Try a new Ancestry.com Membership!

Domain Name Registration at GoDaddy.com 120x60

Footnote.com

Note: Please follow the link(s) on the navigation bar below to search additional messages that have been archived to conserve space. If no link is visible, no messages have been archived on this board.

2011-09-07 Confederate • swarthy • DNA

*LunchBunch

Start: 12:05:23
End: 13:12:12
Chatters: 3rdthawkins, alt, AYWalton, daviss, fierybug08, ProfDru, Selma, Seventies Soulchild, vkn

alt: Hello daviss, I'll be here when you get back LOL

daviss: lol hi there alt!

alt: Howdy pardner... wanna buy an IPad? LOL

daviss: I was just reading your response to 3rd lol lol @ IPAD I was thinking, that they could actually be brothers

alt: Yeah, trying to follow 3rd's posting and the best I could come up with was a possible misstatement as to the parents of the two, or one individual

daviss: did you catch the ages at death

alt: yep, that's a possibility also no, there was too much there too read, I must have missed the age remarks.

daviss: I have two uncle James. One by first wife and one by second on 3rd they were 4 or 5 yrs apart on births and at least 10 yrs on deaths

alt: Yep, that happens... children being given the same first name, but often with different middle names.... look at George Foreman (sp) and his 6-7 okay, I missed that daviss

daviss: yep and as a side note regarding George lol his property that he bought for the training camp is right next to my gggrands in Marshall and his birth name is not Forman just raised by his stepfather

alt: I'm having some questions on the guy whose g-grandfather served in both the Confederate & Union Army.... It's a great story and I would like to hear his response to some questions.... no argument, just curious

Seventies Soulchild: hi alt and daviss

daviss: oh yes me too like the name lol'

alt: is that right daviss? re: george

daviss: hello seventies soulchild yep alt true

alt: Hi Seventies Soulchild, how are ya today?

AYWalton: Good afternoon, all.

3rdthawkins: hello alt daviss seventies and aywalton

AYWalton: hi 3rd

Seventies Soulchild: I'm doing well, how about you alt? and you too daviss.

daviss: hello AYWalton and 3rd

AYWalton: howdy alt, daviss, Soulchile!

alt: Hello 3rd & AY.... the party is getting started LOL

Seventies Soulchild: Hi AYWalton and 3rd

daviss: lol lol oops laughing too hard

Seventies Soulchild: alt I was reading through that thread earlier. Interesting story.

AYWalton: we are having a major downpour here in MD. Wish we could export some to folks in TX.

Seventies Soulchild: But what does 'swarthy' mean???

3rdthawkins: yeah, here too in VA AY

alt: Seventies Soulchild .. you ducked out on me yesterday... the family living in West Point were the Hayden's ... Lloyd Daniel Hayden and his kids... I think he might have worked at the Academy

daviss: I hear ya AY. I just talked to a cousin in Austin

Seventies Soulchild: sorry alt.. lol

AYWalton: to me, swarthy means tanned and probably somewhat leatherly in appearance.

3rdthawkins: hello Prodru

daviss: hi ProfDru

AYWalton: ProfDru is in da house!!

ProfDru: hello gang

Seventies Soulchild: hi ProfDru

alt: me too AYWalton on "swarthy"

daviss: I would agree with that AYWalton

3rdthawkins: never heard that term before interesting

daviss: learn something new everyday 3rd lol

alt: we've got a lot of swarthy folks in our family LOL

AYWalton: a man who worked in the fields--a farmer to me would have a swarthy appearance.

3rdthawkins: yep, hangin' with you all :()

daviss: construction workers

alt: 3rdthawkins, you saw my response to your post on the States Forum?

AYWalton: I think the term would include white folks, light skinned black folks as well. Yes construction workers, sailors or stevedores, etc.

3rdthawkins: lol alt I hear ya, same on my dad's side

daviss: cowboys

3rdthawkins: not yet alt, just got in from D.C., was there for the weekend,

Seventies Soulchild: The question is, what did it mean in 1860 - 1865? This relates to Jan's post in "Myth of AfricanAmerican Confederate Soldier".

3rdthawkins: actually was in MD, but spent the night in D.C. hotel because of the rain

alt: okay, I just put it up bout 1/2 hour ago

3rdthawkins: ok, Im gonna go check it out now

Seventies Soulchild: I also got to check out the blog "Finding Agnes"

alt: Seventies Soulchild, I'm asking .. did he go into the confederate army as an African American, or was he mistaken for a white guy? hello Selma

AYWalton: Howdy Ms. Selma!

ProfDru: hello selma

Seventies Soulchild: oh ok. Well maybe Jan will respond back with an answer.

alt: he was obviously seen as a black man or he wouldn't have been an enlisted man in the USCT.

3rdthawkins: ok alt, yeah, I agree with that, the one with Joe Cummings has the wrong parents, Allen has the right one I believe

Selma: Afternoon everyone

alt: and the "myth" is not about the onesy-twosy's as Bennie often says, but about the thousands of black confederates who served in an 'integrated' confederate army.

daviss: I would love to know the name of the soldier

Seventies Soulchild: LOL I am running on auto pilot here.. I just read what I typed.. lol

alt: me too daviss

AYWalton: greetings, VKN!

ProfDru: hello vkn

vkn: Greetings to each and all

Seventies Soulchild: right, how the truth is bent into being made a lie. gotcha alt.

3rdthawkins: right alt, there's always exceptions to the rule, but the majority of the time you won't get AA's serving as Confederates

alt: hello vkn.... wanna buy an IPad? lol

Seventies Soulchild: hi vkn

3rdthawkins: hey vkn

AYWalton: lol @ alt!!!

vkn: LOL LOL LOL @ alt

daviss: hello vkn!

vkn: 3rd seventies profdru ayw daviss selma http://www.afrigeneas.com/aacensus/al/ Seventies have you been here

daviss: art, your friends grand that was captured and joined the union, did he survive the war

alt: yes he did daviss.. and his name is on the USCT monument in DC

daviss: thats wonderful alt

Seventies Soulchild: hey fierybug08

vkn: Another potential resource for 1866 Alabama census http://www.afrigeneas.com/aacensus/al/1860calhoun.html Howdy fiery

alt: his name was Tobias Bowdry daviss and I think he served under the nameof Wilson Jones.

fierybug08: hello everyone. Virtual wave to Seventies Soulchild vkn daviss AYWalton alt ProfDru Selma 3rd

alt: Hello fierybug08 ...

ProfDru: virtually waving back to ya, fierybug

AYWalton: hope all is well fierybug!

fierybug08: everything is good. just a little rain, but all is well

daviss: was his slaveholder Bowdry

Selma: Hi fiery..

alt: yes he was daviss

fierybug08: haven't seen you in a while Selma. How are you?

Selma: Doing OK fiery

vkn: good to hear selma

3rdthawkins: ok alt, I responded to the post, I agree, the uncle-by-marriage confused his wife's cousin with his wife's nephew of the same name. His daughter was informant on one, that is her mother's brother, and she was informant on her mother's DC and correctly stated the parents. So now I can put the right Joe with the right family. Thanks

alt: glad I could help 3rdthawkins

3rdthawkins: I should say he confused his wife's cousin with his wife's brother

AYWalton: going to run, folks. Have a good one!

alt: I dunno cause now you've got me confused LOL LOL LOL

3rdthawkins: lol

fierybug08: me too lol

daviss: me too alt lol

Selma: So on the Confederate soldier..was he Free, since they say he wasn't a slave?

fierybug08: thank goodness for transcripts

3rdthawkins: now you know I how felt lol lol

vkn: Did you see the "slavery" game posted in TheGriot this morning if so what do you think about it ?

daviss: dunno Selma,

alt: that was another question I asked him Selma.. were these folks listed in the census prior to the CW as FPOC's?

Seventies Soulchild: Who knows. You know it has come to my attention that people post on public message boards just to stir up controversy.

daviss: hoax in my opinion vkn

3rdthawkins: she didn't say much Seventies, she just threw out one little fact or whatever, and never really showed she studied it

alt: this guy has made this claim on the boards before Seventies Soulchild, but you could be right, even they he stated his post was 'not to start a debate'

3rdthawkins: no one's saying it can't happen and that it's impossible, but it's not likely

ProfDru: gotta run

Seventies Soulchild: I don't read the Griot or the Root. All of it is just 'black face' white words.

vkn: Well I have a "Confederate" in my tree and he is posted on the wall at the memorial in DC Name is BUSH

Seventies Soulchild: Interesting vkn

alt: I know vkn.. and we know there are exceptions... did he serve as a 'soldier' in both the Union and Confederate Army, or was he an 'impressed confederate' and not a 'soldier'

Selma: Sure got quiet.. LOL

Seventies Soulchild: yep

daviss: I was waiting lol

alt: folks be thinking Selma

Seventies Soulchild: Anyway, ok well last night I was on genealogywise and saw how they did their nightly chats. it was interesting.

Selma: How do they do it seventies?

vkn: Alt he served with Pelham and may have been a body servant BUT he be glorified and celebrated by the wheet peeps in Alabama

Seventies Soulchild: they have a topic night and a person selects an article or issue and they post it. And you can discuss after the presentation is complete.

alt: oh I'm sure vkn.

Seventies Soulchild: Kind of like a low cost webinar... lol

daviss: did he get a pension vkn

3rdthawkins: sounds interesting

vkn: He did daviss

alt: a Union pension vkn, right vkn or one from Alabama for his service to the confederacy? or both

vkn: Not sure about source alt will need to double check

alt: okay vkn

daviss: was he one of the Bush clan that went over to Colorado vkn?

vkn: Prolly from Alabama. He brought Pelham and his horse back safely to Calhoun County from Richmond VA

daviss: faithful

vkn: The clan you speak may have stemmed from him daviss

alt: Seventies Soulchild,,,, West Point is in Putnam Co., right?

Seventies Soulchild: No Orange County

vkn: Calhoun county is rich in poor Bush daviss lol

alt: okay, the Hayden's, Lloyd Daniel Hayden worked at the Academy.. is Putnam Co., NY nearby?

daviss: lol lol vkn

Seventies Soulchild: Yes quite close. Actually West Point sits near a tri-county area.

daviss: any Spann's in your line vkn or Burks/Burke

vkn: Not to my knowledge daviss where are they "

Seventies Soulchild: so its 15 mins in any direction from Putnam, Rockland and Orange. Just by the Hudson river

vkn: I will see daviss

daviss: now vkn, you know how my luck runs :o

vkn: lol

Seventies Soulchild: Google is getting on my nerves.

alt: okay Seventies Soulchild, I did some genealogy for the Hayden's.. they married into an AA Eichelberger family from SC that migrated to Springfield, Ohio.

vkn: If Calhoun and Cleburne Counties then they may be kin to my BELLs

Seventies Soulchild: ok

daviss: don't you have ties in Autauga (sp)

Seventies Soulchild: lol daviss you're going to get it right one day.. AUTAUGA!

daviss: lol lol seventies

vkn: Bought a stylus on Monday and it helps with the ipad keyboard

Seventies Soulchild: I have ties in Autauga County, AL... Laniers Mixons Smiths

fierybug08: how do you pronouce Autauga?

alt: I do daviss.. the Wicker family ca the 1830's who became FPOC and came into Ohio.. the Wicker's married into the Reno family her in the 1850's.

Seventies Soulchild: Aw-Ta-Gwa Actually long a Ah Tah Gwa

fierybug08: hmmm just what I thought *in my southern accent*

Seventies Soulchild: LOL sorry wrong again Ah Tah Ga

alt: I think there was a settlement of French Huguenot's in Autauga Co in the early 1800's that came there from Manakin Town in Goochland Co., VA.

Seventies Soulchild: You know I was reading about some Dejarnettes who were in VA. They are also in Autauga, Co.

daviss: patillos in autauga

Seventies Soulchild: There are also some DeBardlabon's in the area. white and black

vkn: alt how long to get results from FTDNA

Seventies Soulchild: I haven't seen a patillo yet daviss.. lol

alt: usually about 4-6 weeks vkn for mtDNA, Y-DNA & Admixture

vkn: and how then to send to african ancestry or what is the next sequence

alt: Isn't Autauga near Moblie, AL were there is a heavy concentration of French influence.

vkn: I am almost totally clueless with this dna business

Seventies Soulchild: Mobile is near the coast. Autauga is in the black belt

alt: not sure if there is an 'exchange' between AA and FTDNA vkn.

Seventies Soulchild: Close to Biloxi, MS, Pass Christian

vkn: ahhhh

Seventies Soulchild: I do know that AA does read DNA tests from other companies.

vkn: ok

daviss: what do you mean alt about exchange

vkn: AYW gave me a good orientation but I get lost in the forum discussions re dna I need to constantly update my glossary if not my understanding

alt: there are many places where you can have your "allele" and DYS values analyzed regardles of company that tested. example mitosearch & Y-DNA search.

vkn: hmmm okies new language alt , watch it !

alt: daviss, some companies allow you to input your 'raw data' into their algorithems from other companies for interpaetation Oops, soryy bout that vkn LOL

vkn: whoa mister fesser thomas

daviss: ok I heard that alt.. I may move brothers to FTDNA

alt: no, know-it-all Thomas LOL

vkn: selma did you dna as yet know it none nelson

alt: vkn, I know enough to be 'dangerous' LOL

vkn: lol lol lol y'all be good

alt: well y'all clock on the wall says 'quittin time' see ya's

daviss: me too lol bye sel and seventies

18 Dec 2002 :: 1 Feb 2009
Copyright © 2002-2008 by AfriGeneas. All rights reserved.
AfriGeneas ~ African Ancestored Genealogy