Try a new Ancestry.com Membership!

Domain Name Registration at GoDaddy.com 120x60

Footnote.com

Note: Please follow the link(s) on the navigation bar below to search additional messages that have been archived to conserve space. If no link is visible, no messages have been archived on this board.

2011-12-07 TribalPages & Other Software

*LunchBunch

Start: 12:06:48
End: 13:22:51
Chatters: alt, AYWalton, Daviss, grj2019, HistoryBuff, ProfDru, Selma, Seventies Soulchild, vicjorob

Daviss: hello vicjorob!!

vicjorob: Howdy Daviss. I was beginning to feel abandoned! welcome Also, finally got the chat center to work on my work computer.

Daviss: lol oh thats wonderful. did you have to download java don't feel abandoned lol we trickle in lol

vicjorob: No, just that the powers that be must have sent down a patch that updated the Java. We can't load any programs on our computers, even updates to java t!

Daviss: heyyy alt!

vicjorob: That was supposed to be Hi Alt!

alt: Hi Daviss, vicjorob

vicjorob: Okay. Gotta ask. What's on your genealogical Xmas wish list? Anyone?

Daviss: Ha! vicjorob that is a list that needs shortning lol

alt: time to do a lot of the 'stuff' I have yet to do LOL

Daviss: Finding Mariah

alt: How bout you vicjorob?

Daviss: lol

vicjorob: alt :p

Seventies Soulchild: hello alt, Daviss, vicjorob!

Daviss: hi there seventies soulchild

alt: Hello Seventies Soulchild ... how goes it today?

Seventies Soulchild: What's on my kwanzaa list? 7 days of new information! :}

vicjorob: alt - My girls will not let me put anything genealogy or crochet related on my list. But I do want to find out some more info about a few 3g grandmothers and a 4g grandmother

Seventies Soulchild: uh kind of in a bad mood.

alt: hehehe @ vicjorob, tell them that it is YOUR list LOL

Daviss: they had a sale yesterday on Spirit airlines for 18 dollars round trip to Dallas

vicjorob: Seventies Soulchild -- I like that idea. Gotta set up a plan. Mine one old website each day.

Seventies Soulchild: did you get the ticket?

vicjorob: alt- true. But they being teenagers, want the power of making me happy and they can't seem to accept that is what makes me happy

Daviss: nope, I did not get it..daughter asked if I wanted it but ....

Seventies Soulchild: lol no they just want you to have several likes...

alt: I've been adding dates & cleaning up the captions on the 900+ photos on my Tribal Pages website ......whew!!!!!

AYWalton: Good afternoon, all.

Seventies Soulchild: I bet alt! lol Hello AYWalton

AYWalton: Howdy alt, Daviss, SoulChile, vicjorob!

vicjorob: Angela!

AYWalton: Hope you are all well.

Daviss: Have you finished that yet alt?

alt: hello AYWalton

vicjorob: alt- what a chore!

Daviss: Hello AYWalton!!

alt: not yet Daviss

ProfDru: hello gang

Seventies Soulchild: Hey ProfDru

AYWalton: ProfDru is in da house!

vicjorob: Hey Prof!

alt: gotta do a better job of proof reading and dating when I update the site vicjorob

Daviss: hello ProfDru!

alt: hello ProfDru

Daviss: Its a lot better site than our old one on Family Tree alt lol that was a joke but at the time it was kind of all their was there

alt: yeah Daviss & those sites are "fixed & static" once you put them up they can't be very easily updated.

Seventies Soulchild: I need to update as well.

alt: but that was the 'state of the art' in the 1990's

Daviss: yep

vicjorob: I see that several of you use tribalpages.com. I was wondering whether I should give it a try

alt: I like it vicjorob... simple, flexible & easy to manage.

vicjorob: I assume I can link to it from my blog, right?

Daviss: I like it vicjorob.. I actually have two....one for maternal side and the other my paternal. It keeps the Hatfields and McCoys from hugging each other lol

Seventies Soulchild: lol

vicjorob: Daviss- great idea!

alt: yes you can link them to each other.

AYWalton: uh oh, who did she lose?

vicjorob: After the holidays, I will explore the site. Any good tips?

Seventies Soulchild: Does anyone have all of their trees together in one database?

vicjorob: I maintain all my lines etc. in my TMG database

Seventies Soulchild: I am considering doing this.

vicjorob: That's because they all flow from me as the starting point. wb Daviss

AYWalton: wb Daviss I am going to run, folks. Have a good one.

alt: I use mine as a database. photo album & document storage and a semi-blog vicjorob

Daviss: ok back

Seventies Soulchild: I need a genealogical godmother or father, or cousin.. lol

vicjorob: alt- hmmmmm. interesting. I plan to mine your site for more info about possible relations in SE Ohio

Seventies Soulchild: I am very optimistic about getting info on Scott washington

ProfDru: gotta run

vicjorob: BTW, where did you find the Liggens info 70s-who is scott washington welcome grj

Daviss: welcome grj2019!

Seventies Soulchild: That's one of my maternal great grandfathers hello grj2019

grj2019: thank you all.

alt: help yourself to anything I have out there vicjorob, that was my purpose for putting it online.

Daviss: Is this your first visit grj2019?

vicjorob: alt -- will do.

alt: Hello & welcome grj2019 you might be able to help me with additions, corrections, etc. vicjorob

grj2019: Nope! I am trying to get somesuggesttions advice on how to track a relative gr-grandmother who died sometime in the 20's or early 30's in dayton, Ohio??

Seventies Soulchild: alt....

Daviss: ahhhh ok

alt: I live 20 miles from dayton grj2019

vicjorob: alt -- sure thing

Daviss: we just happen to have a Ohio person here now

alt: and our genealogy group AAGGMV has many dayton members

grj2019: I still have some distant cousins in the area, but they are not "genealoigically" inclined (smile).

Seventies Soulchild: Does AAGGMV take research requests alt?

vicjorob: Daviss Kismet

Daviss: lol tell me about it grj2019

Seventies Soulchild: ha! Don't we all?

alt: send me what you need grj2019 athomas9@woh.rr.com

grj2019: Great--I put up a real long post a coule of years ago, but didn't receive any new info. from any info. Sorry I can't keep up with you all!r .

vicjorob: Who do we have from the Chicago AAGHS?

grj2019: Thanks Mr.thomas, I will.

Seventies Soulchild: I think deannie belongs to that group

vicjorob: Wonder if Crystal Simmons is still with them

alt: alt is Art, please not mr. Thomas LOL

Daviss: some folks have been lucky after a year or two on those old posts

vicjorob: alt not unless grj2019 is a minor under the age of 18 :}

Daviss: I Have heard that name Crystal

alt: deannie & Tim Pinnick are with the chicago group vicjorob

grj2019: I see that some folks do--but not me so far. But I keep trying and haven't given up

Daviss: was she a forum manager

vicjorob: Yes, I met her when I met vkn so many years ago -- Prodigy days

Seventies Soulchild: that's great grj2019

vicjorob: Daviss -- I don't recall if she was or not. She used to be the President of AAGHS or AAGHA of Chicago

Daviss: and grj2019 you have to repost from time to time

grj2019: I have had a good deal of luck in tracing my relatives from ga., but not from Ky.--my father's paternal line.

Daviss: oh ok vicjorob, mabe that was someone else

alt: what are the names in Dayton you're looking for grj2019?

Seventies Soulchild: What is the deal with Kentucky research? I don't ever see that much about it on the boards.

vicjorob: I really need to rejoin the Chicago group since I have folks on all sides of my maternal lines ending up there

grj2019: Givens--I have liviing cousins in dayton, but they know nothing aand are not particularly interested in what I am doing (smile)

alt: and KY has a new genealogy group they have a FaceBook page AAGGKY

Daviss: you should vicjorob, I see they are always doing something

vicjorob: Seventies Soulchild -- it's stuck up in the mountains with all the folks from KY ;)

grj2019: Ky has a rather small internet footprint for black genealogical research, but seems to be picking up a bit

Daviss: I wish they would put up more Ok records

alt: and I do some KY research grj2019

Seventies Soulchild: ha I guess so vicjorob!

grj2019: Great---I am most interested in Harrison, Clark, and Scott counties.

Seventies Soulchild: Me too Daviss

alt: are you related to Jack Givens the BB player form KY?

Daviss: What is your KY surname grj2019

vicjorob: Stepping away to retrieve my lunch. Back soon

grj2019: Not that I am aware of--its such a common name in that area :( Givens and Johnson

Daviss: Robins Robin

alt: he's does U of K basketball on the TV & Radio

Seventies Soulchild: Daviss who are you looking for in Oklahoma?

grj2019: Oh.. I have several young relatives who were players in HS but did not get into college ball

Daviss: my Holmes

Seventies Soulchild: Pre or post 1900?

Daviss: post Creek county

Seventies Soulchild: ok good. I'm looking in the same time period. I'm looking still in Muskogee

Daviss: I am looking for marriage records, maiden name etc

Seventies Soulchild: ok They are tight with their records and its annoying.

Daviss: I know

Seventies Soulchild: You know, I was doing some light reading on Ida B. Wells this morning and she encouraged black people to locate to Oklahoma.

Daviss: I posted a nice picture of Doris" Dorrie" Miller on my FB page. I have a Doris Holmes also male in Ok that that I am trying to find

Seventies Soulchild: Ok Yes I appreciate that photo.

Daviss: Dorrie is from Texas though

alt: are y'all looking at Ancestry on a periodic basis.. the are adding a lot of records from States where they didn't have records before... the same with FamilySearch

Daviss: yes alt I am but Ok is still scarce

Seventies Soulchild: I've been heavily on family search. And also, take advantage of the free military records on ancestry. Today is the last day.

grj2019: I second alt on checking w/Family Search regularly. I find some real gems there from time to time.

Seventies Soulchild: I think I found a cousin on there.

alt: I see they will be adding PA records here shortly... that's Familysearch.

Daviss: I know ET will be happy to see PA alt

Seventies Soulchild: I'm thrilled about the MS records. Saves me a lot of money. lol

alt: for sure Daviss re:ET

Daviss: Hello Selma!!!

Seventies Soulchild: Hey sleeping beauty! :}

alt: hello Selma.. how are ay today?

grj2019: howdy

Selma: Good Wednesday afternoon everyone... 70's the batteries in my laptop died last night...when I came back from plugging in the cord..you were leaving.. LOL

Seventies Soulchild: I thought you had called it quits! lol

Daviss: how was the chat last night Selme?

Seventies Soulchild: Where were you last night Daviss??? lol It was just Selma and I.

Selma: I wouldn't have left without saying Bye...yes by the way where was everyone..

Daviss: I had a ringing in my ear and took to the bed

grj2019: Thank you Ohio researchers--I will fillow up a soon as I can gather pertinent info.

Seventies Soulchild: Good luck with your research grj2019

Daviss: It felt like I was under a bunch of electrical currents

grj2019: Thanks--I have had a bumper year with GA.--not so much with Ohio and Ky.

Daviss: yes good luck grj2019

Seventies Soulchild: Well it can only get better grj2019

Daviss: what was your two-person topic last night Selma

grj2019: Glad to have some words of support! Unless a person is really into family research, they don't understand my "bosession" :) correction: obsession :)

Daviss: we tend to have no other life grj2019 lol lol

Seventies Soulchild: Well we talked about AAGHS some of us. . . lol

grj2019: that is too true. I am going to sign off now. Thank you everyone!

Daviss: oh I forgot about seventies lol

alt: okay grj2019 on the Ohio research

Seventies Soulchild: have a good day... Trying to keep teenage boys on the straight and narrow that's work.

Daviss: been there done that

Seventies Soulchild: Between the girls, the music, the peer pressure... no wonder I started seeing gray in my 20's lol

Selma: Value of belonging to a genealgoical group and folks on AFrigeneas for support

Daviss: oh yeah Selma I concur

Seventies Soulchild: yes and research goals Hey HistoryBuff

Selma: Afternoon History Buff..

Seventies Soulchild: HistoryBuff, what is the quickest way from Union Station to the metro?

Daviss: hello historybuff

HistoryBuff: Hey Seventties, Daviss, Selma, VicJorob and Alt.

Selma: Isn't there a Metro Station at Union STation

alt: been there and done it twice Seventies Soulchild .. sons, grandsons & soon to be great-grandsons they're 11 & 12 y/o's

vicjorob: Back Hello selma

Seventies Soulchild: I thought it was the MARC?

vicjorob: Selma Yes there is . It is the red line. Just walk through the station

Selma: I took the Metro to my son's last time I took the train..

alt: hello HistoryBuff, how goes it?

HistoryBuff: Yes, Union Station-Red Linie. Yes, Seventies, it's a MARC station as well. Good Alt and you?

Seventies Soulchild: Ok thanks ladies! :}

HistoryBuff: YW.

vicjorob: Seventies Soulchild - both the MARC and Metro can be caught at Union Station

alt: Selma, the value of membership to gen groups cannot be overstressed.

Seventies Soulchild: brb

HistoryBuff: Indeed, Seventies and indeed Alt.

alt: both black & white as well as historical societies

Selma: After the folks in your family get tired of hearing you talk about research...folks in genealogy groups still love to hear it all..LOL

HistoryBuff: Indeed also.

vicjorob: Selma :} agreed

Daviss: speaking of alt was it you that was going to send old newsletters or someone else, if we sent email addy

alt: great point Selma.. and when they question what you're saying it keeps you on your toes and "honest".

Daviss: forgive bunching up moment of silence

HistoryBuff: You PC is bunching up, Daviss?

Daviss: mabe it was geder

Selma: Was someone on this Forum researching the James Madison family from Montepelier plantation

HistoryBuff: Moment of silence for Pear Harbor Attack commemoration?

Daviss: I Don't remember that post SELMA OOPS SELMA DANG

Selma: LOL

Daviss: Selma these fingers and eyes Selma

Seventies Soulchild: ok did I just miss something?

Daviss: where were you Seventies

Seventies Soulchild: I said I'd be right back... lol

vicjorob: BTW, where do we find the log for chats? FOr example, I want to read what I missed when I stepped away to retrieve my food.

Daviss: http://www.afrigeneas.com/chat/chatlogs.cgi

Seventies Soulchild: On the main page on the link "Chat Log" but I think those come out the day after chat

vicjorob: Daviss -- thanks. you are ever so quick with the links.

Daviss: there is the link vicjorob

alt: doesn't the Meeting Center have a login for archived chats? vkn puts them out there almost daily.

Daviss: call it my two finger typing trick vicjorob lol

vicjorob: Daviss :p

Daviss: hehehehe

Seventies Soulchild: yes ctrl + v lol

Daviss: heyyyy see I just learned something lol lol

vicjorob: I love the ctrl + keys. I am just amazed you had the link at hand.

Seventies Soulchild: hehehehehe

alt: vicjorob, you mention TMG is that your software package The Master Genealogist?

vicjorob: alt- for years Dang my keyboard. Was typing that I have been using it for years

alt: okay... and I agree with your philosophy of having ALL of your folk in a single database..... with today's technology you can separate the family's easily by color coding and other methodologies.

HistoryBuff: LOL

Seventies Soulchild: See yes I was looking at that last night on the LDS blog... how do you get to those forms?

vicjorob: alt - I never really think about separating the family because I just follow up the pedigree chart. Thankfully, none of my lines share the same last name

Seventies Soulchild: I have SEVERAL trees. And I want to consolidate on Roots Magic.

HistoryBuff: When I get my laptop repaired, that's what I do consolidate with RM.

vicjorob: I have only glanced at RootsMagic. I hear it is good. Why don't you send an e-mail to the Genealogy Guys. THey love the program I'm sure they would love to cover it on their podcast

alt: You might try creating GEDCOMS for each tree and the use the Merge feature on Roots Magic Seventies Soulchild

vicjorob: alt- hmmm. She might lose some info that way

Seventies Soulchild: that would be bad.

vicjorob: 70s - what program are you using now?

Seventies Soulchild: Roots Magic4, but I am considering other software.

alt: the headache might be in dealing with Duplicated family lines vicjorob, don't think anything will be lost.

vicjorob: 70s - doesnt RM allow you to merge trees?

alt: Seventies Soulchild, Roots Magic has a special on their upcoming version 5 ... 19.95 for the month of Dec.

Seventies Soulchild: I think so. I haven't tried the feature.

vicjorob: alt- I worry about sources and other details that some gedcom formats just does not handle well. Ex are the gedcoms created by ancestry for the family trees

Seventies Soulchild: Oh really? Ancestry strips away everything when you download your tree. They keep the source citation, but they don't download your images.

alt: I hear you there vicjorob.. I owuldn't merge a tree form Ancestry into my database on a bet LOL LOL no GEDCOM will transfer images Seventies Soulchild ..... you have to try an CPOY the entire file. to get the photos to transfer...

Seventies Soulchild: Not that I have as many photos as you do alt, but still its going to be a long process.

vicjorob: 70s: here is a link to how to merge two databases in RM . FFor some reason I can't paste the link. So google the question "rootsmagic merging databases"

Seventies Soulchild: thanks vicjorob! 19 more days until I leave for D.C.! :} :} :}

vicjorob: alt- I had other problems with ancestry. Just can't remember what they were. I do recall that the sources did not carry over properly

Selma: Do you have a calendar where you are counting down the days.. LOL

Seventies Soulchild: We should have an afrigeneas meet up. So many of you are in the area

alt: the developer for RM was a 'key' software person for FTM until they went beserk and changed their whole platform in what 2006/2008.

vicjorob: Seventies Soulchild -- we're waiting for ya!

Seventies Soulchild: Sounds like they fired the developer..lol

HistoryBuff: Sounds good, Seventies.

Seventies Soulchild: We can meet at the National Archives.

vicjorob: Ooops. Gotta go to a meeting. Take care all. Until tomorrow.

Seventies Soulchild: bye vicjorob

Daviss: later vicjorob take care

HistoryBuff: Cya vicjorob

alt: he wasn't fired he left and developed RM... his other package was the Family Origins software that FTM incorporated many of his features into their FTM V16 package.

Seventies Soulchild: oh okay

Daviss: well seventies and all it will be 1 more day before I see you in lunchbunch chatroom. take care and be here on time lol

alt: later Daviss

Seventies Soulchild: lol bye Daviss

Daviss: later alt u2 7

alt: guess I'd better get busy with some other 'stuff' too, or it won't get done bye y'all

Seventies Soulchild: bye alt.. have a good day!

HistoryBuff: Laters

Selma: Me too ..have a great day everyone...

Seventies Soulchild: ok bye HistoryBuff

HistoryBuff: H=Bye 70s

18 Dec 2002 :: 1 Feb 2009
Copyright © 2002-2008 by AfriGeneas. All rights reserved.
AfriGeneas ~ African Ancestored Genealogy