Try a new Ancestry.com Membership!

Domain Name Registration at GoDaddy.com 120x60

Footnote.com

Note: Please follow the link(s) on the navigation bar below to search additional messages that have been archived to conserve space. If no link is visible, no messages have been archived on this board.

2010-05-22

* * The Concierge

Start: 22:13:46
End: 22:13:46
Chatters: vicky

vicky: hello there

* SatNiteChat

Start: 21:14:08
End: 23:58:58
Chatters: 3rdthawkins, AfriVee, AYWalton, deannie, Ingrid_Doweary, jhonora, parkin24, rcs, Selma, Seventies Soulchild, sonofedd, vicky

vicky: hello third

3rdthawkins: hello vicky

vicky: hows it going?

3rdthawkins: it's going good... :)

vicky: glad to hear that

3rdthawkins: how 'bout yourself

vicky: ok for a saturday.. slept most of the day away because of some med's I took but it won't stop me from sleeping later lol

AYWalton: Good evening all.

vicky: hello parkin24 and AYWalton!

AYWalton: Hello 3rd, parkin24, Ms. Vicky! hope you are all well.

vicky: I am AY

3rdthawkins: oh..., I've been fighting allergies myself, took some Zyrtec this morning, feeling better now hello parkin and AY

parkin24: Evening, everyone

vicky: and what about you AYWalton?

AYWalton: Zrytec in the am and Benadyl in the PM. about to take my night time dose.

vicky: alergies everywhere

AYWalton: oh gracious yes. I have really bad allergies and I wake up in the middle of the night most nights---coughing when the drip starts again.

3rdthawkins: I can't even go outside

AYWalton: it does get tough this time of the year, for sure.

3rdthawkins: I decided to take a walk outisde the other way with my mother, bad idea, and then yesterday washing clothes other way-other day I literally got "sick" from being out there

AYWalton: Benadryl at night helps.

3rdthawkins: have to go look at that in the store AY

vicky: parkin24 is the smog real bad out your way. I remember when I lived in LA my eyes would burn like %@## Benadryl is good AYWalton

parkin24: Supposed to be. Stockton is the allergy capital of I guess CA It's because of the peat moss used to make the manure. The wind catches it and folks start to sneeze all over the county

vicky: I guess!

3rdthawkins: there are things in the air we can't see

parkin24: Yeah we don't wanna see 'em either

vicky: AYWalton did you tell me that you had someone that went to Wiley College?

AYWalton: no, not me, Vicky. Wiley College in TX?

vicky: yes

3rdthawkins: that's true parkin24, when the sun shines through the window, you can just see all that dust and hair floating in the air, just to thik, I'm sitting right in the midst of it, or my food is sitting right under it (when the sun is not shining)

AYWalton: 3rd the store brand will work just as well, but only take at night. It makes you sleepy.

vicky: I am trying tp remember who it was beside Ingrid

3rdthawkins: ok AY thx

AYWalton: anything with Diphenhydramine is Benadryl. same stuff they put in Dramamine for motion sickness. Same stuff. no motion sickness and sinues will be dry. and you will be sleepy. maybe it was khathu---he does TX research.

vicky: could have been

3rdthawkins: hello Seventies

Seventies Soulchild: Hello SatNiteChat!

parkin24: Evening 70s

vicky: Heyyy Seventies

Seventies Soulchild: hello 3rd, AYWalton, parkin24 and vicky!

AYWalton: hey there, SoulChile!

vicky: lol lol lol

AYWalton: vicky are you going to be online tweeting to Luckie tomorrow?

Seventies Soulchild: President Obama was great today... he arrived totally black ops... it was great

AYWalton: howdy Ms. Selma!

parkin24: Evening Selma

Seventies Soulchild: Hi Selma

vicky: well I did listen to the whole speech seventies lol

Selma: Good Saturday evening folks

AYWalton: lots of graduation ceremonies with the Obamas.

Seventies Soulchild: Good... so many black folk were there and he got a nice round of applause...

vicky: You mean for the freedom tweet AYWalton

AYWalton: I got to hear and watch Michelle Obama last week at GW's Commencement.

vicky: heyyy Selma!

3rdthawkins: hello Selma

AYWalton: then there was Hampton, and then West Point,as well.

Seventies Soulchild: Yes, West Point was nice.

AYWalton: no Vicky---she will be attending the Atlanta Chapter AAHGS mtg and will try to share with them the value of live blogging such as using Twitter for that. Twitter is actually live blogging.

Seventies Soulchild: It was a very nice day for commencement

vicky: oh ok what time is that

AYWalton: she put out a word today on Twitter to join her online so she can share with the group how it can work. The mtg is at 3pm so she hopes to be Tweeting by 3:30 or so.

vicky: I am not sure if I am going to church

AYWalton: she called you out as well. lol

vicky: ok so 12:30 here

AYWalton: probably so. howdy Deannie!

parkin24: Evening deannie

3rdthawkins: hello deannie

Seventies Soulchild: Hi deannie....

vicky: lol @ AYWalton! I will see what I can do

AYWalton: she is trying to recruit new folks into the blogging community.

vicky: hi deannie

AYWalton: so she will be tweeting AND talking about blogs.

deannie: Evening.....my computer is running a little slow.....Aywalton,parkin24,3rd, Seventies,vicky....Heyyyyyyyy

AYWalton: hope you are doing well, deannie.

deannie: Great

Selma: Who will be doing this AY..tweeting and blogging

AYWalton: How is Chi-town?

Selma: Evening deannie

AYWalton: Luckie Daniels.

deannie: And you

AYWalton: mechie77

Selma: Oh Ok

vicky: well there is a b-ball game on tomorrow so we may get out of church early lol

Seventies Soulchild: lol

AYWalton: she hope to recruit new blogers from the Atlanta AAHGS mtg. lol @ vicky

3rdthawkins: funny vicky lol

deannie: The weather is getting better...but with hot weather... Chi-town gets crazy

3rdthawkins: don't be in too much of a rush to get out vicky.......don't think they're gonna win (ducking)

vicky: you better duck 3rd

3rdthawkins: lol

Seventies Soulchild: I heard that the Moorish or whatever they call themselves are active in Chicago again.

3rdthawkins: Love to see Celtics and Lakers Finals again

Seventies Soulchild: That's retro 3rd.... lol

3rdthawkins: I know... lol

AYWalton: don't know that group, SoulChile.

deannie: Ditto....from Chicago

3rdthawkins: right now the Celtics are whipping the Magic hello Richard

deannie: Evening rcs

Seventies Soulchild: Hello rcs

parkin24: Evening rcs

Selma: Evening rcs

rcs: Good evening all

Seventies Soulchild: gotta run, but thought I'd share this with y'all. Videotaped this today. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b-CQLNEf2ao

AYWalton: thanks for sharing that, SoulChile.

Seventies Soulchild: The children and I had a wonderful day, President Obama, BBQ, Festival and ended it all with ice cream... lol Now I'm going to finish my b-day weekend celebration with my BFF

AYWalton: howdy Ingrid.

Selma: Evening Ingrid

Ingrid_Doweary: Howdy AYWalton

AYWalton: hope all is well.

Seventies Soulchild: Night all. . .

Selma: Night

Ingrid_Doweary: Hey Everyone

rcs: Hello Ingrid

3rdthawkins: fgfgfgf

Selma: What does BFF mean again...I keep forgetting

rcs: you have it backwards -- should be gfgfgfg

AYWalton: bff = Best friends forever.

rcs: BFF=best female friend

AYWalton: but what does gfgfgfgf mean?

Selma: Oh...Ok..

rcs: a mess

AYWalton: lol I guess so.

rcs: one letter over from ghghghgh

3rdthawkins: sor---RY AY and RCS, my computer screen froze, trying to (unsuccessfully) make it unfreeze

parkin24: Mine froze too.

rcs: mine freezes if I get an IM or anything besides this window

3rdthawkins: it's because of the router which I am about to change, which will make me sign in as a different user, brb

AYWalton: anything interesting genealogically?

rcs: not here

deannie: My search for the month is a great Aunt....still working on it.....

AYWalton: will be putting up a new blog post on one of my blogs.

parkin24: Lisa B Lee gave a talk on the New England Ancestors database and website at the Sacramento Pub Library. I attended and met her. She knows her stuff!

AYWalton: also be sure to check out the wonderful blog posts from the latest Carnival of Afr. Am. Genealogy.

Ingrid_Doweary: He AfriVee

AYWalton: Hello to thee, AfriVEE!!!!!!!!!!!!

AfriVee: howdy yall and evahbodddy

parkin24: Evening AfriVee Evening sonofedd

deannie: HI Afrivee

Ingrid_Doweary: He=Hey Hey Sonofedd

AYWalton: ok sonofedd you here in duplicate?

deannie: And sonofedd

sonofedd: yeah, for some reason, 3rd doesn't log out

rcs: both right brained and left brained -- full force

AYWalton: something is clogged somewhere.

sonofedd: hello afrivee don't think I got to say hey to Ingrid

AfriVee: son of edd howdy

Ingrid_Doweary: Hey there folks

AfriVee: and u 2 ingrid

parkin24: Evening Ingrid_Doweary

AYWalton: how are things down GA Way, AfriVee?

sonofedd: hello jhonora

AYWalton: hey hey hey, it's honoray!!!!! howdy jhonora!

sonofedd: speaking of GA, my nephew is graduating today ,in Waycross

parkin24: Evening jhonora

AfriVee: Going well ayw been under the hood ALL day

Ingrid_Doweary: I do have good news about a local history research project. Hey Parkin and Jhonora.

jhonora: Hey Y'all, just in from an all-day leadership retreat for my gen. society. We started at 9:00 a.m.

AYWalton: wow---a leadership retreat!!

Ingrid_Doweary: That sounds like a drag AfriVee.

AYWalton: I am impressed!!

Ingrid_Doweary: Glad to hear it, Jhonoa

AfriVee: Well ingrid somebody has to do it lol

AYWalton: what kind of news, Ingrid?

parkin24: Ingrid_Doweary what good news?

jhonora: We really ended around four, the rest was just food, wine, and running mouths

AfriVee: Share share ingrid

parkin24: I'll drink to that jhonora

AYWalton: now I like that food and wine part!

vicky: hello to all I have not seen

Ingrid_Doweary: I have been research 7 female founders of a local DC Chapter of Zeta Phi Beta Sorority, for about 5 years.

AYWalton: that's when it got going, good!!

AfriVee: okies vicky

Ingrid_Doweary: This week I finally accessed two of their photos. 2 down, five more to go.

3rdthawkins: Hello Everyone..... LOL

AYWalton: now 3rd, you hafta decide who you wanna be, tonight! you are really making progress on that project, Ingrid! that is fantastic!

vicky: that is good news Ingrid! Congrats

parkin24: Whoa Ingrid.

Ingrid_Doweary: Hey 3rd Surprisingly I located their photos in the Washington Post.

AfriVee: Grrrreatttt Ingrid. Congrats

AYWalton: Oh Vicky and Selma remember that story about the child who was making millions from her Oil land allotment? Well, the latest Crisis has an article about her.

parkin24: What year(s)?

AYWalton: Sarah Rector was her name.

jhonora: The naacp Crisi, ay??

Ingrid_Doweary: Thanks. Been researching through ProQuest all afternoon.

vicky: oh yes AYWalton, I remember

parkin24: Ingrid_Doweary in the Washington Post what years?

AYWalton: yes, Jhonora. the latest issue. turns out she was one of about 6 black children,who were millionaires, and she was the only one who kept her wealth.

parkin24: AYWalton her descendants need to be on Oprah!

Ingrid_Doweary: One was a 1980 article about DC Public Schools named after historic Black Leaders-Alain Locke, Malcolm X.

AYWalton: they others were victims of a racist system that immediatly declared them incompetent because they were minors. And their parents were poor and illiterate and their wealth was stolen literally right from under their eyes. some lived in squalor while their "guardians" lived like kings. AND two children were murdered---simply blown up into oblivion while they slept and their guardians kept their money.

AfriVee: an oft told and repeated saga ayw

AYWalton: and this is the sad part-------------most families now tied to these children have no idea that they had money---ever!

parkin24: We can imagine how the others had their wealth stolen. But how on earth did the Rector family manage to keep other's greedy paws off their millions?

Selma: When did all this take place...

AYWalton: this was all in Oklahoma between 1912 and 1920.

vicky: Is that with Standard Oil AYWalton

AYWalton: Selma, you sent me an article about 7-8 years ago about Danny Tucker and I have been trying to learn more about him then I learned about Sarah Rector this past year.

parkin24: Thanks Ingrid. My hub has a half-sibling in DC who wanted me to find out about her father. She doesn't know about her dad who lived and died in DC.

AYWalton: not sure which oil----didn't matter, most oil firms were just organizing when oil was discovered in Oklahoma.

Selma: Oh I am glad I sent you the article...I have no memory of it but I am glad I sent it to the right person.. .LOL

parkin24: Lol @ Selma

AYWalton: you found the article in a W. VA newspaper that one of your ancestors used to run.

Selma: Ah yes...he was leading a group to Liberia right?

AYWalton: and of course I kept it as the boy was from the Territory. (yes, jhonora he was a Territory Negro.) lol

Ingrid_Doweary: The other article was entitled. "Howard U Womens Club Plan Second Weekend" Afro-American Oct 29. 1955.

AYWalton: no, not that one----this was a child who was making $300 on his oil allotments. and the folks in the state just could not fathom the idea of a black child making that kind of money.

Selma: OH...OK...don't remember that one, but like I said I sent to the right one...

AYWalton: $300 a day.

parkin24: OK Ingrid. Guess I'll have to delve into ProQuest like you did

jhonora: I'm for Territory, creole, whatever, ay ... we'se be dem unique negroes.

Selma: Anyway to sue the descendents of the "guardians" for their theivery

AYWalton: I wish. but the descendants of the children---most don't even know the story. they were kept igorant of what happened. Sarah Rector got away to Kansas City. she was about 18 or 19 at the time.

Selma: Good for her...

parkin24: Uhhh that's going to be difficult even if it is proven in court. What is there to "get" by now?

AYWalton: then they tried to declare her incompetent, when the legal age swithched to 21.

Ingrid_Doweary: Parkin, does your local public library subscibe to ProQuest?

AYWalton: she finally got control of her own money. even HER own direct descendants did not know much of the story.

parkin24: I don't know. I have a lib card but haven't been to the lib in more than 4 years

AYWalton: that is why I put some of her story on my blog.

3rdthawkins: afrivee, I was wondering, would it be possible having a guuide here in Afrigeneas about source citations, etc., or do you already have something like that???

Ingrid_Doweary: Because if it does, with your valid library card, you may be able to search the historical newspaper database from home or work.

parkin24: I'll check that out on Monday Ingrid. Thx for the suggestion

AYWalton: http://african-nativeamerican.blogspot.com/2010/04/remembering-sarah-rector-creek.html

AfriVee: You mean how to cite?

3rdthawkins: that Afrivee, and also including exact information from the text

parkin24: Gotta run. There's a bowl of chili beans with my name on it LOL

Ingrid_Doweary: YW, Parkin lol

AfriVee: hmmmm prolly on the writers forum already. Lets do a seacg

3rdthawkins: I'm trying to figre a good way to put census information in the Actual Text box

AfriVee: Well if it comes from ancestry.com the citation is already there, No?

Selma: Good grief...they made a special law to make that black child white...

AYWalton: here is a good reference for using books: http://www.oberlin.edu/faculty/svolk/citation.htm

3rdthawkins: I've been using ancestry's: Birth date: birthplace residence date residence place.........is that enough or should there be more?.......I also want to change and just had one census to a whole family instead adding a census as source for each individual individually

AYWalton: Yes, Selma----did you see that.

3rdthawkins: yes Afrivee

AYWalton: and for internet citations, 3rd, this might help: http://www.rockingham.k12.va.us/rcps_cyberstart/Source_Citations.html Apparently she was at Tuskegee brielfy, but after BTWashington died they were not as focused on her care, and she returned to Oklahoma. But they went to Kansas City eventually and she got control of her wealth. The only one of the children who did. the others had it taken from them.

Selma: I say you should name all the low life guardians...I am sure their descendents benefited from the thievery..

AYWalton: and I am sure they are wealthy today. I am trying to find out more names.

deannie: Have to run.....until we chat again nite all

3rdthawkins: someone's trying to coming??? come in

AfriVee: Falling asleep at wheel. Gotta shut down for now.

3rdthawkins: good nite viee vee

AYWalton: take care AfriVee!

Ingrid_Doweary: Hey Vicky

AYWalton: brb folks.

3rdthawkins: ok AY

vicky: too late trying to get person in the Concierge

AYWalton: ok back. I think.

Selma: Yes, your back.. LOl I gotta run...talk to you all later...Nite all

vicky: I am all tuckered out myself.. I slept all day and still sleepy

Ingrid_Doweary: Sounds like you needed the rest, Vicky.

vicky: meds later folls

AYWalton: well folks are jumping ship like crazy befor you bail out jhonora, what did you do at the retreat?

jhonora: You'd think we charged by the minute

AYWalton: lol

3rdthawkins: lol

Ingrid_Doweary: lol

AYWalton: you are a hoot honoray!

jhonora: We reviewed our mission/purpose; our definition of creole; roles of board of directors and officers; our committees; our bylaws; programs; major issues, etc.

AYWalton: how many attended? and who moderated the retreat?

jhonora: About 14. It was moderated by our two founders.

AYWalton: did you all accomplish everything?

jhonora: Yeah, we accomplished a lot. We have the perenial problem of the same 14 and really the core of seven, doing everything for the group despite our nearly 300 members. perenial = perennial

AYWalton: that is the way it goes, in most organizations. is Harrison LaTour in your group? aka Mark Harrison, aka H.L. Latour aka---half a dozen more names.

jhonora: After six constant years, many are worn out. We put on a two and a half day conference every year plus at least two public programs and a journal

AYWalton: wow your group does all of that! that's fantastic! do you have a website? the conference alone should wear you out!

jhonora: I would take a rifle and shoot Latour if that fool came anywhere near us.

AYWalton: lol lol lol

jhonora: Our website is www.lacreole.org

AYWalton: he lives in Oklahoma I believe. I have just book marked your site.

Ingrid_Doweary: How long did the retreat take?

jhonora: The pre-meeting AY me wants to say "thats why" but since you're from OK they can't be all bad

AYWalton: well, I grew up on the Ark. side of the river---and I will say most are craaaaazy folks!!

jhonora: The retreat was supposed to be from 9 to 3 but we went to 4. Then clowned 'til 9. Have they updated any more info about AAhGS to their site ay?

AYWalton: us folks in Ark did not date OK boys---they were kind of rough, as my mama used to say, and crazy! who jhonora? you mean the national AAHGS?

jhonora: AAHGS ... have they added any conference info to their site?

AYWalton: well the call for papers is out. let me see if they put it up.

jhonora: I don't think I can make it this year, but I'd like to see the details.

AYWalton: Nope! their site has not been updated since 2008. which is a shame. they have a new president though so hopefully things will change.

jhonora: Dey wurkin on CP time

AYWalton: good point----being state Negroes I am sure they will get it done sooner or later. now Territory Negroes---we might not ever get it done at all. ya know we have issues in da Territory. Bein part of da Purchase and all...........

jhonora: Well, for years y'all didn't have to worry about American hustle and bustle We still sort of "mozy" ourselves, white and black alike

AYWalton: nothing wrong with mozying from time to time.

jhonora: Question: Are y'all familiar with the term "reb' timey or reb' timish"?

3rdthawkins: :? I guess if I heard it spoken

AYWalton: ??? not really.

Ingrid_Doweary: ???

AYWalton: use it in a sentence.

3rdthawkins: it is Time-ISH or TIM-Ish

jhonora: I said it to someone from away a few days ago and they were unfamiliar as well. Its Time-ISH.

3rdthawkins: ok

jhonora: It means awkward and outdated or outmoded and funny-looking. Like, "That dress is so reb' timish."

AYWalton: now if I just threw out the term directly or rather dareckly would you all pick up on that? that's a good one, jhonora, I have to use that! I like that reb timish.

jhonora: It really comes from rebel times. Meaning way back there.

3rdthawkins: that's cool

AYWalton: my grandmother used to always say she would do something dareckly--meaning doing something soon. which I eventually realized came from directly. but it never meant "right away", it actually meant "later".

3rdthawkins: I guess like when mom says dinner will be ready in a minute doesn't mean exactly a minute

AYWalton: I wondered if reb timish meant that.

3rdthawkins: could be an hour

jhonora: I say directly. Many N.O. people say "arsh potatoes" for Irish potatoes

AYWalton: oh yes... or as you say, mais yes cher lol did you grow drinking sweet milk? grow up

jhonora: No, but I know of it. My nieces liked it, I never cared for it.

AYWalton: well what did you drink? you didn't drink milk? or were you a chocolate milk child?

Ingrid_Doweary: Sweet milk? Is that like buttermilk?

AYWalton: oh not at all. Buttermilk is Buttermillk. Regular whole milk is Sweet Milk.

3rdthawkins: or were you like my brother.....can't drink milk without certain cookies

Ingrid_Doweary: lol

AYWalton: and not to be confused with Pet Milk.

Ingrid_Doweary: Gotcha, AY.

jhonora: Well yeah, I drunk regular milk. Sweet milk was always milk with sugar or rum for us. Used to go to sleep.

AYWalton: we had another milk drink----made from Pet Milk.

3rdthawkins: does eating cereal count as sweet milk? you know, pour the sugar in, and after the cereal gone, you drink the milk :

AYWalton: about a third of a glass of PetMilk, two tsp of sugar, some vanilla extract (1 tsp) and add water to fill the rest of the glass. it is delicious!

Ingrid_Doweary: lol There you go 3rd.

AYWalton: lol, no 3rd, cereal milk at the bottom of the bowl does not count.

3rdthawkins: lol ok AY lol

AYWalton: lol wel well, all that milk drinking has made me sleepy.

Ingrid_Doweary: I grew up in the city. Milk without butter, chocolate or sugar.

AYWalton: (actually it is the Benadryl) po Ingrid---city girl.

Ingrid_Doweary: I'll be taking that tonite, AY.

AYWalton: well, I lived in a small city.

jhonora: Never cared for cereal, always hot food. Shrimp & grits with panneed breakfast chaops (boneless)

AYWalton: you go one, now honoray! now THAT is a breakfast that you eat and go back to bed on! whew! heavy food!

Ingrid_Doweary: That's what I call good breakfast eating. When you're on vacation.

AYWalton: put little red eye gravy on those grits and you are good to go! Imagine that kind of breakfast and going to work on it. whew, not sure if I would be energized or feel drugged!

jhonora: It sticks to ya ribs, AY

3rdthawkins: my great grandmother use to cook sweet potatoes on the stove, my mother cooked it one nite, it was good

AYWalton: quite true!!! I can imagine! I still like a sweet potato baked.

Ingrid_Doweary: I'm sure, I'll feeel drugged.

3rdthawkins: my mother said she did it for breakfast........cut up sweet potatoes on the skillet

AYWalton: natural sweetness. i bet that was good, 3rd.

3rdthawkins: yes, it was AY

jhonora: Don't start with druggedness. My fifth cousin's great-great-uncle was committed for quote "eating morphine."

AYWalton: committed--you mean he didn't die from eating morphine? he was lucky!

Ingrid_Doweary: ???

AYWalton: but how do you eat morphine? chew up some poppies or something?

jhonora: He was sent to the East Louisiana State Mental Hospital at Jackson.

AYWalton: wow. remember in the Wizard of Oz, Dorothy falls asleep in the field of poppies. but it would have to be an awful lot I would assume.

jhonora: From what they tell me, folks grew the plant. One day I'm gon' have to ask one of my formerly experimental cousins 'bout dat.

AYWalton: but one can grow poppies in their gardens. They make pretty blooms. I have never tried to though. don't think I want to, either. don't want the neighbors sniffing around planning an interesting "dinner".

jhonora: I've been thinking about getting into raising camellias.

Ingrid_Doweary: Ready to return to my research before I get sleepy. I's been infomative folks.

AYWalton: camellias. take care Ingrid.

Ingrid_Doweary: Niters all.

AYWalton: they are pretty. they are perennials, right?

jhonora: Yes.

3rdthawkins: good nite Ingrid good nite AY and jhonora

AYWalton: nite 3rd.

jhonora: Night 3rd.

AYWalton: wonder if they sell them at the nursery. they almost look like small roses.

jhonora: We had a black nursery up the street but they closed. I'd have to go to Slidell

AYWalton: very pretty. do you have a bed that you tend? are they annuals or perennials?

jhonora: I help tend the bed in front the house. We have ferns, roses, azaleas that died, etc.

AYWalton: do they bloom after azaleas?

jhonora: Yes, they bloom after the azaleas. I still have to read more.

AYWalton: last summer I found a great way to get rid of slugs from my flower beds. BEER!

jhonora: Really? We don't really have slugs. But I'll remember that.

AYWalton: they smell the yeast in the beer and dive right in, and drown. I got some really huge ones. We have that problem here in the mid-Atlantic. we had them also in Arkansas, as I recall growing up.

jhonora: We used to have three beer breweries right here in town. They provided barley for good french bread.

AYWalton: I bet they did.

jhonora: Dixie, Regal, and Falstaff

AYWalton: BTW, one of my colleagues husband, was (or is) the heir to the old Jax beer family.

jhonora: Oh I forgot Jax

AYWalton: Jax was also brewed in New Orleans. they have all moved out of New Orleans.

jhonora: As old timers say, "the man on da horse"

AYWalton: his last name is Odenwald, and they were the Jax folks. don't know about da man on da horse. that's interesting. I remember Falstaff. My dad used to drink that. they don't make it anymore do they?

jhonora: Yes, the Jax Brewery is a nice shopping/gift center. The old people would order "Give me the man on the horse." My folks loved Jax and Schlitz. Dixie is the only one still made. Jax was for Andy Jackson, like Jackson Square.

AYWalton: ahhh ok, I got it! lol

jhonora: It had his silhouette on the horse. Well all I know is my reunion in a few weeks is at 135 people and its byob.

AYWalton: that is so funny.

jhonora: At $40.00 an adult, we are probably the cheapest reunion ever

AYWalton: that is a hoot. where will it be?

jhonora: In Klotzville, Louisiana, about ten miles from Donaldsonville, on Bayou Lafourche. See: www.creolegen.com/bayouroots and creolegen.com/reunion

AYWalton: oh yes, Bayou Lafourche. I remember your talking about that area! that is great site! did you create it?

jhonora: Yeah.

AYWalton: wow that is wonderful. you still have me thinking about creating a site or working on something for Black Catholicism in Arkansas. most of our parishes were so small and were isolated.

jhonora: Thank you. I'm still working on starting to blog. You guys have a little presented history. The CSSP archives are helpful but don't have extremely much.

AYWalton: where is their headquarters. I have been on their site before, but saw little to assist.

jhonora: Most of my info on my own parish comes from diocesan archives records. The Josephite archives is incredible.

AYWalton: plus in the Little Rock Diocese we were missions. we never had Josephites. Wish we did. Never saw a black priest or nun till I was in college. attending a Jesuit university. and now I am the only catholic left in the family. well I just learned that a distant cousin converted a few years ago. but that is not the same thing.

jhonora: It is in Bethel Park, PA. Most of our black priests were Divine Word. We had a few black Josephites.

AYWalton: Divine Word----where is that order based? In LA?

jhonora: They are based in Techny, Ill. but had seminary in Bay St. Louis. Many boys studied there starting at 12 yrs old. Including N.O. Mayor Barthelemy and four of my cousins.

AYWalton: oh wow. That's interesting! just found a photo of my 1st communion class.

jhonora: You may have heard Fr. Augustus Tolton's cause for canon. is open.

AYWalton: I might put it up on my blog one of these days. oh yes!!!! I read about that a few weeks ago, about it being discussed. interesting!

jhonora: It would be so meaningful to have a black American born in slavery as a saint. Mother Delille is moving along, she was made venerable a few weeks ago.

AYWalton: Mother Lange as well, but wasn't she born in St. Domingue? I did not know that Mother Delille was made venerable recently. I missed that.

jhonora: Lange was from St. Domingue. Delille was born free to free mother, free grandmother, freed great-grandmother, and white father.

AYWalton: that's right she was. are the Sisters of the Holy Family based in LA today?

jhonora: Were most of y'all convert families in AK or were some remnants from the French days? Did they reach out to your family?

AYWalton: the Oblate Sisters of Providence are here in Maryland. Their motherhouse is not far from where I live.

jhonora: The Holy Family Sisters are based in N.O. Beautiful 1960s era motherhouse and academy for girls on about five or six acres.

AYWalton: this is the mystery. I think my grandfather intentionally moved across the river into Arkansas so my dad and his brothers could attend St. John's. They grew up Catholic and obviously so did my brother and I. so we lived in a small black Catholic enclave. but the parish was not there long. from the early 1910s till it closed in 1967 and they integrated the parishes.

jhonora: I'm not familiar as to when you all left the native-african enclave but could it be that they had evangelized to the native people?

AYWalton: we were a small cluster of about 20 families or so, surrounded by lots of Black Baptists. no---because the african-native folks were my grandfather's folks back on the Oklahoma side of the river. He moved into Arkansas---into the Black Baptist belt and there we were a small black Catholic community. And today, most Afr.-Native families are now protestant. we were a black mission in NW Arkansas---black---yes many were mixed, but we were culturally and experientially black folks. and now the Catholic community in the town is scattered with no common base. when our parish closed, we were split between two white parishes. and now---4 decades later only a tiny number of black folks are Catholic at all. and most are not very Catholic in the old world sense.

jhonora: Bishop Fitzgerald of Little Rock seems to have begun black Catholic work in the early 1890s. Thats when the first parish was started in Jefferson County.

AYWalton: the things I grew up with are foreign to most---Holy Days, High Mass, etc. that was in Pine Bluff, I believe. there was also a black Catholic school there. with black nuns. I have discovered this in recent years.

jhonora: Black nuns, wow, what order?

AYWalton: I am interested in learning more---as we never interacted with the other parishes in the state. I THINK they were Sisters of the Holy Family. Hold on---I have a great photo to send to you. I have to find that for you. you will find it interesting, indeed. looking for it now......... found it by accident while surfing one day.. ok now I have put all of my images in folders....what would I have named the folder?

jhonora: Please do, whenever you can. Thanks. You really should right about your community. The little work done seems to focus on Pine Bluff and Little Rock.

AYWalton: I know---and there are a few things done down in the Delta! you know----now I KNOW why they sing the blues down there! there is NOTHING!

jhonora: Yeah, Sr. Thea Bowman came out of a Delta mission.

AYWalton: Bless her heart, St. Thea Bowman. Now that woman was a saint in our lifetime

jhonora: Yes, a real spiritual woman.

AYWalton: she died much too son. soon well I don't want to keep you up while I search for that photo. what is your email address?

jhonora: I get aggravated with modern black parishes that evoke her memory and that of Bishop Lykes (music). They successfully integrate "us" into the service but they don't weave in the catholicness. You have know your cathechism before you can sing and shout about it. My email is coincollector400@yahoo.com.

AYWalton: I am so glad that you said that. so much of the true meaning of Catholicism has evaporated. kind of one of the reasons that I stopped going to St. Bernadines. oh the music is great----but that is all there is. like going to an old fashioned "singing convention" that my grandma used to call them. No theology at the base, just emotion. and many don't really understand the theology at all.

jhonora: Well, I had stopped going to my church. Then tried 9:30 Mass but it just wasn't me. We still have a good bit of theology but it wasn't me, so I make the sacrifice and go to 7:00

AYWalton: Well, you are being good. I cannot profess the same devotion, and admit to being one of those lost souls. We have a Saturday Mass which is like a folks mass at the parish that I attend. The early morning mass on Sunday is better---but it's early morning---and the 10:30 service that I usually attend is like the United Nations, but its ok, I make it a good service for myself. I get their early enough to have my own quiet devotional time.

jhonora: We have no music, which is unfortunate. And all the special devotions and niceties are done at 9:30, but at least its quiet and you can meditate.

AYWalton: which is what is more important to me, as well.

jhonora: We had May crowning last week. I was raised on "Bring Flowers of the Rarest"

AYWalton: But I miss some things from earlier years, so one must make it what one can. oh wow----May crowning!!!! have not had that experience in years---decades!!!! sweet memories.

jhonora: We did it every year at my grade school, which was majority black but taught by very kind old-school Sisters of Mercy.

AYWalton: we did at my school every year---we had the one major event, and then every day at noon, in the month of May, we also crowned Mary but that was a quick 10 minute event on school days. The first of May--the MAY CROWING was a big deal Flower girls and all. found it!! gracious but it is so small when it opens up!

jhonora: One time in one of our committee meetings it came up. And members in their 70s, 60s, 50s, 40s, and teens all could sing "Bring Flowers .."

AYWalton: hmm..............have to enlarge. that is so nice we sang "oh Mary we crown Thee with Blossoms Today"

jhonora: Thats it! Same song. "Queen of the Angels, Queen of the May"

AYWalton: yes!!! you are an old soul. going to try to get a larger version of that image! found it on an Arkansas history site. I can get it another way.

jhonora: Oh wow! Those are old Holy Family Sisters. My sister was taught by them, by the time I had them the habit was completely different. They will never not wear a habit however. They say the fought too long to wear it.

AYWalton: this photo was taken about 1900. hold on, I have it a bit larger and you can see their faces. ok hold on. ok I have sent it. Hope you can see it better now.

jhonora: Oh yes, thank you. This is a great picture. Did you say they were in Pine Bluff?

AYWalton: yes, according to the Ark History Commissionl. Commission. Now do you know anything about the Sisters of Charity? they worked with blacks as well. Let me send you another one.

jhonora: I'm sharing this with all my Holy Family alums. They won't believe it. The Sisters of Charity ran our Charity Hospital, didn't know about their black apostolate.

AYWalton: ok hold on---wait till you see this one coming. ok it is on the way. This was at the Colored Industrial Institute in Pine Bluff Arkansas. the photo was in the 1890s.

jhonora: This picture is just incredible. You probably have seen Cyprian Davis' book. You've given an idea. Somebody should do a photographic history of black Catholics.

AYWalton: I don't think I have seen it, but it is ringing a bell, though. tell me about it.

jhonora: We just had a photo history of black New Orleans to come out. If New Orleans can get a photo history for each ethnic group, I'm sure we could get a nationwide black Cath. photo history.

AYWalton: would probably have to get the NBCC involved to run it.

jhonora: I'm going to investigate with the Images of America series.

AYWalton: now that sounds interesting. but of the whole country?

jhonora: I'm wondering, would there be too many to put in one book?

AYWalton: oh sure--the Gulf coast alone, then into Maryland, and small missions like my parish, and largers cities like Chicago, LA,

18 Dec 2002 :: 1 Feb 2009
Copyright © 2002-2008 by AfriGeneas. All rights reserved.
AfriGeneas ~ African Ancestored Genealogy