Try a new Ancestry.com Membership!

Domain Name Registration at GoDaddy.com 120x60

Footnote.com

Note: Please follow the link(s) on the navigation bar below to search additional messages that have been archived to conserve space. If no link is visible, no messages have been archived on this board.

2011-12-08 Manumissions • Migration

*LunchBunch

Start: 12:02:51
End: 13:21:42
Chatters: alt, Daviss, HistoryBuff, Selma, Seventies Soulchild, vicjorob, vkn

alt: Hello ...... thought I arrive early today so I can get a good seat... LOL LOL

Selma: Good Thursday afternoon alt...I see you have the Best (and only) seat in the house.. LOL

alt: Hello Selma .. how ya doing today?

Selma: Doing OK...we have our Holiday Pot Luck tonight at the library, so trying to get the stuff together

alt: whatcha fixin'?

Selma: I let everyone else do "fixins"..since I usually get the chicken, drinks, etc... LOL

alt: chicken's good LOL LOL

Selma: I usually do sweet potatoes but my oven is still out..getting a new one next week Yes it is especially from Farm Fresh in my neighborhood Tonight and then another meeting on Saturday..and I am done meeting out until January...I need a break I have to regroup

alt: yeah, we're through until January too. good time to do some research

Selma: Actually our genealogy group doesn't meet in Jan..weather is usually kinda iffy around then

Daviss: hello you two!!

Selma: Mornin daviss

alt: Hello Daviss .. how ya doing today?

Daviss: brrrrrrrr

alt: Hi vkn,,, how be's ya?

vicjorob: Hello all

Daviss: I am trying to warm up lol

Selma: BRB...phone call

Daviss: hello vicjorob and vkn!

vkn: Good howdy 2 qll of we all

Daviss: good howdy to you also

vkn: I be cold alt bout 29 here

Seventies Soulchild: Hello lunchbunchers!

alt: hello Seventies Soulchild... how you doing?

Seventies Soulchild: alt, Daviss, Selma vicjorob and vkn Doing well alt.

alt: and vicjorob

Daviss: I was looking at the forum regarding those post cards. I have seen several in one of my cousins belongings but had no authorization to take them.. I asked though lol

vkn: Selma alt Daviss Seventies vicjorob

Daviss: hello Seventies I was trying to keep them from being thrown out

Seventies Soulchild: :} I wish I had the post card of my uncle during WW II at the beach, I think it was in Europe somewhere. Of course when my grandmother passed, everything was 'disappeared'. insert rolling eyes lol

Daviss: These postcards were also taken during the war. However it was not my ancestor, it was a cousins thru her marriage They had at least 5 or so I have been pondering on emailing and asking again if I could have them

alt: can't hurt to ask Daviss ... good luck

Daviss: On my other side, I got a ration coupon

vkn: Can't hurt daviss

alt: those types of memoribilia are true treasures.

Selma: Afternoon Seventies, vicjorob and vkn

Seventies Soulchild: Hey Selma

Daviss: my great aunt and uncles coupon book had their physical description

Selma: A friend of mine had a group photo of her step father's unit in France..

vicjorob: wb selma

Selma: and his hat BRB again...

alt: I lost a big photo of my grandfather. grandmother and my mother sitting on her lap and he was standing beside them in a WW I Army uniform. it hung on a living room wall at an aunt of mine and when she passed the picture disappeared.

Seventies Soulchild: So last night, I started some census research on my town.. I was pleasantly surprised to find a sizable number of AA's in the area. I started with the 1900 census...

vkn: very very commendable seventies "May your tribe increase"

Daviss: brb phone call

Seventies Soulchild: Thanks vkn. Just looking at the census, it seems that many came here through the military and displaced the native NYers who had been born here during slavery.

alt: what year did your folk first show up in NY in the census Seventies Soulchild?

vkn: http://www.afrigeneas.com/chat/chatlogs.cgi vicjorob chat logs are here

Seventies Soulchild: My family didn't move to NY until the 1950's... I'm doing a historical survey.

alt: oh, okay Seventies Soulchild

Seventies Soulchild: There is a whole lot of people who came here by joining the military and made history. And I haven't seen anyone write or discuss this topic as of yet.

alt: vicjorob.. do you any connection to the Cordell's in Gallia Co., OH?

Seventies Soulchild: I'm referring to the servants, stable boys and enlisted people.

Daviss: ok back reading back seventies, it looks like you have the workings for a blog or book

vkn: See the Commendo post on surnames.Found African types born in Greece, Germany and Prussia and Puerto Rica but not the first name.

vicjorob: Speaking of photos, I have three large "crayola" photograohs dating from about 1890-1900. I rescued them from my father's dry Utah basement who rescued them from his uncle's humid St. Louis Unfortunately, two are drying up and one is starting to crumble. They are the oval curved kind. I need someone to restore or conserve the crumbling one.

alt: do you have Hayden's there at WP during your period of research Seventies Soulchild?

vicjorob: vkn - thanks for the chat log info

vkn: yassum

Seventies Soulchild: I haven't really looked in depth yet alt. But I will let you know. I want to interview my neighbor Sanders Matthews of GA who came here with Buffalo Soldiers during WW II.

vkn: Try George Geder vicjorob for restoration

Seventies Soulchild: I really wish that I had started this a while back.

Selma: vkn..seemed like that Commendo name was from the 1500's...is he trying to work his way forward?

alt: Okay Seventies Soulchild, I did some work for the Hayden family who worked at the Academy and also a fellow named Ed Long who was there in that area for years... Ed was a 'Buffalo Soldier" Igues he served during WW II with the 92nd (?).

Seventies Soulchild: There were some people living around 2005 and 06 that would've been of great assistance in gathering the history.

vkn: lol I suggested he come and chat with the experts Selma

vicjorob: alt -- the only Gallia names I have are Stewart and Liggens. I know a Melinda Viney married Isaac Liggens. The couple later moved to Coshocton and were very prominent. In 1880. as a 9-year old boy Isaac lived with my 2 great grandmother Susan Stewart Goss Mason Alexander.

Seventies Soulchild: alt, ok I will write his name down...

Daviss: I saw the post on Commendo vkn. How much work had they done on that

Selma: I noticed.. LOL

vicjorob: vkn -- thanks will try Mr. Geder

Seventies Soulchild: I will be sure to ask Mr. Matthews.

Daviss: hmm Is Long in Ohio alt?

alt: Viney... that's a popular name in this area vicjorob and they came from the Gallia, PIke, Jackson county area. he was Daviss ... he is deceased now.

Seventies Soulchild: Additionally, alt, I am really looking to research the history of the Town of Highlands but I know that I will have to cover West Point to a certain extent.

vicjorob: alt - well fortunately or not, Viney is a married into a collateral line kind of connection.

alt: Ed was a founding member of our group AAGGMV.

Seventies Soulchild: alt, Hayden and Ed Long were both with the 92nd?

vkn: Yes selma I thought the year 1500 was a bit much particularly for a beginner

Daviss: oh ok. I asked because there was a guy here with that name, and he was an x soldier. he ran a boot camp with the name Buffalo Soldiers Boot Camp for Youth

Seventies Soulchild: Also, I am still working on our Major here to get Bennie McRae for Black History Month.

Daviss: troubled youth

Seventies Soulchild: I'm going to bother him until he gets him! lol

Selma: That would be great Seventies

alt: Seventies Soulchild the Hayden's were married in Highland Fall, Putnam co., NY abt 1941=1942

Seventies Soulchild: It would be great to see some black faces who are experts on black history, huh? Oh okay, that's my town Highland falls, NY.

Daviss: would be nice 7

Seventies Soulchild: Its in Orange County. Hmm I wonder who married them???

vicjorob: Seventies Soulchild :)

vkn: What about Harry Matthews Seventies or Denise Oliver Velez

Seventies Soulchild: Yes now you know.. lol

alt: okay thanks I have it in the wrong county... correction time LOL LOL

Seventies Soulchild: No problem. We are almost at the county line between Rockland and Putnam.... its a strange combination.

alt: there might be a Hayden/Eichelberger marrige recorde there in that county Seventies Soulchild ... FYI, they are people of color.

Seventies Soulchild: People can't get marriage licenses through West Point, they had to go through Highland Falls, Town of Highlands before then back in the old days.

Daviss: shots fired at Va Tech Selma

Selma: Would you listen to her..back in the old days..1940's... LOL

Seventies Soulchild: You know Hayden & Eichelberger are both the names of Army Generals & streets in WP

Selma: VA tech..you mean right now daviss?

Daviss: yes

alt: is that right.. Wow!!!

Seventies Soulchild: No I meant back in the old days about 1900 - 1920 Selma.. lol Yes

Daviss: just came across on MSNBC

Selma: Oh the Old, Old days.. LOL

Seventies Soulchild: That's what I said! lol lol lol

Daviss: lol whew

Selma: I am almost afraid to turn my TV on..

Seventies Soulchild: Before that Town of Highlands used to be part of Cornwall, NY Nothing but farms and such out here.

vicjorob: Selma -- I know. And I have a child at college in Petersburg and I have to hope that it doesn't go any further.

alt: it would be a Lloyd Daniel Hayden & MIldred Eichelberger getting married there Seventies Soulchild they had 3 children born at West Pont (?) Lloyd, Jr., Richard 7 Janet Hayden 1942-1944

Seventies Soulchild: Ok alt, I will definitely be looking that up. If I need any further info can I shoot you a message?

alt: sure can Seventies Soulchild

Seventies Soulchild: There were so many black people that came here through the Army and looking for work that this research should be so interesting.

alt: ah, the value of a community database LOL LOL LOL

Seventies Soulchild: yep! lol

vicjorob: alt So true.

vkn: soooo true

Seventies Soulchild: ok brb. Going to get some more cake.. lol

Daviss: sheesh

vicjorob: vkn - speaking of community database, how would you like me to provide the manumissions for Loudoun County VA from early 1820s to 1861? vkn- by provide, I mean what format? where to host it?, etc.

Selma: VA tech is now our local breaking news daviss..students are on lock down

Daviss: listening now Selma

vkn: jorob you inquired of crystal simmons yesterday. Well she is still around but has an additional last name also Saundra Oliver Brown is still around, vicjorob

vicjorob: vkn -- Crystal got married? wonderful news. And good to see that Saundra is still around.

alt: vicjorob.. would you check for Loudoun manumission for Cleveland & Elliott (sp)... they migrated to Urbana, Ohio following freedom .... JOhn Clevlenad & Sarah "Sallie" Elliott.

vicjorob: I have so wanted to go to the NGS conferences in the past few years but I have a national advisory meeting that I do that meets around the same time. Just can't seem to take off work. I see that 2012 is going to be in Cincinnati. Anybody planning to go?

Daviss: not I vicjorob

alt: I'll be there vicjorob

vkn: Will send you email address for Crystal also need to speak on land line about uploading the data. Do I recall correctly that you are the MSQL expert ?

vicjorob: alt - will do. I will check when I get home. Do me a favor and send me their info to my e-mail: vicjorob@msn.com. Thanks.

alt: they're on my Tribal Pages website vicjorob, but I can still send if you want it.

vicjorob: vkn -- Thanks. But oh, no. Not a MSQL expert but I have a coworker who knows MySQL et al. But yes, let's talk.

alt: John, Sarah & their 8 children vicjorob

vicjorob: alt - yes, send if you can. E-mail is a great reminder.

vkn: MYSQL is the database platform on the AfriGeneas server vicjorob

alt: Okay vicjorob, will send you an email reminder

vicjorob: vkn - okay. So you guys use MySQL not MSQL (i.e., mini SQL)?

vkn: daviss i made an announce on talking bout blog radio tonight MY is correct

Daviss: ok vkn and I did post on Calendar

alt: was hoping AYWalton would show up..... wanted to ask her about her 23andme relative finder 'cousins'.

vkn: grrrrrrrrreattttt

vicjorob: vkn - okay. I will chat with my coworker

vkn: so what was that mail from 23 and me all about ? Thanx muchly vicjorob

alt: AYWalton & Mel Collier are genealogical paper trail cousin's. He tested with 23andme and has his 'cousin' list.. wanted to see if AYWalton was on it and what 'cousin' it stated.

vkn: I think they share BASS from Mississippi alt

alt: or she on his RF listing

vkn: or BARR

vicjorob: Alt- the Loudoun manumissions numbe about 1600. I transcribed the full set from 1844-1861 since that is the only extant manumission book. I had to recreate the ones from 1820 to 1844 from court orders so it will not reflect only new manumissions but will not include the personal descriptions, nor will the database reflect recertifications required by law.

alt: Yes vkn.. and that realtionship should be close enough to appear on the RF matches.

Selma: Thats wonderful vicjorob

vicjorob: How many of you have done DNA testing?

alt: okay vicjorob .. thanks....

vkn: truly wonderful vicjorob

Daviss: wow vicjorob, thats nice!!!

HistoryBuff: Hey Alt, Daviss, Selma Seventi3es, Vicjorob and Vkn.

alt: Hello HistoryBuff

Daviss: hello HistoryBuff!

Selma: Afternoon History Buff

vkn: howdy historybuff

vicjorob: H Historybuff

HistoryBuff: Good job vicjorob .

alt: DNA testing... more than I care to mention vicjorob LOL LOL LOL

Daviss: How long did it take to gather all that info vicjorob?

Selma: Have to run folks..have a great day

HistoryBuff: I haven't done any DNA testing yet.

Daviss: do you plan on it HistoryBuff

vkn: Developer of this chat application wants to know if java is current for all chatters. Trying to resolve bouncing issues with him

Daviss: mine is now vkn

HistoryBuff: Yes most likelty next year, Daviss. Mine is current.

vkn: grrrrrreat daviss great history

alt: my java is current vkn & I'm now usinf Google Chrome as my browser for chat.

Daviss: HistoryBuff you should have done it thru 23&me..

vkn: good alt i use safari most of the time

Daviss: I also use Google Chrome

vkn: okies daviss

vicjorob: Daviss -- I did it many years ago. I photocopies the manumission register and sat down and did data entry over the course of several weeks. As for the other info, I spent about 10 visits or more at the courthouse looking at the court orders. But I was blessed in that Loudoun County's court clerks were quite tidy and organized with their recordkeeping. Deputy clerks would do non-real property transactions but the head clerk would do the real property transactions and the court orders. They recorded the same way every month. Different types of orders were started on different pages. Very organized.

Seventies Soulchild: I love firefox! <3

vicjorob: vkn-

Daviss: thats wonderful vicjorob.

vicjorob: don't know because my work computer is limited for verifying. What is current version?

Seventies Soulchild: brb

alt: nice process with the Loudoun Co. folks vicjorob

vkn: Seventies Soulchild FF is a challenge for me changes almost daily

HistoryBuff: True Daviss. I am so slow to follow through with it and quick to get overwhelmed.

alt: well y'all .. it's get outa Dodge time for me..... bye for now..

Daviss: Its a $400 dollar value and free HB later alt

vkn: i will determine vicjorob and email

vicjorob: Gotta run myself. Take care all.

Daviss: later vicjorob take care lol my 2 finger typing

vkn: bye for now good session 2day. not to forget talk 2nite with khathu

Daviss: bye vkn ok guess i will head out also. Later HB have a great rest of the day HistoryBuff and Seventies Soulchild

Seventies Soulchild: bye y'all

18 Dec 2002 :: 1 Feb 2009
Copyright © 2002-2008 by AfriGeneas. All rights reserved.
AfriGeneas ~ African Ancestored Genealogy