Try a new Ancestry.com Membership!

Domain Name Registration at GoDaddy.com 120x60

Footnote.com

Note: Please follow the link(s) on the navigation bar below to search additional messages that have been archived to conserve space. If no link is visible, no messages have been archived on this board.

2011-12-10 Great Job Khathu!

*SatNiteChat

Start: 21:23:10
End: 22:20:10
Chatters: bbenn, Daviss, deannie, Khathu, Selma, Seventies Soulchild

Khathu: Hello Daviss

Daviss: whoa Khathu are you here all alone how are you?

Khathu: i'm well

Daviss: hi there Selma!

Selma: Good friday evening Daviss and Khathu

Khathu: just warming up the room for everyone :) Hello Selma

Daviss: I guess khathu lol

Khathu: Did you get a chance to listen to the blogradio on Thursday

Selma: Khathu...you did a great job the other night...when is PartII

Daviss: That was a nice session on Blog radio khathu

Khathu: I think December 29

Selma: Oh good..remember to send reminders.. LOL

Daviss: I have to remember that date

Khathu: I need to work with Bernice on the format She will send out a reminder

Selma: You know we can't remember Daviss...Khathu will remind us

Daviss: lol

Khathu: Hello Seventies

Daviss: hi seventies

Seventies Soulchild: hello Khathu, Daviss, Selma

Selma: Evening Khathu Ooops..meant Evening seventies

Seventies Soulchild: lol hi Selma

Daviss: Will the second part also be on Slave research in Texas or will you be going into other states I saw that you touched on a relative in SC

Khathu: The strategies were for any state my examples included the state of Texas

deannie: evening

Khathu: Not sure if the format will be Q&A or me talking about the resources available for researching the slaveholding family

Selma: Good evening deannie

Khathu: Hello deannie

deannie: hi daviss,khathu,selma,seventies

Seventies Soulchild: hi deannie

Daviss: Hi there deannie In fact Khathui after the show, I went and pulled out the papers where my gggrand bought his land

Khathu: when was the land purchased?

Daviss: This guy that owned the land had over 25000 acres He lived in Marion County Oh this one portion that I looked at was bought in 98

Khathu: i would definitely research the individual to see if your ancestor had other interactions with him

Seventies Soulchild: Texas, Daviss?

Daviss: He made several purchases that ended up over 300 acres yes seventies

Selma: Did this same person sell other portions of his land to other black families?

Daviss: Interstate 20 goes straight through his property on the way to Shreveport yeah another Taylor who claims we are no relation lol

Seventies Soulchild: Hmmm interesting. well I made an interesting unexpected find today on Ancestry.

deannie: do tell

Daviss: I wish I could get a direct male on that Taylor line to submit to a DNA test

Seventies Soulchild: My ancestor Charles Rounds Jr's Military 'death' certificate.

deannie: great

Seventies Soulchild: Ancestry put his entire service record online

deannie: did you find in an fold3

Daviss: That is a wonderful find Seventies, Congrats

deannie: in=it

Seventies Soulchild: Thanks Daviss. deannie, it was updated on Ancestry.

Selma: When did he die?

deannie: Ok

Seventies Soulchild: He died August 1863 while in service

deannie: hi bbenn

bbenn: Hello Everyone!

deannie: ok

Selma: Evening bbenn

Seventies Soulchild: The only records that I have on this person are in a slave inventory and his USCT records.

Khathu: hello bbenn

Selma: Is this the one with the Pension file? oops

bbenn: Hi Khatu Khatu, great job on Thursday night! Folks want you back!

Seventies Soulchild: Yes he has a pension fil Selma. His mother filed and successfully received a pension for him.

Selma: Ok... We were just talking about him bben

Seventies Soulchild: His slave name was "Chism"... but he changed it upon enlisting in the USCT.

Selma: We asked when was Part 2

bbenn: Waiting for Khatu to give me a date when he is available.. I am booking for guests for March and April right now! Anyone interested in coming on the show?

Selma: I might be..

Daviss: Selma that would be wonderful!!!!

bbenn: Selma, let's talk...I would love to have you on the show.

Khathu: December 29 will be fine.

Seventies Soulchild: Yes it would be. Would love to hear Selma talk about Virginia.

bbenn: Great, I will schedule immediately and get the word out to everyone!

Selma: Ok great... Let me get thru Xmas and New Year's

Seventies Soulchild: The name of the episode would be "All Roads lead to Virginia" :}

Khathu: I will call you later in the week to talk about the format

bbenn: I am looking for someone with expertise in Mississippi and Alabama genealogy.

Khathu: Thats a great title Daviss

Selma: I am hysteria mode at this point..gotta start shopping

bbenn: Ok Khatu:}

Daviss: that was & but nonetheless Seventies you do Mississippi

bbenn: Seventies, please consider - ok?

Seventies Soulchild: Yes I do Mississippi research... but not an expert. What about Sharon Morgan or Angela

Selma: I was thinking of focusing on FB RG 105..

deannie: I will talk to Janice Forte' she's in the AAGHsc and Alabama is her state

Daviss: Oh that would be a good one also Selma

bbenn: FB RG 105 is also a good topic to share with the listeners.

Selma: Va fb rg 105

bbenn: Sharon is coming back on the show soon...

Seventies Soulchild: ok good. What about vkn? Let me check my list... brb

Daviss: who is Sharon

bbenn: I would love to have vkn on the show...we talked when I first started the show.

Daviss: oh never minf bbenn'

Selma: VKN...could give a history of AfriGeneas..and its evolution

Seventies Soulchild: Ed Adams is another name that comes to mind... Nadia Orton

bbenn: Sharon has a website black ancestry...she was a guest in one of my earlier shows. I actually asked her to consider discussing AfriGeneas.

Khathu: Maybe you can get alt to talk about his research in Ohio with free people of colour

bbenn: I welcome anyone who is interested in sharing with others. That is one of the reasons I am doing the show.

Selma: That would be great...on alt

bbenn: So many wonderful, talented folks doing research and it is just and opportunity to expand our networking....

Khathu: the research is fantastic and very interesting

bbenn: I need a contact number for him.. Hey - alt is scheduled for Jan. 5th

Khathu: Daviss - the Dallas African American is interested in me presenting at one of their meetings this was a result of the blogradio appears

bbenn: Check out my schedule for upcoming shows - www.blogtalkradio.com/bernicebennett

Daviss: That would be good Khathu. I think Lynda Mathews belongs to that group

Khathu: Robyn Smith will be good for court records yes, it will be interesting to do a presentation in front of Texas researchers

bbenn: I already contacted Robyn... I truly enjoyed her class.

Khathu: I see that Seventies is experiencing some technical difficulties

bbenn: I love doing research in Dallas.

Seventies Soulchild: Yes I am.. don't know why?

Daviss: shhhhhh khathu or I will be next

Selma: Mariah ...?

Daviss: yep!! lol

Seventies Soulchild: smh lol

Selma: Ooops shouldn't have typed her name

Daviss: eeek!!

bbenn: Daviss, I want you on the show:}

Daviss: Ha!! you want it to stay on the air don't you?

bbenn: it's not so bad...just get ready to talk and share what you know. Yes8) 8)

Daviss: lol

Seventies Soulchild: Daviss, don't you know anything?? :}

bbenn: Are any of you identifying relatives as a result of your 23andme test?

Daviss: you are being messy

Seventies Soulchild: Speaking of messy. I am still trying to work out this James Galmore mess. I need more documentation.

Daviss: bbenn do you know anyone that is an expert on Cemeteries

Khathu: what is the mess Seventies

bbenn: I have a speaker in March who is working on cemetery preservations from Missouri..

Daviss: oh ok thx

Seventies Soulchild: James Galmore was declared 'dead' in March 1864 and his wife recieved his bounty. Yet his service record shows him present for duty up through 1865

bbenn: Her focus in on black cemeteries.

Daviss: There has been quite a few unearthed here lately

Seventies Soulchild: All the records that I have say so. I think that he may have been given to another unit out of Louisiana. So I'm going to have to research them too.

Selma: When did she receive his bounty

Daviss: Well I have to run folks..take care and be blessed

Seventies Soulchild: bye Daviss

Khathu: All of the records state what?

Seventies Soulchild: In 1867 is when she applied. Let me get the dates. I believe in 1879 she recieved 1 of 2 bounty payments.

Khathu: Seventies have you been able to identifiy the last slaveholding families for any of your Mississippi ancestors?

Seventies Soulchild: 1867 and 1871 were the years she received her bounty payments. Actually yes. There is quite a bit of existing research on the family dating back to the early 1800's in public records They didn't take the surname of their slaveholding family. The last known slaveholder of my Rounds, was a Dr. William Mercer. He inherited the family from his wife and father in law Ann Eliza Farrar. And the family had been owned by them for at least 3 generations.

Selma: Could the service record be wrong, She got his bounty so he did serve

Khathu: but have you been able to connect your family to the slave holding family

Seventies Soulchild: Yes, Khathu

Khathu: cool...we need to talk were there any unique record sets you used to confirm this?

Seventies Soulchild: The former slave owner's overseer is who helped them acquire the family property, in MS

Selma: How did he help?

Seventies Soulchild: Well this family owned several properties, so they had inventories with names, ages and values for several years. Also when this Mercer hired a 'manager' they thoroughly documented all of the slaves and familial relationships. Like a little genealogical record. the overseer, Shields sold the land to my ggg grandparents. Shields ended up purchasing several plantations after the CW when the owners could no longer afford their properties.

Khathu: so you were able to access planter's records

bbenn: Good night everybody! Nice chatting!

Seventies Soulchild: Yes they are housed at LSU and at the city historical society. Donated by the slaveholding family. nite bbenn

Khathu: cool.....we definitely need to talk

Seventies Soulchild: ok

Selma: Good night folks...

Seventies Soulchild: Nite Selma

Khathu: well good night seventies orrow

Seventies Soulchild: Nite Khathu...

Khathu: tomorrow

18 Dec 2002 :: 1 Feb 2009
Copyright © 2002-2008 by AfriGeneas. All rights reserved.
AfriGeneas ~ African Ancestored Genealogy