Try a new Ancestry.com Membership!

Domain Name Registration at GoDaddy.com 120x60

Footnote.com

Note: Please follow the link(s) on the navigation bar below to search additional messages that have been archived to conserve space. If no link is visible, no messages have been archived on this board.

2012-03-08 BlogRadio • RG105

*LunchBunch

Start: 12:04:25
End: 12:59:43
Chatters: alt, AYWalton, HistoryBuff, Selma, Seventies Soulchild

Seventies Soulchild: Lunch bunch chat is officially open. Please type "Seventies Soulchild" if you want to get my attention.

alt: hey Seventies Soulchild ... what's Up?

Seventies Soulchild: hey alt... lol just commenting on your great grandsons baby photo! talk about cuuutteee! :}

alt: thank you!!!! He's an armful Hello Ms Selma.. how ya doing?

Seventies Soulchild: lol he really looked like he wanted to wrap that towel more so around him. As if to say, really a picture of me topless?! lol Hey Selma I see that Melvin Collier is starting a blog.

Selma: Good Thursday afternoon alt and seventies...

alt: okay, wishing Melvin much success.

Seventies Soulchild: I wish you'd do a blog alt...

Selma: He don't have too much time seventies...he spends it keeping up his TP

alt: not sure I'd be able to keep one current Seventies Soulchild, but thanks for the thought.

Seventies Soulchild: You too Selma We need y'alls expertise out there. I mean out out there.

alt: there you go Selma, just added a few photos last week, another story, and 'bunches' of updated information.

Selma: When I am here ain't I "out there"... LOL

Seventies Soulchild: lol I guess... but you know what I mean. :)

alt: yes you are Selma!!!

Selma: I am going to be on BBenn show on the 29th..she asked for a photo..I almost said aw forget it..

Seventies Soulchild: lol I am anxiously the show... tonight's show sounds good too.

alt: good Selma, looking forward to hearing you "wax eloquently" LOL

Selma: You all know it is past my "bedtime"..hopefully I don't fall asleep..

Seventies Soulchild: Bernice will be talking about community research. An area I see that I'm going to need to get acquainted with.. :)

Selma: I wouldn't say you know me until after you hear how I do.. LOL

alt: have yo decided on a topic?

Seventies Soulchild: Please promote RG105... that's all I have! brb Hey HistoryBuff

alt: Hello HistoryBuff

Selma: Oh I am going to be talking about RG1O5 using VA and other stuff I have from other states as example..

HistoryBuff: Hey Seventies, Selma, and Alt.

Selma: Afternoon Historybuff..

alt: Wonderful Selma

Selma: Hoping to inspire folks to go and take a look and stop waiting for other folks to find it for them

Seventies Soulchild: great Selma. Will you be doing anything on AL or MS?

alt: You have so MANY resources to share Selma.... things "WE" don't normally think of as where our people might be found in record sets.

Seventies Soulchild: right and I can't wait to sit and learn. :)

Selma: You know what I am going to say seventies...go read the descriptive pamphlet..and then go look..and yes you have to READ IT.. LOL

alt: and I know you will stress stop looking for black records per se, but start looking for black folks in records.

Seventies Soulchild: lol I did... lol What range in years are you going to discuss Selma?

Selma: 1865 - 1872..but the info contained is different in the states

Seventies Soulchild: great!

Selma: Some states records are more extensive than others..

Seventies Soulchild: I'll mark it on my calendar.

HistoryBuff: That is wonderful.

alt: Shamele Jordan has a nice presentation on how the Filed Offices were set up for different states and what you might find that is different from state to state and field office to field office.

Seventies Soulchild: Also, you all are going to laugh about this. Ok so I received my latest round of DNA results and Tusker (Jim Ivory) matches yet another group with me... lol his family is also from Natchez, MS

Selma: That is what I am doing alt..

HistoryBuff: Such connections you have Seventies.

Seventies Soulchild: I mean this is the second time we shared the same ethnic group. woo

alt: this is the guy in California who writes with the funny puncuation marks?

Selma: Where is Mizz Daviss alt

alt: dunno, sleeping in ??? LOL

Seventies Soulchild: yes it is.... his Ivory family, many of which married into my various family lines share ethnicities

AYWalton: good afternoon, all

HistoryBuff: Hey AYWalton!

alt: hello AYWAlton

Seventies Soulchild: vicky's sis in law died early this morning..

Selma: Oh sorry to hear that seventies

Seventies Soulchild: Hi AYWalton

Selma: Afternoon AYWalton

HistoryBuff: Oh, I am sorry to hear.

AYWalton: oh dear are you referring to daviss?

alt: oh my, have to send her a sympathy message.

Seventies Soulchild: yes daviss

AYWalton: oh my goodness!! what happened did she say?

Seventies Soulchild: No she hasn't given any details yet AYWalton.

AYWalton: did she send email SoulChile?

alt: so Seventies Soulchild, sounds like you're getting a little "fired up" with your DNA results ????

Seventies Soulchild: No she posted on FB...

AYWalton: ahhh ok.

HistoryBuff: Oh okay. Thanks Seventies

Seventies Soulchild: The results I've received are a little broad... lol A few thousand years is ways too far back. lol

Selma: LOL YOu need to connect with the lady in RI who won the Power Ball.. lOL

Seventies Soulchild: Within 500 years is more reasonable... so we'll see what African Ancestry says.

alt: but your matches are within the genealogical timeframe right ... 3rd to 5th cousins

Seventies Soulchild: Not sure yet, Relative finder hasn't opened up for me. Just to let you all know how broad these results are, for my grandfather's MtDNA, quite a few people are Danish. I'm sure that connection is at least 10,000 years back or more.

alt: okay, yeah the haplogroup stuff is "deep" and it is only straight line, but the Ancestry Painting & RF matches are interesting... or can be.

Seventies Soulchild: The ones on the community board with that same haplogroup

Selma: Not necessarily the Danish were involved in the slave trade

Seventies Soulchild: lol alt, I only paint in yellow to deep brown... lol

alt: hwo did you get your grnadfathers' mtDNA?

Seventies Soulchild: He submitted a sample to 23andme.

alt: ah so, that's wonderful.. so he has a Euro haplogroup?

Seventies Soulchild: No African. But a lot of the people in the community board are white and have the same grouping.

alt: I see

Seventies Soulchild: So this maternal line would go back to the Boyds... which was my great-great grandmothers maternal line surname

alt: okay saw a nice article on the AA historina in KY who assisted in the Jerome Bettis epsiode. historian

AYWalton: oh the phone with daviss, the death was of a friend of hers, and not of a sister in law.

Seventies Soulchild: OH!!! geez...

alt: okay AYWalton .. thanks

Seventies Soulchild: I saw that too alt. Well she's got her brother's fb page linked on there...

HistoryBuff: Where did you see the article, Seventies and Alt?

alt: We've worked with that KY group on our KY ancestry and sent them materials.

Seventies Soulchild: that led me to believe it was her sis-in-law

AYWalton: that was facebook doing that.

Seventies Soulchild: aw...

HistoryBuff: Very nice Alt.

alt: FB HistoryBuff, from a CCN link I belive

Seventies Soulchild: there is a clip also on the WDYTYA page where he's with the man on what was probably a plantation where his family was enslaved.

AYWalton: Somehow FB links unrelated people to stories.

HistoryBuff: Thanks I'll look that up.

AYWalton: I am tagged in photos that I have nothing to do with.

Seventies Soulchild: rather a farm.

HistoryBuff: Oooops.

Seventies Soulchild: alt, did Kentucky have any major plantations?

alt: good point Seventies Soulchild, I was just reading the disctinction between a "farmer" & a "planter" as it relates to his acreage and the @ of slaves owned.

AYWalton: On the phone with her and she says she has no idea how or why her brother's photo is there like that---she did not put it up that way. One of the problems with Facebook.

Seventies Soulchild: ok

alt: Lots of plantations in KY Seventies Soulchild .... remember KY was VA until 1792.

AYWalton: you get tagged in photos that you have nothing to do with. Happens all the time---which annoys me with FB.

Seventies Soulchild: Ah okay..

AYWalton: My name is tagged on the article that Lisa Lee put up on the NGS policies.

Seventies Soulchild: Me too AYWalton

Selma: See just another reason why I don't like Facebook..besides not being friendly

AYWalton: as much as it is used---it does weird things.

Seventies Soulchild: alt, I did not know that, I thought it was just West VA

alt: or people do weird things AYWalton LOL LOL

Seventies Soulchild: lol Selma

HistoryBuff: What are your thoughts about iGoogle, AYWalton?

Selma: Seventies everything just about was VA until the other states were formed.. LOL

Seventies Soulchild: Sounds like it! lol

alt: even parts of Ohio were once considered as VA Seventies Soulchild

Seventies Soulchild: I do remember the VA/W.Va thing from school.

AYWalton: I don't use iGoogle, and am not familiar with it.

Seventies Soulchild: iGoogle is stupid.

HistoryBuff: okay.

Seventies Soulchild: Sorry.. honest techie opinion there.

alt: now, now Seventies Soulchild

AYWalton: looks like a page that you can create or something. I have enough pages on my own.

Seventies Soulchild: ok I'll behave, don't whip me alt... lol

alt: I wouldn't do that Seventies Soulchild

HistoryBuff: My bad, I meant, Google+.

alt: problem with most of these New applications is they don't have a DWIM button "Do What I Mean" LOL

Seventies Soulchild: oh okay. I haven't tried that. I've been quite reluctant to

AYWalton: Google+ is another network and I am on it, though I don't use it. It actually might be better than Facebook though, but I put a lot of energy on following folks on Twitter.

Seventies Soulchild: lol

AYWalton: Twitter is short and sweet---no fluff and provides good links to new sites.

Seventies Soulchild: Yep

AYWalton: No photos and not silly poems or inspirational quote and fluff that lots of folks saturate FB with. not = no

HistoryBuff: I was just exploing. I guess I better learn to Tweet.

AYWalton: no poems or posters or feel-good quotes. Just text with links. well Tweeting is useful if you want to promote and the people you follow lead you to to new sites.

Seventies Soulchild: 140 characters or less

AYWalton: I saw SoulChile's tweet about Melvin Collier's new blog.

Seventies Soulchild: I do appreciate that they shorten links now.

AYWalton: that's all I needed----a tweet and a link and bam---there it was. no fluff.

Seventies Soulchild: Yep

AYWalton: I get so tired of all of the warm and fuzzy feel-good fluff on FB. Like walking into a Hallmark store sometimes. Too much fluff.

HistoryBuff: lol

AYWalton: and for some reason Facebook makes the posters that folks put up HUGE.

Seventies Soulchild: The quotes get on my nerves.

alt: Selma, any room for me with you? I'm still in the 'dark ages' LOL LOL

Selma: and I thought I was the ONLY one not too friendly..

AYWalton: I don't want to see all of that---just tell you have a good site, provide the link and that's all that's needed. Now FB can be useful for good threads.

HistoryBuff: Guess they're guilty of TMI, eh?

Seventies Soulchild: Yes and people do put links in there as well.

AYWalton: the thread that VKN put up last week and the one that LisaLee put up---both generated good dialogue and interaction. but it does not happen a lot, though.

Seventies Soulchild: No it doesn't

AYWalton: the two best threads in MONTHS.

alt: It's all in how folks use the applications.... they are all mostly marketing & advertising tools

HistoryBuff: I hear ya, Alt.

AYWalton: well I don't follow many marketers, I have friends who are genealogists---but so many put up junk posts like quotes and posters. And I have no idea why FB makes them so big. Sometimes I just hide it when I see it so I won't have to see it in the news feed, but more often than not, I just ignore.

Seventies Soulchild: lol I try to steer away from that kind of stuff.

alt: with many of the FB applications all I see are tracking & markting tools.. the games, find family, etc. same with Linkedin, etc.

Seventies Soulchild: I get linkedin requests all the time. I've started marking them as spam

HistoryBuff: See that is where FB gets to be too muchj for me-the applications. I don't have time for them.

Seventies Soulchild: I had to tell people no apps or games

alt: exactly HistoryBuff, you use what you like and steer clear of the rest...

HistoryBuff: There it is...

Selma: AY..when you were here and you visited Pleasant Shade cemetery did you see any USCT headstones, besides the one Dru mentioned at the meeting last night

AYWalton: just one.

Selma: OK..

AYWalton: You know I am always on the hunt for USCTs.

HistoryBuff: Gotta run good folks. See you next time.

AYWalton: and am always curious when a soldier is not buried near the other USCTs. later HistoryBuff

Selma: We are going to be documenting the cemetery in the next couple of weeks...wish I could remember what I learned at the Mapping Class last year.. LOL with the GPS

Seventies Soulchild: I was wondering also where my Benj Thompson is buried. Heard the Natchez Cemetery. No supporting docs as of yet.

AYWalton: you need a special GPS device. the ones in the car can't do what we did. I have looking at some at the Sporting good shop.

Seventies Soulchild: Garmin AYWalton?

Selma: Don't smart phones have that capability?

AYWalton: Garmin, or Magellan. some do--but the smart phones are smarter than I am.

Selma: LOL

AYWalton: I would love to do what we did in the class. I still want to learn how to do that.

Selma: I am going to dig out my CD..

AYWalton: I plan to see if I can find an instructional video on how to do it.

alt: shouldn't be hard to find with your fabulous 'filing system" Selma

Selma: There is someone who did a cemetery in Williamsburg with GPS..he is coming to a meeting we haveing next week

AYWalton: the guy that Drusilla met ---can't think of his name---the Location based genealogy guy---he had a special camera and software program that did that. Bernie Gracy? that might be his name.

Selma: My filing system is "under pile #40"

alt: @ Selma lol lol

AYWalton: I hear ya, Selma! lol well I better run. Gonna move some of my piles around. for variety.

Selma: LOL

AYWalton: (makes me think I did something useful!) have a good one, folks.

Selma: I have to run folks see you all tonight at Bernice's

alt: you have a special place in my system Selma

Seventies Soulchild: ok bye Selma and AYWalton How did I get to be the last person in here again?? :)

alt: Oops she's gone.. was gonna tell her it's in a pile called 'Selma's stuff" LOL

Seventies Soulchild: lol I'll see you tonight Mr. Thomas. take care!

alt: you get the lights & I'll get the chairs Seventies Soulchild

18 Dec 2002 :: 1 Feb 2009
Copyright © 2002-2008 by AfriGeneas. All rights reserved.
AfriGeneas ~ African Ancestored Genealogy