Try a new Ancestry.com Membership!

Domain Name Registration at GoDaddy.com 120x60

Footnote.com

Note: Please follow the link(s) on the navigation bar below to search additional messages that have been archived to conserve space. If no link is visible, no messages have been archived on this board.

2011-09-09 DNA • Blog radio

*LunchBunch

Start: 12:08:25
End: 13:24:39
Chatters: 3rdthawkins, alt, AYWalton, daviss, Ingrid_Doweary, Selma, Seventies Soulchild, vkn

daviss: heyyy alt!

alt: hi daviss, how ar eya today?

daviss: I am good alt,thanks..what about you?

alt: doing fine... thanks

daviss: I heard from 23 and me

alt: results???

daviss: oops brb

alt: okay

daviss: sorry back, lol the little top on my percolator almost came off

alt: Oops. everything okay?

daviss: I don't want coffee all over the place as I was saying, I heard from 23 and me

AYWalton: good afternoon, all.

alt: and what did they say daviss?

daviss: My results came in and they have my hap as LOa2

AYWalton: L0a2? wow what and where is that from, daviss? this was 23 and me? or FamilyTreeDNA?

alt: does "L" match your mtDNA from the other agencies?

daviss: that tells me that Ancestry must be way off on FTDNA it matches I have not heard from Ancestry yet on doing the retest

AYWalton: L0 is the earliest African sequence.

alt: from 23andme you got mtDNA ad Relative Finder , which is your admixture, right?

AYWalton: They went really deep! so what were your percentages with 23 and me?

alt: Ancestry said your mtDNa was "I

daviss: I did not do the relative finder yet alt, this was the project that I signed up for

alt: "I". right?

daviss: yep alt

Seventies Soulchild: Good day all.

AYWalton: but since 23 and me is an admixture---they did not do that?

Seventies Soulchild: I was browsing over some WWII old man registrations today on family search

alt: I'm confused daviss on what you got from 23andme.... was this part of the RITF project?

Seventies Soulchild: Found a couple of old men in my family. :)

3rdthawkins: hello everyone......man, got so busy adding source citations, lost track of time

daviss: heck I only went to the maternal results AYWalton, I was not aware that they did the finder yes alt the RIFT

AYWalton: I was referring to admixture info not finder. that may have been alt.

vkn: Seventies Soulchild good for you. are these new old men

daviss: you also signed up didn't you alt

alt: okay, then you should have some Relative Finder which has your admixture %'s.

daviss: well let me go look now lol lol

alt: Yes, I signed up for the RITF project with 23andme.

daviss: I was just so happy to see LOa2 that I did not go any further lol lol

vkn: 3rdthawkins source info is good to do

AYWalton: I hear ya, daviss! lol

daviss: hello 3rd I did not see you

Seventies Soulchild: no vkn still tracking the children of Scott Washington

daviss: mirror mirror on the wall lol

AYWalton: at least that put you on "the continent!"

3rdthawkins: yes vkn, very important......hello daviss

vkn: alt did you get a kit

Seventies Soulchild: One was in Detroit, MI working for the WPA

alt: yep 3rdthawkins 'citing your sources' is a good practice and Roots Magic has one of the better source citation features.

vkn: Seventies Soulchild Scott in Alabama or?

alt: from 23andme vkn .. Yes, and I sent it back 2-3 weeks ago

Seventies Soulchild: No vkn, ms/ok

3rdthawkins: yeah alt, I need to go back and re-write sources for a lot peeps, since I'm only using free-form, I want to use the template that rootsmagic gives, I want to finish before getting those research papers my dad's cousin going to send

vkn: okies just checking Seventies Soulchild

3rdthawkins: speaking of which, he called me yesterday and let me speak with his mom for the first time, who is my grandfather's Oldest sister

Seventies Soulchild: One worked for Manhattan Construction, which is still in existence today. So I'll be checking up on these things.

alt: try and stay ahead in the 'citation' game if you can 3rdthawkins

3rdthawkins: you ain't lyin' alt lol

vkn: alt 3rdthawkins Catch up is an impossible game to win

3rdthawkins: I was ahead until I changed software, so just editing it to match/fit what rootsmagic gives

Seventies Soulchild: Ok well I'm going to have to run off. Y'all have a great afternoon.

3rdthawkins: I know vkn, before you know it, your plate is too full to do anything with

vkn: indeed

Ingrid_Doweary: I concur

daviss: You should be getting your results soon alt. I think I sent mine off after you

3rdthawkins: good thing for me though, it's not that the sources are cited, it's that I want them to fit what rootsmagic already has, so if I wanted to, I can leave it as is Are-I mean, it's not that the sources AREN'T cited

alt: with 22K folks in my database I gave up 3rdthawkins. I now have a 'discalimer' for vital records to look in the probate court or county health dept. for birth, marriage & death records.... all other record types have a source.

3rdthawkins: man alt, you gotta hire people to do source citations lol

daviss: Ingrid I saw that your hubby's line has a CW soldier, what about yours?

alt: if you have a location for your events .. birth, marriage and/or death the disclaimer will cite the location for the county of record.

3rdthawkins: ok

Ingrid_Doweary: So far I have not learned of any my ancestors serving in the war. Not yet.

alt: and where in that county the record may be found

daviss: me either but my hopes are high ingrid

vkn: Did all here hear the interview with Melvin Collier and BBennett last night on his new book

AYWalton: yes I listened to it last night, vkn!

daviss: I did not vkn

Ingrid_Doweary: Thanks for the support Daviss. I have a lot to research.

vkn: Bad bad Daviss

AYWalton: you can click on it to listen, though daviss.

Ingrid_Doweary: No I didn't hear it either, Vkn.

daviss: I guess vkn.. I will spank my hand

vkn: Yes daviss get caught up

alt: also 3rdthawkins, what I have been doing is a 'copy & paste' of the text record from familysarch into the person's edit page on Roots Magic... same with printed obits.

3rdthawkins: that's a good idea alt, makes it a lot easier

vkn: We gotta support our peeps y'all

daviss: ok thanksw AYWalton I will do that

AYWalton: i agree, vkn!

daviss: I support AY lol

Ingrid_Doweary: Yes we need to support our peeps.

AYWalton: Ingrid did I see a video of you online? You were talking about an upcoming event, I think.

vkn: If not us; who?

daviss: 'what time did it air AYWalton

AYWalton: at 9pm eastern time.

Ingrid_Doweary: Yes AYWalton, my associate surprised me. I need to consult with you and Vkn on representing AfriGeneas.

daviss: oh I think I was hung up on MSNBC listening to the after effects of the Presidents Msg

AYWalton: yes we will have to chat soon. ahhh you were listening to the spin

daviss: yes

3rdthawkins: so how did that go daviss, the speech, I was watching NFL pregrame show(s) i heard a little bit about it on FB

Ingrid_Doweary: Thanks AY. I feel so out of touch.

daviss: I always enjoy hearing him speak now we need action from Congress

Ingrid_Doweary: Same here, Daviss. Understood.

AYWalton: daviss, I am trying to find the link for you.

daviss: getting people back to work

AYWalton: Will post as soon as I locate it.

daviss: ok AYWalton thanks

vkn: Ingrid_Doweary and what can remedy that feeling out of touch

3rdthawkins: sounds good daviss, do need more jobs

AYWalton: (in the middle of my multi-tasking.) howdy Ms. Selma!!!

3rdthawkins: hello Selma

AYWalton: how is the good foot?

alt: hello Selma.. how are ya?

3rdthawkins: lol ay

daviss: Hello Selma!

Selma: Good Friday afternoon everyone..

Ingrid_Doweary: Hey Selma.

vkn: Selma show us your note from home lol

Selma: The Good Foot and Bad Foot are sore..just came in from Physical Therapy

AYWalton: ouch---therapy can be painful!

Selma: Yes it can AY? I meant yes it can AY..and it is.. LOL

AYWalton: http://www.blogtalkradio.com/antoinette-harrell/2011/09/09/research-at-the-national-archives-and-beyond that's the link, daviss.

3rdthawkins: hope your foot gets well completely...my grandfather's sister is in rehab due to breaking her hip, she just turned 89 last wednesday, was in previously in the hospital with pnuemonia, came back home, and now back in the hospital

daviss: thx much AYWalton

vkn: ohhhh dear hope they feel better soon Selma

daviss: tuff at that age 3rd

AYWalton: are you without the cast completely now?

3rdthawkins: yeah daviss, hope to get back down to AZ and meet her real soon

daviss: oh she is here

Selma: Yes..AY, but using a cane..and they advise I put the boot on if I will be in big crowds

AYWalton: that makes a lot of sense!

3rdthawkins: yes daviss, Scottsdale, I missed her when I was down here, she was in the hospital, I left a message, but her son didn't get it until I had already left AZ here=there

Ingrid_Doweary: Good idea to protect your foot.

Selma: VA Historical Society has started putting some stuff on line at their new database

daviss: oh yeah Selma, you can't have anyone step on that foot or bump it

Selma: There was an article in NYTimes yesterday..gotta find and post

3rdthawkins: sounds good Selma

AYWalton: what about, Selma? oh the database at Richmond!!

Selma: The fact that the database is going up..hold on.

AYWalton: I think I posted the link on my podcast site today! it was from the NYTimes for sure. that is really good data! back to the 17th century!

3rdthawkins: well, you got a witness

vkn: yes david sent the article ayw

daviss: I am at a loss again for a county in Va. My Williams come from there and I can imagine there are eons of Williams

3rdthawkins: is that a new line you discovered daviss?

Selma: Ok Angela..so you know..there is a class at VHS at the end of the month about using the database..I registered This is not a place for the beginner

daviss: no, I always had Williams, Its just I have not really researched them from out of SanJacinto and Liberty County Tx

Selma: They have the private papers

AYWalton: oh that is great!!!

daviss: Thomas Williams is the slave owner

3rdthawkins: oh, I know I never heard you mention them

AYWalton: you are truly at ground zero and now they are pulling up records from the earliest days. You will probably have to learn how to also decipher old script.

Selma: When does Thomas Williams go to Texas Daviss

daviss: these eyes of mine may not be able to do that much any more AYWalton

Selma: Oh I have been looking at the old script for a long time

AYWalton: stronger specs, daviss, stronger specs. I know about those fading eyes....I squint more than I ever did.

daviss: as far as I know Selma it has to be around 1850 or before

Selma: You better go the the Dollar Store AY.. like me and Daviss

AYWalton: oh I do all the time. Have pairs all over the house. different strengths though as sometimes they don't have 2.75. I think I need even stronger, but not admitting that yet.

vkn: Interesting that one can now order microfilm from LDS on line

Selma: Where did you go alt.. LOL

3rdthawkins: next time tell us when you're living mr. don't just up and go like that.... :}

AYWalton: I saw that recently as well, vkn!

Selma: In one of the catalogs I get..they have em up to 6.0 magnification.. LOL

daviss: read that vkn...

3rdthawkins: yeah it is vkn, which reminds me, I needed to talk to alt about something

daviss: dang Selma that is steep

AYWalton: 6.0 wow----those must be coke bottle thick!

Selma: AY..Alt..I have a USCT question

AYWalton: go ahead, Selma

Ingrid_Doweary: I'm back

3rdthawkins: 6.0? I wonder if my uncle knows about that, he kept going to the doctor to get his more magnified, but he reached the limit of magnification, they won't let him get any more

Selma: Maryland was a southern state that remained in the Union

alt: was trying to post a link to my Family WDYTYA Challenge chart from the Reunion Forum.

AYWalton: yes, considered a border state.

Selma: If Maryland Slaveowners allowed their male slaves to join the Union Army..did the slave owners get the bounty Or is that a Bennie Question?

AYWalton: but it is technically below the Mason-Dixon line.

3rdthawkins: alt, it looks like I need an authorized signature in order to order a census record pass 1930, was gonna get one for my dad in 1950, but would need his signature, was reading at the nara website yesterday

AYWalton: When we go visiting friends in Ft. Deposit we pass one of the Mason Dixon markers.

3rdthawkins: I know he's not going to bother signing anything for me to do that

alt: Selma, I don't think the slaveowners got a bounty as such, but some filed claims with the southern Claims commission for the LOSS of their slaves who ran to the union forces.

Selma: AY..I went to college in Maryland..when I left NY, my parents said "you are going to the deep South"..the mall near Morgan was segregated until the year before I got there..I know it was a border state

AYWalton: Maryland also did not secede. Most of the men who enlisted were Union soldiers. well about 77% of them were, anyway. and there were 6 black regiments organized in Maryland as well.

Selma: I ordeedr the roll to RG 105 for MD..there is a list of Slave Owners in MD and Deleware..

AYWalton: Alt is right and I know of that one of Agnes's books she outlined the ones who got bounties. yes they are together on the same roll.

Selma: There is also the names of those male slaves who enlisted I will send you the image later

alt: KY was also a border state that did not secede and they had a dozen or more USCT units formed in KY.

AYWalton: oh great!

Ingrid_Doweary: What is the title of Agnes's book, AY?

AYWalton: will have to look it up, Ingrid. she has written many. there were quite a few KY regiments alt.

Ingrid_Doweary: Agnes's full name is?

AYWalton: I wrote about them briefly on my USCT blog. usctchronicle.blogspot.com There were 22 USCT regiments organized in KY. Ingrid her name is Agnes Kane Callum

daviss: Is that Agnes Callum or something like that AYWalton oops

alt: I knew there was a bunch of'em formed in KY

AYWalton: lol many were formed actually quite late in the war. But alt, did you know that there was a monument erected in 1924 to the USCTs in KY?

Ingrid_Doweary: Okay, Thanks AY.

AYWalton: a group of black women who were part of the women's auxiliary of the GAR post erected it. I have a photo of the monument on that blog post.

alt: check out my Adams WDTYA challenge from the adams family reunion http://tinyurl.com/43rpvf2

vkn: Take all care good peeps

daviss: later

Selma: My question is at any time were Slave Owners in states that did not sucede, paid for allowing their property enlist

alt: Yes I did know of the monument AYWalton

Ingrid_Doweary: Signing off good folks. Have a great weekend.

alt: the answer is a 'qualified' NO Selma

AYWalton: I think that many submitted to be paid---but were the actually paid?? I am not certain. the = they

Selma: Ok..I will send you images of a couple of pages..the list undated..and hard to read

AYWalton: would still love to see it, though. I better run---working on another video for The Freedmen Series for my YouTube channel.

daviss: I wonder if a Tolbert was on that list

AYWalton: have a good one, folks!

daviss: later ay

Selma: I am trying to come out of this fog I have been in for the past couple of weeks

daviss: you mean by looking at all those images or because of your accident

Selma: the accident

daviss: oh yes.. I know its hard especially when you are an active person

Selma: Looking at the images kept me distracted..so I didn't go more nuts then usual

daviss: hopefully soon you will be all better Selma

Selma: I am taking my time and not rushing...

alt: me too Selma, been having some unneeded discussion with younger folk and genealogy/family history stuff.... As you say 'they think this stuff only got started when they became involved' ... like I'm seeing with the new stuff on AA genealogy, there is no respect for anything done by AA's as recent as 20-25 years ago.

Selma: Just doing what the Doc's say and physical therapist I know alt..I told you the impression is that the Conversation didn't start till they started it..

daviss: your mentors work as an example alt

alt: All this bloggin & tweetin & radio talk.... and most of them have only been at it for only a few years... maybe 5 at the most.

daviss: The Pres is in Richmond I see

Selma: Oh..jeez don't have the TV on..

daviss: big crowd

Selma: Missed his speech last night..

alt: okay, I've vented LOL LOL LOL

daviss: well I hear ya alt and don't mind if you vent

Selma: We had a meeting..the speakers were 2 ladies who were Crab Pickers at the John Mallary Phillips Crab factory in Hamtpon.

daviss: how did that go Selma

Selma: Phillips was black..we have a couple of members who were related.. One of the women is an artist... She has done some wonderful paintings of the factory and the people who worked there.

daviss: Were they aware of the relation before the women came

Selma: Of 2 of them yes The seafood industry, crabs, oystering etc..was big here still is

alt: when was the Crab factory in the height of it's operation Selma?

Selma: provided employment for hundreds of folks.. Most of the employees are now Asian..

alt: ah so, it is still in operation.

Selma: Phillips is deceased..

daviss: oh, and why is that Selma

Selma: think it was sold

daviss: ok I see

Selma: Because like women who did "day work", they did it to give their children other opportunities Like "the Help" The pickers were women.. These women began working in the 1950's

daviss: interesting Selma

alt: was his operation 'gobbled-up' by a larger corporation Selma?

Selma: One lady worked in the Summer and on Saturday's in the winter to pay for her college tuition..it was hard tedious work\ Not sure alt..

daviss: I can imagine Selma and I am sure they had to have a quota dangerous too I imagine

Selma: Their mothers and grandmothers also worked there..they would go on Saturday's as children age 9 or ten...picked claw meat

alt: wonderful story... of his entrepreneurship and the determination of the women to earn money for a better life for their family

daviss: well if something does not happen soon with this economy, we may see those types of situations again. Texas already has most of their folks on min wage

Selma: Gotta run folks..I need a nap.. LOL

daviss: take care Selma I quick question alt

alt: well, I'm off to the "Cafe" to play a few games.... Anita got'em for 1K earlier this week daviss

daviss: lol alt good luck

alt: okay daviss, shoot

daviss: this project we signed up for, will the relative finder be free also if your understanding as long as we do the surveys

alt: I thought so daviss.... I thought you got the Y-DNA, if male mtDNA for male & female & the Relative Finder admixture testing done with that RITF kit.

daviss: ok thx I will have to take a closer look

alt: I should be hearing from them in another 2-3 weeks with my results

daviss: mabe before alt

alt: maybe

daviss: good luck at the cafe

alt: thanks.. they've kicked my butt the last 2-3 times I've been there.

daviss: no fair

alt: really!!!!! see ya later

daviss: bye

18 Dec 2002 :: 1 Feb 2009
Copyright © 2002-2008 by AfriGeneas. All rights reserved.
AfriGeneas ~ African Ancestored Genealogy