Try a new Ancestry.com Membership!

Domain Name Registration at GoDaddy.com 120x60

Footnote.com

Note: Please follow the link(s) on the navigation bar below to search additional messages that have been archived to conserve space. If no link is visible, no messages have been archived on this board.

2012-01-24 Serendipity • Data Inout

*LunchBunch

Start: 12:06:09
End: 13:14:29
Chatters: alt, AYWalton, daviss, HistoryBuff, Selma, Seventies Soulchild, vkn

AYWalton: Howdy alt!!!! how's it going?

alt: hello AYWalton .... just responded to your posting on AfriGeneas about Mrs. Hockenhull (sp).

Seventies Soulchild: hello alt and AYWalton

AYWalton: Hey there, SoulChile!

alt: Hi Seventies Soulchild , how are ya.

AYWalton: Oh thanks alt! I hope you enjoyed it!

alt: I did... and is that experience called "Serendipity"? the story would make a wonderful case study presentation .... IMHO LOL on Serendipity

Seventies Soulchild: Doing well. How are you all today?

AYWalton: I don't think that was a seredipitous experience necessarily.

alt: i'm doing well Seventies Soulchild, You?

AYWalton: But I enjoyed the search. doing fine, SoulChile, and you? Howdy History Buff.

alt: Okay AYWalton

Seventies Soulchild: good. Hi HistoryBuff

HistoryBuff: Hey AYWalton ,alt alt and Seventies.

alt: Hello HistoryBuff

AYWalton: I think that let' say you are going to a cemetery to visit a grave, and then you later meet someone and tell them about your visit. You mention the gravesite and then they mention that they are a direct descendant of that same person---that is kind of serendipity.

alt: I get two hello's from HistoryBuff :)

HistoryBuff: Yes sticky fingers Alt.

AYWalton: Or you are following a line of research, and while on a flight you start talking to the person next to you and it turns out that they have tons of information on the same line that you are researching. That is a form of seredipity, I suppose.

HistoryBuff: Sounds like serendipity to me.

AYWalton: You know there are a couple of books about that sort of thing in genealogy. I think one is Psychic Roots. not sure of the other one.

alt: Okay.. Debbie presented on Alice Cole Stewart at the OGS Conf.... I had research the Randolph Slave ancestor's of Alice Cole Stewart.... I thought that that 'coincidence' experience qualified as serendipity

AYWalton: yes, that is serendipity.

alt: we knew nothing of each other's work until the conference and her presentation

AYWalton: yes that is a good example. I guess now that you say it, alt, perhaps there was a little bit of serendipity in my Hockenhull story. hmm......... I guess I was thinking it wasn't because I know Melvin, but seredipity can involve people who are also familiar, I suppose. and to think that AfriGeneas Precious photos unlocked the door.

Seventies Soulchild: I have something I wanted to talk about regarding AfriGeneas. came up in the facebook world.

HistoryBuff: "Things that make you go Hmmmm," as Arsenal Hall used to say.

AYWalton: After that---it all fell open. oh yes, hmmm.......is true.

Seventies Soulchild: That was a nice find AYWalton.

AYWalton: what do you have to discuss SoulChile? now = know (referring to sentence above) I really do know how to spell (most of the time, anyway).

Seventies Soulchild: I'll wait until we have some more of our regulars.

AYWalton: wow, now you have me anxious, SoulChile.

Seventies Soulchild: don't be.

alt: me too

AYWalton: lol ok

Seventies Soulchild: Now so after Isaac Hockenhull married Mahalia Jackson, they divorced righ?

alt: who has seen 'Red Tails'? Oops, sorry

Seventies Soulchild: They are having a free screening for the kids 11 -17 this Saturday

HistoryBuff: Say Alt. I saw "Red Tails" and found the story quite refreshing. Even if you don't go to see it, try some of the behind the scene footage on YouTuBe.

AYWalton: yes, they disagreed on her career. She wanted to continue singing religious music and he wanted her to go mainstream. I will see it eventually HistoryBuff. Howdy Ms. Selma!!!

Seventies Soulchild: Hi Selma

alt: Hello Selma... how you doing?

HistoryBuff: That will be great Sevenities. Hey Selma. How are you?

Selma: Good afternoon folks...alt, AY, History Buff and seventies

HistoryBuff: I heard tell the film was well received by the Tuskegee Airmen Assn in a private screening.

alt: I did see one clip abot the screening with the Tuskegee Airmen in Harlem. he remarked that the story line followed them in Italy quite accurately Hello daviss

Selma: Afternoon daviss

Seventies Soulchild: hi daviss! :}

daviss: hello AYWalton, alt, HB , Selma and Seventies LOL How's everyone?

AYWalton: ok SoulChile, wassup?

Seventies Soulchild: SO what I wanted to talk about is well I was browsing one of the DNA pages online and someone mentioned Afrigeneas. http://www.afrigeneas.com/welcome.html

HistoryBuff: Hey Daviss and Vkn.

Seventies Soulchild: hi vkn

daviss: ok seventies what specifically are you looking at?

alt: hello vkn

Seventies Soulchild: The vision statement was mentioned in this particular posting on facebook. OUR VISION: To find and document the last slaveholder and the first African in each family

daviss: yes! thats what I would love to do

vkn: alt AYWalton Daviss HistoryBuff Selma Seventies

AYWalton: The vision statement is on the website.

Seventies Soulchild: ok

daviss: oops

Seventies Soulchild: yes oops! lol

daviss: wb seventies

AYWalton: wb SoulChile.

alt: quite true "vision statement" & written in 1999

daviss: and some have gotten that far

Seventies Soulchild: Yes, so has the vision changed?

daviss: I would not think so I know I would want to if I would not stumble so much but I keep pushing

AYWalton: Do you feel that it has changed, SoulChile?

Seventies Soulchild: Ok let me make a point here. The mission statement is no where on the home page. You have to click on about us, which is kind of like out of the way.

daviss: Oh I see what you are saying

Seventies Soulchild: Secondly, I wouldn't have ever supposed that was the vision of AfriGeneas based on the work actually done. And records posted on the site.

AYWalton: interesting observations.

Selma: and what do you see as the work "actually" done

HistoryBuff: I second that Daviss.

vkn: Has not changed from where I sit Seventies I still hold that vision as a majority of us do though some might couch in different words. Tone remains unchanged.

alt: there is a mission statement on the Home Page... and the continuation directs one to the page Seventies Soulchild is referring.

Seventies Soulchild: Selma I'm talking about the records posted on the site.

AYWalton: do you think that we are missing something in the vision, or that our work is in contrast to the vision?

alt: isn't there a statement below the picture on the Home Page?

Seventies Soulchild: I just would love to post more and varying types of records.

Selma: Like what?

daviss: there is alt

alt: what other type record(s) would you add Seventies Soulchild?

AYWalton: Or do you mean that you have records to share, and have not known how/where to share them?

Seventies Soulchild: some of the records I've personally collected.

AYWalton: Should we make that option more visible? And easier?

daviss: thinking seven is talking easy to add

Selma: Give us an example of what you mean seventies?

Seventies Soulchild: I guess. and please remember the internet is not static, but dynamic. In the past, I've tried to upload photos to the Precious Photos section. I also have legal documents, land plats etc that I wouldn't mind uploading.

alt: aren't most of those covered under the "Records" collection button?

AYWalton: I think that we will be making uploads easier in the future. I know that some have been trying to get slave data uploads also have to be more easily done.

Seventies Soulchild: well okay. That's all I wanted to say.

AYWalton: SoulChile you mentioned that this came up on Facebook as well. What section---it is always good to have feedback and know how visitors find the site.

Selma: Was the comment on Facebook that folks found it difficult to upload items

alt: I hear you Seventies Soulchild, being able to post is a MUST feature of AfriGeneas that should be functioning ... if we base ourselves on a contributor based website.

AYWalton: and we are a community that offers data, suggestions, and assistance to each other. that is what makes us special. where on Facebook did the discussion arise, SoulChile?

Seventies Soulchild: The gb dna forum

AYWalton: the gb dna forum?

Seventies Soulchild: Your name came up AYWalton as someone being able to assist. Guinea-Bissau

AYWalton: oh that's nice, to know, thanks SoulChile

Seventies Soulchild: YW

alt: and by Post I don't mean just the Forums, but also to the various Record Collection.

AYWalton: what is the name of the group--the official name. I think I was a member before, but left.

daviss: seventies thanks for bringing that up..Its nice to know

Seventies Soulchild: I can't recall. Something like Heritage descendants of GB...

AYWalton: what is your name on FB, perhaps we can find it that way.

Seventies Soulchild: Let me get the link

AYWalton: ok

daviss: ok but then ms vkn wants to quit FB :?

AYWalton: I saw that.

Seventies Soulchild: Heritage Traced Descendants of Guinea-Bissau

AYWalton: FB does have a way of bringing forth a lot of clutter

vkn: too much for me

AYWalton: thanks SoulChile.

Seventies Soulchild: lol She doesn't want to quit, she just wants to take a break :}

alt: speaking of the Forums.... are 'moderated' Forums with a delayed posting action in the best interest of AfriGeneas? The delayed postings on 'moderated' forums causes a delay and often c

daviss: is that what it is lol not all are moderated alt

alt: cause the posting to be duplicated and then they appear twice.

AYWalton: Plus I don't like farm games and feel good quotes. I get the feeling folks are just lonely and post such things and it is frustrating to have to see it so often.

alt: Yes, I know most are 'immediate' daviss ... and that brings up the point of consistency... should they all be one or the other?

daviss: some people post the same info on more than one forum

vkn: Discuss is no longer moderated

Seventies Soulchild: I think that they double post is because sometimes users have favorite forums. Like the surnames forum and genealogy and history forum

vkn: Good question alt

Seventies Soulchild: So where would a posting or query most likely be read.

HistoryBuff: Too much activity for my attention span.

AYWalton: I have had to moderate the Afr-Native Forum for years because there are so many feather-in-their-'fro folks out there talking nonsense, creating phony tribes and silly nonsense. And occasionally there are also the Indian racial police who also feel that they can come in and spread their wings. (Pun intended)

alt: perhaps the posting on multiple Forums is a result of too many Forums... sometimes I don't know which Forum a posting actually should be posted to as the subject may cross different forums I understand AYWalton

AYWalton: alt good points, though we perhaps need to point out which forums are moderated.

vkn: lol at pun

daviss: yours is the only one I know AY and mabe Brick Wall

Seventies Soulchild: Well I need to get going. Y'all have a good day.

daviss: ok seventies have a good one

Seventies Soulchild: You too daviss

daviss: I think you will see doubles if you go in from Recent Posts alt instead of the old way

alt: I guess the question is ... at what level should AfriGeneas go in trying to accomdate all possible users/visitors? I see the solution to some of our problems mentioned as "dumbing down' the website.

AYWalton: I would not say dumbing down, but perhaps simplifying it and making some of our special niche features visible.

alt: IMHO ... 'user friendly' doens't mean accomdating every possible type of visitor/user.

AYWalton: Some folks just get to the site and have no idea where to go.

HistoryBuff: Would "dumbing down" be the same as making it more user friendly and self -directive?

AYWalton: they don't "see" the top nav bar. nav = navigation. and if you miss the drop down feature---you miss 99% of what the site offers.

HistoryBuff: Does this concept include making the site more self-navigating?

daviss: then you have to remember most folks "only" go to a certian forum

alt: doesn't every type of website 'assume' some degree of navigation capabilites by the visitor/user?

AYWalton: and they might stumble onto a forum by accident, bookmark that page and that's all they know and that's all they do.

daviss: yes

AYWalton: many have never heard of our sites on how and where to donate information.

HistoryBuff: Have a great day folks. Perhaps I'll see you tonite?

AYWalton: and in SoulChile's case, she is adding her own data on her blog, such as the Adams County MS, data she has been posting. ok HistoryBuff. have a great day!

daviss: ok HB

vkn: Well Ancestry is certainly less user friendly to me

alt: I'm not trying to be negative, but I do think visitor/users are expected to have some degree of how to navigate a website.

daviss: I can agree with that vkn

AYWalton: but there are new folks who come into genealogy every single day. I found the information that SoulChile was referencing. I shall make a screen shot and send to each of you.

vkn: Of course it is also more difficult for me to learn lots of this new stuff with my old fashioned brain

alt: perhaps genealogy true AYWalton, but not necessarily the "Net. FaceBook users is a classic example on 'Net savy.

vkn: thanx ayw

AYWalton: FB is very strange. I use the net all the time and at best I stumble through FB.

daviss: once we can get the records section where we can post and have them show up immediate it will be a big boost

alt: me and Facebook .. I'm only at the 'tip of the iceberg' in using their Apps. very true daviss ...

daviss: and work on the ones that people have sent in and put them up that may require some help

vkn: Got an urgent meeting from Emma Pres of AAHGS Atlanta

AYWalton: I have sent email to each of you. Oh really vkn? when is the urgent meeting? I hope all is ok.

alt: exactly daviss... we MUST consoldiate & promote features we already have on AfriGeneas.

vkn: http://www.fogah.org/ Not sure what it is all about as yet AYW see link

AYWalton: ok, thanks, I see it.

daviss: cutting back on services

AYWalton: looks like they have had 80% staff reduction at the SE Archives since 1982. that's a lot.

daviss: another reason to get things up

vkn: libraries and archives have big troubles

AYWalton: quite true. volunteers are desperately needed but that won't solve the problem either. there is just need for money since so many libraries have depended upon the local governments to run and now governments do not see them as essential.

alt: and websites/communities like AfriGeneas may be a saviour to Archives & Libraries for AA family history/genealogy ... at least a 'big' help in updating & perserving AA records

vkn: Relates to what alt is saying about AfriGeneas

AYWalton: good points

daviss: I shudder to think what things they do think is important

AYWalton: quite true.

vkn: and I wonder about the % of users seen by legislators in relation to fire and police ????

AYWalton: perhaps we should consider someday finding a physical home---so we can also create our own libraries---a holding place for our papers and collections, etc. that's a nice dream, I know.

vkn: A good dream

alt: is there, or could there be such a thing as a "virtual holding place/archive'.?

vkn: We also might look at finding a sponsor per forum

AYWalton: and then we could develop our own specialized collections.

vkn: About.com is sponsored by the NYTimes

daviss: I need a soda on that one lol

AYWalton: Like a Tuskeegee Airmen Genealogy/Descendants Collection, or Fisk Jubilee Genealogy/Descendant's collection, or Meharry Genealogy/Descdnedant's Collection etc. and any other group of distinction and merit and allow folks to peruse that kind of data.

vkn: I think so alt will need to look closer at "a cloud"

AYWalton: when/if/should be ever get such a "home" that would be nice. goind to run, folks. Have a great day everyone.

daviss: me too folks

vkn: u2 see 2 nite

alt: the technology is way above my 'pay grade' vkn, but in a sense isn't that what AfriGeneas has with the archived mail list dating back to 1999?

daviss: alt your turn for lights

alt: gotcha daviss... laters

daviss: bye

18 Dec 2002 :: 1 Feb 2009
Copyright © 2002-2008 by AfriGeneas. All rights reserved.
AfriGeneas ~ African Ancestored Genealogy