Try a new Ancestry.com Membership!

Domain Name Registration at GoDaddy.com 120x60

Footnote.com

Note: Please follow the link(s) on the navigation bar below to search additional messages that have been archived to conserve space. If no link is visible, no messages have been archived on this board.

2011-10-17 Ft Wayne • Yatah & more

*LunchBunch

Start: 12:04:07
End: 13:12:00
Chatters: alt, AYWalton, Selma, Seventies Soulchild, yatah

alt: hello yatah, how ya doing today?

yatah: hello i am doing good and y ? thanks

alt: doing well thanks....

yatah: good not many come in ?

alt: yeah, folks are late coming in today....

yatah: oh ok i got it how is your family history? mine is ok

alt: coming along fine... I hear you're making progress.

yatah: yea it is need more digg up deep

AYWalton: Good afternoon, all.

alt: well you just have to keep digging yatah

AYWalton: howdy alt and yatah!

alt: Hello AYWalton, how are ya today?

yatah: yea alt

AYWalton: doing good and you, alt? hope you are both well, today.

alt: it's a never ending process yatah, the more you learn the more you want to learn. Hanging in there AYWalton, can't complain.

AYWalton: you ready to travel, alt?

alt: just about... how bout you?

AYWalton: I will be. Not yet, though. I am a day-before traveler. Lol

alt: you are coming on the Baltimore bus(s), right?

AYWalton: Yes, I shall be there with the crew. Keli1 will also be on that bus.

alt: and you'll get there Weds?

AYWalton: yes, Wednesday afternoonn/evening. and you?

alt: oh okay, then you'll you'll have an AfriGeneas traveling companion.

AYWalton: oh yes.

yatah: yea i will work on that i think davis and mintz preety good as far

AYWalton: and a local geneabuddy---you remember Argytmc, from Rocky Mount. She is also coming wassup in your area, yatah?

alt: guess we''l get there weds. evening plan to leave home between 2-3 PM bout a 3 hr. drive.

yatah: need dig deep on mack family

AYWalton: hey there, SoulChile!

Seventies Soulchild: good afternoon AYWalton, alt, and yatah

AYWalton: where is the Mack line based, yatah?

alt: Oh really, it will be good to see her and catch up with her research AYWalton

yatah: south carolina

AYWalton: ahhh ok. Low Country, or further inland, yatah?

alt: Hello Seventies Soulchild, are you coming down from a busy week?

Seventies Soulchild: yes I'm still a little tired alt.

yatah: i not think i have mash or mack family on list cenus

Seventies Soulchild: I'm trying to get back into the rhythm of things.

yatah: with angline on list i not see

Seventies Soulchild: I was just reading this article on the root someone put on my fb newsfeed. http://tinyurl.com/3gr4plf They are really trying to step up their game in regards to AA genealogy

yatah: still in south carolina, st matthews or orangburg ethier

Seventies Soulchild: oops kicked myself out... :}

AYWalton: I guess they are trying to expand their focus, perhaps. wb SoulChile.

alt: I must have too many windows open, awfully slow loading.

AYWalton: I am reading the article right now. I am still continually concerned at how the active and vibrant African American genealogy community is seldom involved in some efforts of many scholars. There are those who are focused, skilled, and committed to proper citation and research strategies.

Seventies Soulchild: The conference is coming up this weekend. Anyone have any specific areas of knowledge that they plan on expanding while there?

yatah: when conference come up and where ?

Seventies Soulchild: I agree. There's a lot going on at the local levels I think.

AYWalton: the program schedule will dictate which sessions I attend as I am also presenting, but I do hope to take time most of Thursday to do some research at the Library. yatah she is referring perhaps to the Summit in Indiana. Info found on www.blackgenealogyconfere.com

Seventies Soulchild: Which of your presentations was approved for the conference AYWalton?

AYWalton: I am presenting 4, Soulchile. All were approved.

alt: yeah, I'm just interested in hearing differing approaches to common techniques/problem areas.

Seventies Soulchild: ok congratulations! were = was

yatah: another meeting in salt lake city ? ga i mean ?

AYWalton: say that again, yatah?

Seventies Soulchild: Its in Indianapolis, IN yatah.

AYWalton: in Ft. Wayne, Indiana, you mean, SoulChile.

Seventies Soulchild: yes, my mistake... :) I don't know why I said that.

yatah: i mean salt lake city in utah ?

Seventies Soulchild: Are either of you going to tweet from the conference?

alt: not me

AYWalton: next year the International Black Genealogy Summit will be in Salt Lake City. Yes I shall be tweeting, and blogging the whole time, SoulChile.

Seventies Soulchild: ok I'll be looking for you on twitter

AYWalton: wonderful! Will probably start tweeting from the bus in Baltimore. lol

Seventies Soulchild: lol

alt: I'm not planning on doing much research, if any, my thing will be the 'sessions' & networking with other attendees.

AYWalton: I have already told other folks to look for alt--he will be where the action is. :)

Seventies Soulchild: :}

alt: oh, oh she's put me on the spot LOL LOL

AYWalton: yatah, do you hope to attend next year's event in Salt Lake City? nah alt, just telling folks who wanna hang near the center of the action to scout you out! lol

yatah: oh ok i live in utah and 45 to 50 min away from where i live

Seventies Soulchild: that is awesome!

yatah: i hope so

AYWalton: oh that's wonderful!!!!!!! do you get to the Family History Library often?

yatah: no i not have time lol

AYWalton: And are you planning to present, yatah? Oh gracious---in the genealogy capital of the world?

alt: that's wonderful yatah, being so close you must try and make it to the summit in Utah.

AYWalton: Hey there, Ms. Selma!!

Seventies Soulchild: Hey Selma!

yatah: if i have time since i have last two little one with me

alt: Hi Selma, how are ya?

yatah: will see

AYWalton: I am sure that they must keep you busy.

Selma: Good afternoon everyone...alt, ay, seventies and yatah

AYWalton: But you have a year to find a good baby sitter for at least one day in Salt Lake with your genebuddies. lol

yatah: yeah they are 21 month apart yea good thing my older twins at school

AYWalton: How are you doing, Ms. Selma?

alt: what are the ages yatah? perhaps you can take them with you.

AYWalton: You dancing on the good foot yet?

Selma: Doing Ok... No not yet.. LOL.. Have Dr.s appointment tomorrow...will probably cut down my physical therapy sessions to twice a week

Seventies Soulchild: Sounds like you are getting better Selma. That's great.

AYWalton: hope therapy is not too painful.

yatah: twins 11 and little one 4 half and 2 half soon will 3 yrs

Seventies Soulchild: You'll be chasing those grand babies around in no time! Or either they'll be chasing you! lol

AYWalton: wow you are indeed a busy soul, yatah.

Selma: No therapy is good.. No yatah..the last thing you need to do is take a 4 year old and 2 year old to the libraryto do research.. LOL

AYWalton: lol, that would be a recipe for disaster, taking children that young to a library. Even the children's story corner might not allow mom to do any good research.

Selma: I am surprised the LDS doesn't have chlld care their like IKEA

Seventies Soulchild: oh you said my favorite word... IKEA... lol

AYWalton: they might, but you know genealogists want to spend an entire day . Not sure that they would want that to happen.

Selma: LOL That is true AY...probably get excited over a "find" and leave the kids.. LOL

AYWalton: I just read an article about a woman arrested for leaving her children in the Barnes and Nobles children's corner while she went off shopping or doing an errand. She had apparently done this before and was using the store's children's corner as a babysitting service.

Seventies Soulchild: wow.

AYWalton: http://tinyurl.com/3zhraco (and of course she had to be a sister.)

alt: y'all get a chance to read Lisa L.'s part 2 of her lacke City, FL story?

AYWalton: this was only last month.

alt: lacke= Lake City

AYWalton: where was Lisa's story, alt?

yatah: selma, they scream and loud

alt: I think on the gen/hist forum.. a link to her blog.

yatah: if i take them to fhl

AYWalton: Selma, go to google and type: women arrested for leaving children in bookstore

Selma: Yes, I understand yatah...my kids were kinda wild...LOL

AYWalton: You will have several links come up to the same story.

yatah: lol

alt: Seventies Soulchild, what was your 'take' on the Roots story?

AYWalton: it is a strange story. I guess she was leaving them in a "safe" place, but still---she left the store to run errands.

Selma: What roots story alt? Unfortunately, there don't appear to be any "safe places"

AYWalton: quite true, Selma and that is perhaps why it was not so wise to do that. And it is said she left them for 7 hours on more than one occasion. The children it was noted were well behaved, but still----that is a long time to be without a parent or adult who knows who you are.

alt: Seventies Soulchild gave us a link earlier to a story in Roots website Selma

Selma: 7 Hours...wow

AYWalton: what if the store had an emergency and had to close for some reason. Or what if a local pedophile happens to visit the "children's corner" in libraries or bookstores? anything could have happened. And the children had no adult whom they knew close by.

Selma: I agree with a friend who says "common sense" is not too "common" anymore

Seventies Soulchild: http://tinyurl.com/3gr4plf

AYWalton: Well put it this way, Selma, it is was "common" everybody would have it. Common sense is not too common.

Selma: LOL

alt: thanks Seventies Soulchild

AYWalton: did anyone see the moving image of Bernice King with her head on her father's memorial?

Seventies Soulchild: alt, my take on the Roots story is pretty interesting. Especially the bit about the Fulbe

Selma: Thanks seventies...I met the 2 of them at W & M..a number of years ago

AYWalton: http://tinyurl.com/3zf3yfo

Seventies Soulchild: AYWalton have you been on the GB group lately?

AYWalton: GB?

Seventies Soulchild: Guinea-Bissau

AYWalton: oh? not really. have you?

alt: did I see where African Ancestry now has an admixture test available somethin like MyDNAMix.com

Seventies Soulchild: yes went on this AM for a hot second.

AYWalton: I think I left the group, SoulChile.

Seventies Soulchild: I was looking for something I had posted there a while back.

Selma: Thanks Angela...

AYWalton: There was too much stuff on it that was more distraction than useful.

Seventies Soulchild: I wonder, are they hooked up with 23andme now? Rick Kittles gave his recommendation for the site.

AYWalton: And lots of posts from folks, whom I don't know about things that just were not genealogical.

Seventies Soulchild: I don't mind the things that aren't genealogical, but at least make them about the ethnic groups of GB

alt: what is interesting to me on the African country thing Seventies Soulchild is that when I was in school, years & years ago, the map of Africa only had about 13-14 countries... today there is something like 54-55.

Selma: and most of them were under control of colonial powers

Seventies Soulchild: right.

AYWalton: I left the group as I was getting too many messages and not enough that were of interest.

Seventies Soulchild: And now there is a north and south Sudan as of August.

AYWalton: just saw the time, gotta run folks. Have a wonderful day.

Seventies Soulchild: you too AYWalton

Selma: Obama is coming to VA tomorrow, he is in NC today

alt: The DNA African Ancestored page on FB has maps of Africa dating from different time periods from like 1744.

Seventies Soulchild: I saw his speech on cspan online I haven't joined that group yet, alt

alt: the early map is great because it was from prior to the colonization of Africa.

Seventies Soulchild: Yes and the Sudan was very large...

Selma: I have to run folks...have a great day

Seventies Soulchild: Ok I have to get going, lots of work to do. I'll try to catch up with y'all tomorrow evening.

Selma: Bye

alt: take care Selma

Seventies Soulchild: bye all

alt: guess I'm outa here too.. take care yatah.

yatah: i better go now i draw something

18 Dec 2002 :: 1 Feb 2009
Copyright © 2002-2008 by AfriGeneas. All rights reserved.
AfriGeneas ~ African Ancestored Genealogy