventies.

Seventies Soulchild: hello Daviss & HistoryBuff

Daviss: has she changed what she wanted to be hi seventies

HistoryBuff: Oh! Did either of you watch the HBO cable film-Game Changer, Saturday?

Seventies Soulchild: it is vacant in here... lol I thought people would be caught up with the time change. No.

Daviss: no HB I did not.. I will catch it later

Seventies Soulchild: can someone explain why Sarah Palin even had her own movie?? SMH

HistoryBuff: You all may appreciate the story. The portrayals of John McCain and Sarah Palin were much what I suspected. wb Daviss I thought it was an interesting portrayal of how she was selected and of the consequences of selecting her.

Seventies Soulchild: oh oh

Daviss: :{

Seventies Soulchild: ok what is going on? Daviss its time to call the ISP.. this is ridiculous

Daviss: I was trying to say that I did not even get to watch Oprah;

Seventies Soulchild: Oh yes, I heard about the Bobbi Kristina interview... I'm awaiting the Iyanla VanZant interview I mean show. Good afternoon alt.

alt: Hey y'all what's up?

Daviss: as far as the game changer my friends say that they even felt sorry for McCain lol

Seventies Soulchild: lol lol lol me too.

Daviss: hi alt!

Seventies Soulchild: I one swoop she ruined him.... lol

alt: DST slipped up on me... I'm still behind time LOL

Seventies Soulchild: alt alt alt lol

Daviss: he was already ruined but she just ground in a little deeper lol

Seventies Soulchild: lol

Daviss: did you forget to set clock alt :?

alt: yeah, the one I look at on my desk....

Daviss: not you now HB

HistoryBuff: Yep. Hey Alt. I'm back Seventies. lol

alt: and it's even a day ahead .. didn't account for 2-29-2012 LOL

Daviss: lol

Seventies Soulchild: lol wow you have a special clock! lol

alt: one of those little digital cheapies Seventies Soulchild

Seventies Soulchild: ah okay

alt: that anita will have to set for me ... I can't .... no technical skills LOL

HistoryBuff: It was interesting to see Smidt (sp) telling Palin, it wasn

Seventies Soulchild: You didn't miss anything important today, well other than chat? :}

HistoryBuff: ...wasn't about her.

alt: Oops. sorry to interrupt the convo.

Seventies Soulchild: lol apparently Sarah didn't take too well to that!

HistoryBuff: No harm done, Alt. I got bumped off during the course of the conversation.

AYWalton: Good afternoon, all.

HistoryBuff: Hey AYWalton.

alt: Hello AYWalton... how are ya?

AYWalton: Howdy alt, Daviss, HistoryBuff, SoulChile

Daviss: Hi AYWalton!

AYWalton: doing fine and hope you are all well.

alt: I'm getting fired up for the 1940 census..... I forgot about so many of my friends being on it with me for the 1st time.

Seventies Soulchild: Hello AYWalton

AYWalton: then you will have a grea time, with it, alt!

alt: I sure will AYWalton

Daviss: that will be good for you to see alt...and looking up friends and family

Seventies Soulchild: alt I will have to look you up and no I won't laugh. lol

HistoryBuff: Any way, I stumbled on to the Vintage Black Classic Photo FB page and encountered a story about a Richard Theodore Greener 1844-1922. I read this man bio and was blown away with many of his historical ties in history.

Seventies Soulchild: My father will be on it, as well as my aunt, hopefully.

alt: you better hadn't laugh Seventies Soulchild

AYWalton: what is the name of the group on FB, HistoryBuff?

Seventies Soulchild: My great grandparents, all of them will also be on it. I'll be looking for some of my kin folk... I have an entire laundry list of people I'm looking for.

AYWalton: Greetings, vkn!!!!!!!!!!!

vkn: Howdy all y'all

alt: hello vkn how 'be's' ya?

Seventies Soulchild: hello vkn

Daviss: hi vkn!

HistoryBuff: Hey Vkn

vkn: Y'all be lookin good

HistoryBuff: Vintage Black Glamour.

Seventies Soulchild: What's that HistoryBuff? A website?

HistoryBuff: Here's a search link on this gentlemen. https://www.google.com/search?q=Richard+T.+Greener&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a

alt: thanks HistoryBuff

AYWalton: thanks HistoryBuff

Daviss: and a good looking man too HB lol

alt: catrina703 howdy

catrina703: Hey

Daviss: hi catrina703

Seventies Soulchild: hello catrina703. How are you doing?

HistoryBuff: Talk about 6 degrees of separation, he was connected with John Alexander Logan, Frederick Douglass, Pres. McKinley, etc.

Seventies Soulchild: thanks for joining us today.

alt: a man of his time, huh HistoryBuff

AYWalton: wow while looking at the site, I just found a photo of Grandpa Huxtable from back in the day! He was quite a handsome man!

HistoryBuff: Hey catrina703, good to see you. I was just ranting on about my short history research for today.

AYWalton: http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=355736721132864&set=a.172850202754851.32912.172849239421614&type=1&theater

catrina703: cool

vkn: two counties were impacted by the thugs who cut the network cables to steal copper for sell. Service was out for 4 days

AYWalton: I did not realized he was a Shakespearean actor. where was that, vkn?

Seventies Soulchild: Well gold is down, silver is up and copper is wwwaaaayyy up!

AYWalton: hello catrina703

alt: WOW!!! vkn that's sumpin'

Seventies Soulchild: Silver costs more than gold now...

vkn: and I have been anti death penalty ahem til now lol

catrina703: AYWalton i;ve been checking out your youtube videos

Daviss: isn't this the second time vkn

vkn: 2nd time

AYWalton: hope you have found them useful, catrina703

Daviss: they just took out one of the elementary schools about a week ago vkn

vkn: different area so guess I'm stuck in the middle

HistoryBuff: Indeed he was, AY. I went on to Ancestry.com to read more about him. He was part of Charles Whitaker's defense at West Point, lived in Chicago among many places. He was the first Law school dean at Howard, had a law practice in DC.

catrina703: VERY, thanks

Seventies Soulchild: Charles Whitaker? huh?

HistoryBuff: AYWalton's videos are quite instructive, aren

AYWalton: thank you for the kind word, HistoryBuff.

Daviss: you may want to also check some of those radioblog shows catrina703

Seventies Soulchild: Blogtalkradio.com

catrina703: ok will do

AYWalton: greetings, Mizz Selma!!!

alt: hello Selma,, how you doing?

Seventies Soulchild: Hello Selma

Selma: Good afternoon folks...

vkn: selma howdy

HistoryBuff: YW. My bad, Seventies "Johnson Chesnutt Whittaker, the second black cadet at the United States Military Academy at West Point,... "

vkn: catrina howdy

HistoryBuff: Hey Selma Gotta run.

vkn: bye

Seventies Soulchild: ah okay. I wonder though, how many were here and were 'expelled' within the first few months? sickening

Selma: Are you going to be able to make the Fairfax conference..catrina?

catrina703: going try for atleast one day

AYWalton: I think their Saturday program looks good. Lots of things going on that weekend. I was hoping to attend, but the Baltimore group also has an event planned for that day.

Selma: Looks like there are at least 3 different things going on at the same time for the next couple of weeks.

AYWalton: the season is picking up.

Selma: AY..are you going to SLC early?

AYWalton: Oh yes---I have to put in at least one full day of research at the FHC. Will probably travel that Tuesday to spend all day on Wednesday at the research center.

Selma: OK

AYWalton: how about you, Selma? once the conference starts I won't have as much time, although the library is only about half a block away.

Selma: AAHGS is 1st weekend in NC, VGS is 2nd weekend in Lynchburg..then SLC..I will need a vacation if I land up going to all 3

AYWalton: But there are three major events----AAHGS in NC, then SLC and also there is ASALH. (not sure where ASALH) is, though.

alt: you can handle it Selma

Selma: ASALH is not on my list this year

AYWalton: and I will also be in Chicago at the Af. Am conference in early October. So I will do Chicago, then SLC. Selma I hear that the AAHGS group in MO has folded. Although there is the non-AAHGS group that is thriving in St. Louis.

Selma: Sorry to hear that AY

AYWalton: the non-AAHGS group is the group that I presented to last month. They are a busy group of folks.

alt: Does AAHGS need an 'outreach' program?

AYWalton: and also they are the group contemplating planning something for summer 2013.

alt: with all of the AA genealogy sctiviy going on in so many areas it would seem to be a 'fertile time' for AAHGS.

Selma: Have to run folks...have a great day.

AYWalton: as long as you are offering something for folks. and the competition is out there and busy. Many groups and people are offering inexpensive events and classes---some of them free--to the public. Bernice Bennett has a weekly group that she works with every Monday at the FHC outside of Washington. Free to the public--help with African American genealogy. and the room is packed every week.

Daviss: lots of records uploaded on Family Search

vkn: People are increasing their searching

AYWalton: so many are finding outlets outside of membership based groups. And the price is right. Hello frances stephens

alt: hello frances stephens

frances stephens: Hello, all

vkn: Howdy Frances

Daviss: thats a neat idea regarding bb working with smaller groups

AYWalton: She just volunteered her time and now the place is full on Mondays. They even had a full day conference last month.

Seventies Soulchild: Hi frances stephens.

Daviss: hi frances stephens

catrina703: Now that "Who Do Yo Think You Are" is back on the air, I'm getting calls from family members asking about our tree, LOL

Daviss: lol @ catrina703

Seventies Soulchild: I've had a cousin call me and ask me to help with his father's family. lol

AYWalton: that's good catrina!

catrina703: I keep telling them I don't have NBC money to do that kinda research, LOL

Seventies Soulchild: You know you ought to tell them if they want to know they can financially support you with this. I mean its their family too... good luck with that! lol

frances stephens: Re: WDYTYA, seems to me that we have all done the research steps they suggest.

Daviss: lol frances stephens I did not learn those steps from them

vkn: Those are good calls Catrina

AYWalton: They may have learned some steps from us, perhaps. :)

catrina703: yep, but the show sometime makes it look too easy

Seventies Soulchild: lol Daviss could probably teach them a thing or two..

Daviss: lol

AYWalton: well to walk into a place and have someone give you your history does make it look easy.

vkn: True ayw

Daviss: yep and bookmarked too

frances stephens: Neither did I, I just jumped in with cold feet/ Everything they talk about I have alrady done.

Seventies Soulchild: But they do preface everything with "We did some research... "

AYWalton: Funny though, the folks always looked as if they left with nothing. I know it was staged for the cameras, but even when talking to their families they are only talking and not showing the family anything at all. I hope they actually got something.

alt: they (WDYTYA) needs to caption those visits like 2 weeks later, 1 month late, etc. when they go from place to place.

Seventies Soulchild: Yes that driving backwards and forwards makes me dizzy... lol

Daviss: cough cough alt

AYWalton: At least Dr. Gates gives them a book like a sc*ap with documents. (hopefully with sources cited.)

catrina703: alt EXACTLY - weeks of Pro help before the show done

AYWalton: (had to abbreviate sc*ap, as the system thinks I was using a bad word. lol Also with African Americans the quick trip to Africa is always a bit of a quick emotional fix---that puts aside documentation and just provides a quick "DNA high", so to speak.

alt: well, when they rolled out that scroll fro Blari Underwood... how long did it take to prepare that item? It seemed like a " I just happen to have' moment.

AYWalton: I liked the Bettis episode because they did not do the DNA side trip---they focused at least on the records.

Seventies Soulchild: I agree. That was a good episode.

AYWalton: I agree alt---that was kind of odd.

Seventies Soulchild: I would have to say that my least favorite AA episode on WDYTYA was Emmitt Smith's.

AYWalton: I mean----a pretty chart is a pretty chart that somebody just made for him, it was not an old document. wb Daviss

Seventies Soulchild: Just for the reason you stated AYWalton, jumped too quickly back to Africa.

frances stephens: The Bettis episaoe is the first one I have watche this season, it was better than what I saw last year. But then I did not watch too many of thoe either.

alt: I think Ancestry & NBC are reading/listening to the commentary and improving their shows from year to year.

frances stephens: Oops I meant episode.

catrina703: This season has been better

AYWalton: and they just make a quick trip to a village and then leave. Even Underwood met a "cousin" but then what? Was there a real bond with the folks there? Of course we can't know that answer, much was staged for the cameras, but it makes one wonder. does anyone watch the episodes on Generations TV?

catrina703: That was about selling theire new DNA product AYWalton LOL

AYWalton: one can watch them online. and they deal with regular non-famous people.

alt: I'm stil [uzzled by the 10th cousin thing.. that's a long way back to find a common ancestor ..... even genetically.

AYWalton: which episode is that, alt?

alt: Blair Underwood AYWalton

Daviss: It would be nice then to cut the amount of people portrayed and make it two episodes each..

AYWalton: ahhh ok. Yes, that was back pretty far. I think they wanted to put a different twist on things. and then the entire village turns out and they dance for the visitor "coming home". well, I shall run folks, just checked on the time. Updating my blogs today. Have a good day everyone.

alt: I'm back to 1735 for a couple of lines and those 'common ancestors' would only be 5th-6th couisns.

frances stephens: Time to run as well. Have a good day.

Seventies Soulchild: Gotta run. have a good day all!

vkn: niters catrina

catrina703: bybye

Daviss: oh well !

18 Dec 2002 :: 1 Feb 2009
Copyright © 2002-2008 by AfriGeneas. All rights reserved.
AfriGeneas ~ African Ancestored Genealogy