Try a new Ancestry.com Membership!

Domain Name Registration at GoDaddy.com 120x60

Footnote.com

Note: Please follow the link(s) on the navigation bar below to search additional messages that have been archived to conserve space. If no link is visible, no messages have been archived on this board.

2011-09-05 Adams Reunion • BlogRadio

*LunchBunch

Start: 12:04:11
End: 12:53:40
Chatters: 3rdthawkins, alt, AYWalton, bbenn, deannie, jhonora, Khathu, Selma, Seventies Soulchild

AYWalton: Good aftenoon, alt!

alt: hello AYWalton,,, happy Labor Day

AYWalton: Well the same to you, thanks! how is your nice long holiday weekend coming along? are you doing anything special?

alt: Spent the weekend in Columbus, OH @ the 91st Annual Adams Family Reunion.... Had a great time!!!!!

AYWalton: oh wow---now that's nice! was it well attended?

alt: yes it was .... at different times there were probably 200-250 folks in and out.

AYWalton: what was the setting? hotel, park, function hall?

alt: I;m organizing photos & thoughts to write it up on our MyFamily.com website

AYWalton: wonderful! I am glad you are documenting it. since you have had so many reunions, I think as the family marches towards the 100th reunion---time to document every single one, just for posterity.

alt: We have documentation in some form dating back to the first in 1920.. with 'formal' minutes from 1944 to the present.

AYWalton: wow----what is the family going to do with those papers? and who keeps the records? they should be donated to a museum or special collections at a college or university. perhaps on the 100th anniversary a donation can be made to some kind of institution. (after copies are made, of course!)

alt: This weekend a video was shown of last year our 90th, which featured a graveside service and a presentation on the history of Lewis & Susan Adams from 1790-1864.

AYWalton: great history there, alt! hi 3rd are you the primary historian, alt?

alt: Hello 3rdthawkins.. happy Labor Day to ya.

AYWalton: howdy khathu!

Khathu: hello everyone

3rdthawkins: hey Khathu

AYWalton: hope you are having a good Labor Day!

alt: a great idea from this years reunion .... a cousin made up a WDYTYA Chart that went form Lewis & Susan and the 12 children... it reflected the next 9 generations and how/where you fit into the family structure. I'm going to post a photo of the chart on the Reunion Forum.

3rdthawkins: that's sounds good alt

AYWalton: that was a good idea to give out at the reunion. please post the chart

alt: I thought so AYWalton

AYWalton: what is your news 3rd

alt: Hello Khathu.. how are ya?

3rdthawkins: learned who the family researcher was in the family on my dad's side....

Khathu: I am doing well.

alt: so someone HAS been researching and documenting your paternal family lines 3rdthawkins

3rdthawkins: It was my Great Grandmother Ella Sanders Hawkins, she passed the info down to her grandson, my dad's first cousin....he was looking for me to get in contact with him (he didn't have my number but I spoke with his brother on FB), he's gonna send me the research papers that my great grandmother did, and some photos........it dates back to the Civil War, and has information of slave owners

alt: Hello Selma..

Selma: Happy Labor Day everyone

3rdthawkins: yes alt, the most unexpected person, hello Seventies Soulchild

AYWalton: Howdy Ms. Selma!!!!!

Seventies Soulchild: Good afternoon all. 3rd, alt, AYWalton, Khathu, Selma

alt: now that is great news 3rdthawkins .... it will braoden and expand on what you are/have been doing. Hello Seventies Soulchild

Seventies Soulchild: what's going on with everyone's research?

3rdthawkins: yes it will, definitely, the cousin didn't want to give it to just anybody, he dioesn't have time to do the family research himself and keep the information, but he wanted to give it to someone who would appreciate it and preserve it, so when his brother told him about me, he thought that I was the perfect canidate to give it to

Khathu: Still editing my database and waiting for my CW pension file

Seventies Soulchild: My research is well slow. Having to try to research half a country away makes getting new information a little difficult I hope you hear something soon Khathu

alt: The genealogy God's are smiling down on you 3rdthawkins

Khathu: 8 months and counting

AYWalton: whose file are you waiting for, khathu?

Selma: To get a pension fils Khatu?

AYWalton: but khathu---why don't you go downtown and get it. Should take only about an hour.

Khathu: Lorenza Williams my ggg grandfather's CW pension which is housed at the VA and not the NARA

3rdthawkins: this gives me another story to add to the legacy of my great grandmother, and depending on the information and how accurate and good it is, it goes along with her being an Educator, a business woman, etc.

AYWalton: ahhh at the VA----one of those. I hear ya!

alt: Seventies Soulchild, don't let distance be a 'hang-up', it is often better to be removed from the scene as you gather background information that will help you when and if you get to the research site/area of your ancestors.

Khathu: yes one of those......

AYWalton: 8 months so far, huh? wow---hope they get around to it soon.

Khathu: that would be nice if they did

Seventies Soulchild: There are other things also preoccupying my time too.

alt: what Seventies Soulchild, there are things other than genealogy!!!!!! LOL

Seventies Soulchild: Would love to have more information, but somewhat at a standstill. Then Alabama... ugh I don't even want to talk about it. lol alt yes, SURPRISE!!! lol

3rdthawkins: I'm also starting back on my mom's paternal family tree, the Cummings line, finding lots of information and adding people to the database, thanks to the rich texas resources that are online

Seventies Soulchild: Not that my people don't talk, but they don't talk. If you know what I mean.

3rdthawkins: lol

alt: see 3rdthawkins is gathering information from TX and he is in the DC area.

3rdthawkins: :}

AYWalton: brb

Seventies Soulchild: hello bbenn

Selma: Good afternoon bbenn

bbenn: Hello everyone

AYWalton: hey there, bbenn!

alt: hello bbenn, Happy Labor Day to ya?

3rdthawkins: hello Bbenn

bbenn: If you are on the chat, no cookouts today ?

3rdthawkins: yeah, alt about to grill up something for us :}

bbenn: Happy Labor Day to all of you!

Seventies Soulchild: Its supposed to rain today, also waiting for my god sister to come by and visit... I ain't holding my breath. The girl is right around the corner, literally.

alt: later bbenn, the grill and the meat is being prepared as we Chat LOL

bbenn: hubby is grilling later today!

3rdthawkins: it may be mall for us today, that is it it's cloudy

AYWalton: that sounds good, bbenn!! Hope you have something good off the grill! howdy deannie!!!

3rdthawkins: hello deannie

Seventies Soulchild: hello deannie

AYWalton: good to see you!

alt: deannie from Chi-Town.. how ya doing?

deannie: afternoon everyone

Seventies Soulchild: Ok what is going on up in Chicago, deannie? Any campaigning on behalf of the man who is running for gov of MS??

3rdthawkins: welcome back!

bbenn: I hit the wrong button and got kicked out of the char!

Seventies Soulchild: It happens... :)

3rdthawkins: yeah, I always want to know what that button is for too :}

deannie: Everything is OK in Chicago...school board problem....I have not looked at the race for gov in MS I will check in out

alt: someone got a great photo at our Reunion this weekend... hope to get a copy... the oldest person at the reunion 91 y/o holding 4 mos. old twins.

Seventies Soulchild: Usually some campaigning or soliciting for dollars goes on with that kind of thing. Nice alt

3rdthawkins: ok, let me get back to my Cummings line research, lots and lots of work, wow! And just to think, I did most of it a year ago, i have a lot more to do. Whew! see y'all

bbenn: I posted in notice on the forum of my upcoming blogtalkradio show with special guest Melvin J. Collier.

alt: I'm excited for 3rdthawkins ,,

jhonora: Wow a full house!

bbenn: Melvin has wonderful story to share with us and I truly enjoyed reading his book.

alt: Hello jhonora

jhonora: Hello alt, AYWalton, bbenn, deannie, Khathu, Selma, Seventies

bbenn: Hello jhonora, how is the weather in New Orleans?

Khathu: Hello jhonora

jhonora: bbenn, rain off and on and very strong winds

bbenn: Any flooding?

jhonora: None in the city, thank goodness

alt: jhonora, how would you suggest I go about in accessing public school records for NO in the period around 1910-1915?

bbenn: Thank God:p

AYWalton: how are you doing, down there, Jhonora? hope levees are holding.

jhonora: Doing well, AY!

AYWalton: bbenn will that be your inaugural show?

bbenn: Yes

jhonora: alt, do you mean student records or admin. records?

alt: I'm looking for a relative who was on a HS faculty during that period.

jhonora: Oh really! Who was the person?

AYWalton: you have to make some noise, now bbenn! that is great!!

deannie: alt are we talking about New Orleans

Khathu: Have a great day everyone

AYWalton: what time again is the program and what is the name of the show?

bbenn: :} :} :} :}

jhonora: alt, who was the person?

alt: http://tinyurl.com/3d9c9w5 at the above link jhonora

bbenn: Research at the National Archives and Beyond! jhonora, do you actually have access to the Board of Education records for New Orleans? My mom attended school in the 1930'd, we have her school transcript. Found this record in a draw in her home.

jhonora: The extant collection of the School Board is at the UNO Archives.

bbenn: I requested education records for NO... I was just searching for the address.

alt: so, the UNO archives would be a starting point for me, right jhonora?

jhonora: alt, are you sure he taught high school? There was no public high school in the city in the period you mentioned.

alt: no, I'm not sure about what level he taught jhonor... I 'assumed' HS since he was a mathmetician.

jhonora: That's interesting, the three colleges in town - New Orleans, Straight, Leland - all had preparatory departments (high school course). There was also Xavier Preparatory which opened in 1915.

Selma: Have to run folks..have a great day

jhonora: The first colored high school opened in 1917, was he still here then alt?

alt: not sure jhonora....

jhonora: The next time I am at the Library, I'll check the college catalogs. I would guess he taught at one of the three.

AYWalton: going to run folks. Have a great day!

alt: the short Bio at the above link states his first teaching position was in NO following his graduation from Wilberofrce in 1908 now that could be jhonora .. at one of the colleges. look slike folks are getting read for the Que's LOL

jhonora: alt, where was he in the 1910 census?

alt: I haven't looked jhonora .... will check that out.

jhonora: I definitely will check the catalogs and city directory for that time.

alt: it's on my to-do list jhonora LOL laters jhonora & deannie catch you on the by-and-by LOL

jhonora: Bye deannie!

deannie: have a great day

18 Dec 2002 :: 1 Feb 2009
Copyright © 2002-2008 by AfriGeneas. All rights reserved.
AfriGeneas ~ African Ancestored Genealogy