Try a new Ancestry.com Membership!

Domain Name Registration at GoDaddy.com 120x60

Footnote.com

Note: Please follow the link(s) on the navigation bar below to search additional messages that have been archived to conserve space. If no link is visible, no messages have been archived on this board.

2011-09-18 Legacy Webinar 26 Oct ProfDru

*SunMornBrnch

Start: 11:34:02
End: 12:41:12
Chatters: alt, David, Khathu, ProfDru, Seventies Soulchild, vkn

ProfDru: hello soulchile

Seventies Soulchild: Hey ProfDru and alt. Thought no one was going to show up! lol

ProfDru: hello alt

alt: Hello ProfDru & Seventies Soulchild... how are y'all today?

ProfDru: good

Seventies Soulchild: Doing well. Sounds like you have a good time at the Franklin Co. genealogy event. alt

ProfDru: Just found out the solution to the problem with recording voice on my netbook. I tried a USB microphone and the sound was clearer than that of the other ports.

alt: yeah Seventies Soulchild, it was great networking and Tony Burroughs was outstanding in his presentations.

Seventies Soulchild: That's great ProfDru

ProfDru: when was this event?

alt: ah so ProfDru ,, technology

Seventies Soulchild: What were his subjects alt? hello David

ProfDru: I have several upcoming presentations on using voice technology.

David: Godd morning all!

ProfDru: hello david

David: Good morning I mean

Seventies Soulchild: For genealogy or just for technology?

ProfDru: all genealogy related events right now

Seventies Soulchild: ok

alt: Yesterday ProfDru ... He did 3 Seventies Soulchild .. The Nature of Genealogy,,, Idnetifying Slave Owners & Creating Order from Chaos.... learned something in each.

ProfDru: therefore I will emphasize uses of voice technology for genealogy projects.

alt: Good Morning David

ProfDru: ok alt

Seventies Soulchild: Those sound interesting. Now which one did you find to be the most informative?

ProfDru: one of the events will be the Legacy webinar on Oct. 26.

Seventies Soulchild: ok I'll check the Afrigeneas calendar for that ProfDru. Thanks

alt: The Nature of Genealogy... he used a case study of an ancestor who fought in the War of 1812.... His examples involved the study of the War itself... the history & geography of the battles, the many resources available and where they may be found. the paper trail was amazing and most of the information was found in sources I had never thought, or heard of using.

Seventies Soulchild: That does sound really good. I bet that can be applied to all studies about ancestors who were in wars through the years.

alt: oh yes... and just the 'approach' applies to almost any aspect of genealogy.

Seventies Soulchild: Anything good from the slavery lecture?

ProfDru: where were these lectures, alt?

alt: yes, at a workshop given in Columbus, Ohio this past weekend ProfDru

Seventies Soulchild: Someone posted a question of me regarding their manumitted family in Dallas Co. AL yesterday.

ProfDru: ok alt

alt: okay Seventies Soulchild ,,, the question?

Seventies Soulchild: Just about records... I haven't answered them yet. They wanted to know where they could find information on how to prove that their family was in fact manumitted. The number one place would be the courthouse.

David: Hello VKN

ProfDru: hello vkn

Seventies Soulchild: FPOC had to register with the county about their status

vkn: Good morning to all

Seventies Soulchild: good morning, vkn

alt: hello vkn... are congrats in store for a 'successful' migration to a 'new' server? for the Forums

vkn: Alt David Dru Seventies Yall be looking good this morning

David: Thanks but I haven't brushed my hair. You look great yourself!

ProfDru: VKN, will you be attending the Atlanta Expos this year?

Seventies Soulchild: tenki tenki

vkn: It was successful Alt

alt: wonderful vkn!!!!!!!!!

vkn: Yes ProfDru I will and looking forward to seeing you Will you be there Dru?

ProfDru: not sure if I'll be attending; still thinking about it. If I do, it will only be on Saturday.

vkn: Alt are you going to Ft Wayne

alt: oh yeah vkn.... if'n the Creek don't rise I'll be there LOL LOL

vkn: Maybe I should ask how many to Ft Wayne? I hear that the registrations are slow

ProfDru: lol alt So many conferences the end of the year. AAHGS begins next week in Little Rock.

vkn: Are you presenting at Ft Wayne Dru

ProfDru: I will not be attending AAHGS, but will attend ASALH in Richmond, VA. No, I was not invited to present; this year it was by invitation only. Angela will be presenting several workshops.

vkn: ahhh I recall your telling us that Dru

alt: I can imagine vkn, they usually are slow... I haven't registered for the Conf. as yet, but have my hotel reservation, plan to register the 1st of th month for the conf. ... didn't have the 400-500 bucks to tie up for a couple of months.

ProfDru: I will be presenting at Roots Tech, however. Also will be presenting at ASALH

Khathu: Hello everyone

alt: hello Khathu.. how are ya?

vkn: ahhhhhh Alt we gotta hold the penny til it hollers

ProfDru: hello khathu

Seventies Soulchild: good morning Khathu

vkn: Good morning Khathu

ProfDru: I see the names of a lot of the big dogs of genealogy on the program for Roots Tech. Looking forward to attending this event.

vkn: When is the RootsTech So many conferences

ProfDru: early February in Salt Lake City.

Seventies Soulchild: Just wondering why so many genealogist at a technical type conference?

vkn: ahhhh ok Tell us about your webinar ProfDru

ProfDru: The conference focuses on technology for genealogist, soulchile My webinar will focus on using voice technology for genealogist such as recording notes, comments, interviews, etc. These voice files can be added to various programs such as word, family trees, and even sent as attachments in email. Roots Tech is a must do for me since Technology is also my profession.

alt: good for you ProfDru.. take it to the next level... congrats!!!

ProfDru: thanks alt a lot of the voice recording software is already on computers or on devices that most people have such as cell phones.

vkn: Many congrats ProfDru Hope we will all be present and the date is ?

ProfDru: BTW, I will be starting a new position on October 1st as an Instructional Technologist. Will still be with the same university.

Seventies Soulchild: Ok ProfDru.. gotcha! :} BTW do you belong to AfricanAmerican women in technology?

ProfDru: October 26th no, soulchile, I have not heard of this organization.

Seventies Soulchild: They also have conferences each year as well as a network for employment and mentoring program. I joined while I was in the military.

ProfDru: I'll look them up, soulchile. Thanks for the tip.

Seventies Soulchild: not to get off topic here

alt: ProfDru, Tony talked about an app with "audacity" and transferring oral interviews to digiatl usin phone.

vkn: Double congrats re new position. Gonna hitch my wagon to your star ProfDru lol

ProfDru: lol vkn sounds good alt

alt: congrats on your 'new' position ProfDru

ProfDru: thanks alt

alt: and also an app which transcribes an oral interview into a written PDF file. from a "taped interview"

Seventies Soulchild: nice. is that on Ipad or Iphone?

alt: one of 'em Seventies Soulchild LOL

vkn: Is that Dragon or something similar?

Seventies Soulchild: lol

ProfDru: soulchile, I see that website for AA Women in Technology.

Seventies Soulchild: ok

alt: dunno you send the mpg file to a place somewhere in Conn. and they have the process which 'translates' the spoken word into a written product.

ProfDru: Dragon does convert spoken work into written.

Seventies Soulchild: Ok like a service

ProfDru: There are probably also other software or services for this also.

Khathu: I recently discovered through examining the Indianapolis Recorder that one of my ancestor operated the only AA hotel in the area

ProfDru: great khathu

Seventies Soulchild: Do tell

Khathu: It was named the Planet Hotel

alt: Khathu.. In Indy or the surrounding area ?

vkn: I bought Dragon but have not installed. Hoping it will help when fingers fail

Seventies Soulchild: Would that place them in the green book for AA travel?

Khathu: in Indianapolis and the surrounding area another founded the St. Paul Baptist Church in Indianapolis as well

Seventies Soulchild: You have some movers and shakers in the family Khathu, congrats

ProfDru: Dragon is an excellent product. Gotta run

Seventies Soulchild: bye ProfDru

vkn: niters dru

Seventies Soulchild: David is awfully quiet.

alt: The IR is a bomb!!!!! I'm finding all kinds of good stuff on my Indiana roots from the very early 1900's all the way up to 2005.

Seventies Soulchild: :}

vkn: I hear it is a bomb alt. I have not tried as yet but plan to do so soon

Seventies Soulchild: is this newspaper online?

Khathu: It is has been a gold mine on my Betsy Ransom-Harris line. I have also found several pictures of the family yes it is online

alt: Khathu, if you search on 'Greencastle' all of those Miles, Forepaugh, Due, Thomas & Adams folks are my people

Khathu: okay. mine are the Duerson, Harris, Shield, Cowherd, Floyds

alt: http://tinyurl.com/4x4sld5

Seventies Soulchild: Thanks alt

Khathu: Daisy Cowherd's death made the front page

alt: gotcha Khathu

vkn: Mine are Lyles, Ferguson,

Seventies Soulchild: now did she own the hotel?

alt: you too vkn ...

Seventies Soulchild: Mine are Washingtons... lol the most common name in this country

Khathu: No her aunt Emma Harris Duerson along with her husband Frank C. Duerson owned the hotel

vkn: thankee and Seventies what about the WPA records?

Khathu: It was reported that Frank Duerson was going into Kentucky to open a few more not sure if he ever did though

Seventies Soulchild: I was browsing through the internet this morning about that vkn. I guess those records are in RG69

vkn: David any WPA resource in your view

Seventies Soulchild: I was trying to find out if I could find where my uncle Scott Washington worked for the WPA in Detroit, MI

alt: Khathu, I'm sure our people knew each other as the small comunities of Brazil & Greencastle were only 20 miles apart and there were many occurences in the IR of meetings between the churches from those 2 communities.

Seventies Soulchild: On the old man's WW II draft card, he lists himself as working for the WPA

Khathu: i agree alt

Seventies Soulchild: I am really looking for employee records for WPA He jumped from MS, to OK to MI...

vkn: Guess NARA is the place to check unless Lexis is a source seventies

Seventies Soulchild: I am still looking at NARA to see if I can get additional information I'm totally obsessed with this food blog! lol this is for you vkn http://tinyurl.com/3fkmjzq

vkn: thankee seventies

Seventies Soulchild: you're welcome

alt: I would imagine that the WPA would have regional & sectional offices that would monitor employment and other activities similar to the field offices of the Freedman's Bureau.

Seventies Soulchild: I also looked at the online resources for Michigan. The only thing I could find was about the art projects and building project that was done there.

alt: Khathu, what other types of searches have you done on the IR website other than names?

Khathu: it has just been family surnames so far i plan to start looking up businesses, churches and civic groups next

alt: I'm having good fortune looking at churches, activities and other activities the family may have been involved in.

Seventies Soulchild: I have to go. I'll talk to you all tomorrow.

alt: is it quittin time already? LOL

vkn: okies what is new with you guys are you going to ft wayne khathu

alt: me.just the workshop yesterday vkn. I had forgotten what a great speaker Tony Burroughs is.

vkn: ahhh he is good

alt: very good vkn ..

Khathu: no i am not okay alt have a great week

alt: Khathu.. the IR will keep you busy LOL

18 Dec 2002 :: 1 Feb 2009
Copyright © 2002-2008 by AfriGeneas. All rights reserved.
AfriGeneas ~ African Ancestored Genealogy