Try a new Ancestry.com Membership!

Domain Name Registration at GoDaddy.com 120x60

Footnote.com

Note: Please follow the link(s) on the navigation bar below to search additional messages that have been archived to conserve space. If no link is visible, no messages have been archived on this board.

2011-12-06 Tripping to Mississippi

*TuesNite

Start: 21:08:07
End: 21:53:01
Chatters: Selma, Seventies Soulchild

Seventies Soulchild: I'm here just 'beep' me by typing my name. Thanks!

Selma: Good evening seventies... YooHoo seventies soulchild

Seventies Soulchild: Hello Selma! How are you this evening?

Selma: Trying to stay awake...

Seventies Soulchild: Yes, these Tues nite chats seem to get shorter and shorter! lol

Selma: Thats cause folks stop talking..and my eyes start drooping.. LOL

Seventies Soulchild: lol http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=WtNvN9PM6jw#! A great interview from Ft. Wayne Its about 12 mins long

Selma: Just watched a few seconds..will go back and watch...thanks We have to get you to come to one of these conferences

Seventies Soulchild: Yes maybe one day Selma

Selma: Its hard when you have young kids

Seventies Soulchild: They They're not young, but I know they wouldn't want to come with me to one of these conferences... lol

Selma: No..they would be looking for the pool, beach or rides

Seventies Soulchild: Yes and that's fine.... I doubt if there would be many young girls around.. lol

Selma: No that is true

Seventies Soulchild: really? oh no!

Selma: This is not an excercise that attracts to many young people

Seventies Soulchild: No it doesn't. :) Unfortunate though.

Selma: We have had some young people show up at our meetings occasionally, for the most part cause they had a school assignment

Seventies Soulchild: Well at least they had someone to go to. You know, is your genealogy group part of AAGHS?

Selma: Yes...

Seventies Soulchild: OK its hard to find chapters through the online page.

Selma: It was formed in 1986..and became a member of AAHGS in 1992

Seventies Soulchild: Seems as if the page hadn't been updated for a while.

Selma: We were and still known to many as the VA Society for Black Historical and Genealogical Research...AAHGS Hampton Roads Chapter

Seventies Soulchild: ok

Selma: For a while we were the only VA AAHGS chapter..there was one that formed in Norfolk in the late 1990's but it folded..now there are 4

Seventies Soulchild: Ok. I still haven't been able to find an active chapter in NY

Selma: Our members research many different states..not necessarily VA There was an active one..the Jean Sampson Scott Chapter in NY..

Seventies Soulchild: I don't know what happened to Jean, but I haven't ever been able to get in touch with them. There was one a little closer to me in Sloatsburg, NY but its no longer in existence.

Selma: Sometimes its hard to keep these groups together..

Seventies Soulchild: I understand that. I wanted to do something like that here, but everytime I turned around seemed like something was blocking the way OR no one was interested.

Selma: and now with the advent of research on the internet....lots of groups are losing members

Seventies Soulchild: But groups I believe are still needed desperately.

Selma: I agree wholeheartedly...the need is great

Seventies Soulchild: Even if its just to talk to someone about your research.

Selma: Yes..we have meetings that are just that...folks like to talk about their research, to folks who understand and appreciate their work and effort Exchange info, give ideas, talk about new stuff, etc...

Seventies Soulchild: Yes, I don't have that here so I love coming to Afrigeneas for that. even though sometimes we get off track... lol I have a cousin who everytime she sees me tells me how much she appreciates what I'm doing in terms of family research. That's encouraging.

Selma: Good for your cousin..cause many family members are only interested in knowing if you have found a rich relative that they are heirs to.. LOL

Seventies Soulchild: lol lol lol Well I don't think that my family worries about that too much. We're just glad to get together with family and extended family every couple of years. Well let me tell you about what I am looking forward to doing this summer when I go to Mississippi... I'm going to unlock the Scott Washington mystery. OR get all the documentation that I can on him lol I think that his story just may be a good juicy one.... :}

Selma: Good for you..are you going to the Courthouse? You have a plan of action?

Seventies Soulchild: Yes I have a plan. I first of all want to get all of the land deed paperwork, estate paperwork and tax records that I can on him I am also looking to get a complete documentation on the Hargrove v. Mazique lawsuit. I was told that he owned a couple of grocery stores. I need to verify that through documentation.

Selma: There was a Dr.Mazique in DC

Seventies Soulchild: He was probably related to the Maziques in Adams Co. They have people all over the country.

Selma: He was on staff at Freedmen's now Howard University Hospital

Seventies Soulchild: yes the Maziques had money and were able to provide handsomely for their descendants. They were 'mulatto' and were manumitted before slavery ended legally. A couple marreid into my Rounds family. They were neighbors. Sarah and August Mazique I would also like to get information on his murder. I have no idea of how to go about getting the case records, if there are any. So that is something I will have to research. Ok well I don't want to keep you up Selma. lol See you tomorrow afternoon.

18 Dec 2002 :: 1 Feb 2009
Copyright © 2002-2008 by AfriGeneas. All rights reserved.
AfriGeneas ~ African Ancestored Genealogy