Try a new Ancestry.com Membership!

Domain Name Registration at GoDaddy.com 120x60

Footnote.com

Note: Please follow the link(s) on the navigation bar below to search additional messages that have been archived to conserve space. If no link is visible, no messages have been archived on this board.

2012-01-08 SunMornBrunch

*LunchBunch

Start: 10:50:23
End: 13:18:03
Chatters: alt, AYWalton, daviss, HistoryBuff, jhonora, kim, Nadasue, ProfDru, Seventies Soulchild, vkn

kim: good morning

vkn: Good morning Sorry to be missing you Kim I saw that you were in the other chat room on yesterday. Hope you will come back later. I am sipping coconut water today. Type my name when you enter and I will cease the multi tasking and return

Seventies Soulchild: good morning vkn

vkn: Howdy seventies soulchild

Seventies Soulchild: good morning alt

vkn: Howdy alt

alt: hello ladies, how are the two of you today?

Seventies Soulchild: great. How is everything going in the Thomas household?

vkn: Not bad in fact pretty good and you alt ?

alt: doing well thank you.... The Thomas household is just getting started on our day Seventies Soulchild

Seventies Soulchild: :)

vkn: Oh has the day started lol

alt: are you reviewing all of the information you collected on your vacation Seventies Soulchild?

Seventies Soulchild: no... lol

alt: any hidden gems? Oops LOL

Seventies Soulchild: Actually I didn't get as much as I wanted to. I had one of my tired spells.

vkn: Gem E Nologist

Seventies Soulchild: I just couldn't get in motion. Probably low iron.

alt: that happens... The best laid plans of man.... and woman

vkn: also of mice

alt: oh vkn is sharp this morning LOL

Seventies Soulchild: I did get some things that I needed. that's about it.

alt: well not a complete "bust' then.

vkn: lol when all else fails alt be sharp lol

Seventies Soulchild: lol vkn alt

alt: I read that Gates will have a 'new' program of celebrity DNA testees comingout in March

Seventies Soulchild: No not a complete bust. I did get to go through the microfilm for RG105 M1907 reels 39 &40 Yes I read the same. That's what I was joking about with the Johnny Depp thing.

vkn: BookTV had a great promoter of Abolitionist John Brown this morning was quite emotional and good

alt: John Legend is one of the celebrities.... I'm looking forward to that as his brother is married to a granddaughter so my great-grandchildren are in his 'genealogy'

Seventies Soulchild: ok

alt: was it a lady from Ball State vkn

vkn: No a gentleman whose name I not recall

Seventies Soulchild: You know, alt I was just going over the roster for the Unsung upcoming episodes, I did not know that Vesta Willams and Bobby Womack (Valentinos) were all from Ohio. wow! Ohio really has it going on. lol

alt: and Ihave traced the 'Legend' lines back 7 generations ... for my great-grandchildren.

Seventies Soulchild: Ok you can use his real surname alt.. lol OR I can google it.

alt: his surname is Stephens.. and his mother is a LLoyd.

Seventies Soulchild: Nice

alt: I'm interested in seeing which line the story follows.

Seventies Soulchild: Are you recording it? And did they consult you on the research?

alt: I have it on my TP site and no... I wasn't consulted LOL LOL

Seventies Soulchild: Hey! I'm sure that they went to your TP site... believe that! lol It is surprising to know who is watching your work once you put it online.

vkn: I see that Skip Gates will have a ten spart series on finding roots to begin in March

alt: now that is the truth that's the series I'm talking about vkn

vkn: oh ok

Seventies Soulchild: Its 10 parts? wow

alt: TP now has a feature that shows where people are from that visit your site... I've had visitor's from Australia, Afghanistan, India, etc.

Seventies Soulchild: Me too alt. I have feedjit

alt: interesting application

vkn: oh alt hpw and where is that feature configured

alt: just click on the 'visitor' thing at the botto of the home page vkn

vkn: ok Selma will not be here today

alt: Lil Darlin's take precedence LOL LOL

vkn: lol

Seventies Soulchild: lol of course

alt: ain't nothing wrong wid dat ... he says in ghetto LOL

vkn: Learning lots about impact of coconut water and HBP

alt: really vkn.... never put the two together, interesting.

vkn: It is also expensive

alt: oh, oh

vkn: $2.00 for 11oz

alt: is it a 1 a day type thing?

jhonora: Hello alt, Seventies, vkn!

alt: hello jhonora

vkn: Does not specify frequency alt

alt: oh, okay vkn... take it when you can afford it, huh?

vkn: howdy jhonora did you get link to Louisiana tribes and language ?

jhonora: No, I didn't

vkn: yes that cuts it down to one a day lol

Seventies Soulchild: Hello jhonora

alt: but it is working tho' vkn helping to reduce/maintain blood presure levels

vkn: jhonara could be in your trash/junk folder comes from veekayn @ gmail.com

Seventies Soulchild: ok I'm having a computer problem. I'll be back in a few.

jhonora: vkn, I just searched for it, I did not find it

vkn: hmmmmm id you get mail alt re book and aging ? Did

alt: the son of one of my best friends, now deceased, has produced a documetary 'The american addict' AmericanAddictthe movie.com Yes I did vkn...

AYWalton: Good morning, all.

vkn: whew okies alt

alt: morning AYWalton

AYWalton: Howdy alot, Greetings, VKN!!!!!!!!!!!

jhonora: Hey AYWalton

AYWalton: hey hey hey, it's honoray! Hey SoulChile!

vkn: Greetings AYW!!!!!

Seventies Soulchild: hey AYWalton

AYWalton: hope you are all doing well.

Seventies Soulchild: Doing well.

alt: Conferences... are both AAHGS and the 2nd IBGS scheduled for October 2012?

vkn: doing well with rainy weather

AYWalton: that's good. yes, alt they are. early October for AAHGS in NC and later in the month for the IBGS.

alt: that's a shame NC & Utah.. that's a lot of travel.

AYWalton: If I have to choose----I think Salt Lake city wins out!

Seventies Soulchild: I found a relative on Ancestry. sent a message and tweeted to/about them.

AYWalton: true. any response, SoulChile?

Seventies Soulchild: Not yet.

AYWalton: you thinking about presenting at IBGS jhonora?

alt: about them? Conferences?

vkn: Sad but true AYW

jhonora: Yeah, AYWalton, not sure what on

AYWalton: the deadline is February 1, so don't let it slip by.

Seventies Soulchild: Their tree fills in the mystery of who married Elijah Washington. Their surnames are Spivey and Beach. Interested in hearing from them

alt: is that for both AYWalton?

AYWalton: No, for IBGS, alt.

alt: I think AAHGS is 1 Feb also AYWalton

AYWalton: ahhh ok, then you are right. VKN how are things shaping up for the Black Belt conference in February? I mentioned it in this week's podcast!

alt: do your proposals in duplicate LOL LOL

vkn: Going small but going well ayw

AYWalton: oh that's good to know, vkn.

jhonora: The Black Belt Conference is in Selma?

AYWalton: I will be presenting in St. Louis that weekend. also I think Bernice Bennett will be in St. Louis as well.

alt: regional workshops are great and need to be better advertised and supported IMHO

vkn: BJ will have completed all scheduled treatments before then

AYWalton: you are quite right, alt.

alt: that's wonderful news on BJ

AYWalton: that's good, I think she has only 1 more to go right? that is good news for sure.

alt: we (locally) even have to do a better job of promoting our monthly meetings in news outlets... newspapers, radio, TV, stc.

vkn: yes one more, I think. She/BJ is more concerned about rear window of auto imploding

AYWalton: I saw that on facebook. that was weird. I think it is a manufacturer's design flaw. apparently there is an entire chat forum about it somewhere.

alt: heat

AYWalton: and something about the rear window defroster. there have been a few posts about it online. someone said that they actually fail to shut off.

alt: no problem with my old standby a 1998 Toyota Tercel LOL

AYWalton: wow I have not heard of that car in several years.

alt: with less than 60,000 miles on it LOL

AYWalton: and it's still rolling with so few miles on it, I can imagine! keep on pushing as they say, alt.

alt: gotta do it AYWalton LOL

AYWalton: I hear ya! alt things have finally gotten quiet, I think in the blogging world.

vkn: My 2006 schene has about 35,00 miles alt

alt: vkn, just found out that Karin Berry who writes for The Root and other outlets.... I grew up with her father & uncle her in Springfield, Ohio.. they were very good friends of mine.

vkn: Well sounds like a good thing AYW

AYWalton: I sure hope so. It was getting kind of nasty.

vkn: alt wow talk about small small world

alt: have y'all read DN's statement on AA genealogy not being 'standard genealogy" I have to agree somewhat with DN .. only in the sense that there really is a 'Standard Genealogy", but Genealogy does have Standards. is not a Standard Genealogy

daviss: hello alt, AyWalton,jhonora and vkn!

AYWalton: and with all of the citation hoopla, I am sure he has never heard of the standard academic style manuals.

alt: hello Ms Daviss

vkn: Great youngblood connection Daviss

daviss: interesting re women

alt: well, it's gotta be woman... y'all are the 'dynamics' in AA genealogy if the truth be known. Well those two and Debbie will keep him at an 'arm's length' believe me LOL

daviss: what!! I thought you were talking Tim

vkn: Wow

jhonora: These people are leaches, surviving off black material, but I must say, genealogy/historical lectures seems to be every "edumacated" negroes hobby at some point. I am surprised at some of the lectures given by "us" in this region

AYWalton: I hear ya jhonora.

vkn: Dee Woodtor and Alex Turner promoted that for years, AYW

alt: I'm betting the AA's will be critical ... or at least hoping they will be.... IGHR's reputation is at stake whether they know it or not.

AYWalton: by their quiet remarks or exchanged glances. it is something that should be done. I think Shelley Murphy has drafted some ideas, and hoping to share them soon.

jhonora: As you all have experienced, people are hesitant to critique an AA-related session, whether good or bad. They are afraid people will take it as criticism of the topic rather than the presenter.

alt: good point jhonora

AYWalton: or afraid of being called racist. there are many tracks at Samford Daviss. Each track offers 4-5 classes a day. Every 2 years the Afr. American track is offered.

alt: I've seen 'white's present on the UGRR and their presentations usually leave out the AA participation which is really a no-no in the knowledgable UGRR research community.

daviss: ok I see now so if they elimated the AA track it would still go on as usual

vkn: The same "leave out" is true of Abolitionists alt

AYWalton: and our friend is teaching 1 or 2 of those classes in the track.

alt: right vkn .

AYWalton: oh yes, daviss the AA track does not drive the Samford program.

alt: that's gotta be Tim, Shamele or Debbie shuld they chose to take on that responsibilty

vkn: Well now AYW am I hearing correctly that Frazine is retiring? or at least talking about it

AYWalton: yes she has already retired from the AL archives, and when I spoke to her on the phone back in October- she said she is ready to pass the baton for Samford.

alt: and I would think Franzine would have some input as to her successor should she decide to retire.

vkn: Yes AYW I think Frazine will give more time to the archives at Talladega. That has been her "baby" for the last ten years

daviss: Ha! alt you will but he wont

AYWalton: Yes, make him do that. He will pretend not to see you,though.

vkn: lol how dare you alt lol lol lol

daviss: hello HistoryBuff

alt: really AYWalton

vkn: HistoryBuff!!!!!

HistoryBuff: Hey Alt, AYWalton, Daviss, Jhonora and Vkn. :)

daviss: Hello Nadasue

vkn: Nadasue

Nadasue: Howdy all!

AYWalton: greetings, Nadasue---how is VA these days?

HistoryBuff: Nadasue

daviss: brb

alt: hello HistoryBuff & Nadasue

AYWalton: is it still warm and balmy down in your area? it was nice here but a bit chilly today. the brief hint of warmth has passed.

Nadasue: It's pretty nice.. I don't know about balmy, lol.

AYWalton: it was balmy here yesterday, but that is gone.

HistoryBuff: A little cooler than yesterday, but mild in the DC area.

AYWalton: it was in the low 60s yesterday.

HistoryBuff: Indeed.

alt: HistoryBuff, thanks for the compliment... much appreciated.

HistoryBuff: You are quite welcome. Trying to break out of my shy writing mode.

Nadasue: I've been in bed sleeping since I got home from church this morning. It's probably warmer out than I think. :|

alt: okay, break out & best wishes.

AYWalton: oh well a nap is a nice and cozy thing to have.

HistoryBuff: And I truly did enjoy the program.

AYWalton: you thinking about blogging HistoryBuff?

Nadasue: :) Yeah, stay up too late and then go to early service at 7:45. A nap is usually in order

HistoryBuff: Yes.

daviss: Have you started at all HistoryBuff?

AYWalton: well no need to be so shy. Just tell your own story. no one can tell your research story better than you. No one can tell how you found what you have found better than you.

HistoryBuff: No I had been thinking about blogging about those history events I attended over the past three years.

AYWalton: No one can share what you know better than you. Depends on how you present it. think of it like a conversation---your readers are your audience. You are telling them a story.

HistoryBuff: That makes all of the sense in the world.

vkn: Y'all be good

AYWalton: Maybe the story of how you got started. Something make you look up a record for the first time.

HistoryBuff: Cya Vlkn

alt: vkn, can we just be careful LOL LOL

AYWalton: you looked up the record and found someone or something you never knew you could find. You know how you felt---talk about that.

daviss: hehehehe alt, I was gonna say can't we have a little fun

HistoryBuff: Indeed. I'm sure I have quite a collection.

AYWalton: you know how the family reacted when you showed it to them. Maybe they liked it, maybe they were bored---but you are the one to share that story. maybe there is a mystery to solve.

alt: there you go daviss

HistoryBuff: of stories to share.

AYWalton: there is a lady who has a grandmother who ran away and joined Father Divine. She never came back---she updates that story from time to time. And it is a good read. we all have mysteries or funny things to share. Daviss has a great story of one of her folks who had something with a lot of pepper in it, and how she reacted---its a great story and she is the one to tell it. make your blog your outlet. why be shy?

daviss: lol my grandmother AYWalton

AYWalton: nobody is coming to your house to move in and critique you. Just tell the story!!!! that's right daviss---and what a great story it was!!!! talk about your research journey. and the best way to learn how to blog is to read other folks's blogs. there are some good ones. check out Nadasue's blog she has some beautiful stories there. check out daviss telling her story about how nervous she was when she had to give a presentation---it was funny and wittey and a great read! don't you have stories? don't say no, because I won't believe it! ok stepping down from my high horse.

Nadasue: Aw, thanks AYWalton !

AYWalton: but it's true. I find blogging to be a great outlet for me, sometimes just to state where I think I am with what I am doing.

daviss: lolhorse not high AY

AYWalton: HistoryBuff are you still there? lol @ daviss

HistoryBuff: Yes there are some good blogs to read. That reminds me, does everyone here have access to the AMC (American Movie Classics) cable channel?

AYWalton: (well I am short, daviss!) lol

alt: a subject of interest to me lately is the land offerings and dual citizenship in Africa.... any thoughts?

daviss: lol

Nadasue: Folks, do those of you who've read my first "Letter from Louisburg" have any perspective on Mr. Eaton (yet)?

daviss: I do HistoryBuff

AYWalton: several folks who travel with the DNA groups have been given it. not yet, it is one of my things to revisit Nadasue. yes I have the channel HistoryBuff. so I hope you do start blogging HistoryBuff.

alt: I'll have to read it Nadasue ..

daviss: Nadasue I also will revisit your blog

Nadasue: alt I just read that yesterday. I thought it was interesting, but just wondered if the folks will actually do anything with the land, or if it will just sit there undeveloped

AYWalton: Nadasue what surprised me was that he actually wrote to Gen. Howard!

Nadasue: Thanks. Maybe next Sunday, or on Tuesday night we can chat about it then. Letter #2 is ready to be posted tomorrow.

AYWalton: I mean how many people did that!! oh that's great! that is a great letter though and quite insightful.

Nadasue: AYWalton Yep. He wrote to a whole LOT of folks.

HistoryBuff: Yes, I was trying to line up my source data. There is an interesting series on it's two episodes for the season. It's called "Hel[p] on Wheels" on the AMC-TV: http://www.amctv.com/shows/

AYWalton: you must have been suprised to have found that letter, Nadasue!

HistoryBuff: Replace the 'p' for another 'l'.

AYWalton: replace what p?

HistoryBuff: What is the link to your blog, Nadasue?

daviss: oh Hell on wheels

AYWalton: ahhh ok. oh it about a confederate?

Nadasue: Here is the link for those who don't what we're talking about http://justthinking130.blogspot.com/2012/01/amanuesis-monday-letters-from-louisburg.html

alt: okay thanks Nadasue

AYWalton: I might pass on that one. There are enough stories about that side---I am committed to telling the story of the black soldiers and the contrabands. So are you going to do a blog HistoryBuff? You should consider it. if you have a neat document you can put it on your site like Nadasue did.

HistoryBuff: Thanks Nadasue. AYWalton, the stories is set in 1865 on the backdrop of the construction of the Union Pacific Railrod.

Nadasue: Well, AYWalton I was actually searching the files for any mention of my g-grandfather, who was a teacher after emancipation - thinking he probably was hired by the Freedman's Bureau

HistoryBuff: I see your point AYWalton.

AYWalton: what a treat to find that, though, Nadasue.

Nadasue: Yes, it was. Now I feel like I need to go back and copy the ones that I read, but left behind

HistoryBuff: Indeed. That's good for you, AY.

daviss: what was ggrands name Nada

Nadasue: Guess I'll do it on my next trip up to DC to visit my daughter

AYWalton: kind of like watching Gone With the Wind. That is nothing but a slave holder's love story.

Nadasue: Calvin Yarborough

AYWalton: so what do you think you will use as your focus of your blog HistoryBuff? a family line, or your journey to find things, or a community story?

alt: Yarborough's from NC or AL Nadasue?

HistoryBuff: Well I'm going to have to narrow down my focus.

Nadasue: NC... Franklin County - Louisburg

AYWalton: you can be a wide or as narrow as you make it.

Nadasue: alt You should follow my blog! :)

AYWalton: You can simply document your journey. One day it might be research another day it might be what it

HistoryBuff: I can start with the genealogy finds for my husband's family since I have now located two USCT ancestors.

AYWalton: what it is like to be a docent at the Civil War Museum.

alt: Okay, I have collateral relatives by that surname from both NC & AL.... rpobably originate from the same family lines.

AYWalton: you can do ANYTHING. Just write!!

daviss: sheesh HistoryBuff that is a goldmine there

HistoryBuff: I can also go with my census records journey for my father-in-law's family as well.

AYWalton: Yarborough, I have to ask my friend Argyie who also shares some of your lines in NC, Nadasue. you sure can, HistoryBuff.

alt: AL folks from Athens, Limestone Co., AL with some migrating to Ohio in the very early 1900's.

HistoryBuff: Thank you for the encouragement folks. I'm working on it.

AYWalton: oh Limestone County AL?

alt: yep AYWalton

AYWalton: You are getting close to my Bass folks and the Redus line I research.

Nadasue: alt It's possible, but it's a maybe, maybe not thing. Yarborough is a common name in NC, and very concentrated in Franklin County. My Calvin took the name of his last owner, but wasn't originally a Yarborough slave. We don't have Yarborough blood. But, the other Yarboroughs are on my tree via marriage. :)

AYWalton: I am not a Redus, but have researched that line.

alt: okay AYWalton

Nadasue: Yes, AYWalton I've mentioned the Bass family to you before. I also have them on my tree as collateral... :)

AYWalton: these were free people though right? mine were enslaved in TN.

Nadasue: I'm coming to the realization that my Calvin was probably one of those slaves who was sold away from his family, or they away from him. My dna connections through that line are all people who don't have a clue where there enslaved ancestor came from, and everyone's history is a mystery.

alt: if I remember correctly from censu records the AL Yarborough's indicate NC roots for birthplace of parents.

Nadasue: And they are all scattered in different southern states

AYWalton: that is interesting.

Nadasue: AYWalton No, they weren't free. You are thinking of the Dunstans. They were FPOC.

AYWalton: ahhh ok. that's right the Dunstans were free.

Nadasue: alt Please check out my blog and you can also take a look at this tree http://wwwtribalpages.com/tribes/nadasue

AYWalton: ok will do.

alt: okay... another Tribalpages user .. YEAH!!!!!!!!

Nadasue: If you email me, I'll send you an invite to my tree on a.com yarsan@aol.com

AYWalton: yes, feel free to do that. what part exactly of NC.

Nadasue: Yep, been on TP for years! Louisburg - Franklin County

AYWalton: I know that my Bass slave holder had possibly NC roots, but I have no idea where.

daviss: If you have no clue what county in another state your folks are from, and there is no same name (white) in your area 10 pages back and front, how do you find a possible county

Nadasue: Angela I might be able to help you with that. (Imagine me, helping YOU!) :)

alt: my TP site... "Art's Families & Other Folk"

AYWalton: lol we all help each other, which is what we do, here.

HistoryBuff: We lost a cousin yesterday morning in the Chicago area. I just saw him at my Dad's B0day party.

daviss: if I am making myself clear

Nadasue: daviss I don't understand the ?

HistoryBuff: Hey ProfDru.

daviss: Hello ProfDru

Nadasue: Hey ProfDru!

alt: hello ProfDru

AYWalton: daviss, you do have to analyze the population trhat lves nearby. ProfDru is in the house!

Nadasue: daviss Are you saying you have a state, but not a county or city?

ProfDru: howdy gang

alt: and in more than 1 census year

daviss: I am looking for a county of origin that is in another state

AYWalton: what county, daviss?

Nadasue: HistoryBuff Sorry for your loss.

AYWalton: we wil have to explore the NC angle sometimes for sure.

daviss: I have looked 10 pages forwards and backwards for a person that is white who may be possible owners

alt: yes, my sympathy & condolences HistoruBuff

ProfDru: I'm working on a program for next month on church hats. Do any of you have photos of yourself or ancestors wearing church hats?

AYWalton: yes, sorry to hear about your loss HistoryBuff. Was the cousin ill?

daviss: and that came from the state the census said my folks were born

AYWalton: not a great close up photo, ProfDru.

alt: I'll send you a couple of good one's ProfDru

Nadasue: ProfDru I haven't "graduated" to wearing church hats yet, but I might have one of my aunt

HistoryBuff: Thanks Nadasue. I was just telling my husband that this makes two cousins in their senior years who I interviewed in 2010 who have now passed on.

daviss: My condolences HistoryBuff also

ProfDru: One of the things I'm preparing is a PowerPoint of photos of "hat queens". I will also be displaying my grandmother's hats at this program.

HistoryBuff: Thank you, It appears that I interviewed them in time. That sounds wonderful, ProfDru.

alt: the mother-in-law of one of my son's is a 'church hat wearing mama' LOL

AYWalton: So looking forward to hearing about your blog HistoryBuff. It is your story to tell.

Nadasue: ProfDru Wish I had pictures of my first lady. Sister Harris can WEAR some hats!!!

alt: mtter of fact she 'makes' hats

AYWalton: I better run, folks.

HistoryBuff: lol Cya AYWalton.

Nadasue: ByeHistoryBuff

AYWalton: have a good day.

alt: bye

Nadasue: Ooops I mean AYWalton

ProfDru: You can send photos to professordru@yahoo.com. Please include name of woman, birth year, death year, and location of where she live. I will also be creating a website on church hats.

Nadasue: ProfDru When/Where will your program be?

ProfDru: What church is that, Nadasue?

Nadasue: First Baptist Denbigh

ProfDru: Saturday, Feb. 18th, 3-5, Newsome House Is Sis. Harris still living?

Nadasue: Sounds good. Yes, very much so!

alt: might not be wise to give out too much personal inforamtion on the 'hat wearer' ProfDru

ProfDru: How much info would you recommend, alt?

Nadasue: I might have some pics of her. I know of one for sure where my daughter was playing for her, but it is from behind. I will look through my pics. (I do pics for the church web site)

alt: if you're going to put that information on the Internet...

Nadasue: alt I think if the person is deceased, it is fine. If the person is living, she might just need to get permission.

alt: dunno.... perhaps name & location w/no dates, etc. right Nadasue, permission to post was my concern

daviss: well folks gotta go back to doing what I do lol have fun and talk to you on Monday

Nadasue: Yeah, I'm heading out too. Have a blessed day, all.

alt: me too daviss .. anita has some 'honey-do's I'd better get to LOL

ProfDru: gotta run. Adios.

HistoryBuff: Well Jhonora how's it going with you?

18 Dec 2002 :: 1 Feb 2009
Copyright © 2002-2008 by AfriGeneas. All rights reserved.
AfriGeneas ~ African Ancestored Genealogy