Try a new Ancestry.com Membership!

Domain Name Registration at GoDaddy.com 120x60

Footnote.com

Note: Please follow the link(s) on the navigation bar below to search additional messages that have been archived to conserve space. If no link is visible, no messages have been archived on this board.

2010-06-06

* SunMornBrunch

Start: 10:32:54
End: 12:48:11
Chatters: alt, AYWalton, deannie, jhonora, Khathu, Nadasue, Selma, Seventies Soulchild, Spivey, vicky, vkn

Seventies Soulchild: Good morning Jhonora BRB gonna go make some coffee.

jhonora: Good Morning Seventies!

Spivey: Good morning.

jhonora: Good Morning Spivey

Spivey: Good morning jhonora!

jhonora: brb

Spivey: Okay.

Seventies Soulchild: Hey Khathu

Khathu: good morning sunshines

Seventies Soulchild: lol good morning to you too. . .

Khathu: i was working on my step grandmother's genealogy last night

Seventies Soulchild: I'm in the middle of tearing up Black Agenda Report for the second time this week. Oh yeah? hows it coming along?

Khathu: i love the Black Agenda Report

Seventies Soulchild: I'm not so much in love with them. . .

Khathu: i am just doing the basic

Seventies Soulchild: They miss a lot of stuff.

Khathu: census, vital records, and social security death index

Seventies Soulchild: how far back have you gone so far?

Khathu: only to her great grandparents one can only do so much online

Seventies Soulchild: yeah

Khathu: the good thing is the family stayed in the same county for over 100 years

Seventies Soulchild: That is good. I've been thinking about some thing. Want to get your thoughts. My gg grandmother Dinah Brown-Rounds is living next to an Anthony Brown on the 1880 census up through. . . hi alt. . . 1900

alt: Hello Khathu & Seventies Soulchild

Khathu: morning alt

Seventies Soulchild: I'm thinking that this could be her brother or perhaps her father? in 1880 Dinah is 18 and Anthony is 36 However, I was told that she Dinah was raised by a Goins family.

Khathu: why do you think they are related outside of the same surname?

Nadasue: Good morning, friends

alt: hello Nadasue

Nadasue: hiya alt :)

Seventies Soulchild: Well because I've seen a pattern of family in this area living in close proximity to one another. hi Nadasue

Khathu: Hello Nadasue

Nadasue: My schedule has been off these last few weeks, so I haven't been able to make it in much. Hi 70's Khathu :)

Seventies Soulchild: They are right next door. glad to have you back

alt: Seventies Soulchild .. do you ever search the census for a surname in the same county/twp over a period of years on Ancestry?

Seventies Soulchild: Yes But Brown is very common

Khathu: are there any other similiarities out the same surname

Nadasue: Thanks, 70's. I'm multi-tasking, though (lol) so will be in and out. You guys discussing some Browns?

alt: Brown for example... in xyz twp./county 1870-1880 and then print out that listing for comaprisons

Seventies Soulchild: No just that they always lived very close no more than maybe 5 or 6 houses down.

Khathu: such birth place, birth place of parents

Seventies Soulchild: Not like that alt, no

alt: thattype of listing gives spouses & parents for a quick look. and birth years for all individuals

Seventies Soulchild: ok

alt: in one view

Seventies Soulchild: hi vkn

alt: hello vkn

Seventies Soulchild: brb

Nadasue: hi vkn

vkn: Good Morning each and all

alt: just a thought Seventies Soulchild, I use that procedure quite frequently

vkn: http://www.afrigeneas.com/forumc/index.cgi?page=1;md=read;id=32498 Check this out http://www.afrigeneas.com/forumc/index.cgi?page=1;md=read;id=32498

Nadasue: Nice, vkn. Are those your people?

alt: nice looking certificate

vkn: No juat a contri to AfriGenes

Seventies Soulchild: Thanks alt for the advice. that's a nice certificate

alt: is precious Photos still active vkn? yw Seventies Soulchild

Seventies Soulchild: I wonder if its the original?

Khathu: Hello Selma and vkn

Nadasue: Hi Selma :)

Seventies Soulchild: Hi Selma

Selma: Good Sunday morning everyone

Nadasue: A good one indeed!

alt: Hi Selma nice discussion last night on ag census and the link Ingrid gave us.

Selma: I left before she p;osted the link

Seventies Soulchild: that was, but nothing on Mississippi though :(

alt: I didn't save it either Selma, but it was a .gov lin on census information

Selma: Was the Texas AG census tied to Federal census..or was it a state census...

alt: it was a Federal Census from 1850-1900... at least that was what the link referenced.

Khathu: It was a Federal census

Selma: I couldn't remember last night when they started the AG census

Khathu: Texas never really had a state census

alt: this site said 1850, or was it 1860? morning vicky

Seventies Soulchild: thatwas quick... lol good morning vicky

vicky: hello

Nadasue: Hi Vicky :)

Selma: Good Sunday mornin vicky

vicky: lol hi there everyone!

Seventies Soulchild: ok you're having that weird computer thingie again. . .

vicky: its this heat lol trying to get up to 110 today

alt: WOW!!!! THAT'S HEAT!!

vicky: Is that Nadasue I see

Nadasue: LOL... Yes, ma'am! :) I gave my explanation above. :)

Seventies Soulchild: Wow...

vicky: I know alt. Its a good thing I dont have the type of computer where you all can see me now lol lol lol

alt: I see you LOL LOL

Nadasue: Schedule has just been a mess. Haven't been able to get in here.

Seventies Soulchild: I'm gripping over the 80 here... and it has gotten cooler since it rained last night... lol griping.

Selma: Its a scorcher here

vicky: heyyy deannie

deannie: Good morning

Seventies Soulchild: good morning deannie

alt: hello deannie

Seventies Soulchild: You know spivey and jhonora were in here earlier. I wonder if they are coming back?

Selma: Morning deannie

Khathu: hello deannie

Nadasue: Yep... really hot here already. Got out of my church clothes and don't plan to leave the house again until the evening!

vicky: grinning at my granddaughter..she only had one more credit for hs grad

Seventies Soulchild: I thought it was going to be a much cooler summer like we had last year. Alright Vicky! is she going to start taking college creds?

vicky: the way the news is saying it will be a rough summer. The ocean water in the pacific is really warm now she already has been seventies

Seventies Soulchild: And the water in the Atlantic is going to be FILTHY. gggrrrrr Ok good

vicky: yes, its sad seventies

Seventies Soulchild: they capped the pipe, but there is still oil getting into the Ocean.

vicky: cap still leaks

Seventies Soulchild: I guess we are now dealing with what so many other nations have been dealing with for years... oil pollution Talk about comeuppanance

Nadasue: Yes, unfortunate that it is happening and especially under the watch of our POTUS

vicky: alt, do you know that poster Ron Coddington

alt: no I don't vicky seems like he has a 'canned query' and just inserts different names for his postings

vicky: He must be writing a book or something. I see he is always looking for military info. Mabe he needs to get with Bennie

alt: and military units

vicky: right!

Seventies Soulchild: It seems like there have been a few folks coming on here looking for research info for books.

alt: I think Bennie said something like "I ain't writing his book for him, let him do his own research'.

Seventies Soulchild: lol I don't blame him for saying that alt

vicky: I hear ya..

AYWalton: Good morning all.

alt: Hello AYWalton

Nadasue: Hi Angela :)

Seventies Soulchild: good day AYWalton

AYWalton: Howdy alt, deannie, khathu, Nadasue, Ms. Selma, SoulChile, hey Ms. Vicky!

deannie: Morning Angela

vicky: I would be willing to bet he is closer to an archive than I am alt :?

Khathu: Hello AYWalton and vicky

AYWalton: hope everyone is doing well, today.

vicky: Hello Ms Ay!

alt: I won't take that bet vicky, you're probably right

Nadasue: And you too. I guess you know I was up your way yesterday, aywalton?

AYWalton: yes, you were apartment hunting, right? So who is the Ron person you are all referring to?

Nadasue: Yep... Well, mostly just scoping out different areas, but we did visit a few apartments.

AYWalton: Where did he post?

alt: hey Selma, you're being awfully quiet lately, whas up with that?

Nadasue: We drove by the Archives and the LOC, and I looked longingly... lol

vicky: he is always on the Military Forum AYWalton

AYWalton: ahhh ok.

vicky: Nadasue are you moving?

Nadasue: Nah, my daughter (the one who just graduated from college) will be working in the DC area. I was with her checking things out.

vicky: I see

Nadasue: We were looking in Alexandria, Arlington, and just a little in DC itself. She doesn't want to live in MD

alt: how do y'all like the color-coded post of 3rdthawkins on the surname froum... nice feature, huh?

Nadasue: Has anyone had the occasion to research or make inquiries about lodge records

vicky: I see lots of visits with daughter , Nadasue, close to the archives lol

Nadasue: Yes, Vicky. I made that clear to her yesterday! :)

vicky: yes alt is is nice.. do you mean like the Eks, masons etc nadasue

Nadasue: Yes, that kind of thing.

alt: a little Nadasue... and it depends on the 'lodge' or orgainzation... locally and/or nationally.

AYWalton: such organizations are usually secret societies so to speak---outsiders would have no access to their records.

Nadasue: Let me find my data so that I can ask a more intelligent question...lol... brb. Oh, aywalton, would that be true for records from teh 1800's?

AYWalton: I have no idea, Nadasue.

vicky: I talked to the Nat Eastern Star folks about my grgrands records. They could only verify that she was a member and gave me the addy of the Local person who was the person over the chapter

alt: right vicky.. that's about as far as they will fo on a personal level

vicky: Of course the letter I wrote came back. Those folks probably had been deceased since they early 50's yes alt, those are secret organizations

AYWalton: such organizations have never been a "source" of data, but one can always include in their narratives about an ancestor that he or she was active in the organization.

alt: Masons in particular... Elks & KP's also.

AYWalton: they certainly are not going to open their books to outsiders.

Nadasue: Oh, wow. Okay, for some reason I can't locate my document with the exact name and number of the lodge, but the issue I'm having is that, although I found this (years ago) with my ancestors names listed as members and officers, the particular lodge name is NOT listed in the historical records of the organization

AYWalton: Knights of Columbus, Knights of Pythias, Daughters of Dorcas, etc---they would not be a source of information. for those doing cemetery research----one can get an idea of how active they were by noting the various headstones of some of the members. Many of them have some unique stones.

vicky: When my great grandmother died she had an Insurance policy thru them for her burial and any leavings were to go to my great grandmother and my great aunt

AYWalton: Vicky was she a Mosaic Templar members?

vicky: oops grandmother I meant to say Yes

AYWalton: wow---that is great!

vicky: I was hoping to get some info from the application but no luck so far

alt: Frequently older newspapers have Fraternal News Section.... list memebrs, meeting dates, officers.. that type of stuff, but no 'real' organization business

AYWalton: you know the headquarters was in Little Rock, Arkansas.

Nadasue: Okay, couldn't find on computer right now (which has source info) but got out the printed hard copy....Lodge was Greenleaf Lodge #412 Louisburg, NC I printed from an online book some years ago. Lists meeting dates , officers, and Member

alt: is this a Prince Hall A.F. & M, lodge?

Nadasue: members

vicky: mabe I should call them in Little Rock. They may have more info. I talked to the person headquarted in Dallas

AYWalton: good information to put into your records.

Nadasue: Ummmm it doesn't say on here, ... unfortunately, back when I printed this, I wasn't a very good researcher and didn't note anything that wasn't on this page but since that time, I've gone to the lodge in Louisburg, and took a picture of the sign ( no one was there, and no response yet to calls).. and on the sign is does say A.F. & M.

vicky: I wish the address I had was not a RR addy Aywalton then mabe I could do a street view

Nadasue: and they even have a web site, but it is a different name and there is no mention in their history of this name or these members

AYWalton: it might not be an active lodge anymore. If there is a city directory, you might get some info.

vicky: It may have been a country addy in those days. What yr Nadasue

alt: Prince Hall Accepted & Free Masons

Nadasue: http://jamesajohnson413.ncmason.org/ Here is web site. They listed all of the historical names and years (active and inactive - awa the years active) but mine was not included There is no year on this page that I printed, but the ancestors of mine who were members were0's born in the 186 1860's

alt: that's nice Nadasue ... most chapters/lodges do not have websites... those 'older guys' are not that savy 'technically'

Nadasue: They are my grandfathers older brothers

Seventies Soulchild: ok I'm going to have to get going, got to finish up this laundry...

AYWalton: Only thing on the webpage is the seal?

vicky: Nada Sue do you have the certificate that they give them

Seventies Soulchild: Have a good day all\

AYWalton: later SoulChile?

Nadasue: No... let me see what I sent

alt: got company.. son is here from NJ later's y'all

vicky: bye alt

Nadasue: Hmmm... they must be revamping it. It says under construction. No they had all their history and links and stuff on it

vicky: intresting

Nadasue: I'm going to do a letter, since my calls haven't been returned. And I wll stop by again on my next trip to Louisburg. Grand Lodge dues paid were $9.80.. what does that mean?

deannie: bye have a nice day

AYWalton: I would save my energy, and just make the notations that an ancestor was a member. they are closed societies.

vicky: It means that that was the amy pd prolly for the year amount pd sheesh i cant spell

AYWalton: they might see your request as an annoyance, and an invasion of their privacy---and might not understand the genealogical nature of your inquiry.

vicky: 1860 did you say NadaSue

Nadasue: ahhh.... okay, thanks aywalton @vicky they were born in the 1860's

vicky: oh I misunderstood

AYWalton: And other than that they were members---nothing else will be forthcoming especially to an outsider.

Selma: Gotta run folks..have a great day... STAY OUT of the HEAT

Nadasue: Okay, thanks so much for the advice.:)

vicky: bye selma

AYWalton: she is right it is hot and steamy here, too. very very humid.

vicky: terrible here too AYWalton

Nadasue: I guess I'll be going too then. Hope you two have a great day!

AYWalton: you too.

vicky: you leaving us Nadasue oops

AYWalton: she's gone!

vicky: I see

AYWalton: guess it's just us, huh?

vicky: lol and its still early

AYWalton: hope she finds her ancestor----maybe a nice photo of the headstone will be nice to find. I know, I guess some folks went to church---or they slept in late. I still have to get a place to stay for Samford. Selma is not going after all. Her name never came off the waiting list.

vicky: awwww

AYWalton: I know.

vicky: I know she is very disappointed will you get a room on or off campus

AYWalton: Oh off campus. Can't take college dorms. Too old for that!

vicky: lol I hear ya better do that early if you haven't already.

AYWalton: quite true. I shall do it today.

vicky: others may have the same idea, You want one close by

AYWalton: Will go through Price Line. Yes one with a shuttle. Wonder where Jhonora is this morning.

vicky: dunno. he goes to early Mass Is he going

AYWalton: well, perhaps preparing for his family event.

vicky: oh yeah thats right well my friend, I guess we can leave now.

AYWalton: I suppose so. You have a great one. Take care.

vicky: gonna do some more newspaper reading

18 Dec 2002 :: 1 Feb 2009
Copyright © 2002-2008 by AfriGeneas. All rights reserved.
AfriGeneas ~ African Ancestored Genealogy