Try a new Ancestry.com Membership!

Domain Name Registration at GoDaddy.com 120x60

Footnote.com

Note: Please follow the link(s) on the navigation bar below to search additional messages that have been archived to conserve space. If no link is visible, no messages have been archived on this board.

2011-09-06 St.Croix Land • Dowry

*TuesNite

Start: 21:04:25
End: 21:57:22
Chatters: 3rdthawkins, aadancer, alt, daviss, Ingrid_Doweary, jhonora, Khathu, Selma, vkn

3rdthawkins: hey daviss

daviss: hello 3rdthawkins

3rdthawkins: working on that post daviss......hello aadancer, good to see you

daviss: and hello to you also aadancer..long time no see lol How have you been?

aadancer: Hi there...I'm early bird tonight......glad to be here

daviss: are you going to download both dc's 3rd? hello jhonora!

aadancer: I;ve been relativelly fine and happy although I had to go back to work today...a teacher

3rdthawkins: hey jhonora.......yes daviss

jhonora: Hello daviss, aadancer, 3rdthawkins

daviss: lol school started here about a month ago aadancer glad to have the kids back in school

aadancer: Hi jhonora...here in NY.. teachers reported in today... the little lovelies on thursday.

daviss: are those texas death certificates 3rd were you all affected by the storm aa?

aadancer: The last time I was here I had just come back from St Croix.. family reunion and research time..I had a ball looking at Church records and census reports.

jhonora: Hello alt!

daviss: wow aadancer, I bet you did..Did you find any of your peeps?

3rdthawkins: yes daviss, I'm learning and finding out more as I write the post, I believe they are both 1st cousins, but the informants put the wrong parents, so both have the same parents......also someone else in census that's a brother to one of them

alt: hello all .. 3rdthawkins, daviss, aadancer & jhonora

daviss: good evening alt!

3rdthawkins: hey alt, good to see you

aadancer: Also had to go back in August...I"m more broke but was able to get some more research done.

daviss: well worth the "broke" huh aa lol

3rdthawkins: hello Selma

daviss: evening Selma!

jhonora: Evening Selma!

Selma: Good evening everyone one..3rd, aa, alt, daviss, johonora

alt: hello Selma

daviss: did you find anything that you were not aware of aadancer?

aadancer: n my July trip I was told about several cousins I didn.t know existed... older ones who gave me lost of info. However the oldest was in the hospital. I made a list of questions to ask not knowing that I'd be back so soon in August

3rdthawkins: hey Ingrid

aadancer: Unfortunately she passed 2 days before we got back... delayed by Irene. but I was able to go to her funeral and got the program... helped me know who she was

jhonora: Hello Ingrid

Selma: Evening Ingrid

alt: hello Ingrid_Doweary

3rdthawkins: looks like another wet week Ingrid_Doweary

daviss: oh my! sorry to hear that aadancer.

Ingrid_Doweary: Hey 3rd. Hey Jhonora, Evening, Selma. Hello Alt. Hey Davis and Aadancer.

3rdthawkins: yeah that's unfortunate aadancer, sorry to hear that

daviss: hello ingrid!

Ingrid_Doweary: Yes, 3rd it does look like a wet week.

aadancer: Hi Ingrid... But we found some important "tems" on our family land which is being cleard... the remnants of an old sugar mill and the foundation of a house or a cistern... there had been hearsay that the sugarmill was there but the other structure...WOW

3rdthawkins: hello vkn

jhonora: Hello vkn

alt: hello vkn

Selma: Evening vkn

daviss: that is something aadancer, I know you took plenty of pics lol

3rdthawkins: sounds interesting aadancer, looks like you're having a good time with your findings and discoveries

vkn: 3rd howdy aadancer alt daviss Ingrid jhonora Selma :::whew:::

daviss: hehehehee vkn

Ingrid_Doweary: Hey Vkn

vkn: all that one arthritic finger typing was exhausting lol

daviss: did you say St Croix aadancer

aadancer: yes ..plenty of pics... but now the local Archaeological bureau has to be notified and they will determine the worthiness of each...yes St Croix My mother remembers living on the land...doesn't remember the sugar mill but knows her father dabbled in the sugar cane business .. he was a farmer AND a fisherman.

Khathu: hello everyone

Ingrid_Doweary: Hey Khathu.

Selma: aadancer will they do an archeological dig on the site?

aadancer: hi khathu

Ingrid_Doweary: Chances are Aadancer the mill is listed in a municipal directory.

aadancer: I'm not sure...we were sent a list of "certified" researchers for the VI to determine anything. we're planning to build so we're hoping this doesn't drag out too long.

Ingrid_Doweary: I could appreciate that, aadancer.

aadancer: In the VI , more so under the Danish,there was a business listing...I only found out about it in Julyand didn't have time to look at it in July or August. but we were able to find out the history of ownership of the property before my great grand father. Oh yes Ingrid!!

Ingrid_Doweary: Looks as though, I'm identifying more documentation that my husband is a direct descendant of a USCT. John Dowry, 6th Regiment Heavy Artillery (MS).

Selma: Thats great Ingrid

aadancer: What is USCT?..United States ????

3rdthawkins: wow, great Ingrid colored troops

Ingrid_Doweary: United States Colored Troops.

alt: jhonora.. checked the Warrick guy out in the census 1910 he was in Xenia, OH... 1920 he was in East St. Louis with the Urban League & 1930 he was teaching at Wilberforce UNiv. .. in 1918-1920 he was in WW I ... so I'm not sure when he was in NO teaching school and at what level.

aadancer: Nice find..

daviss: nice find ingrid! Congrats

aadancer: hmm ..educated too!

3rdthawkins: now, was this oral history Ingrid that you're proving, or is this a new discovery?

Ingrid_Doweary: It's funny because I have been examining the 1910 Federal census record and the family property deed for over a year now. 3rd these documents consist of a 1910 census record, several compiled military records and a property deed transferred from the soldier's father to him.

3rdthawkins: ahh, ok, wow, that is a great discovery

Ingrid_Doweary: New discovery, 3rd, analyzing the documents from a different perspective.

3rdthawkins: right, I see, cool

Ingrid_Doweary: Thanks for the congrats.

Khathu: Nice Ingrid

alt: Ingrid_Doweary, so this USCT CW vet should also be found on the 1890 Veteran's Census schedule. which is on Ancestry.com

Ingrid_Doweary: Really, Alt? That's worth looking into. Thanks.

alt: yw Ingrid_Doweary

jhonora: alt, (sorry for delay), I will check for him in the old school catalogs

vkn: Ingrid is this your guy ? Dowry John 26 Battimore, Maryland MS Natchez 1863 6th U.S. Colored Heavy Artillery

alt: no problem jhonora... I'm thinking now he was there in NO probably between 1920 & 1930.

3rdthawkins: wow vkn!

Ingrid_Doweary: Yes, Vkn. That's him. Several of the muster sheets display different spellings to the surname.

vkn: okies So what are you needing on him

aadancer: Are you the only one in your family aware of him? No one older remembers him?

3rdthawkins: nite daviss

Ingrid_Doweary: I'm reviewing my check list for records. I hope to locate a marriage record for him. aadancer, I informed my husband and one of his 1st cousins at the past family reunion.

vkn: Freed Bank DREWEY ABRAM DREWEY ABRAM MS Vicksburg 1872

Ingrid_Doweary: My objective is to present the stories of as many collateral kinsman as possible for the Doweary surname. Where are you seeing that, Vkn?

vkn: Lives in Shreveport LA Born SC wife is Margaret Source African American Heritage ProQuest Ingrid

Ingrid_Doweary: I have a copy of a 1930 census record listing John Doweary as a 90 yr old residing with a daughter and her immediate family.

vkn: Surname of his father is SING

Selma: Where Ingrid

aadancer: And what is the daughter to you?

Ingrid_Doweary: In Jefferson, Frederick County, Maryland, USA. He's enumerated with the John McKinney household. Vkn, J. Doweary (Dowery, Dowry, Dowell) was born in MD and married to Beulah Jobe.

vkn: okies this is abram

Khathu: good night everyone

Ingrid_Doweary: Aadancer the daughter, Mary MBL Doweary McKinney was a 2nd cousin to my husband. Sorry about that, Vkn.

vkn: not a prob

aadancer: does That mean that their grandparents were siblings?

3rdthawkins: nite vkn

Selma: Nite all...

Ingrid_Doweary: Yes indeed, aadancer. My husband's paternal grandfather Martin and Mary were siblings. My slow typing is holding me back. Niters to those left.

aadancer: i see,,i see... sometimes I get lost after 2nd cousins... and the "removed" really gets me good nite to you

Ingrid_Doweary: I understand. Sometimes I use distant in place of removed. Niters. Well Jhonora, good nite to you.

jhonora: Good night!

18 Dec 2002 :: 1 Feb 2009
Copyright © 2002-2008 by AfriGeneas. All rights reserved.
AfriGeneas ~ African Ancestored Genealogy