Try a new Ancestry.com Membership!

Domain Name Registration at GoDaddy.com 120x60

Footnote.com

Note: Please follow the link(s) on the navigation bar below to search additional messages that have been archived to conserve space. If no link is visible, no messages have been archived on this board.

2011-11-28 BET Awards • Ryan restarts

*LunchBunch

Start: 12:04:21
End: 13:31:55
Chatters: alt, AYWalton, Daviss, ryan, Seventies Soulchild, vkn

Seventies Soulchild: Hey just in here opening up. Type my name in to get my attention. Seventies Soulchild

Daviss: hello seventies Soultrain

Seventies Soulchild: Hey Daviss! lol That mess was horrible! lol

Daviss: lol I meant siuldchild soulchild I know, the whole durn show

Seventies Soulchild: I never thought I would say that, but really it was a sad state of affairs...

Daviss: I really do not understand how the entire thing was horrible. And where in the world did Celo deserve all those songs

Seventies Soulchild: Ok now, I like Ceelo Green. He was one of the few good singers there.

Daviss: not to me

Seventies Soulchild: Eric Benet, and Lalah Hathaway.

Daviss: Gladys was even off and she is never off

Seventies Soulchild: hi alt

Daviss: hi alt! yaaa Cardinals!!

alt: hello ladies, Seventies Soulchild & Daviss .. how are ya?

Seventies Soulchild: Doing great!

Daviss: you could not help but win alt lol

alt: Beannie had a good day, huh Daviss?

Seventies Soulchild: lol talking about the Soul Train Awards with co-workers... lol BRB

Daviss: seventies my right ear and my left ear is in tune with melodies and those peeps were off yes he did alt, he showed out lol

alt: Hehehhehe Daviss, I take it you didin't care for the performances at the ST awards show.

Daviss: so we know where we stand huh alt lol lol oh no, alt it was terrible

alt: yep, SS has he priorities and we ain't at the top of the list LOL he=her

Daviss: I know lol lol hee hee

Seventies Soulchild: quit y'all lol lol lol

Daviss: with that big ole BRB in our face lol

Seventies Soulchild: alt, I didn't even like it... ugh!

alt: oh my, sorry to hear that Seventies Soulchild

Seventies Soulchild: Then that guy with the shimmery leopard jacket on ... good god go get some fashion man! lol It was terrible from top to bottom. Black folks done slipped off. . .

alt: I just got this month's Ebony magazine and I was disappointed in the list of 100 most powerful/influential Blacks.

Daviss: oh really alt

Seventies Soulchild: I don't have the latest copy of Ebony... sounds like I shouldn't even buy it. sigh

alt: don't let me influence you Seventies Soulchild

Daviss: lol alt

Seventies Soulchild: Anyway, y'all I found a marriage record for my uncle Buddy on family search this morning. Didn't know about this wife...

alt: what state was he located in Seventies Soulchild?

Daviss: ;good for you seventies and Pat A really had a great find!!

Seventies Soulchild: Alabama, Jones, AL Get this, he married a Queenie Lanier.

alt: Pat A's find was terrific Daviss.. that document calls for a lot of 'looking at'.

Seventies Soulchild: the license also listed the maiden names of the mothers and the names of the fathers. very good find.

vkn: Lots alt and the slaver is a SLATER

Daviss: good looking out seventies

alt: they were married after 1900 Seventies Soulchild?

Seventies Soulchild: Married in .. 1947 AND she was an older woman.. lol Now, in my Lanier family there are two collateral families that we are supposed to be related to the Peoples and the Parkers. This Queenie was a Lanier whose mother maiden name was Peoples. But This uncle was NOT a Lanier, but a DeBardlabon and his last name was Evans....

alt: remember Rodney Slater from Clinton's cabinet... is he part of your Slater group vkn?

Seventies Soulchild: Ok on Pat A.'s find. I'm confused about her confusion on how her ancestor came to be in Ocean Springs, MS. New Orleans was a MAJOR slave trading port.

Daviss: If I remember correctly, I have a cousin whose great grandmother was a Dove in Texas

vkn: I am aware of the Slaters in Arkansas but no connection. I have databased them

alt: is that right Daviss?

Seventies Soulchild: Ocean Springs is just on the other side of Biloxi...

Daviss: The only thing is that she is clueless of her history to check with her

alt: I think the significance of Pat A's find is from where did the Dove's come from to be shipped from Baltimore.

vkn: Beautiful work with Kim. Just think two recovering brain surgeries within one week

alt: and were the 3 boys sold from their family, or are there other Dove's on another apge. Yes vkn Kim's road to recovery is a great story.

AYWalton: Hope you are all well.

alt: Hello AYWalton, how ya doing?

Daviss: oh yes re Kim!

AYWalton: fine alt, and you?

alt: doing fine AYWalton, thanks

vkn: Heyyyyyyyy AYW is there a site to calculate 1860 dollars with today? In other words 475.00 in 1860 would be what today?

Daviss: I used to have that in my favs but no longer

AYWalton: Here ya go, vkn: http://www.measuringworth.com/uscompare/

Daviss: thx from me too AY

AYWalton: You are all welcome!

vkn: thanx ayw

alt: looks to be about 12K in today CPI

vkn: thanx ayw I knew you would be johnny on the spot lol

AYWalton: You are all welcome! I do try from time to time. lol

Daviss: hehehe

vkn: Thanx alt

alt: on Pat A's find... I wonder what the distinction is on the manifest betwee Negro, Mulatto & Person of Color? and were some of those slaves being hired/rented out, or were ther indentures among them?

vkn: It is such a terrific find. Prolly measured by New Orleans standards Did you see the PatA post AYW?

AYWalton: Ooops before stepping away---no I missed the PatA post. Where is it vkn?

vkn: Slave forum

alt: yes, it appears from that one page that the 3 teenage boys had been separated from the family. the Dove boys.

vkn: she found her kin listed on NOLA manifest

Daviss: http://tinyurl.com/7qn8h7o

vkn: with first and last names

Daviss: there you are AYWalton

AYWalton: thanks, Daviss

Daviss: I would still be doing the happy dance

Seventies Soulchild: 3/4 of an acre for 12k? smh

vkn: Glad to see response from Selma on lady from Ohio and AYW thanx so much for helping Rich to come clean

alt: yes, I looked at that 1860 census record vkn... first time I had ever seen folks described as 'emancipated slaves' on a census form.

vkn: I too have not seen that will have to take a look and post to mailing list Where is that county alt Preble?

alt: that record covered a lot of territory... she was born 1829 in Arkansas, her children in Tennessee and they are living on Ohio in 1860.... hmmmmn

AYWalton: He is preparing an exhibit on Freedom Seekers. He mentioned real people---yet Tom was fictitious.

Daviss: her post sounds like she started researching the day she posted

alt: It is on the Indiana State line in SW Ohio vkn.

Daviss: oops sorry

AYWalton: So how does Tom become a Freedom seeker. I am asking that question now. because it has nothing to do with the negative term implied by the term today. Robert Smalls, Ellen Craft, and others---what do they have to do with Uncle Tom? And did Uncle Tom seek freedom?

vkn: Heaven was his freedom I reckon

AYWalton: The other REAL people did.

alt: Wasn't the character "Tom" taken from Josiah Henson of the UGRR and Buxton/Chatham ontario, Canada?

AYWalton: so I have heard---but he is not representing Josiah Henson---he used the name Uncle Tom. Now if he wishes to say Josiah Henson that might be different. However, I don't know much about Josiah Henson's story. Was he a freedom seeker--a runaway or a manumitted slave.

vkn: I saw an article authored by Lisa Lee on Archives on the UGRR but did not read as yet. have it marked Have you read ?

AYWalton: ahhh ok, I just googled his name and see that he was a runaway who made it to Ontario.

alt: don't let me confuse the issue on Tom/Josiah Henson... Uncle Tom's Cabin

AYWalton: exactly. I just posted a question to him. I started to include Josiah Henson's name, but changed my mind. He will have to find Josiah on his own--I am not going to give him the name.

alt: Isn't Rich a little late with his Freedom Seeker's, which btw is the Title of the FOFS/OURA book of a few years back dealing with the UGRR in OHIO.

Seventies Soulchild: I'm reading the thread now...

alt: and his references have been written about over & over. Craft, Smalls & "box' Brown

vkn: Did you learn anything about Pittman ayw

Seventies Soulchild: He don't have much to say, so I think it may be best to leave this guy to his own research.

Daviss: well he did say he was a long time researcher :o

vkn: ww1shaft.gif for the military peeps

Seventies Soulchild: I hadn't been on the military forum in a while. Are we doing anything specific for WW I AA's??

vkn: I will repodt back tomorrow

alt: got a discussion going on the DNA test African descendant page on Facbook.... Cousin/Generations/Time Periods & matches on FTDNA & 23andme.

AYWalton: I see that Rich was also looking for Dred Scott's descendants.

Daviss: I read that post also alt.

AYWalton: Somebody found a link for him.

alt: one person states that genealogically a generation averages to something like 31 years.

Daviss: lol AYWalton so he is all over the place

AYWalton: He is truly scouring the boards for folks to do his research, when sometimes all he had to do was to use a search engine to find data. I know we can't prevent folks from using the boards like that---but something about it is ---what is the word I am looking for---I'll just say raising my eyebrows about their sincerity.

alt: If that's the case 6-7 geneartions only gets us back to around the CW

Seventies Soulchild: I would be willing to guess that Rich isn't AA. . . but that's just my opinion.

alt: how about lazy AYWalton

AYWalton: I wondered about that SoulChile.

Daviss: wondering how that was figured out alt, the 31 yrs

AYWalton: that word works, alt.

vkn: ahhhh he is the one who started that. Great link from someone to article from ggranddaughter of Dred Scott

alt: that was stated by FTDNA according to one of the posters (31 years) Daviss

AYWalton: and of course there is a book written about the Harriet and Dred Scott by the woman in St. Louis--Ruth Hagler or Hager.

Daviss: oh @alt awwww Barney Frank retiring

vkn: Ehe objected to thhe Q how do you feel and answered wuth How do I think. It was stunning

alt: his request makes you wonder how much "reading' some "researchers" have done when they undertake the writing of a book, huh AYWalton?

AYWalton: well I am sure that many folks take shortcuts. and think about it---AfriGeneas is the largest online community of African American researchers of history. So what a shortcut for a newspaper man (as his email reads) to take! and there are the "professional genealogists" who watch and lurk and do their thing as well.

vkn: not shortcuts lol high dives lol

alt: vkn must be used to that type of request.... you could even use Essence magazine as an example of writers/shortcuts/deadlines, etc.

vkn: indeed

AYWalton: good choice of words, vkn! I wonder how many "careers" AfriGeneas has unknowingly launched or at least helped along the way. you still getting requests, vkn from the Essence article?

alt: good question AYWalton

AYWalton: Hello ryan

alt: hello stranger.. how are ya ryan?

Daviss: hello ryan!

ryan: Hello ay, Davis, vkn, 70's, alt

Seventies Soulchild: hi ryan! How are you? How was your Thanksgiving?

vkn: Heyyyyyy Ryan

ryan: All is well, got busy at work, made it through another year.. Time to buckle down :)

AYWalton: how's it going, ryan?

Seventies Soulchild: Good. So you are going to start up work research again?

ryan: I'm good.. No new "big" finds, just maintenance, closing little gaps where I can. Started more in earnest on my mothers side...

Seventies Soulchild: Family search has some new Mississippi records online. Taxes, Educable children etc. this year.

alt: good move ryan.... maintenance & closing gaps.

Seventies Soulchild: Also military burials. It depends on the county you're looking at.

ryan: Thanks 70's, will be on the lookout for those..

Seventies Soulchild: I found some good information there. Now your mother's family is from MS also or TN?

ryan: MS, Leflore county, deep in the Delta... (Greenwood)

Seventies Soulchild: Ahhh okay.

vkn: Yes AYW they still dribble in. mostly from incarcerated men and from the computerless

AYWalton: Mississippi is the only state with that list of educable children. I have found relatives on that list.

Seventies Soulchild: I finally got a look last weekend and found a lot of relatives in Adams Co.

ryan: Found out that move "The Help" was filmed in greenwood, they interviewed one of my moms cousins for that story. she cooked for the man that owned the house the movie was filmed in..

Seventies Soulchild: nice!

alt: that's a great question Seventies Soulchild .. Where from? anymore it seems like "where found" as records are revealing where we find folks ain't necesarily where they are from/

Seventies Soulchild: yep. It seems like black people were always moving. Especially after the USCT. ok my mind... lol the USCW

AYWalton: ryan---that sounds like a good article to write or to blog about.

alt: some of Selma's findings in RG105 are proving that point over and over again,

Seventies Soulchild: Yes... I really want to take a quick look at some specific RGs myself..

ryan: Yes, I have not talked to her. One of her nieces told me about it. She cooked for the man the last 40+ years..

Seventies Soulchild: I cannot wait to go to D.C. I am going to be 'busy' on vacation! lol

Daviss: later folks!!

alt: my turn to scoot... later's folks

AYWalton: that alone should have been a fun story to hear about her own expereinces as "the help". she has to have good stories. Well I too better run. Have a good one folks.

Seventies Soulchild: bye AYWalton

ryan: yes, will be back.. I will keep you posted.. later yall

Seventies Soulchild: Thanks ryan. welll vkn I have to get going. Have a good day. :}

18 Dec 2002 :: 1 Feb 2009
Copyright © 2002-2008 by AfriGeneas. All rights reserved.
AfriGeneas ~ African Ancestored Genealogy