Try a new Ancestry.com Membership!

Domain Name Registration at GoDaddy.com 120x60

Footnote.com

Note: Please follow the link(s) on the navigation bar below to search additional messages that have been archived to conserve space. If no link is visible, no messages have been archived on this board.

2010-05-25

* * The Concierge

Start: 21:50:03
End: 21:50:03
Chatters: Aadancer

Aadancer: hi

* LunchBunch

Start: 12:05:12
End: 13:58:08
Chatters: alt, AmosNY, AYWalton, Ingrid_Doweary, Khathu, march1801, ryan, Selma, Seventies Soulchild, vicky

vicky: heyyyyy march1801!

march1801: hi vicky

vicky: how are you my friend?

march1801: i'm good, been out of town working the past few weeks.

vicky: oh really! I bet you are glad to be home. Where did you go?

march1801: i'm especially glad to be home. i was in oklahoma during all the tornado madness.

vicky: oh wow! tell me about it. I use to live in Altus. Did you go to the city?

march1801: yes, i stayed in okc luckily all the tornados went around the city

vicky: my x lives in the city and he is always in the line of storms so do you have to go out of town often with your job?

march1801: yes on average i travel about 2-3 days at least 2-3 weeks a month. i cover TX, LA, AR, TN, and OK.

vicky: wow! Are you going to be able to hit the archives any time soon hello khathu!

Khathu: Hello vicky and march

march1801: hi khayhu. @ vicky i'll be going there next saturday

vicky: open on a saturday! thats nice what will you be looking for when you go? Is it something that your library does not have?

march1801: i'm going to request records from another region. i've already checked out sources at my local library.

vicky: ok so you will just go and request and wait for them to send via interlibrary loan and will that be a couple weeks process?

march1801: yes.

vicky: I see

march1801: hi alt

vicky: hello alt!

alt: Hello hathu, march1801& vicky

vicky: how's it going alt? alt I see you signed up for that Family Finder on FTDNA

alt: slow vicky yep vicky, got the results and trying now to understand what they're telling me LOL

march1801: hi amosny

alt: Hi amosNY

AmosNY: Hi Lunch Bunch!

Seventies Soulchild: Good afternoon all

alt: Hi Seventies Soulchild

march1801: hi seventies

vicky: I had my 1st cousin on my paternal side swab MTDNA but only had HV1 done

alt: I see you survived the Pres. visit to WP Seventies Soulchild

Seventies Soulchild: yeah.. lol

march1801: hi selma

alt: Hello Selma

vicky: debating on if I should go further since I would have to foot the bill

AmosNY: Hi Selma!

Seventies Soulchild: I hope I survive this hot day! lol

Selma: Good Tuesday afternoon everyone

Seventies Soulchild: Hi Selma

march1801: hello ingrid

Seventies Soulchild: Hi Ingrid

vicky: heyyy AmosNY, Ingrid,Selma and Seventies

Ingrid_Doweary: Good Tuesday Afternoon everybody.

alt: DNA ca be a 'bottomless pit' as far as money goes vicky

Seventies Soulchild: Yes indeed.

vicky: would not be so bad if we could split lol

alt: I probably have at least 1K in testing done.

Seventies Soulchild: SMH that's a lot of dough.

vicky: well I have also but not on me..lol I had two brothers and two cousins I had tested

alt: it's relative Seventies Soulchild , i terms of other research costs

vicky: plus myself

alt: I=in

Seventies Soulchild: Ok

vicky: The real meat is in those others I have done..:? not my I self but I am more curios than everyone else curious

AmosNY: lol

Seventies Soulchild: Yes you are vicky... lol I want to get my paternal grandmother's line tested.

alt: I'm still looking for 'confirmed' AA connections through DNA.... not much luck there so far

Seventies Soulchild: So if you're not AA alt. . . uh oh. lol

alt: oh, I'm AA, just not through Y & mtDNA ethncially Seventies Soulchild

Seventies Soulchild: Well you sure are dark for a white guy! LOL

vicky: did that with my girl cousin L3 seventies

alt: that's why I'm going the autsomal & family finders route for possible DNA connections

vicky: the cousin that took me to frenchies lol

Seventies Soulchild: L3 is the Southern European connection, right?

vicky: nope brb

alt: What's 'new' in Da Port Selma?

Seventies Soulchild: Oh yesterday, AfricanAncestry was on BET On the show 'My Black is Beautiful'.

Selma: Not to much...I am at the Hampton Public Library today..able to access Afrigeneas.. LOL

alt: Gina Page and/or Rick Kittles?

Selma: Looking for a picture in the Newspaper for a friend

Seventies Soulchild: I'm not sure if either one was on the show. They were doing test results though.

alt: no big announcement about Hampton yet Selma?

Seventies Soulchild: And African themed makeovers.

Selma: Where is Khathu? There is a book here..Francis Moody 1769-1821 Ancestors, Descendants and Related Families

Seventies Soulchild: ne of the ladies found out she was Yoruba

AmosNY: That program was not on my BET yesterday.

Seventies Soulchild: I can't be on here too much longer. . . got a ton of work to do from my days off. . . I may catch up tonight. AmosNY, we have the same BET... lol

vicky: ok 7 that L2 was my male cuz

Seventies Soulchild: wait so L2 was the French connection?

vicky: the one I was speaking of is L2c

Seventies Soulchild: ok

AmosNY: I know.I just looked at Monday's schedule. Its not listed.

alt: that's what is so confusing Seventies Soulchild ... she found that her hapolgroup is where the Yoruba folks were located thousand sof tears ago.. of years ago

Khathu: Hello everyone

vicky: **#^ I had so many done I cant remember what all they are lol

Selma: Afternoon Khathu

Seventies Soulchild: speaking of migration, who was the migration experts that they used on AA Lives 2?

alt: and thatis probabaly just her intial mtDNA test results... one line only

Ingrid_Doweary: Hey Khathu

Seventies Soulchild: Hey Khathu!

Khathu: I had to go move my car

alt: wb Khathu

Khathu: i am so cheap i refuse to pay $40.00 a month for parking

Seventies Soulchild: Hey that's a good deal!

Selma: Those meter maids in DC..are the most efficient part of the government...

Khathu: I'm in Alexandria

Selma: 40 dollars is cheap

Seventies Soulchild: I used to park in the free parking and walk into work 6 blocks DAILY... lol

vicky: one r1bi, one l2c, I, E1b1a, E1b1b

Khathu: i am fine with it

Selma: Oh ok...maybe they are not as effiicient

Seventies Soulchild: Parking where I worked was $5 a day!

alt: that's a nice chunk Khathu

Seventies Soulchild: ok vicky. . . you may as well be speaking chinese... lol

Khathu: i will be submitting my Sons of the Republic of texas application on Friday

Selma: Khathu I am at my local library..they have a book entitled Francis Moody His Ancestors, Descendants and Related FAmilies...did you see this at LVA

vicky: I know :(

Seventies Soulchild: I hope that you get in...

Khathu: I did not examine any books while I was there

alt: You have an I haplogroup vicky?

Selma: Um..what was the Moody's name again?

vicky: lol lol alt you know I do. Its short for mirror mirror on the wall

Khathu: Jameson Moody

Seventies Soulchild: lol

Khathu: of Essex County, VA

Ingrid_Doweary: Lva, Selma?

Khathu: He died in 1840 Chesterfield County, VA

alt: okay vicky..my Y-DNA is Id1a

Khathu: Seventies - I posted part 2 of my search for Betsy (Ransom) Harris

vicky: so do you want to be a Dickerson or do I have to be a Thomas lol

Selma: Library of VA Ingrid..

AmosNY: Khathu, I have a cousin named T Tara Ransom in Birmingham,AL.

Ingrid_Doweary: Thanks, Selma

alt: dunno vicky.... Thomas doesn't connect to my genealogy... must have been a surname change from the DNA ancestor

Khathu: okay

vicky: Amos any Kirklins or Pierce in your bama line?

AmosNY: Vicky, not so far.

vicky: lol @ alt so far I am headed from Texas to KY at least thats what the census tells me

alt: and then to VA vicky LOL

Selma: This book has the Moody's in Henrico and Chesterfield in the in 1700's

vicky: wait, does the road head that way lol

alt: all roads do, right Selma

vicky: rapping your knuckles alt, you know you don't have to ask lol

Khathu: There are two set of Moodys

alt: at least all of mine do..VA/NC

Khathu: from around that area

Selma: Also has Gone but Not Forgotten Graveston Inscriptions and Burials of Chesterfield County

Selma: You might want to send my your email..I will send you list of the books they have.. Jameson Moody's burial place is listed

Khathu: okay I have pictures of Jameson Moody's family tombstone which list all of his children

vicky: this might be a silly question but are all haplogroups the same in each company

alt: Yes

Selma: Col. William Lewis Moody...May 19, 1828-Jul 17, 1920..son of Jameson and Mary Susan Moody/born Essex/moved to Chesterfield

vicky: in other words if you test in familytree and also in ancestry will you still be a 1d1a

alt: Haplogroup assignment is pretty standard according to www.isogg.org

vicky: ok thx

Khathu: He was the one who encourge his siblings to join him in Freestone County, Texas in 1853

Selma: Graduated from UVA 1848/Removed to Texas 1852

Khathu: They eventually established a very successful business

vicky: so if I sent my cousins martkers to ftdna I could continue from there or would a new swab have to be done

alt: vicky.. I would be I with all, but the additional information would depend on the number of markers they would test for

Khathu: After the Civil War W. L. Moody relocated to Galveston, TX and enetered into the banking industry while his other siblings moved back to Chesterfield County, VA

alt: each testing agency needs their own 'swab' for testingpurposes, but the can 'translate' results across agencies

Selma: Do you want me to make a copy of this page?

Khathu: W. L. Moody became very successful and at one time was listed as one of the most riches man in the country Selma - thanks for the offer but I have that information already W. L.'s brother James H. must have been very to my ancestors because there are a lot of my ancestors' children and grandchildren named Jame H.

Ingrid_Doweary: Got to step away. will return shortly.

vicky: heyyy AYWalton

alt: hello AYWalton

march1801: hello AYWalton

AYWalton: Good afternoon, all.

Khathu: Hello AYWalton

Selma: Hey AY

AYWalton: hello alt, AmosNY, khathu, march1801, Ms. Selma, SoulChile, Ms. Vicky

AmosNY: Hey Angela!!

AYWalton: howdy AmosNY!

vicky: I am going to go out and come back in . this screen is all screwed up. brb

AmosNY: wb Vicky!

vicky: thanks AmosNY. I had little blocks and have letters all over the place half letters

AmosNY: I am glad to be your new friend on Facebook.

vicky: thank you AmosNY, me as well I see that you are a Anniston native

Selma: Gotta go folks..gotta get back on the microfilm...See you tonight

vicky: I have several friends here in Phx from there thanks alt for you expertise on the dna question I had

Seventies Soulchild: Ok gotta run... have a good afternoon everyone!

alt: hopefully it is accurate vicky

march1801: i gotta go, ya'll take care.

alt: abd factual

vicky: I am sure it is alt. I have no doubts lol

AYWalton: how's going, khathu?

Khathu: It is going well trying to get focus i am spreading myself a little too thin with all of these projects

AYWalton: lol I know how that is, khathu.

Khathu: so over the sumer i am focusing on just writing

vicky: R U getting anxious the closer you get Khathu

Khathu: and maybe interviewing the closer i get to what?

alt: those can still be a 'plate full' Khathu

vicky: I know you said you were zeroing in on the first owner

AYWalton: you have to set your goals and decide what you want to do, and then execute your plan.

Khathu: i feel like i am working on a million projects all at the same time

vicky: wb ID

AYWalton: but it can be challenging, because writing, gets one so involved when you are finished, you have to regroup.

Ingrid_Doweary: Thanks Vicky

AmosNY: Hi Ingrid wb.

Khathu: It is time AYWalton....

Ingrid_Doweary: Hi AY. Thanks Amos

alt: question for Khathu... when we speak of first/last slave owners, we are speaking of just 'specific' family lines , right/

Khathu: yes....

AYWalton: that is the way I use the term, alt.

alt: so there are as many first/last skave owners as their are family lines that were enslaved

Khathu: it is possible

alt: 5 generations could be as many as 15-16 family lines

Ingrid_Doweary: Hey Ryan

AmosNY: Hi Ryan!

ryan: Hello All

Khathu: sometimes the first/last could be the same person

vicky: hello ryan

AYWalton: quite true. for that particular ancestor you are quite right.

vicky: tru khathu

Khathu: and sometimes several families can be owned by the same family

AYWalton: khathu did you ever live in California?

ryan: Vicky, Amos, Ingrid

alt: right, but folks don't seem to distnguish specific lines when they discuss first/last slave owners

Khathu: born and raised in the sunshine state okay

AYWalton: is that right? I have good friend Terry Ligon who says he used to know someone with your name.

vicky: how is your research going ryan? Anything new on your agenda

Khathu: The last slave owner of my gg grandfather William Stanley was R. F. Whitaker who purchased him from from the estate of Edward Means

AYWalton: always busy vicky---not sure if anything is new, just trying to keep up with projects.

Khathu: now how, when and where Edward Means acquired him is unknown

ryan: Well, Vicky nothing new right now.. Been doing some stuff with my wifes familiy.. I usually cruise through the summer, and hit "high gear in the fall

AYWalton: inheritance? marriage? purchase?

vicky: you and khathu AYWalton

AYWalton: and blogs.

AmosNY: Did Edward Means have a plantation?

ryan: but always looking just the same Vicky

Khathu: AYWalton - I used to chat with Terry in San Francisco

vicky: good way to think about it ryan, high gear lol

alt: I understand Khathu... Im just getting 'old & gumpy' when it comes to terminology and how we often misuse terms.

AYWalton: yes, that is Terry!! He is the one who said he used to know someone with your name!

Khathu: He was a mail carrier and I worked in thge mailroom of the Army Corps of Engineers

ryan: I started a tree with my mothers lines, I will problly focus on that later this year.. Most my work has been my fathers ancestors

vicky: This big ole world is so small

AYWalton: ok!!! on the phone with him now!!!! He remembers you very well!!

Khathu: Edward Means had a plantation in Fairfield Dist, SC

AmosNY: I'm doing both maternal and paternal lines. I am more active with the maternal line.

ryan: ok - Cool Amos (I did one at a time, cause "i'm easily distracted" _ :)

Khathu: he was in the process of set up another plantation with his brother Wm B. Means in De Soto Parish, Louisiana when he died

AYWalton: Khathu, he is the one making the VideoGriot pieces.

Khathu: He had 30 slaves in Louisiana and 60 back in South carolina

AmosNY: Khathu,my gggrandmother came from Fairfield. She was born in 1803.

Khathu: Thats great AYWalton

vicky: I guess you can say that is what I am attempting to do but the walls are interfering. So now I am looking at a few people who are stuck in the early stages for posters on afrigeneas FB

ryan: thats great vicky

Khathu: AYWalton are you hosting the CoAAG - Juneteenth

vicky: I was hoping to get a reply on two people I helped to see if I got the right connection but so far no answer

AYWalton: no I will be hosting CoAAG in August for the US Colored Troops.

vicky: That is Luckey khathu

AYWalton: I hope that it won't be too complicated as a host. Luckie has far more energy than I do.

vicky: oops Luckie

Khathu: I was just reading Luckie's latest blog post on Freedom

alt: dumb question..... what is the significance of Juneteenth for those outside of the State of Texas?

Khathu: Well I guess if one type the notion that we (African Americans) are communtiy then the significant would be that none of us are free until all of us are free

alt: we have ajuneteenth celebrations her in Ohio and I don't see the connection.

AYWalton: it is the ONLY celebration of Freedom for descendants of people who were enslaved.

Khathu: take = type

AYWalton: think about it alt-----most folks----somewhere in the land----if they were black, even folks black and free----they were freed or manumitted at some time.

Khathu: Texas was the last state to free its enslaved population

AmosNY: I thought Juneteenth was mostly Texas.

alt: really, thta' hard to believe AYWalton

AYWalton: even THEY have no celebration of FREEDOM.

vicky: 19th of June was when they heard

AYWalton: We celebrated the 4th of July--but we don't celebrate the freedom from bondage! and we NEED to!

Khathu: asante! asante!

ryan: good point Walton

AYWalton: that changed the course of history and of course it changed the course of life's trajectory of African Americans. Period!

AmosNY: Angela,maybe on our Facebook page we can start the movement.

ryan: there is already one there

AYWalton: We have NEVER had any kind of action to wrap our heads around.

alt: Juneteeth did that?

ryan: Ron Meyers

AYWalton: symbolically alt.

Khathu: There are Juneteenth Celebration throughout the country

AYWalton: Oh gracious yes!

AmosNY: We need someone to design a slogan and a poster.

vicky: http://www.juneteenth.com/

Khathu: thank you vicky

ryan: http://www.facebook.com/home.php?#!/NationalJuneteenth?ref=ts

AYWalton: it is a state holiday in TX, but hey I had ancestors enslaved in Ark/Indian Territory, Mississippi, and Tennessee----and I believe in celebrating their freedom from bondage!!

Khathu: There is Emancipation Day here in Washington, DC

AYWalton: why shoot fireworks on the 4th of July----a battle of mostly white folks who freed themselves from British control. That's fine and it became the foundation of the nation. Fine.

Ingrid_Doweary: Wait, AY there were black patriot during the American Revolutionary War.

AYWalton: Well, my people are just as important as immigrants from Britain. And they went through HELL!!! Their freedom---even if by joining forces with folks in TX-----needs and deserves to be celebrated.

Ingrid_Doweary: patriot=patroits

AmosNY: Angela,we can celebrate both. There were black men and women who died to make this country also.

ryan: gotta run off

AYWalton: and the folks in Ohio----what do they have to celebrate their freedom from bondage? many were active in the UGRR.

ryan: lata yall

Ingrid_Doweary: I concur with Amos. Cya Ryan.

AYWalton: And their labor paid off when the war was over and the slaves were freed. That is WORTH celebrating.

alt: and they served in the USCT's and every other military conflict

AYWalton: Juneteenth----symbolically has EVERYTHING to do with folks in Ohio, TN, NY, AR, MS, and I can go on.

AmosNY: Once when I went back to Anniston,AL I picked up a brochure that celebrated a white church that was part of UGRR.

AYWalton: If it has to do with our people being freed-----------we SHOULD celebrate it. all are part of the spirit of Juneteenth!!!

AmosNY: I never saw that growing up.

alt: they actively fought vs the fugitive slave laws of 1793 & 1850,,, and many freedom batlles in between

AYWalton: the 19th of June just became a day that we can document.

Ingrid_Doweary: Sure AY, the border states, southern states and northern states are included.

AYWalton: but free people in the north had their own Juneteenth---no matter what day or year it was!!

Ingrid_Doweary: Don't you just love spirited discussions, folks?

AYWalton: Juneteenth represents our people---no matter where---who were enslaved, and eventually became freed!!

alt: not really.. they just weren't enslaved, but not completely free

AYWalton: and think about it-----as much as we do----churches have homecomings, and folks h ave reunions------and we as a people have the one thing denied for centuries-----FREEDOM.

AmosNY: Unfortunately,many of our young people don't respect where we have come from.

AYWalton: Juneteenth began as a man sailing into Galveston Harbor----but it is symbolically something that all people who long to be free can understand.

Ingrid_Doweary: How young are you thinking of, AMos?

AYWalton: and think about it-----we have forgotten to embrace this one thing. we have been so shamed by having been a slave, we have never thought about celebrating being free!!!!

Ingrid_Doweary: Freedom, AY?

AYWalton: We NEED to!!!!!

AmosNY: Teenagers and young adults. God help us with the saggy pants prevailing among some of our youth.

Ingrid_Doweary: Okay, Amos I get the picture.

Khathu: AmosNY - you can't blame the children for the behavior solely

AYWalton: they are trapped by others sufferening from the same post traumatic slave syndrome. They need to imitate prisoners--to feel like they belong, perhaps because they have not heard the stories that need to be told.

Khathu: exactly

AYWalton: Look at the distortions and whacked out celebrations of Christmas. People make it what they want it to be, though.

Ingrid_Doweary: Very good points, Ladies and gentlemen.

AYWalton: we even made UP a holiday based on NOTHING that came from our own experience---Kwanza. Attached words to it from a language that our ancestors never spoke.

AmosNY: It seems to me that they think that is being authenic. Imitating prisoner behaviour.

AYWalton: and we don't even celebrate FREEDOM? something our ancestors longed for, for centuries. It has EVERYTHING to do with ALL of us. (ok I am done preaching.)

Ingrid_Doweary: You were preaching, AY?

alt: why aren't the 13th, 14th & 15th amendments to the constitution celebrated? that's what freed us and make us citizens.

AYWalton: and guess what----ask one of your buddies----does he know what it was?

Ingrid_Doweary: Those were impassionated discussion points you raised there.

AYWalton: I will bet you a BBQ dinner alt (next time we attend a conference) that they will have no clue as to what you are talking about.

Khathu: Because they haven't been taught anything different by their parents, the community, school, etc.

alt: no bet AYWalton LOL

AYWalton: at least I love a good reason to have a party---and Freedom, works for me.

Ingrid_Doweary: Speaking of the "3th, 14th & 15th amendments to the constitution...", AY?

AYWalton: yes, what about them, Ingrid?

Ingrid_Doweary: "3th="13th Are you saying most folks don't know what those amendments are about and how they impacted the freedom movement?

AYWalton: exactly.

Khathu: Absolutely it is a shame

Ingrid_Doweary: Okay, just checking. I know what my homework assignment is.

AYWalton: I recall when I worked at Tufts University, in Massachusetts, some students were complaining about a white professor whom they called racist.

Khathu: the 14th and 15th are the very basis for the Civil Rights Movement

AYWalton: he was a history professor and he kept referring to the 13th Amendment to the US Constitution. finally one of the students asked---what was the 13th Amendment?

alt: that goes to the 3/5th's of a man statement... gretaly misinterpeted.

Khathu: and other movements for equity and justice here in the U.S.

Ingrid_Doweary: Makes sense, given a republican vice presidential candidate didn't know how the US constitution defined the duties of the position.

AYWalton: the professor said, "you don't know? You are a descendant of slaves and don't know what the 13th Amendment to the US Constitution is." they were furious---not that they did not know---but that he called them a descendant of slaves!!! I can't worry about an ignorant politician---so many of them are dunces, but I do care about what we know about ourselves, and where we have been historically.

Ingrid_Doweary: Yes, he made historical assumption.

Khathu: i get upset when people say that we are all immigrants

alt: denial & not knowing to the Max AYWalton

AYWalton: big time!

Khathu: descendants of immigrants

AYWalton: that is why I believe in the celebration of Juneteenth. we were unwilling immigrants, khathu.

Khathu: African imports

AYWalton: we had no choice, but we came from someplace else.

alt: that's my thing with how terminology is misapplied Khathu

Ingrid_Doweary: Descendants of both immigrants and kidnapped prisoners.

Khathu: prisoner of war

AYWalton: we just were not passengers---we were cargo. and our Ellis Island, was Sullivan's Island.

Khathu: immigrant imply to me a choice or decision to leave one's homeland

Ingrid_Doweary: along with Gore Island and Robin Island

AYWalton: and Richmond, and Annapolis, and New Orleans, Savannah, Charleston......

AmosNY: We should start a petition drive to President Obama,Speaker Pelosi,Senator Reid, and the chairmen of the RNC and DNC.

AYWalton: that is why I said unwilling. we came from someplace else.

Khathu: i do not use the term to refer to my enslaved ancestors at all it was a different reality

AYWalton: I use it when I refer to the fact that we live in a nation of immigrants. our emigration from the motherland was forced, and we came into this land---unwillingly---but it is now ours.

Khathu: and prisoner of war

alt: I agree Khathu.. our ancestors were not 'immigrants" as the termis defined

Ingrid_Doweary: forced migration or kidnapping?

AYWalton: I also agree----I use it creatively. and never use the word in isolation---the word unwilling---always precedes it.

alt: as with 'migration' patterns... for those enslaved did THEY migrate?

Ingrid_Doweary: Okay, I am throwing terms out here-captives.

AYWalton: and we cannot get hung up on terms---they all fit.

alt: or was it their slave owners who 'migrated'?

AYWalton: enslaved, captives, victims, kidnapped, seized, held---all the more reason to have something to embrace---when they became free from the yokes that held them.

Ingrid_Doweary: That raises a question for me. Who were the fugitives, the Freedmen's bureau was referring to?

AYWalton: there probably are migration patterns to study, for sure---migration reflects movement. Like those taken south when slave holders went south. One finds people in TX after the war, born in the upper south. They were taken there---while enslaved. whether willing or not---there was a migration.

Ingrid_Doweary: Thanks, I have previously made a blanket assumption about that term.

alt: but by whom is the question AYWalton

AYWalton: and keep in mind---folks migrated across Africa, across Europe, across Asia. and some were slaves on those continents as well. and the Arab slave trade---a hostile one as well, though not much is written about it.

alt: personally use migration and immigration in terms of 'free' people who did so voluntarily course that is just me LOL

AYWalton: but look at the National Genographic project. It studies migration patterns of people thousands of years ago. Did some move (migrate) unwillingly? Probably so. Look at the major DNA project---the big Ghengis Khan project---that man has hundreds of thousands of descendants. He put out a reign of terror across Asia and eastern Europe, taking an army with him and enslaving and raping women in his path. They also moved with him. Willing? probably not----but movement nevertheless.

Ingrid_Doweary: Sure there was some unwillingness, particularly when natural disasters came into play.

AYWalton: history is not a pretty story anywhere. andd we have to see the larger picture---even when our own story is in our line of vision and the only thing we see.

Ingrid_Doweary: and or war with carnage and disease.

AYWalton: precisely. We are not the only people enslaved. When Asians crossed the Bearing Strait into Alaska and down into the Americas---were all willingly going along? I bet not. and keep in mind women have never had choices until the past few decades. And women are half of the human race. and did they have choice? Not really/ but----as the population grew, one had to have women for those lines to continue. and they migrated too---whether they wanted to or not.

Khathu: Have a good one

AmosNY: So long everyone!

AYWalton: so if we are talking about movement---or migration---many (most?) were not willing---but they moved anyway.

alt: yes, have a good one... discussion to be continued LOL

Ingrid_Doweary: So long Amos

AYWalton: lol shucks I hope my preaching has not run everybody away. lol

alt: brignyour dictionary/glossary of terms LOL no way AYWalton

vicky: No Rev it did not lol

AYWalton: lol

Ingrid_Doweary: You know this has been an impassioned lecture session, AY. :)

AYWalton: oh well, I get going, sometimes, I guess.

Ingrid_Doweary: Certainly some of your listeners were taking notes. Take AY Thanks for the insightful discussion.

AYWalton: oh well----hopefully it was taken with the right spirit in which it was intentioned.

vicky: it was my friend

AYWalton: I guess I better run, myself. Lots of things to do today.

Ingrid_Doweary: Well I certainly have a lot to chew on.

vicky: ok see ya later Ingrid

AYWalton: take care.

Ingrid_Doweary: later Vicky

vicky: have a great day iNgrid

Ingrid_Doweary: Thanks you do the same/

* SunMornBrunch

Start: 21:44:16
End: 21:44:16
Chatters: deannie

deannie: evening

* TuesNiteChat

Start: 21:03:04
End: 22:29:42
Chatters: 3rdthawkins, Aadancer, AYWalton, deannie, evpace, jhonora, khathu, Selma, Seventies Soulchild, Spivey, vicky

vicky: heyyy Selma!

Selma: Good tuesday evening vicky I am tuckered out this evening...will see how long I last... LOL

vicky: lol lol I hear ya

khathu: Hola everyone

Selma: Good evening Khathu

vicky: I know I am still reeling from the other day Hi khathu

3rdthawkins: hello Khathu Selma and vicky

Selma: Evening 3rd

vicky: hello 3rd Khathu did you see my email

khathu: I am working on a presentation for the AAGHS Conference in October i haven't check my email yet

vicky: I was just asking if you had a Carr in your Leon County line

khathu: the title of the presentation is Tracing Enslaved Ancestors Across State Lines

Selma: Good topic

khathu: I need to check Carr Thanks Selma I believe all Texas researchers are tracing their ancestors across state lines

Selma: Heavens knows over 700,000 slaves left VA to other states..either sold or moving with their owners

vicky: Harrison County had more slaves than any Tx county in 50 and 60

Selma: From late 1700's into the 1850's

khathu: wow...I did not know that about harrison county

vicky: in fact Harrison County was the Confederate Capitol once Mo

3rdthawkins: yes I read that vicky, the texas handbook online

khathu: really very interesting

vicky: yeppers

Selma: Thats why you got Texans revising.......already revised American History

khathu: The Lone Star State is something else

3rdthawkins: guess I would do

Seventies Soulchild: Hello all...

3rdthawkins: oops, I mean to

vicky: exactly selma :{

khathu: Hello 3rd and Seventies

3rdthawkins: hello Seventies Don't mess with Texas Khathu lol

vicky: hello seventies

3rdthawkins: I guess they mean it AND Meant it

Seventies Soulchild: hi 3rd, khathu, Selma, vicky

khathu: My roots run deep in the state of Texas so don't mess with me....lol

3rdthawkins: lol

Selma: Evening seventies

vicky: lol brb

Selma: Whats new seventies

Seventies Soulchild: Nothing at all. . .

3rdthawkins: I'm trying to get close to a rabbit without him running away....any suggestions???

Selma: Wow..they must really be working you hard on the JOB

Seventies Soulchild: So many records to get, I have a laundry list... lol LOL this is our 'downtime' at the end of the accpetance process.

3rdthawkins: so many records, so little time, huh Seventies lol

Seventies Soulchild: Yes.. then this Alabama thing, I dropped that because I am trying to focus on this Mississippi family.

3rdthawkins: or should I say, so little money lol

Seventies Soulchild: Yeah that too lol

vicky: gotta run folks

Seventies Soulchild: maybe I could get some grants for my research Anything is possible!

khathu: if you even believe

Selma: Worth a try

Seventies Soulchild: Yes I need a vacation. . lol

Selma: Don't we all... LOL

Seventies Soulchild: Well right now I'm looking over the Lanier family on the census records Lanier is a very common surname believe it or not

Selma: Evening evpace...long time no see

3rdthawkins: hello evpace

Seventies Soulchild: hey evpace

evpace: Evening all

3rdthawkins: have two brothers they have the same father, his middle name is Lanier, he lived in Washington, D.C/Maryland/Virginia area

khathu: hello evpace

3rdthawkins: the only other Lanier I heard of was Bob Lanier placed basketball, I believe for the Washington Bullets

Seventies Soulchild: My Lanier's must've migrated from NC to AL... there are Laniers all between NC and AL in ever state.

Selma: What's new evpace

Seventies Soulchild: Quincy Jones great grandfather was a Lanier. . . shocked me. I think that they were from Mississippi

evpace: I knew Laiers herein DC

3rdthawkins: really? wow, interesting, my brothers' father's orginal last name I believe was Jones, before he changed it to Covington

evpace: Who is seaching Oconee/Seneca area SC? Sir name Knox

3rdthawkins: I wanted to do their paternal ancestry, but I cannot get in contact with anyone from their dad's side of the family to procede

Selma: Not I

3rdthawkins: precede? something like that to go further, let me say that lol

Selma: WB evpace..that was a quick exit

Seventies Soulchild: I may need to tweet here soon. . .

Selma: Tweet what...here?

evpace: I know;sorry but my page looks kookie.

3rdthawkins: you mean the chat screen evpace???

evpace: Yes

3rdthawkins: lol don't worry, it's not you lol

evpace: Geee! Whats wrong here 3rd?

3rdthawkins: I guess vkn been doing some remodeling.

Seventies Soulchild: No sorry, I meant it like I may need to tweet about something soon

3rdthawkins: a lot of changes took place in the last month or so mostly for the better I detect this is a slow nite

Seventies Soulchild: How do you determine the race of a persons parents on their DCs? I'm speaking from the extracts. . . If no race is listed does that automatically mean that they are white?

3rdthawkins: I know some DC

Selma: Are you looking at the actual death certificate

evpace: Browser needs to be enabled? Help 3rdhawks, Selma, Seventies!!

3rdthawkins: I know some DC's (especially in S.C.) ask for race if not white

Seventies Soulchild: No just an extract

3rdthawkins: no evpace, that says it for all of us, I believe......you're fine

Selma: Like the census if its blank its usually assumed to be white...Where is the extract

Seventies Soulchild: on the family search pilot site

Selma: That I don't know...key in someone you know is black and see what comes up

3rdthawkins: you can't really determine anything by what others put or don't put

Seventies Soulchild: Well I guess he's black

evpace: Does it race or color?

Selma: What info are they giving in the extract

Seventies Soulchild: let me bring it up... hold on

3rdthawkins: you have to guess/assume until records indicate or give you a hint that he may have been white.......I did that with my grgrgr gf James Payson

evpace: Thanks 3rdhawkins.

3rdthawkins: yw evpace

Selma: If the extract is only an index tonames you can't way what anyone is

Seventies Soulchild: hmmmm okay

Selma: You then have to locate the document where the info was "extracted" from

3rdthawkins: family search doesn't seem to always include everything in the index, sometimes they do, sometimes they don't depends on whose indexing, I guess

evpace: Is the CD your only source?

Seventies Soulchild: I'm so tired about dozing off at this keyboard... I'll talk to you all soon...

evpace: Where is Angela..teacher?

Selma: Don't know evpace...maybe everyone is tired to night...I know I am.. LOL

3rdthawkins: memorial day is two days away (my brother's birthday) perhaps people are "preparing"? for that????

Selma: Got my newsletter yesterday...emailed Charles..told him I liked his picture.. LOL

khathu: have a good evening everyone

3rdthawkins: nite Khathu I may stay in another half hour at least, see if anyone ducks in hello deannie

deannie: Evening

Selma: Evening deannie

3rdthawkins: how is it going Deannie???

deannie: I'm ducking lol

deannie: OK in Chicago.......looking for Lebron James

3rdthawkins: I think he's staying in Cleveland

evpace: I have been trying to help a friend find the family of Reese Knox from Anderson, Seneca are of SC....Found the ggfather Windfield Knox in the 1920 Census and death by accident in Seneca but listed as single when his wife was supposedly Bessie Knox. Hmmmm

Selma: Hmmmm

deannie: I not a big basketball fan...but I like watching a good game...I got to a few of the Bulls games with my coworker

3rdthawkins: oh, ok, cool deannie hello AYWalton

deannie: Hi Angela

AYWalton: Good evening all.

Selma: Evening AY

AYWalton: Hello 3rd, deannie, evpace, Ms. Selma! hope everyone is doing well.

3rdthawkins: yes AY

AYWalton: brb someone is stuck in the lobby---or concierge.

Selma: I am trying not to fall asleep

3rdthawkins: everyone's getting stuck in the concierge lol

AYWalton: evpace, how are you doing?

evpace: Winfield is burried at Shiloh Cemetery in Townville,SC DOD 1948 by gasoline explosion. What souces for our cemeteries are there?

AYWalton: yes, Selma I know you are an early sleeper. Do you wake up early as well?

Selma: Yep...you would think I grew up on a farm not he City

AYWalton: lol

evpace: I just called your name AY Teacher.....those Spirits are at work!

Selma: What county is is that evpace

AYWalton: oh wow, evpace you are something else! lol

evpace: Seneca County,SC

3rdthawkins: hello AAdancer

deannie: Hi aadancer

AYWalton: welcome Aadancer.

Aadancer: hi there......

Selma: We have a AA Cemetary Forum...post a query there evpace

evpace: Will Do,Guru Selma. Thanks

Selma: If there is an historical society in that county..they might have a listing of the cemeteries in the area The church might still be there

AYWalton: if you can get a good county map you will be in luck. They usually show cemeteries.

evpace: Ononee and Seneca are former Native-American territory.

AYWalton: Seneca is originally upstate NY, unless there is another Seneca tribe.

deannie: Louisiana biith certificates....help

AYWalton: They NY Senecas---many were removed to OK.

evpace: Oconee that is which is the county that touches SC, NC and Georgia.

AYWalton: Ononee, sounds like a southeastern tribe.

Selma: Oconee is the county?

Aadancer: Sorry...was on the phone talking with probably the eldest member of my family...his memory is sharper than mine's

evpace: Web site history says a small band of Cherokees

3rdthawkins: that reminds me AAdancer, I need to call my gf's cousin

Selma: Ok I see it on the map..Oconee western border, borders GA..

Aadancer: about the Native Americans... there are so many stories to be told.

Selma: Does that have something to do with the person who died in 1948

3rdthawkins: hello jhonora

deannie: Hi Jhonora

AYWalton: hey hey hey, it's honoray!! howdy jhonora!

Aadancer: I don't remember hearing that the Senecas were moved....I know it as a place upstate NY

Selma: deannie..our LA person is here...hi jhonora

jhonora: Hello aadancer, AYWalton, deannie, evpace, Selma, 3rdthwakins

AYWalton: hope all is well, jhonore

Aadancer: good evening jhonore!!

evpace: SC is one of the sates that did not break into counties like other colonies so parishes, proprietaries and counties are listed in the Red Book but Oconee is today a County.

deannie: Oh Jhonora...I would like to get a birth certificate for my father born in Louisiana 1924.....want can I do

Aadancer: Are you LA as in Lousiana or LA in in Los Angeles

jhonora: LA as in Louisiana, Aadancer

deannie: ditto

jhonora: Deannie, where was he born?

evpace: jhonore!!

deannie: Hold on

Selma: Oconee County was created in 1868 from Pickens

Aadancer: OKay......and yu too deannie... you

Selma: Looking at a 1790 and 1800 map a small part of of what is now Oconee was identifed as Indian Land..part bordering GA and part NC

AYWalton: Hmm.........that could be Creek country as well, if it near GA.

evpace: Why might a relative say Winfield Knox was single if he was married with a wife and two chidren in the 1920 Census in Greenville,SC?

Selma: Is this what was on the death certificate?

Aadancer: maybe not everybody recognized the marriage

deannie: I not a good gen....I have my father military papers but I left them at work because I was woking on his info.....

jhonora: Were the wife and children present in the house?

3rdthawkins: perhaps divorce?........I've seen that a few times

evpace: yes the informant who is known to the family gave the info for the death certificate.

deannie: I can't remember was city his was born....

jhonora: deannie, what I basically was curious about was whether it was in N.o. or in the country?

Selma: and on the death certificate it said the man was single

Aadancer: is there a copy of the marriage certificate or a notation in a Bible or in a Church record?

evpace: No they relocated at some point to Baltimore,MD...Bessie Knox with Reese and Willis.

Selma: So on the 1920 census they are a family together in SC?

deannie: I find it Francisville, Louisiana

3rdthawkins: similiar situation evpace with the father of my great granduncle's wife.......his wife's address, who was the informant on his DC, was listed differently then his address, but he was still listed as married

jhonora: deannie, must be St. Francisville, in West Feliciana Parish, right?

evpace: Windfield suffered third degree burns from the gas explosion on the job in Greenville and died 3 days later in the General Hosp.

deannie: I think that it Yes, I remember the county name

3rdthawkins: another situation is with the oldest son of my grgrgr grandmother. Nero Bryant. In 1910, he and his wife are living separately, two different counties and both are listed as widowed........they are living together again in 1920.

Selma: What year does this happen evpace? If there is a newspaper there is probably an article about te explosion

evpace: There are thousands of Knox (s)in SC.....who knew!

3rdthawkins: I'm currently looking for Charleston Newspaper that may mention the car accident that killed my great grandaunt-in-law's father

evpace: 1948 Selma.

3rdthawkins: I probably wouldn't anst over it too much evpace

Selma: evpace..did you find them in 1930?

Aadancer: there was strangeness going on like that in St Croix...under the dutch and the US... if two pwople married from different religions, the Church doing the christening mite list the child as illegimate...

jhonora: For the 1920s, deannie, you can go to dhh.louisiana.gov and go to the form from Vital Records or use the online service VitaCheck [sp]. You will have to enclose a copy of your driver's license if you get it by mail through Vital Records.

evpace: No and I did search but you know I am not as sharp as you, Angela Teacher.3rdhawkins and all....

AYWalton: not true, evpace you are sharp as a tack!

3rdthawkins: another situation, this time on my mother's side........on my great great grandaunt's DC it lists her as married, but on her husband's DC, who died some years before, it says divorced

Aadancer: Did louisiana lose a lot of records from hurricane katrina and other such massive storms

Selma: The marriage was probably not recognized by the church

3rdthawkins: oops, change that to she was listed as widowed

Selma: I gotta run folks...talk to you later.

3rdthawkins: probably not AAdancer, as the storm only seem to destroy the "poor" part of town

Aadancer: hhmmm

jhonora: I think marital information, given by the person or about them, is very subjective. Some families do not like "divorced" listed on records. Sometimes widowed people are assumed to have never married.

evpace: Women would declare themselves as widowed to avoid shame if abandoned sometimes.

Aadancer: that's interesting evpace

3rdthawkins: I think her niece, who was the informant, did not know about the divorce

Aadancer: and I would imagine the d-word was not looked upon kindly as well

evpace: For sure!

3rdthawkins: I think the it was the sister of the guy who listed him as divorced, she acknowledged it as such

Aadancer: It's about that time for me to go folks...good work, good luck and good night

AYWalton: I think you are right on your point evpace, about some declaring themselves as divorced. goodnight have a gggod one, Aadancer.

evpace: Nite all!

AYWalton: gggod one = good one. lol wow folks jumping ship again.

3rdthawkins: nite everyone, will try and finish watching the game

AYWalton: take care.

deannie: Well I will call it nite myself

jhonora: I'm going too, see you Sat. AY!

AYWalton: I guess it is time almost to bail out, now that I see the time. I am still collecting images and data jhonora on the Black Catholic places in Arkansas. Going to compile things and see what I have and how much I have. I do have snippets of data here and there. take care and have a good one.

jhonora: That's great! I think it is an undiscovered treasure trove

AYWalton: I will cut out the lights.

jhonora: Night!

AYWalton: you have a good evening as well. Hmm.........screen not scrolling.

Spivey: Hello everyone!! whoops looks like i missed it. LOL.

18 Dec 2002 :: 1 Feb 2009
Copyright © 2002-2008 by AfriGeneas. All rights reserved.
AfriGeneas ~ African Ancestored Genealogy