Try a new Ancestry.com Membership!

Domain Name Registration at GoDaddy.com 120x60

Footnote.com

Note: Please follow the link(s) on the navigation bar below to search additional messages that have been archived to conserve space. If no link is visible, no messages have been archived on this board.

2011-09-12 Sports A Plenty

*LunchBunch

Start: 12:02:11
End: 13:24:40
Chatters: 3rdthawkins, alt, AYWalton, Daviss, HistoryBuff, Selma, Seventies Soulchild, vkn

3rdthawkins: hey alt

alt: hi 3rdthawkins, missed ya yesterday... how are ya today?

3rdthawkins: doing good, of course was watchig the games yesterday :} sittin' here lookin' over my info i have for my Sanders line, waitin and preparing to receive more info from a cousin...........I sure hope it has more info on the siblings of my grgr gf and their children, seem like they just disappeared off the map hello daviss

Daviss: hello alt and 3rd

3rdthawkins: with a capital "D"

alt: Hello daviss. how are ya?

3rdthawkins: Daviss

Daviss: I am good thanks

alt: Cards won ... Browns lost, bummer boo hoo

Daviss: I saw that alt I thought of you :?

alt: didin't watch the Cards, but I guess Cam Newton sort of 'showed off'

Daviss: yes, he was very very good

3rdthawkins: he did good I hear, but have work to do....it was a surprise to see the Bengals pull out a win

Daviss: over 400 yards

3rdthawkins: I think the Panthers were up but the Cards came back

Daviss: he looked like a pro

3rdthawkins: but that boy is BIG! it's like a 30 year old man playing with a bunch of kids,

alt: I would guess so Daviss, his 'stats' sure looked good in the papers.

Daviss: it was up and down all the way 3rd

3rdthawkins: oh, ok, didn't get to see it, watched the Steelers get pounded by Ravens, and my 'Skins get it done against the Giants and of course, saw Tony No-Mo' choke against the Jets

Daviss: I have not watched the skins since my cousins hubby retired

alt: who was that Daviss?

3rdthawkins: good, but now is the time to start watchin'

Daviss: Charlie Taylor He was coaching in the backfield

alt: oh yeah.. wide receiver 'deluxe'

Daviss: yep!

alt: he was a 'bad dude' LOL

3rdthawkins: must been when they were playing good, good time to stop watch them watching

Daviss: yes he was alt very very good lol

alt: he used to kill my Browns.

Daviss: lol I have always liked the Cowboys also

alt: do I hear a tinge of TX/AZ bias? LOL LOL

Daviss: When I lived in Dallas I used to make all the games.. That was when the big boys used to play Guys like Stauback, Thomas and others

alt: Bob Hayes & Cornell Green (?)

Daviss: tickets were in my range then lol

3rdthawkins: it seem like anybody with an Arizona connection likes the Cowboys....man! Are the Cards that Bad!

Daviss: Bob Hayes yes!!

3rdthawkins: the only reason why I stopped liking the Cowboys because I didn't like how they let Jimmy Johnson go, and the fact that they let him go, but that's over now

Daviss: no the cards are not that bad but lots better now

alt: maybe because the Cards are a 'recent' addition to the southwest in football 3rdthawkins

Daviss: right alt!

3rdthawkins: true, Cowboys been doing their thing for a while, since the 70s at least

Daviss: before they came there were peeps who really like Green Bay and of course Dallas

3rdthawkins: Green Bay won the first ever Super Bowl

Daviss: Black folks loved Dallas for football for years almost as much as they loved the Dodgers in BB lol

3rdthawkins: so, no one liked the Steel Curtain D??

alt: and then there was Houston Oilers before their move and the Texas team that Khathu's couisn played for before they became the KC chiefs.

3rdthawkins: Dallas Texans

Daviss: right!

alt: so the SW had football, just not in AZ.

3rdthawkins: right, the Cards were in St. Louis they were in Chicago before that

Daviss: It was really hard her to take hold of the Cardinals at first. We really wanted a team from scratch

3rdthawkins: yeah I can understand that daviss

AYWalton: Greetings, all. hi 3rd

3rdthawkins: hey AY

Daviss: Hello AYWalton!!

AYWalton: howdy alt, hey daviss!!!

alt: hello AYWalton ,, G'day to ya.

AYWalton: hope you are all well.

3rdthawkins: doing good, thx

AYWalton: I liked your blog post daviss! nice piece on Zephyr Wright. I had hoped she was still living. but she would be quite old if she was.

Daviss: thank you AYWalton!! I appreciate your comment

3rdthawkins: Ay isn't into football, so she's not shoutin' 'bout the Ravens' victory over the Steelers

AYWalton: oh we won?

alt: BTW 3rdthawkins, before I forget to say it.... I'm really happy that you're making so many connections with 'new' surnames and branching out into more detail with the family 'histroy'

3rdthawkins: yep, smashed them

AYWalton: I didn't even know we played.

Daviss: funny all those things that are similar

AYWalton: that's nice. I did not have the TV on much this weekend.

3rdthawkins: rained on the Steelers parade, and pun is intended, since it rained in Baltimore yesterday during the game

AYWalton: All the 911 coverage was too depressing so I never turned it on at all. and truly had no idea we were playing. I guess we should be since the season is underway. but even so--I don't get excited about sports that much.

3rdthawkins: yep AY, football season has officially begun I hear you on the 9-11 AY, they did do something during the games we in America are conditioned to see hope and inspiration, when they show those documentaries, it is too sad, we're use to bravery and survival, that wasn't the case for a lot of people in this situation

Daviss: alt, I read your last response on the military forum.. I was hoping for a name though

alt: an interesting prospective 3rdthawkins, but I'll leave it alone LOL

Daviss: instead of "he" being used

alt: me too Daviss, that guy is certainly not averse about using his ancestor's name.

AYWalton: which thread is that, alt?

Daviss: that is the one about the confederate myth

AYWalton: ahhh ok.

Daviss: I was hoping that the poster would have identified their ancestor..

3rdthawkins: I thought he did, but guess not.....

Daviss: no 3rd he/she did not

alt: not by name 3rdthawkins

3rdthawkins: ok

Daviss: I remember when William told us about his ancestor. but I forgot the name

alt: they know we'll be checking him out if they identify that ancestor by name LOL LOL

Daviss: lol @ alt

alt: Winburn I think Daviss

Daviss: oh ok alt

AYWalton: good point about the myth of the thousands. A story here and there does not prove the myth.

alt: his story certainly IMHO does NOT address the Black Confederate Soldier, but rather one of those 'believe it or not' stories.

Daviss: when I was cruising the newspapers I ran across one picture ..I forgot to make note of the page

AYWalton: Hey Ms. Selma!!!

alt: hello Selma.. how are ya today?

Daviss: Hello Selma!!

3rdthawkins: hello Selma

AYWalton: how's the foot? dancing on the good foot yet?

Selma: The foot is sore...just came in from physical therapy..no .. NO dancing

AYWalton: oh well, just do what the therapist says do.

alt: be patient Selma...

Selma: I am alt.. Lol

AYWalton: when will you be back to your old self.

Selma: Probably after Xmas..at the rate I am going here.. LOL The Myth as presented..is that 1,000s of black men dropped their picks and shovel to fight

alt: well, you've got plenty to keep you busy with RG 105 LOL

Selma: for their continued enslavement

AYWalton: exactly!!!!

alt: yes Selma, that was my point to "Jan"... the onesy-twosy situations don't cont toward the myth.

AYWalton: that is always what they do---give examples of one guy---and then say, "told ya!"

alt: there were accounts of AA's who served with the Union Army as soldiers, but they were 'passing', which I think was his ancestor's situation.

Daviss: I wonder what the actual legit numbers are

3rdthawkins: I think it should be made clear that when you guys talk about the myth, that you're not saying not one AA ever served in the Confederate Army, of course ppl (like myself) will take you the wrong way in what you mean

AYWalton: I know that there were 55 in training at Appomattox at the Surrender. I think with a few exceptions---is about it. as much as they wanna say---they don't exist.

alt: I think we're saying 'served' as in mustered-in mustered-out and identified as Black 3rdthawkins

Selma: Well the man who wrote the Negro Confederate which should have been entitled Negroes Servicing the Confederacy.. in a footnote mentioned a number that were training 2 weeks before the War ended in April

Daviss: when I read the Tx narratives there was one guy that said he was on his way to sign

AYWalton: hello there, vkn!

alt: hello vkn... how be's ya?

3rdthawkins: ok alt, gotcha........hello vkn

Selma: Actually owners were paid for the work their slaves did at the Hospitals in VA and in other positions in which they were not given GUNS

Daviss: hello vkn

AYWalton: hope you are having a good day, vkn

vkn: Howdy and hey AYW Alt 3rdHawkins Daviss Selma

3rdthawkins: but I agree with alt, seem like he was passing

alt: Henry Burke has identified an Ohio unit from Washington County, Ohio that had several AA's who served with the Union Army, but they served as 'white' men

AYWalton: I am going to run, folks. Have a good one.

3rdthawkins: now that may be something the person don't want to admit to, or not looking real close at

alt: and those from Washington county served from the beginning of the CW before the USCT's were organized.

Selma: Folks..gotta run and take nap Need to talk to you later vkn.

alt: oh, oh guess I'm running folks off.... again

Selma: Will call later

vkn: okies

3rdthawkins: but alt, if blacks are/were passing, technically some of them were the first AA's to hold certain positions, but we only know of the known AA's who were the firsT to hold certain higher positions, right?

vkn: Daviss it is suggested that you look at CANNON in Atlanta from 1900-1930

Daviss: I have vkn..

alt: true 3rdthawkins, but the question is 'were they serving in the MIlitary, Union or Confedrate, as Black men?

3rdthawkins: not just talking about the military alt, just in general

vkn: They were big business people [hair industry] Cannolene products

alt: I see 3rdthawkins

3rdthawkins: but I think that's the question, it's kind of hard to be proud of an AA ancestor or person to do something when they wer doing it as a White Man/Woman unless they were only doing it to get it, and then reveal later they were of African Descent

alt: example, you are a sports fan.. question, was Jackie Robinson the 1st black to play baseball in the Major Leagues, or just the 1st KNOWN black?

3rdthawkins: hmm, don't know alt, I would take the second just to leave the door open

alt: same with this 'thread' on AfriGeneas, was this guy serving as a soldier, as a KNOWN black man.

3rdthawkins: don't think so hello Seventies

alt: me neither 3rdthawkins. I don't think so.

Seventies Soulchild: hello all. alt, 3rd, Daviss vkn

Daviss: good analogy alt

alt: Hello Seventies Soulchild, how are ya?

3rdthawkins: those who are KNOWN should get the credit, agree

Daviss: I think that is why I did those blogs on the CW soldiers 3rd so that others would know their story

3rdthawkins: that is good daviss

alt: yes Daviss, very good

Daviss: like my last blog on Zephyr Wright. Who would have thought it

alt: not me lol lol

Daviss: She had a little to do with LBJ's decisions

3rdthawkins: I wish my grandfather would've been proud, thankful and grateful of who he was as a black man.........maybe other things would have turned out differently

Daviss: lol @alt

vkn: Take all care

3rdthawkins: ok vkn

Daviss: how do you know that he secretly did not third

3rdthawkins: because of the things I was told that he said and did, he did not want to be black he should have addressed that to his children and not kept it a secret

alt: Seventies Soulchild, why so quiet? and quick question.... How are you related to Thomas Smith, FPOC in Alabama on the 1830 census.?

3rdthawkins: hey Ingrid

HistoryBuff: Hey 3rd, Alt, Daviss and Seventies. How goes it?

3rdthawkins: good

alt: Hello HistoryBuff, or do we know you by another name? LOL

Daviss: well look at the one newspaper guy who only told on his death bed gto his child

HistoryBuff: Yes and Yes, Alt. LOL

Daviss: hello HistoryBuff just sayin 3rd

3rdthawkins: I think what got my grandfather daviss, was the fact that he was a family man, more than anything, so he did allow his children to visit family, and allowed family to visit, so that is how they were told or found out they were black or had black in them or had black relatives

Daviss: thats saying something 3rd Whats up History?

alt: very true Daviss .. and your ancestor is to be commended for keeping the lines of communication open 3rdthawkins

3rdthawkins: yeah, he couldn't hide it and he knew it, but I think it only occured to him when he realized he wasn't being successful at it, my uncle was saying that he did change a little from his prospective yes alt, it could have been worse

Daviss: my kids don't know everything about me lol lol lol

HistoryBuff: Finally download some photos I took of my father-in-law family album Daviss. Same here Daviss.

Daviss: did you put them on Talking HistoryBuff?

alt: 3rdthawkins, I met cousin's from Calif about 5 years ago that had been living as "white' since the 1930's when their folks left Ohio. They came back to Ohio looking for their 'roots'.

Daviss: The Adams alt?

3rdthawkins: believe you mentioned that before alt

alt: nope, another name Daviss and I'd rather not put it on the 'Net, but you can easily find them on my TP website. LOL

3rdthawkins: what I like about one uncle is that he married white, but still identifies as black....but as I told him, marrying white still has a lot to do with what his father wanted, and he agreed

Daviss: Oh yes alt, now I remember

HistoryBuff: No Daviss, I took them with my cell phone. Now I'am copying to my digital Genealogy File Folder.

Daviss: ok HB

3rdthawkins: lert's get you a good 200 dollar Nikon camera Ingrid...oops, Historybuff

HistoryBuff: BRB

Daviss: sheesh 3rd, where does love come into this I would think you marry people because you loved them lol

3rdthawkins: oh, no question daviss, he loves her, but he's the uncle that seems to "protect" his father, not necessarily agree with him, but try to tell of the positive side of it or put a positive spin on it

Daviss: but who am I to say

3rdthawkins: what I am saying is their father had a great influence on who they married or didn't marry

Daviss: :? :o

alt: OH Daviss, I talked with Irita yesterday for about an hour.. she's doing fine and is busy taking her mother around visiting family and friends in Ohio, Michigan & West virginia.

3rdthawkins: unless they rebelled (a word another uncle used), they didn't marry black, maybe foreigners, but they weren't black

HistoryBuff: I'm Black.

Seventies Soulchild: LOL alt sorry y'all... I had a phone call

Daviss: Good for her alt!! family is important

alt: yes, it sure is Daviss

HistoryBuff: Yes Daviss I'm saving up for that.

Seventies Soulchild: RE: Thomas Smith is not my direct ancestor. His stepdaughter and first wife Charity were. They were all freed by Baxter Smith.

HistoryBuff: wb 70s

Seventies Soulchild: hey HB

3rdthawkins: you too History :)

alt: okay Seventies Soulchild , thanks

HistoryBuff: Indeed, 3rd :}

Daviss: HistoryBuff my phone takes lousy pics or mabe I am shaking cause they never come out lol

Seventies Soulchild: If you don't have an I-phone then your camera takes lousy pics... lol

3rdthawkins: lol I-phones take good pics

Daviss: I have a My Phone lol

3rdthawkins: lol lol

Seventies Soulchild: lol

3rdthawkins: better than the Nikon almost at least the one I have but it is a good camera

HistoryBuff: Yes, Daviss I have to prop the camera on a still surface for mine also.

Daviss: seventies would you use your phone at the court house

Seventies Soulchild: No

Daviss: lol

Seventies Soulchild: lol you know that would be 'theft' lol

Daviss: lol lol lol

3rdthawkins: haha lol

Daviss: has that guy been back

Seventies Soulchild: I don't know and really don't care.. lol

Daviss: oh you would know, ms challenger

Seventies Soulchild: oh you have jokes now huh daviss?? lol

alt: Hey y'all gonna be at a workshop this Saturday w/Tony Burroughs anyone have any questions they might want to have asked?

Daviss: always lol oh really alt

Seventies Soulchild: Nothing I can think of at this moment alt. Is this part of the FGS?

Daviss: gotta put on my thinking cap

alt: yes Daviss, oh really LOL LOL no Seventies Soulchild, not part of FGS which ended SAturday.

Seventies Soulchild: ok

alt: well, you've got all week to think of any .. and you have my email address

HistoryBuff: Yea. I'm attending another museum docent training seminar this coming Sat.

Seventies Soulchild: Anyway, I would love to know more about tracing AA WW I vets

alt: you're going to be a 'dangerous docent' if you aren't careful HistoryBuff LOL okay Seventies Soulchild , got your concern noted, will ask

Daviss: another LDS trip for me this coming Sat

Seventies Soulchild: Thanks

HistoryBuff: I hope so Alt. I've got stage fright.

Seventies Soulchild: I have got to go. You all have a good afternoon.

alt: just take deep breaths ... tell'em what you know and try to answer the questions HistoryBuff and you'll do just fine.

Daviss: later for me too folks have a great day

HistoryBuff: Thank you Alt. Cya Daviss.

alt: skedaddle time

HistoryBuff: Laters Alt. My turn. Cya next 3rd.

18 Dec 2002 :: 1 Feb 2009
Copyright © 2002-2008 by AfriGeneas. All rights reserved.
AfriGeneas ~ African Ancestored Genealogy