Try a new Ancestry.com Membership!

Domain Name Registration at GoDaddy.com 120x60

Footnote.com

Note: Please follow the link(s) on the navigation bar below to search additional messages that have been archived to conserve space. If no link is visible, no messages have been archived on this board.

2011-11-17 This N That

** Chats Lobby

Start: 15:32:12
End: 15:32:12
Chatters: Test

Test: This is a test.

*LunchBunch

Start: 11:58:29
End: 13:29:02
Chatters: alt, AYWalton, bearnut2, Daviss, ProfDru, Selma, Seventies Soulchild, vkn

alt: hey Daviss, you're here early, what's up?

Daviss: Hello, how are you alt lol

alt: for an old grump, pretty good, how bout you?

Daviss: I am just sitting here eating oatmeal lol you are not old oops I mean a grump lol lol

alt: oh yes I am, went to son's b'day party Monday... he's 55, that makes me 'old' LOL

Daviss: lol lol lol I am right behind you I guess my daughter is 46 and everyone told me I started late I didn't think so

alt: I had great-grandbabies at the b'day party coming out of the ying-yang LOL

Daviss: lol lol alt I bet poppy was so proud though

alt: Yes he was.. when we sang happy birthday I noticed a tear forming in the corner of his eyes ... very touching.

Daviss: yes I can imagine alt

alt: you been on the forums today?

Seventies Soulchild: Daviss!! alt!! xoxo

alt: hello Seventies Soulchild, how ya doing?

Daviss: yes in fact that was the second thing I was doing besides eating...reading your answers to the posts

Seventies Soulchild: doing well..

alt: I was busy this morning LOL

Daviss: hi there seventies! :)

Seventies Soulchild: check this article posted on Sorenson: http://newswatch.nationalgeographic.com/2011/11/03/modern-humans-wandered-out-of-africa-via-arabia/ yet this doesn't appear in the Nat'l Geo textbooks. hmmm DAVISS!!! :}

Daviss: yesssss lol

Seventies Soulchild: just responding to your enthusiastic welcome :}

Daviss: just checking the article

Seventies Soulchild: Map makes perfect sense to me. As I mentioned in the FB DNA forum, it also mirrors the language map of the world.

alt: yeah Seventies Soulchild, been reading that 'theory'... IMHO the key is "out of Africa"... who cares in what direction :)

Seventies Soulchild: I think it is when textbooks continue to teach that the first cities were in Iraq... which I believe is 100% wrong. This is actively taught in textbooks.

Daviss: blame the txtbooks on that Texas group

Seventies Soulchild: No this goes from Middle school through college. It also explains the high numbers of black skinned people in Southern Asia.

alt: well, this is a 'euro/asiancentric' society... nothing positive came out of Africa, 'cept minerals.

Seventies Soulchild: True alt. My opinion is that the reason this is done is to place Europeans in a better light and Africans in an inferior way.

alt: no doubt....

Seventies Soulchild: Anyway, I just got one of those ridiculous holiday safety e-mails.

alt: but 'science' when open and honest keeps kicking eurocentricity in the butt.

Seventies Soulchild: Yep

alt: science & scholarship

Daviss: did you read the comments under the article seventies

Seventies Soulchild: Tip #9: If you hear a baby crying outside your door, don't open it and call the police. My thoughts: It's just a cat in heat.. go back to sleep.. lol No , let me read now.. just laughing at these holiday safety tips... lol

Daviss: I thought you might be Annette in disguise lol

Seventies Soulchild: lol no... come on I mean really a baby crying under your window?? lol

Daviss: lol lol

alt: hello Ms. Selma... how you be's LOL

Seventies Soulchild: Hi Selma

Daviss: hi there Selma!

Seventies Soulchild: At 10pm at night... lol geez Daviss... lol lol lol

Daviss: lol lol

Seventies Soulchild: Annette has some points, but not articulating her view.

Daviss: did you guys see those stupid pics of Obama

Seventies Soulchild: very well Oh god, which ones?????

Daviss: the kissing ones

Seventies Soulchild: Oh yea... Benetton... no suprise coming from THAT company. They ran an add where a brown and white horse were ehh hmmm

Daviss: someone who does not no better will zero in on it

Seventies Soulchild: Well these types of ads run frequently in Europe. Overt and covertly

Selma: On the phone

Daviss: ok Sel

alt: do y'all ever look at the comic stripe from the newspapers from 50-60-70 years ago? this stuff is tame compared to the overt racism of those days.

Daviss: oh yeah alt especially those watermelon and red lip ones sheesh

Seventies Soulchild: Oh heck yes! I've looked at some of the yearbooks here at this college...

Selma: Ok back...

Seventies Soulchild: the ads were just offensive...

alt: wb Selma & hello AYWalton.. g'Day to ya.

AYWalton: Good afternoon, all.

Selma: I am home...drove home this AM..I have one thing to say, the Inner and Outer Beltway around DC, MD and Northern VA...is the BEAR

AYWalton: howdy alt, Daviss, Ms. Selma Hey Soul Hey SoulChile!

Daviss: hi there AYWalton!!

Seventies Soulchild: Hey AYWalton

AYWalton: that traffic is insane for sure, Selma!

alt: I hear ya Selma....

AYWalton: how long did it take you to get out of that nightmare?

Selma: I stopped on the way home and purchased a Sara Lee Cheese cake which I will consume to celebrate my safe arrival home

Seventies Soulchild: Yah, we're all feeling this stupidity today...

Daviss: and the ones alt that advertise nig@@ger clothes

Selma: Actually the traffic was good AY..no problems, but just so much and so fast..

Daviss: lol @ Selma sounds good to me

Seventies Soulchild: The reason for this is the recent incident at the White House. so now we're in a high state of alert or whatever the h3ll they are calling it now.

alt: yep Daviss. these ar the days of PC when it comes to political cartoons and the like.... they are really very tame, but still hurtful.

Daviss: yep!

AYWalton: lol@ Selma and Sara Lee!

Seventies Soulchild: hi bearnut2

AYWalton: howdy bearnut2!

Daviss: hello bearnut2!

bearnut2: Hi Seventies Soulchild AYWalton Daviss Selma and alt

alt: and she's gonna blame eating a cheesecake on the traffic ;)

Selma: I swear they have been working on the Beltway since I married and moved to that area in the 1970's..

Seventies Soulchild: lol

alt: hello cuzzin bearnut2, how are ya?

Selma: Yes, I am alt...I get a Tiramasu bake for Hurricaines and Snow Storms Cake

Daviss: our taxes at work Selma lol

Seventies Soulchild: um um um Selma.. lol

Daviss: what is that Selma

bearnut2: im good cuz'n alt, how are you? been following the fb convos lol

Selma: A wonderful cake Davis. Alt..did you get the info I sent you?

AYWalton: I hear ya Selma.

Selma: Land Patents and Headrights

alt: I see you've got all of the natural and man-made disasters covered Selma

Daviss: new to me I guess ..never heard the name

alt: not yet Selma.

AYWalton: Same thing with 295--I moved here in 1990 and there has always been construction on 295---always!!

Selma: I don't drink (except in EXTREME emergencies) ..so I am entitled to do something.. LOL

bearnut2: im with ya on that Selma lol

Daviss: lol reminds me of one of my silly days in Tx

Selma: My son and daughter in law are on their way to NYC..hope they can get into the city

AYWalton: tiramsu isn't that like heaven in your mouth, Selma?

Selma: Yes, AY...go see if you can find it Daviss

AYWalton: Daviss, type the word into Google, then click Images! divine!

Daviss: ok

Selma: Davis, AY spelled it right Cures what ails you..LOL

AYWalton: I would love to see a show in NYC, but always anxious to leave once I am in the city. Too durn big for me!!

bearnut2: I think its tiramisu...

Selma: See this chat is good for something..expands our culinary knowledge It should come today alt..I mailed Sunday

Daviss: just looked at the image, looks good

AYWalton: lol

Selma: They were selling a huge Tiramisu Cake at Costco..but I contained myself and didn't buy, will buy at Xmas, cause I will have alot of company and won't eat the whole thikng

Seventies Soulchild: Tiramsu is great delicious! Maybe I should make some this weekend.

AYWalton: sounds delicious, SoulChile!

Seventies Soulchild: forgot my &.. :)

Daviss: great delicious lol

Seventies Soulchild: I'm going to need some espresso and some kaluha... ;)

AYWalton: oh wow---a high octaine tiramisu!

bearnut2: lol

Daviss: lol

Selma: LOL

alt: what you been up to bearnut2?

Seventies Soulchild: hey.. that's how I like it :} Willie Holland's story is in the news again.

bearnut2: not much alt--got some more info on Zack Cage--a free woman of color died and left him her house and land--trying to figure out who she was to him

Daviss: bearnut2 has been fiesty on DNA board lol

bearnut2: lol Daviss

Seventies Soulchild: uh oh!

Daviss: hehehehee

alt: yes she's keeping them straight Daviss :)

Seventies Soulchild: This is what Mr. Holland says about his search. "You have to put together the science and the history to make sense of it," he told me after his latest trips to West Africa. "To be honest, this is not an easy thing to do. You have to understand history, you have to understand migration patterns, you also have to understand culture. Most people would say, 'This is too much, because it's too complicated.' I would say this is a master's degree-level task."

bearnut2: I just got tired of the constant infomercial for FTDNA

Seventies Soulchild: Interesting. My bosses wife keeps trying to 'help me' with my genealogy...lol

bearnut2: who is Willie Holland?

Seventies Soulchild: The man who traced his family to Cameroonian royalty

bearnut2: ah...

Seventies Soulchild: http://cosmiclog.msnbc.msn.com/_news/2011/11/04/8639523-genes-tell-a-tale-as-big-as-africa

bearnut2: thanks Seventies Soulchild

Seventies Soulchild: He happened across it through DNA

alt: I think he is litle too ............ Seventies Soulchild

bearnut2: so where did the "master's degree-level" come into it then? lol

Seventies Soulchild: He's done additional research into his family, not just DNA research

AYWalton: Hmm.......was just scanning the article.

alt: he's like the white guys going back to Charlamagne (sp) IMHO.

bearnut2: so I guess he's the "Alex Haley" of the 21st century?

AYWalton: How does one "document" ties of a family to the 7th century? I mean c'mon now!

Seventies Soulchild: This story has been out there for some time

bearnut2: I remember the story just didn't remember the name of the man

Seventies Soulchild: I don't know, but this is his story.

bearnut2: lol AYWalton

AYWalton: kind of like the woman who says she knew her ancestor was from Ghana because somebody was called Morgana in the family.

alt: he may be 'right on' with his claim, but I need to see more than what he has shown heretofore.... The ever 'doubting thomas' LOL

AYWalton: Again----c'mon now!

Seventies Soulchild: I'm not hating on the man. This again is his story.

alt: the confedrate black soldier story with an African Royalty twist.

bearnut2: lol @ 'doubting Thomas' alt hey vkn

Seventies Soulchild: hello vkn

Daviss: hello vkn!!

vkn: Howdy Good and Beautiful Peopl also People

AYWalton: brb Daviss I am on the phone with Ms. Bertha!

Daviss: ohhh ok tell her hi

alt: me neither Seventies Soulchild ...on the hating thing, but .......... hello vkn.. how be's ya?

bearnut2: you're right Seventies Soulchild its his story so he can tell it however he wants

Daviss: You remember Bertha alt lol She is the one that went to Ft Wayne and found eons of her family during our PJ party

vkn: Bees good and U alt

Selma: About his Black Confederate...does he assume this was a Voluntary duty..

bearnut2: wish I coulda joined that pj party

Seventies Soulchild: hmm don't know guess we'll have to wait for the book. :}

alt: yes I do Daviss, sat with her at breakfast one morning and she had tears in her eyes telling me of y'all's discoveries.

Daviss: we had a blast bearnut2

bearnut2: sounds like it Daviss

Daviss: yes many tears

bearnut2: so what exactly did you guys find for her?

Seventies Soulchild: Alright, so now has anyone joined Google +??

bearnut2: nope...I'm doing good to be on facebook lol

Daviss: all kinds of family and now she has USCT's, FPOCs etc

Seventies Soulchild: me too bearnut2 lol

Daviss: not I seventies

bearnut2: wow! Daviss so she knew NONE of this before?

Daviss: nope she was totally new

bearnut2: I've had a facebook page for a couple of years but it took the African Ancestry DNA page to make me active

Selma: I know she was thrilled and totally overwhelmed all atthe same time

Daviss: she actually was just invited to go on the trip by someone

bearnut2: wow! thats awesome

Selma: I am glad that she hooked up with you and AY, Alt, and the others

alt: Google+... haven't gone there yet Seventies Soulchild, can't keep up with the 'flavor of the month" stuff in socail networking.

bearnut2: at least she had some names, dates and places for you guys to go on right

Daviss: for sure Selma

Selma: Not me seventies...I ain't that friendly

alt: bearnut2, as I understand it they took her from scant information ca the 1930's and later all the way back to documenting her family lines as FPOC

bearnut2: whoa! that is awesome--that needs to be told somewhere

Daviss: Iam telling you she was clueless bearnut2. so few names it was amazing

bearnut2: family tree magazine, ancestry, wdytya, somewhere!

AYWalton: hope you are having a good day!

alt: yep, title... 'What a difference a day makes' LOL

vkn: flavor of the day alt

bearnut2: lol

Seventies Soulchild: alright, gotta run. Have a good day all!

Daviss: I sang that song alt

Selma: It is pouring down rain here

alt: yeah vkn... that's what I call all of this "new" stuff

Daviss: glad you were ok yesterday after all that storm activity vkn

vkn: Selma is friendlier than she says she is. Poured here all day yesdiddy, also.

Selma: LOL

Daviss: AYWalton we were just telling bearnut2 about Ms Bertha

vkn: Good response to Derek alt

alt: vkn, I had to tell'em on the DNA tested AA FB about AfriGeneas Forum being around since 2005 with over 6,000 'searchable' postings on DNA research in the AA community.

Selma: Did you invite them to "join" the ongoing conversation alt.. LOL

vkn: Thanx a mil alt. Wondering if there are discussions that we might fold into a 'paper' and post to library

alt: yeah, I was 'hot' this morning vkn also had to remind Derek that Salve research is a different animal and referred him to Mary Jackson Fears book of 1995 LOL

Selma: I will have to go read the posts.. lOL

alt: Subtley(sp) Selma yes I invited them indirectly.

vkn: Yes that is a VERY detailed book by Mary Fears

Selma: Subtle don't work..LOL

alt: not with US Selma LOL

Daviss: I wednt to ABLE Books this morn and the cheapest price for book is 45 dollars wednt = went

Selma: Fears book?

Daviss: yes

vkn: AYW I left a msg on your voice om Monday

bearnut2: was this convo on fb or afrigeneas?

alt: Amazon has used paperbacks for 14.00 Daviss

vkn: daviss I posted plantings on facebook

Daviss: yes I went to your link also alt but I usually order from ABLE so I wanted to try there first

alt: okay Daviss

Daviss: ok vkn Why was I thinking she was a Tx researcher or is that another Fears person

vkn: alt about adding names to TP is there an easuer way or a short cut

alt: Selma, you're right subtle doesn't work on US folks and the stuff has to also be "new" or we don't want it re: AfriGeneas vs all of these "new" hot sites coming up on the Internet. best way for me to add to TP vkn is to keep my databse 'current' and upload a current version of GEDCOM file that has ALL of my changes, additions, etc.

Selma: Folks I have to run...need a nap after my drive and before I eat my cheese cake..see you later

Daviss: lol lol @ Selma

bearnut2: TP? alt

alt: Tribal Pages website bearnut2

vkn: alt maybe one day you will feel up to giving us all a learning

bearnut2: ah...thanks :)

vkn: AYW I worked last night on learning a new voice program. I speak and it types very cool

alt: anytime vkn.. it is the 'easiest' way I know to put up a site with most of the 'bells & whistles' without a lot of tech knowledge.

bearnut2: I've decided to go back to Family Tree Maker-- I tried Rootsweb and just wasn't "feeling" it...

ProfDru: hello gang

bearnut2: vkn is that the one they keep advertising on tv? Dragon?

AYWalton: ProfDru is in da house!

Daviss: hello ProfDru!

bearnut2: Hi ProfDru

alt: hello ProfDru

vkn: Howdy ProfDru glad to see you

ProfDru: you all too

AYWalton: what was the program, vkn?

vkn: Yes bearnut2 and one called iTalk

alt: bearnut2, for gen software,,, it's whatever you're comfortable with... most of the major programs do the same thing with little variations.

Daviss: wb profdru

vkn: also there is one un named built into the iphone4s

ProfDru: just listened to a voice clip of my grandmother being interviewed--then I went into a deep cry--Lord I miss her so much.

bearnut2: yeah alt, I used to use FTM then switched to Generations (which I LOVED) but they don't make it anymore. Kept hearing great stuff about Roots Magic (not Roots web) so gave it a try. Its just too "stuffy" for me! lol

AYWalton: I understand, ProfDru!

alt: well bearnut2, I'm a walking testimony for Roots Magic.

ProfDru: Thank God for the young people who interviewed her before she passed--at least I can listen to her voice.

Daviss: was this a interview you did profDru? and I can imagine you do miss her Dru

bearnut2: The new FTM can finally sync to Ancestry so now I've come full circle!

ProfDru: The one the young people from her church did.

AYWalton: that is because Ancestry owns FamilyTreeDNA, bearnut2

ProfDru: I only took notes during my interviews with her.

bearnut2: I have tried and tried to "like" RM but...

Daviss: oh ok were these the ones that you did the Church Genealogy with

ProfDru: right

Daviss: ok

bearnut2: I know AYWalton, they have for some time but only just now have the ability to sync with FTM Its about time! lol

alt: wonderful ProfDru, see how all of these things work out.... who would have thought the interview by those young folk would have such a lasting impact on you.... the Lord and the ancestors work in mysterious ways

bearnut2: amen cuz'n alt

ProfDru: right alt

Daviss: actually thanks for mentioning that ProfDru because it reminds me that I need to ask for the umpteenth time for a copy of a video that a cousin has that has all my aunts and uncles in it

bearnut2: Oops--Ancestry owns Family Tree Maker not FTDNA

ProfDru: brb

Daviss: my two s Daviss side

bearnut2: well, I'd better go. Gotta test my setup for a big photo shoot on sunday. Later all!

alt: good luck & best wishes cuz

vkn: best wishes bear

bearnut2: thanks!

Daviss: later

alt: vkn, you got my response on NO CHECK!!!!!! right?

vkn: Dragon AYW is the program

AYWalton: sounds like an interesting program, VKN.

vkn: Alt: Ah cant hear you lol

vkn: AYW you can download from iTunes

alt: you'd better hear me young lady LOL

AYWalton: I see.

Daviss: lol lol lol lol lol

vkn: tee hee hee

Daviss: are you shaking that one finger alt? lol

alt: fo sho Daviss

vkn: eyes rolling hands on hips neck crooked lol

Daviss: hahahahahahahaha

alt: got my early 2012 genealogy conferences lined up ... OGS in April Cleveland & NGS in May Cincinnati.

alt: and foaming at da mouf LOL LOL

vkn: lol

ProfDru: you having a seizure, alt?

AYWalton: I am supposed to do St. Louis in late February, and Samford in June, FGS in August and other local things in between.

vkn: lol

alt: a little one ProfDru

AYWalton: trying to lay low and work on projects more or less.

vkn: get em dru

ProfDru: lol right angela, laying low, hehehe

AYWalton: shuck's tis da truf, ProfDru!

vkn: Dru have you used the app evernote

alt: gonna try and concentrate may efforts toward rebuilding our AAGGMV membership & website in 2012.

ProfDru: no vkn

vkn: Will send you dru and all a link

Daviss: wow that was wierd vkn

vkn: it will make your workload easier AYW

Daviss: I was booted to a page that told me to register my password

vkn: oh dear hmmmmm

ProfDru: gotta run

alt: Mariah in action LOL

AYWalton: I have to run as well, folks. Have a great day.

vkn: a bad girl that Mariah

Daviss: I know lol

alt: well y'all.. it be's skedaddle time ...... later's

Daviss: bye alt

vkn: well yall be good still no matches alt for alonzo

alt: all in due time vkn.. they'll be coming LOL

vkn: OK

Daviss: see ya later then vkn

vkn: Talk soon daviss

18 Dec 2002 :: 1 Feb 2009
Copyright © 2002-2008 by AfriGeneas. All rights reserved.
AfriGeneas ~ African Ancestored Genealogy