Try a new Ancestry.com Membership!

Domain Name Registration at GoDaddy.com 120x60

Footnote.com

Note: Please follow the link(s) on the navigation bar below to search additional messages that have been archived to conserve space. If no link is visible, no messages have been archived on this board.

2011-11-16 SlaveHolder as Guardian?

*LunchBunch

Start: 12:10:29
End: 12:51:21
Chatters: alt, AYWalton, Daviss, fierybug08, ProfDru, Selma

Daviss: hello alt!

alt: hello Daviss, how are you?

Daviss: pretty good alt, what about you?

alt: get you anti-virus installed on your laptop?

Daviss: I was just reading your post on the DNA FB site

alt: that one was cruel, huh?

Daviss: not yet, I will install later tonight

alt: okay,

Daviss: lol alt, you were just stating the facts amazing though how you researched that far along

alt: trying to Daviss, that page IMHO has gone overboard on the specific "African" connection with so little to back it up.

Daviss: how many ports are in your area of research alt so that you will be able to pinpoint

alt: as much testing as I have had done still all I 'know' is Africa and Mandenka.. there has to be more, much more than that. I'm concentrating on just two areas.... Virginia (James River) and North Carolina (New Bern)

Daviss: oh yeah I agree alt and its good that you posted that

alt: Hello Ms. Selma... how are you today?

Daviss: It smay cause others to think and rethink their research

Selma: Doing Ok...only here for a few

Daviss: smay = may Hello there Sel!

alt: I'm hoping it will cause some of them to do some research Daviss

Daviss: yep I'am sure alt. I know it would me lol lol how's it going Selma?

alt: darn, you're staying busy Selma.. trying to 'kick us to the curb'? LOL LOL

Daviss: lol not Selma

alt: my next 'tirade' is gonna be about putting some context in the matter of time to our different levels of research.

fierybug08: hello everyone. *Virtual waves* to alt daviss Selma

Daviss: hello fierybug08, how's it going?

alt: Hello fierybug08, how are you?

Selma: Between physical therapy and babysitting, and life's other adventures...I haven't forgotten you all alt

Daviss: lol splain alt

fierybug08: it's good. I'm a bit tired...but I'm hanging in there.

Daviss: oh you mean there are other adventures Selma lol lol

Selma: LOL

alt: good to hear that Selma.. I was sweating it for a moment there LOL

Selma: Did you all read the posting on Nelson County research?

Daviss: tired from working fierybug08?

alt: on what Forum Selma?

fierybug08: yep...got a part-time job too

Selma: Let me check

Daviss: oh really fierybug08

fierybug08: reference work at a local academic library

Selma: Slave Research...Standard Genealogy Applied to AA

AYWalton: Good afternoon, all.

fierybug08: hi AYWalton

Selma: Afternoon AY

alt: Daviss, what I mean is a great-great grandparent born about 1910 is different from someone who is talking 1850 for a great-great grandparent... that's what I mean by time and level of research.

AYWalton: Howdy alt, Daviss, fierbug08, Ms. Selma!

Daviss: that sounds like a good pt job to me fierybug08

alt: Hello AYWalton, G'Day to ya.

AYWalton: Hope you are all well.

Daviss: oic alt hello AYWalton

fierybug08: I'm not complaining...but sometimes its like babysitting.

alt: Okay Selma, will check it out.

AYWalton: just catching up on reading what I missed. what is your part time job, fierybug?

Daviss: oh I read that the other day Selma

fierybug08: doing reference work and night supervisor for a local academic library.

AYWalton: oh that sounds nice, fierybug. howdy Daviss!

Daviss: night supervisor wow niceeeee howdy AYWalton

fierybug08: I got the keys.... lol

Daviss: 'hehehehe

fierybug08: I almost had to put out two people last night...arguing about 'generational issues'.

alt: just skimmed over that posting Selma.... The young man has work to do in getting past slavery, whenever it might have ended for his ancestors. hehehehehe @ fierybug08 .. other duties as indicated... police work LOL LOL

fierybug08: no...I usually just give them 'the look'.

Selma: I don't understand what he means at the end about "Guardian"

Daviss: it is a strange term for a slaveowner

alt: I don't get that either Selma ... Guardian (?)

Daviss: I have been a Guardian of a aunt in laws grandkids but did not beat and whip them or hold them in bondage

alt: he's where many of us are.... How did my folks become slaves of a particular family, when & where did they come from and ...........

ProfDru: hello gang

AYWalton: PROFDRU is in da house!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Verrrry good to see you!!!!

Selma: hey dru

Daviss: Is he under the impression they were right there all along alt going back to the beginning of their existence lol Hello ProfDru!

alt: and when he mentions 4-5 generations he is getting into what I was trying to say about time & context... a person 1-2 generations older than him has a different set of problems when they get back 4-5 generations. Hello ProfDru 1830-1840 is a heck of a lot different than 1879-1870. okay alt shut up!!!!! LOL

Daviss: what was that question you had the other day about a generation

Selma: will reread when i get home...didnt understand the guardian Did he mean to add these folks to "his" family tree as GUARDIANS

AYWalton: I just read the post. I think he was referring to the family tree program. He wants to include the info on the slave holder into it.

alt: dunno Selma, but it sounds like that is what he is saying.

AYWalton: I have used FTM in a unique way---by creating a slaveholder file. That way I can keep the ancestor as a human being apart from the ancestor as a slave. in other words---an ancestor like Uncle Sephus Bass is on two files---one as Sephus the man---from my family file---and the other is as Sephus the enslaved. but I don't have Sephus the enslaved on my family file.

Daviss: oh I see

alt: yes AYWalton, that's what he should do... and/or as vkn uses the term 'putitve' parenst (sp).

AYWalton: I think that is what he meant. the challenge is to match people up with the correct slave holder. Last name is not always the right hook up. there are challenges, and many familyhistoryprograms do not include such a way of documenting.

Daviss: I need another "Pajama' night with you AYWalton

Selma: Same last name in many instances is the least reliable

AYWalton: on the other hand in cases like the Carter slaves freed in VA and their names are known---there are ways to capture such data.

alt: there you go... "time" we have to include that in the scheme of things .. salvery could involve more than one set of slaveowners.

AYWalton: lol @ Daviss and yes, alt is correct on that account as well.

Selma: The slave owners he researches left records and there are death and birth records..plus a co hab list'

AYWalton: I think we need to have some good brainstorming sessions next time we gather in the real time/space meetings like a conference. (And tape the dialogue)

alt: good idea AYWalton . I would love to be involved in that kind of dialogue.

Daviss: that is a very good idea

AYWalton: we had tons of fun at our PJ parties and some good genealogy was going on ---in between our tweeting and online meetings and multi-tasking!

Selma: brb brb - i think

AYWalton: I wonder if we could do some interesting topic-focused calls where we could discuss similar ideas.

alt: gotta be in the Lobby or somewhere else alt ain't allowed at PJ parties, by the party folk or his wife LOL LOL LOL

Daviss: lol lol lol especially in your pjs huh alt lol

AYWalton: lol

alt: fo sho Daviss

AYWalton: alt does not want us to see how cute he is in the pjs with the feet attached. lol

Daviss: unions lol

alt: oh my goodness

Daviss: I just got a flashback of my Uncle John and his Unions lol

Selma: You all are too too funny What happened to Dru?

alt: wb Selma Dru be like the wind ... gone LOL

Selma: LOL

AYWalton: gone like the wind, or the wind done gone.

Selma: Well I have to run too...have a great day

alt: depends on who is telling ths story AYWalton LOL

AYWalton: exactly. well, I guess I shall check out myself. Everyone have a great day!

Daviss: hmmmmm well guess its time huh alt and fierybug08

fierybug08: Yep...me too lovely people. I have to get back to work. I'll catch you guys on Friday. lol

alt: looks like it Daviss & fierybug08

Daviss: ok what about thur

alt: I'll be here

Daviss: lol ok

alt: later's

18 Dec 2002 :: 1 Feb 2009
Copyright © 2002-2008 by AfriGeneas. All rights reserved.
AfriGeneas ~ African Ancestored Genealogy