Try a new Ancestry.com Membership!

Domain Name Registration at GoDaddy.com 120x60

Footnote.com

Note: Please follow the link(s) on the navigation bar below to search additional messages that have been archived to conserve space. If no link is visible, no messages have been archived on this board.

2010-05-23

* SatNiteChat

Start: 00:00:07
End: 00:16:56
Chatters: AYWalton, jhonora

jhonora: True, maybe Louisiana, Gulf Coast, Maryland & South, Mid-West, Urban Centers

AYWalton: I guess if one was just doing a piece on the churches, maybe not too hard to do. something to think about anyway. who who are you sharing the photos with?

jhonora: My sisters, cousins, grandmother, friends, classmates all had our butts busted by the Holy Family, so they are a part of us. The Charity Sistera would only interest maybe two or three fellow researchers. sisters = sister, rather

AYWalton: I am sending you one more photo. this is from the 1940s from St. John's my old parish. ok you should have it any second now. Most of the people I do not recognize. Bishop Fletcher is there, so this was a confirmation of some sort, then there was a man who I think as Sir Charles Jewett.

jhonora: Wow. You all had a nice church. Because of the size of pop., I expected a small wooden church. Those are Benedictines, right?

AYWalton: yes, the nuns were Benedictines, and the priests were Holy Ghost Fathers. you are looking at the school building. I will send you an image of the church later. Sir Charles actually built the school library building with his own money. he got the title of Sir Charles from the Pope.

jhonora: Well, it is interesting to see how many "white" orders ministered to our people. We never knew down here, with the black nuns and only SBS.

AYWalton: He financed the building to a great extent, of St. John the Baptist Church, the school, sisters’ home, library building and the parish rectory. In establishing this parish for the colored people of Fort Smith, he donated large sums himself and was instrumental in obtaining financial gifts from others. The most beautiful Rose Window in the church was donated by him

jhonora: Was he a white man? I can't tell, you know how that goes.

AYWalton: yes, he is right next to the bishop. you see him in his regalia. In 1930, the Holy Father, to show the recognition and appreciation of the Church for Mr. JEWETT’S many works of charity, conferred upon him the Knighthood of St. Gregory, while two years later a second honor was given to him the Grand Cross Knight of the Holy Sepulcher

jhonora: Yes, what a story. You have to write about your parish. We had Knights of St. Gregory and Holy Sepulcher, but always blacks. He must have been unique among AK whites.

AYWalton: oh Lord yes!! he was a unique man, for sure. and you know what---most folks tied to St. John's never heard of him. we had beautiful stained glass windows, and he paid for them as well.

jhonora: That's a shame. My gr-gr-gr-grandfather gave the land for our church in the country but few know that.

AYWalton: so few care at all. and now the community is fractured, no one will ever know. Hmm..........I guess I do need to write about it. I have my dad's parochial school diploma from 1938. He was graduating from the 8th grade--from St. John's. one of the few pieces of memorabilia left. oh well----------we had both better get some sleep. Tomorrow is Sunday. you have a 7 am Mass. I have a 10:30 Mass if I make it. sighh..........

jhonora: See you tomorrow.

AYWalton: and an online brunch. you take care. have a good one!

jhonora: Good night.

AYWalton: good night.

* SunMornBrunch

Start: 11:29:31
End: 12:13:11
Chatters: jhonora, Khathu, Seventies Soulchild

Khathu: Good morning Seventies

Seventies Soulchild: Hey Khathu I think I came too early...

Khathu: naw...you are right on time

Seventies Soulchild: Still looking for Scott Washington...

Khathu: i though you found him thought = though

Seventies Soulchild: Well looking for him before 1881. . .

Khathu: i thought you found him last night

Seventies Soulchild: I was looking for him last night There are a few men with the surname Washington in Wilkinson county born about 1858-59 so I'm still looking

Khathu: okay have you tried tax records

Seventies Soulchild: I hadn't looked at those yet. I'm not sure if he would be in that county owning anything though, in Wilkinson Co. I know he had property in Adams Co.

Khathu: one of my ancestors i am unable to pick up in the 1900 or 1910 censuses but i was able to pick him up on tax and court records for all of those years in between the two census people were required to pay taxes even if they did not own any property

Seventies Soulchild: hello jhonora

jhonora: Morning khathu, seventies soulchild

Khathu: hello jhonora

Seventies Soulchild: You had to go to the county to get those records, right?

Khathu: they maybe be on microfilm and if so you can probably order them through inter library loan

Seventies Soulchild: ok sounds good.

Khathu: so check out the state library and archives to see what records exist for your county and if they are microfilm also are you near a family history center?

Seventies Soulchild: No

Khathu: okay

jhonora: got kicked

Seventies Soulchild: wb jhonora

Khathu: that was the other option

Seventies Soulchild: I can do interlibrary loan So what's going on with your research, Khathu, jhonora

jhonora: Nothing much, trying to complete book for reunion

Seventies Soulchild: Ah okay, that can be time consuming & a bit frustrating.

Khathu: i am just all over the place right now

Seventies Soulchild: yah I hear you.

Khathu: also i am working on a few other people families

Seventies Soulchild: Someone in Luckie's genealogywise group was looking for some slavery info from Polk Co. Tx to Autauga Co. AL. I thought of you Khathu

Khathu: really....

Seventies Soulchild: Isn't Polk one of your counties?

jhonora: So many left Alabama for Texas. Is Polk in the Black Belt?

Khathu: no...my counties are Cass, Leon, Red River, Smith, Freestone, Van Zandt, Bastrop and a few others

Seventies Soulchild: Polk is in TX... Autauga is in the Black Belt though.

Khathu: right

Seventies Soulchild: Are you doing any searching in AL jhonora? Or have you?

Khathu: a lot of people from Georgia settled in Cass County

Seventies Soulchild: I know we touched on this before, but in your research what migratory patterns have you both noticed from other states? Into your state of research?

Khathu: Well all of mine with the exception of one line left the sea boarding states and migrated to Texas

Seventies Soulchild: ok like ga, nc, sc? What's going on jhonora?

jhonora: Wow in your case, Khathu, the Lone star called them all. 70s, it tells me 'connection to server lost'

Seventies Soulchild: oh... Is it storming down there?

jhonora: No, but it is supposed to tonight and tomorrow

Khathu: except one line that stayed in NC until the late 1880s and they moved to Avoyeels Parish, Louisiana

Seventies Soulchild: ok. . Yes I noticed that my Lanier folks came from NC and they must've belonged to a some well to do folks because they settled from Huntsville down to Autauga Co.

Seventies Soulchild: And the name Burrell Lanier keeps coming up in my research. There were many, many of them both black and white. However, I am really interested in my great-grandmother Lucy Stroggins and her siblings.

Seventies Soulchild: :) Some of them disappear after about 1900 So many to-dos. . . lol

Khathu: you may have to expand your search outside the surrounding area as well as beyond the census

Seventies Soulchild: yes, I know just can't seem to get to AL and the records are mostly at the county level. . . ok well . . . you all are so talkative. . . lol . . . I can't get a word in edgewise!

Khathu: lol

Seventies Soulchild: Well say something! What's going on with the blog, Khathu?

Khathu: i did...aren't i responding to you.... i am putting the finishing on Looking for Betsy Ransom Part II hopefully it will be up either today or tomorrow

Seventies Soulchild: ok Looking forward to reading about Betsy.

Khathu: this case just really fell into my lap

Seventies Soulchild: ok

Khathu: it was amazing how much information i was able to uncovered in a day at the Library of Virginia

Seventies Soulchild: Virginia and Texas seem like they have good records. Better records than most states. Alright, I'm heading out for a daily walk... have a good day Khathu

Khathu: okay have a good one

18 Dec 2002 :: 1 Feb 2009
Copyright © 2002-2008 by AfriGeneas. All rights reserved.
AfriGeneas ~ African Ancestored Genealogy