Try a new Ancestry.com Membership!

Domain Name Registration at GoDaddy.com 120x60

Footnote.com

Note: Please follow the link(s) on the navigation bar below to search additional messages that have been archived to conserve space. If no link is visible, no messages have been archived on this board.

2011-09-08 1866 Alabama Census

*LunchBunch

Start: 12:07:00
End: 13:51:49
Chatters: 3rdthawkins, daviss, fierybug08, Ingrid_Doweary, Selma, Seventies Soulchild, vkn

3rdthawkins: hey daviss

daviss: hello 3rd! how are you today?

3rdthawkins: doing good, checkin' out the WWII draft registration cards on familysearch, the 1942 in Texas are proving fruitful a little for my Cummings line...funny how very few males born between 1877 and 1897 and others seem to have not registered at all

daviss: that would be my thinking 3rd because there are more than a few in all my lines that are not there and come to think of it, they lived in very rural areas so that may play intoit into it

3rdthawkins: possibly

daviss: I have a list of men that went to the same church as my granddad and they all fit that age range. Only one man along with my grandfather was listed

3rdthawkins: another thing is date of births seem to change, my 2nd grgf Ed Hughes in census his age is given as if he was born around 1877 1878, but other records, wwi draft card, death certificate, grave, indicates/says he was born in 1872

daviss: well that is surely in the range that we should look in My great grandmother DC signed by her daughter has her age listed as born in 1876. I found her in the 1870 census as 4 yrs old

3rdthawkins: ahh, see, I have plenty of those

daviss: so I had to adjust my ggrandfathers age down to around 1865 instead of 1869 that the census had him figuring he is older than her..I still have not found him though in 70 or 80

3rdthawkins: yeah, that make sense

daviss: so in turn, I had to adjust Mariah's age down to about 1845 lol

3rdthawkins: ahh, ok

daviss: or perhaps earlier

3rdthawkins: I hate differing dates of births, but the Cummings' dob's seem to be very accurate and consistent

daviss: that is very good for your research 3rd

3rdthawkins: yes it is, makes it very easy, hehe

daviss: all of your lines seem to be coming together

3rdthawkins: yes they are, Im glad....would like to find more information on my maternal grandmother's father and have his line complete so before she passes her date of birth varies also, she tried ordering her BC and couldn't, she didn't have the right year

daviss: is she ill 3rd?

3rdthawkins: no she's not, she's in her early 80s not that I'm expecting her to, but you know...

daviss: I wonder if she were delivered by a midwife where was she born

3rdthawkins: her age on her first marriage rec is given wrong, they (and I think she meant the court or whoever married her) bumped her age up to two years to make her able to marry, so her age on my mom's BC would be wrong also, so.... she was born in Hempstead Co. AR I believe, not sure, a midwife may be possible, her father died 15 days before her birth, so finding a death record for him would help

daviss: oh ark

3rdthawkins: yeah

daviss: my daughter's line is Hempstead Mitchell, Holmes and Cryor/Cryer

3rdthawkins: ahh, ok afternoon Selma

daviss: hello Selma! how are you today

3rdthawkins: now I can say (good) afternoon, I'm on the east coast :}

Selma: Afternoon daviss and 3rd

daviss: usually I am the only left coast person lol I should say desert coast lol

3rdthawkins: yeah, when I was in AZ this past June, I realized I had to log in at 9:00 a.m., that's too early for me, lol

daviss: oh Selma, did you read that article I sent you?

Selma: Yes, I am not familiar with that person

daviss: I was wondering if she were in your genealogy group

Selma: Nope daviss..not someone I know

daviss: It will come on at 4pm here

Selma: We have a meeting tonight..I hope folks show up

daviss: you will have some die hard genealogy people there selma. Not sure about the husbands lol

Selma: LOL

3rdthawkins: lol daviss

daviss: will there be a speaker tonight

Selma: Yes... 2 women who worked at a Crab Picking Factory here in Hampton The company was owned by a black man here .

daviss: oh wow, I would love to hear that

Selma: Crab manufacturing was big business here..and probably still is

3rdthawkins: that's all I hear about on the east coast, crabs

daviss: blue crabs are wonderful for gumbo seasoning

3rdthawkins: I just discovered when I was older that I was allergic to crabs, that's why my throat/voice reacted the way it did when I was younger I thought I was eating it wrong or something

Selma: I make a pretty good crab cake daviss

daviss: my mother would get about 10 to go into the pot, then the snow crabs and lobster . next shrimp yummy

3rdthawkins: I hate being allergic to it, crabs are so good, I love the crab seasoning

daviss: I have never made crab cakes selma.. can you send me the recipe so I can try it. Is it somewhat like salmon croquettes

3rdthawkins: yes they are daviss

daviss: I am glad I am not allergic to seafood

Selma: I think you will like daviss.. This is a big seafood area daviss... Many men made their living fishing, oystering etc..

3rdthawkins: come to D.C. and get some chicken and mumbo sauce my bro's favorite

daviss: I can imagine, anywhere but here lol. I used to run up to the meat market when the fish came in from Louisiana every week love oysters too selma . sheesh I am getting hungry now send me that recipe selma and I bet I will have me crabcakes by tomorrow lol lol half of them will have some cayenne pepper in it for me I meant to ask Selma, how old are these ladies that will be speaking tonight?

Selma: In their 60's & 70's..they spoke at the Hampton History Musuem in the Spring and the room was packed. I missed cause I had another meeting.. They actually could be older

daviss: I was asked to think about another presentation but I am not sure yet chattering teeth and knocking knees don't get it

Selma: They want you to speak?

daviss: yep at a genealogy meeting

Selma: Do one on telling folks to look at Maps...

daviss: hmmmmm

Selma: Start with the Census map book done by Thorndale..I think I sent you an image from that book

daviss: thinking writing that name down

Selma: It shows the state and counties over time..1790 up to 1920...or when the state formed.

daviss: ok

Selma: Map Guide to the US Federal Censuses 1790 to 1920 William Thorndale and William Dollarhide

daviss: ok got it

Selma: There are now sites on line which give you state and county lines..some folks have no idea what other states surround the ones they researh..or understand migration

3rdthawkins: yahoo maps shows you county lines hello vkn

vkn: Howdy Y'all Look like ya be closing down or am I early lol

3rdthawkins: we're the only ones

daviss: lol we are just where you think we are

vkn: lol

daviss: vkn I just checked the calendar...no new entries as of yet

vkn: Howdy Ingrid

Ingrid_Doweary: Hey Vkn, Selma, Daviss, and 3rd. How goes it?

Selma: Afternoon Ingrid

vkn: okies daviss Guess it takes a minnit

daviss: I looked around for upcoming az events and found none

Selma: Is the 1866 Alabama State Census on line yet at Ancestry or is it Family Search

3rdthawkins: not sure for Ala for either site

vkn: Selma a portion is at AfriGeneas

daviss: I have no idea selma checking now on ancestry

Selma: Is that the 1866 or the 1865 vkn at Afrigeneas?

vkn: 1866 along with other years

3rdthawkins: I can't for the life of me figure out why draft registration cards for Arkansas skips surnames starting with MA and goes right to surnames for "Mc..."

daviss: it says 1820-1866 selma

Selma: Where daviss at Ancestry?

daviss: Ancestry is it the same

vkn: http://www.afrigeneas.com/aacensus/al/1866Calh.htm see that link Selma

daviss: oh this is the colored census vkn

Selma: I see vkn..that is for Calhoun County Alabama

3rdthawkins: ok, never mind, got it

daviss: ooooooh look at who compiled this lol

vkn: Yes but there are other counties selma just posted the one vkn did

daviss: About Alabama State Census, 1820-1866 This database contains state censuses from Alabama for the years 1820, 1850, 1855, and 1866.

vkn: yes daviss cause my grand and great grand bell and hendrix listed lol

daviss: lol lol @ vkn is that mariah Bell vkn

vkn: Richard and his brother Robert Glad to see that ancestry has it

daviss: Autauga, Baldwin, Barbour, Bibb, Blount, Butler, Calhoun, Chambers, Cherokee, Choctaw, Clarke, Coffee, Conecuh, Coosa, Covington, Dale, Dallas, De Kalb, Fayette, Franklin, Greene, Henry, Jackson, Jefferson, Lauderdale, Lawrence, Limestone, Lowndes, Macon, Marengo, Marion, Marshall, Mobile, Monroe, Montgomery, Morgan, Perry, Pickens, Pike, Randolph, Russell, Shelby, St Clair, Sumter, Talladega, Tallapoosa, Tuscaloosa, Walker, Washington, Wilcox, Winston these are the counties for 1866

vkn: Talladega is a non burned county

Selma: The 1865 Huntsville & Athens County Census found in Alabama FB 105 is different.

Ingrid_Doweary: Glad to see Baldwin county was included.

Selma: It includes names of former slave owners

daviss: what county is anniston

vkn: Calhoun

Selma: What county is Huntsville...Madison County?

vkn: yes selma

daviss: looks like madison was not included in 66

vkn: There was a 1865 in Madison

Ingrid_Doweary: Why was Alabama enumerated in 1866?

vkn: Selma sent me that To get back in the Union

Selma: I am going to try and transcribe it vkn

Ingrid_Doweary: Oh restoration to the United States.

daviss: I was looking to see a patillo in calhoun but no luck

Ingrid_Doweary: Hey Seventies.

vkn: Wow I started it and cannot find the work also the film is in some unpacked box

Seventies Soulchild: Good afternoon good people

3rdthawkins: hello Seventies

daviss: hello seventies

Seventies Soulchild: hi fierybug08

3rdthawkins: hello fierybug08

daviss: hello fierybug08

Ingrid_Doweary: Hey Fierybug08

vkn: Also Doll has Baldwin on her site

fierybug08: hi everyone. virtual wave to vkn Ingrid_Doweary daviss Seventies Soulchild 3rdthawkins

Seventies Soulchild: hi 3rd, daviss, Ingrid_Doweary, Selma and vkn

Ingrid_Doweary: Virtual wave back you, Fierybug08.

Selma: Virginia Crawford, 13, female, West Side Church, last owner Mrs. Armilda Crawford, house servant, Madison Co, Ala; present employment - house servant, remarks - none Virginia Crawford is the first one on the list

fierybug08: lol vkn

Selma: Hi fierybug and seventies

daviss: oh my, Selma that is wonderful

fierybug08: great job Selma today I discovered another surname.

vkn: Selma a whole village of USCT were discharged/ mustered out to Huntsville

3rdthawkins: cool fiery what is it?

daviss: great fierybug08

fierybug08: my Webster is the stepson of Chisolm

vkn: and that reel you have includes Limestone County and maybe one other. It is info rich

Ingrid_Doweary: Good for you Fierybug

3rdthawkins: so Chisholm is a direct ancestral name/line?

fierybug08: Willis Webster 3grandfather was on the 1880 Census and listed as a stepson of Thomas Chisolm and Viney Chisolm i'm not sure 3rd.

daviss: viney is his mother

3rdthawkins: oh, ok, that's good

Selma: It says Huntsville and Athens vkn..not sure if the other counties named like Limestone, means they were born there

daviss: her line if he is stepson

fierybug08: his father was born in VA, but he is with his brother Joe also listed with mother. it says he is the stepson of the HOH

daviss: is Joe Vineys son

3rdthawkins: so Chisholm is a step-surname, do you know Viney's surname?

Seventies Soulchild: that's great fierybug08

3rdthawkins: or maiden name

fierybug08: no....i have to do that next

3rdthawkins: ok

vkn: Memory is faded Selma

fierybug08: i am trying to find DC as well as WWII draft cards

3rdthawkins: when was Willis born?

fierybug08: daviss...Joe is also listed as stepson to HOH

Ingrid_Doweary: Looking for DC and WWII for ?

fierybug08: I was able to piece together relationships using WWII draft cards or at least verify DOB by cross referencing Census records.

Ingrid_Doweary: Willis Webster or Thomas Chisolm?

daviss: when were the boys born fierybug08 perhaps you may find them with Viney in 1870

fierybug08: I found one of Willis Webster's sons' WWII registration cards.

Selma: Have to run folks ..have a great day

fierybug08: i will try looking to find Viney in 1870. Willis Webster was born in 1861

daviss: ok then he should be in 70

3rdthawkins: WWII Draft Cards only shows the old men's draft, those born between 1877 and 1897, you may find them in any draft cards if born before 1872 fierbug08

daviss: what state fierybug08

3rdthawkins: you may not find them in either draft cards

fierybug08: oh okay. thanks 3rd. i'll keep that in mind Big texas--- of course!!!!

3rdthawkins: there are some great resources for texas though, you will be surprised

fierybug08: well...my favorite side corner Cass county, but it would have also shown up in Linden county. During 1851-1861 Cass and Linden boundry lines were being found over

daviss: was willis sons in cass at the time fierybug08 on the draft records

fierybug08: in Linden County...near Cass Armstead Webster

daviss: ok they registered in Linden

vkn: Y'all be good!

fierybug08: Willis mother was born in GA and father was born in VA.

Seventies Soulchild: I'm here, just multi tasking.. lol but reading as I go

Ingrid_Doweary: Understood. It's time for me to sign off any way. See you good folks later.

Seventies Soulchild: bye Ingrid have a great day

Ingrid_Doweary: Thanks you all do the same.

3rdthawkins: same here, im browsing wwii draft cards

daviss: later Ingrid, I better run too folks. I will look around for you fierybug08 a

Seventies Soulchild: what?? hmph leaving me here by myself??

daviss: oops she is gone lol seventies

Seventies Soulchild: how are you Ms. daviss???

daviss: you can hold up the fort

Seventies Soulchild: LOL

daviss: Ms Daviss is fine

Seventies Soulchild: Good

daviss: what about Ms Soulchild

Seventies Soulchild: I have been zoning the last few chat sessions.. Been busy. Trying to readjust to the school schedule

daviss: I see that.. You have to change your wicked ways

Seventies Soulchild: LOL I'm not THAT bad! lol

daviss: how did the schedule change for you work wise

Seventies Soulchild: Coming in earlier.

daviss: lol re that bad

Seventies Soulchild: :( you hurt my feelings... lol

daviss: you drop the boys off awwwwww

Seventies Soulchild: No, I get up with them to make sure they don't forget anything... lol

daviss: or do they catch a school bus

Seventies Soulchild: They go to the bus by themselves.

daviss: I wish Tyler had a bus to catch

Seventies Soulchild: soon enough... :}

daviss: daughter lives 1.75 miles from school

Seventies Soulchild: Oh that stinks!

daviss: bus picks up 2 miles

Seventies Soulchild: smh

daviss: I know and he is too young to walk by himself so I catch the city bus with him at 1.25 cents round for me and 80 cents for him

Seventies Soulchild: That's not too bad. When he goes to middle/intermediate school will he be able to take the bus?

daviss: city bus

Seventies Soulchild: So he won't be able to take the school bus?? Y'all need to move! lol

daviss: Taylor used to catch the 5 30 am bus to get to school at 7 am

Seventies Soulchild: wow Well I'm looking to get both of my boys into some extracurricularsl.

daviss: The one good thing now is that the lady next door brings Tyler home from school

Seventies Soulchild: That's nice of her.

daviss: If he were to stay after school until daughter gets off work that is 50 bucks a week

Seventies Soulchild: wow

daviss: after care

Seventies Soulchild: I remember those days... I didn't have a choice

daviss: so if you look at it, 70 plus dollars is steep

Seventies Soulchild: yes I am well aware of it. lol single parenthood can be expensive. She only has one. I had two

daviss: before I kept him for her day care was about 145 dollars weekly so granny to the rescue when the price went up lol

Seventies Soulchild: lol yep!

daviss: good thing her kids were spread apart

Seventies Soulchild: really!

daviss: lol

Seventies Soulchild: Well let me get going its almost 2 pm and I have a ton of work still to do. :(

daviss: sticking out lip

Seventies Soulchild: Have a great day daviss!

daviss: u2

18 Dec 2002 :: 1 Feb 2009
Copyright © 2002-2008 by AfriGeneas. All rights reserved.
AfriGeneas ~ African Ancestored Genealogy