Try a new Ancestry.com Membership!

Domain Name Registration at GoDaddy.com 120x60

Footnote.com

Note: Please follow the link(s) on the navigation bar below to search additional messages that have been archived to conserve space. If no link is visible, no messages have been archived on this board.

2011-11-29 MS marriages • Luck break wall

*LunchBunch

Start: 12:13:15
End: 13:34:28
Chatters: alt, Daviss, Luck, ProfDru, Selma, Seventies Soulchild, vkn

Seventies Soulchild: good afternoon alt. how are you"

alt: 'lo Seventies Soulchild, doing fine & you?

Seventies Soulchild: doing well. 'enjoying' this 60 degree weather.

alt: I see you put up some more Adams Co., MS marriage records,,,, good job!!!

Seventies Soulchild: Yes, I hit a snag though. Hi Selma

alt: hello Ms Selma.. how's it going?

Selma: Good afternoon alt and seventies... Going slow I swear old age is a b*^%h Was that too much sharing...LOL

alt: slow is good... I'm at STOP LOL

Seventies Soulchild: Some of the records indicated COL (Colonel) LOL J/K.. still giggling about your daughter with that one. Anyway some indicated colored, but not sure. So I looked up some of the people in the 1870 census. all were black. Selma! lol wow!

Selma: No more complaining for the day.. LOL

alt: and "old' beats the heck out of the alternative Selma.

Selma: True, true alt

Seventies Soulchild: lol Selma

Selma: Seventies...are these marriages in a separate group identified as "colored marriages"..or interspersed with white marriages and you are sorting them out

Seventies Soulchild: Actually only some of the records indicated one or both parties as col in parenthesis. But the book specifically states colored marriages on the cover.

Selma: OK

Seventies Soulchild: But because I saw those specifications, I did question it. But it all depends upon the 'mood' of the record taker.

Selma: The time period was 1866?...this was done under the Freedmen's Bureau

Seventies Soulchild: These records belong to Adams County, MS though on the record it does indicate the terms "Freedman" and "Freewoman" on the form.

Selma: In that time frame the Bureau was still operating in that state and county

Seventies Soulchild: You know I'm not 100% sure, but I do know that they were there in 1865 and 1866. Natchez was one of the Freedman's Bureaus main HQs

Selma: It did not have to be Seventies... I told you to read the link to the descriptive pamphlet which describes.

Seventies Soulchild: ok thanks Selma

Selma: The other Mississippi Roll I had Natchez written on a number of things.. Oh just read what you wrote..

Seventies Soulchild: Ok yes I've seen Natchez in the Freedmen's Records on HeritageQuest

alt: was Adams county heavily populated by AA's? 100 or so marriages in 1 year seems like a lot of marriages to me. Could these have been in some for like legalizing cohabitation's?

Selma: Also Barnetta White has details on what happened in each state re marriage...I will find the copy for you.

Seventies Soulchild: For several years. Adams county had many migrants from Wilkinson Co. and others come into the county. It was heavily populated for a long time alt.

alt: okay Seventies Soulchild

Seventies Soulchild: I'm not through with year 1 yet alt. There are 350 marriages

alt: WOW, that's a lot of marriages for just folk of color...

Seventies Soulchild: I'm at August 1866, the beginning

alt: in 1 year I would think. course you have to take location into account.

Seventies Soulchild: yes, I think that is why. Wilkinson County on the other hand has a small book maybe the size of a composition notebook with freedman marriages in it.

Selma: Mississippi...The Act Approved on 25 Nov 1865 contained 12 sections..the relevant section follows in its entirety

alt: 350 marriages.. that's 700 people... there weren't that many Blacks in some of the Ohio counties I research in 1866 LOL

Seventies Soulchild: lol well hey there are plenty of records to research, I'll bring some back for you next summer lol

Selma: That all freedmen, free negros and mulattoes who do now have heretofore lived and cohabitated together as husband and wife shall be taken and held in law as legally married.

alt: no thanks LOL

Seventies Soulchild: I see some of the records from the early months are signed and bonded by R.W. Wood, the registrar. At least one of them

Selma: Is R.W. Wood someone who was the registrar inthat county prior to the WAr

ProfDru: hello gang

Seventies Soulchild: I don't know. I haven't gotten past the transcription portion. Trying to get that completed first. I did think about that as I was transcribing the documents. Also some of the ministers.

Selma: Afternoon ProfDru

alt: hello Ms ProfDru

Seventies Soulchild: Hi Professor Dru There are some names who are appearing frequently on these records. ProfDru, are you going to attend RootsTech this year???

ProfDru: if my health improves

Seventies Soulchild: ok I saw the registration on family search and thought about you.:0 :)

ProfDru: I am scheduled to speak--thanks for reminder. I have to send my handout by tomorrow.

Seventies Soulchild: I've been hitting that family search hard. Some great records that are aiding me in my research have been coming out there.

ProfDru: will you be attending, soulchile

Seventies Soulchild: No unfortunately. Will be at work.. :}

alt: yep, familysearch is putting up a great amount of new records for each State of late.

Seventies Soulchild: February is our Admissions crunch time.

ProfDru: hopefully some sessions will be online

Seventies Soulchild: Hellooooo vkn

alt: Hello vkn... how be's ya?

vkn: Be good alt and thee

Seventies Soulchild: Selma thanks for the info on the Mississippi Freedmans' act of Nov 1865.

alt: thee be's fine thanks vkn

vkn: lol and dru AND SELMA AND SEVENTIES

Selma: Seventies..email me your address..I think I have an extra copy of the Descriptive Pamphlet that NARA sent me..

vkn: oops not meaning to shout just hit the wrong key

ProfDru: January is our crunch time, soulchile. Things should be settled by the time of the conference.

Seventies Soulchild: ok ProfDru

Selma: I don't know if they still do it but..they would send free copies of the Descriptive Pamphlets for the Sates Afternoon alt

Seventies Soulchild: nice! seventiessoulchild@yahoo.com

alt: good afternoon to you too Ms. Selma

Selma: No seventies..your real snail mail address Afternoon vkn

Seventies Soulchild: OH okay... will do!

alt: boondocks NY for Seventies Soulchild LOL LOL

Selma: You know that "old" way of doing things at the Post Office3

Seventies Soulchild: look who's tardy for the party... lol hey Daviss!

vkn: howdy daviss

Seventies Soulchild: Unfortuantely yes it is alt! lol

Daviss: hello alt, ProfDru and Selma! Hi Seventies and vkn!

alt: hello Daviss ... late slip please LOL

Selma: Afternoon Daviss

ProfDru: hello vicky tonight, I will giving my USCT presentation to a college history class.

Seventies Soulchild: ha! Just got a tweet about the Archives doing an artisan fair on WPA artists... ok ProfDru

alt: wonderful ProfDru

Daviss: I hope I will be able to stay online.. puter acting up, phone on the blink etc etc :{

alt: one of those days , huh Daviss?

Seventies Soulchild: lol Daviss did you pay your bills? :}

Daviss: lol oh yeah, gotta do that yes and the home phone has tgerrible static, sheesh

alt: speaking of USCT's ... seems like the CW150 effort has slowed down in the AA community.

ProfDru: really alt

Seventies Soulchild: As has the international year of the African...

alt: was afriad that might happen and we've still got 4 more years of CW150 to go.

Seventies Soulchild: Daviss....

alt: Hello Luck.. how are ya?

Seventies Soulchild: Hi Luck! Is this Luckie???

Luck: I'm fine and u? No this is not luckie.

alt: doing fine Luck

Daviss: hello Luck, how are you!

Seventies Soulchild: How are you Luck. Welcome to Afrigeneas.

Luck: Thank you Do you offer advice if you hit a brick wall?

Seventies Soulchild: We sure do! What can we help you with

Daviss: welcome Luck and how can we help you

alt: we try Luck

Daviss: Give us a little bit of info.. What are your surnames and from where is your search?

vkn: howdy and welcome luck

Luck: I am having trouble trying to locate a last name. I have encounted at least a possibility of 3 from different sources.

Seventies Soulchild: Ok what era are the records from? And sources?

Luck: the early 1900's

Selma: Afternoon Luck

alt: are the differing suranmes for one given family over a period of time Luck?

Luck: they are from a marriage cert, and 2 of her childrens death records

Selma: What state and county Luck?

Luck: Hale, Alabama

Selma: Is Hale the County?

Luck: Yes

alt: ah so a her/she.... marriage cert. would have maiden name and her children's DC' would have her married name(s), right?

Seventies Soulchild: Could this person's maiden name been used on the D.C? And have you checked taxes? Also could this person have had multiple marriages?

Selma: What is her name on the marriage Certificate and when was it issued?

Luck: Her marriage certificate states one thing and her childrens death records say something completely differnt.. No she was only married once. Her marriage name is Mary Tucker.. She married Charlie Tucker

Selma: What was her Maiden name..was it listed on the Marriage record?

Luck: Per the record I found online...not actual doc.. it states Ryan..

Selma: Where did you find online?

Luck: off the family search pilot site

Seventies Soulchild: You may want to check that again. One my of my greatgreat grandmothers from AL married twice both times she used her maiden name.

Selma: and what year did this marriage take place?

alt: okay.. so Ryan was the maiden name and Tucker the amrried name.... 3rd name is???

Seventies Soulchild: Her eldest daughter from her first marriage had her father's last name and that is how I figured it out.

Luck: wyatt.. Jan 16 of 1902

Selma: So she married on Jan 16 1902..how old was she? I know this all sound intrusive..but it helps if we know all the details

Luck: age unclear born between 1883 and 1886 Tucker is the married name and Wyatt is the other name I'm running into

Selma: and the death certificates, who were they for? when were the deaths, how old were they?

alt: was Wyatt the maiden name on the marriage certificate & Tucker the anme on children's DC's?

Luck: She married Charlie Tucker in Hale county Al. They are for 2 of her children.. Lizzie May Tucker Brown, Charles C. Tucker Both say Wyatt. and a death record for her say Wyatt.. But I cannot locate a census doc for her for 1900.. under that name.. But I did find one for a Mary Rines

alt: have you found her on the 1900 census? marriage took place in 1902, right... 1900 should have maiden name and she woud be about 16018 tears old.

Selma: On her marriage certificate did it list her parents?

alt: 16-18 y/o

Luck: Ryans is for her Marriage cert, Wyatts reported by 2 kids and her death cert which would of been written by her kids since she out lived her husband. 1902 married charlie tucker no parents listed..

Daviss: what county was this again?

Luck: Hale county Al

Selma: Did she have siblings that you know of?

Luck: Not sure because of the mix of names

Seventies Soulchild: Luck, have you done a timeline for Mary Tucker and her children? Births, marriage, deaths, residences? Sometimes it helps to see things together and organized for analysis.

alt: if you think she is in Hale Co., AL in 1900 try a search on an AA feamle given name of Mary born ca 1883-1886.

Selma: Do you find her and tucker and chldren in 1910?

Luck: Yes listed with Charlie

Selma: Who is living around them in 1910..neighbors possibly other family members

Luck: I looked no names seems to tie they were in a different county they had children by then.. Residence Blocker, Tuscaloosa, Alabama

alt: and in 1910 the oldest child would be 7-8 years old?

Selma: Could her mother re married..was married to a Ryan then married a Wyatt..the children might have not know the first husband

Luck: yes, they had 4 kids by 1910.. and like 9 after

alt: good thought Selma... a search for those 3 surnames in the counties of question might be needed to be done.

Luck: All with Charlie Tucker they have him listed as their father

Daviss: there is a 14 yr old mary Rine in hale county

Selma: Rine/Ryan..sounds alike

Luck: Yes.. I have that census saved but not linked to her. I know that's why I'm confused

alt: right Selma... does the family of Mary Rine/Ryan look familiar?

Selma: Who is living in the household in 1900 with Mary Rine/Ryan?

Luck: No..on that doc is say she is living with her sister.

Selma: How old is the sister? Let me go look

Luck: 39 and her name is julia boreman Seventies Soulchild I have

alt: oh no, don't add another name... Boreman, Wyatt, Rine/Ryan/Tucker LOL

Luck: :}

Seventies Soulchild: I say send alt all your documents.. lol

Selma: There is another person inthe household above with the surname RINE..a Carrie Rine. She is the Stepsister of the Head of household...a Nancy Booker

Seventies Soulchild: Luck sounds like you've got quite a bit of research ahead of you! :}

Selma: How long have you been doing this Luck?

Daviss: The Head of the Household looks like Boreland Or bareland

Luck: At first I thought that I may of had the wrong family but the child names dont change from 1910 to 1930.. I know its all confusing about 3 years

Seventies Soulchild: Ok folks there are tons of folks waiting to get into this school. I gotta head out... be good!

Selma: Be good?.. we try.. LOL

Daviss: lol

Luck: They moved from hale to tuscoloosa then back to hale by the next census.. Alabama records are horrible

Daviss: Luck did you see if anyone who is in this household was anywhere around the family in 1910

Selma: They probably moved for "work".. luck

Luck: Nope.. I checked.. They move back to hale county and resided near Charlie's father who own large farm land

Selma: How old was Charlie when they married? Was he on the 1880 Census..

Luck: yes he is on the 1880 census in hale, and the 1900 census in hale both census living with his father

Selma: Is the Hale family near the Boreland/Rine family in 1900..close enough for him to have met her? I mean the Tucker family

Luck: they were in the Greensboro area and he was in moundville.. I havent charted thed distance but in 1880 the tuckers were in greensboro

Daviss: so were the Rine's is he a jr

Selma: What is his father's name?

Luck: Charlie is a Sr.. his father name Mal.. When I searched the area for Rine/Ryans i found some but no Wyatts But there was no Mary I did find a Julia in 1880 in the same area

Daviss: Mall Tucker

Daviss: In Ingram

Selma: I see him Mal Tucker is the Grandson of Beverly Blackburn

alt: I have to run... Luck, you might post your 'brickwall' on the AfriGeneas Forum and get more folks looking at your situation. y'all take care.

Luck: yes.. But that a whole nother brick wall.. Thanx alt

Selma: Just so you know Luck...WE ALL have brick walls

Daviss: alt is right about posting on the forum Luck. Have you done that at all

Luck: I know.. I'm not sure how

Selma: Do you live in Alabama Luck?

Luck: NO very far from it..

Selma: Ok.. Just trying to judge if you could get to the County Courthouse or archives

Luck: What I find in alabama is alot of name changes... and missing doc.. I wish I think I may have to take a trip down there

Selma: That is an issue in alot of states Luck...

Luck: how do i post to your wall

Daviss: I would go to the Surname Forum.. Put in the last name that you know and a brief summary of what you told us here

Selma: Send him to the Surnames Forum Daviss

Daviss: yes

Luck: Should put all this information or will that confuse readers

Selma: Give some details Luck...like the names and in what records you have looked

Luck: :) anks you guys

Selma: In what counties and states.. You are welcome... Come back and visit..

Luck: Sure will

Daviss: oops

Selma: Only once a session Daviss..that is a record

Daviss: sorry lol lol

Selma: Well I better run

Daviss: mabe she/he will get a hit ok friend cya

Selma: Have a great day..bye

Daviss: bye

18 Dec 2002 :: 1 Feb 2009
Copyright © 2002-2008 by AfriGeneas. All rights reserved.
AfriGeneas ~ African Ancestored Genealogy