Try a new Ancestry.com Membership!

Domain Name Registration at GoDaddy.com 120x60

Footnote.com

Note: Please follow the link(s) on the navigation bar below to search additional messages that have been archived to conserve space. If no link is visible, no messages have been archived on this board.

2011-08-31 Yatah gets help

*LunchBunch

Start: 11:50:49
End: 13:09:22
Chatters: 3rdthawkins, alt, daviss, fierybug08, ProfDru, Selma, Seventies Soulchild, yatah

3rdthawkins: hello yatah alt, made exact time, huh

alt: hello 3rdthawkins & yatah... hope you two are doing well today.

3rdthawkins: doing good, think yatah may be away

yatah: hi all

3rdthawkins: wb yatah, how are you?

yatah: i am doing fine

3rdthawkins: that's good

alt: yep, was doing some updating of the database from ancestry & familysearch and the time got away from me.

yatah: got my grandpa 's death cer last week or so

3rdthawkins: yeah, time can pass you buy when you get busy that's great yatah, any good/new information?

alt: wonderful yatah,,, did it reveal anything 'new' for you?

3rdthawkins: hello davissiano

alt: hello daviss, how are ya doing?

daviss: hello 3rd alt and yatah!!

yatah: yea and information about his work before and his business parents on too

3rdthawkins: cool, yeah, some DC's will wil give occupation and military status/service that's great yatah

daviss: anything new on FS alt?

3rdthawkins: have you been able to search further for him with parents name now yatah?

alt: yep, they uploaded more Ohio records to their existing collections in the past month or so daviss

daviss: ok alt, thats great to hear

yatah: name is edward quiller and josephine quiller i mean josephine darby

daviss: I am glad you are getting more information yatah!

3rdthawkins: you had those names before, didn't you yatah? at least Josephine's?

alt: and I'm liking their advanced search more and more daviss

3rdthawkins: I don't know if I still have the info that I helped you with, since I changed computers, I will have to look through my emails, it should be saved in my sent file

yatah: my grandpa work at postal clark and business is steel plant

daviss: They finally signed the contract with Tx and put most of their records back online

yatah: yes rite make sure i get rite name

alt: are you doing a Happy Dance daviss? :))

daviss: I thought I was losing my mind for awhile. I knew that I had seen the records before and poof they were gone lol

alt: that can be frustrating daviss

yatah: he dead in pa but i dont know where he born but he live in south carolina

daviss: well yes and no not yet alt lol I need to find some of my folks

3rdthawkins: ok yatah, you had mother's name, Josephine, not father's name, so now you have father's name, Edward Quiller

daviss: I have found neighbors in Grfimes County Texas Grimes

3rdthawkins: you would need to order his SSA yatah

yatah: yes josephine's mom i have and i dont know who josephine's father yes edward quiller that my grandpa's father

Seventies Soulchild: Good afternoon all

3rdthawkins: hello Seventies

alt: howdy Seventies Soulchild

yatah: i think josephine's father maybe white or another gave to her name maybe

Seventies Soulchild: So what is new in the world of African-American genealogy?

yatah: how cost ssa ?

daviss: yatah look in your old records .. I think you have Josephines parents name

Seventies Soulchild: Alt thank you very much for sending me those documents about Tom Smith.

daviss: hello seventies

Seventies Soulchild: hi daviss :)

alt: yw Seventies Soulchild, hope they help in some small way.

3rdthawkins: $27 with ssn $29 without, you must provide a proof of death if you don't have ssn yatah

yatah: davis, i nput my book somewhere yes grandpa has ss number

3rdthawkins: ok, so order his ssa

daviss: ok you need to find it.. look in closet, dresser drawer and everywhere.

yatah: yea i will

3rdthawkins: JOsephine's parents are Smith Darby and Mary A Darby have it here in my email

daviss: I wish I had keep all that info yatah but I deleted from my computer about two years ago

yatah: which one i have trust 1890 or 1895 ?

Seventies Soulchild: They did, so now I have the will of Baxter Smith, the lawsuit documents, the book where the family members are named, some of the census records and now this. Hopefully once all of this information gets analyzed I'll have a good picture of the family

alt: yatah, a 30.00 investment in a genealogy software package will save you a lot of trouble and you will always have your information a 'mouse click' away.

3rdthawkins: for who yatah?

yatah: josephine bec 130 1930 m said 1895

Seventies Soulchild: alt, I'm begging my cousin to do a book on the Smith family... begging...

yatah: 1910 said 1890

3rdthawkins: she's 20 in 1910 with one child under ten, I would say 1890

Seventies Soulchild: lol

3rdthawkins: hello Selma

daviss: sounds like to me seventies the picture is becoming clearer and clearer

alt: hello Selma, how are ya?

yatah: make sense

Seventies Soulchild: Hi Selma

Selma: Good Wednesday afternoon folks

daviss: Hello Selma!!

Seventies Soulchild: Maybe I'm working on early admits today... something I don't normally do, its slow going...

3rdthawkins: so refresh my memory yatah, Luther Quiller was who?

alt: Seventies Soulchild, if you have the information on your computer you could give her a 'boost' by printing out a narrative report on what you have, that might get her started.

yatah: what age is jospehine has clarence quiller he born 1921 what yrs

Seventies Soulchild: I'm about to go out to Detroit lol

yatah: that josephine and edward's first child luther born about 1910 or 1909

alt: is that where your cousin is located? take your computer and a flash drive with you to leave for her LOL

Seventies Soulchild: She has pictures of many of the Smiths... they were given to her. So lucky. Oh I have a flash drive lol

3rdthawkins: ok, your father was?

alt: or if she has a computer askr her to send you a GEDCOM file.. or vice versa.

Seventies Soulchild: they have RootsMagic also alt and the tree is on ancestry one world. My cousin Philip sent me a copy of the tree. so I filled in where I could.

fierybug08: hello everybody

alt: hello fierybug08.

Seventies Soulchild: hey fierybug08!

Selma: Hi fierybug

3rdthawkins: hello fierybug

daviss: hello there fierybug

Seventies Soulchild: I've decided that the kids and I are going to take a winter vacay to D.C. tee hee hee

fierybug08: *virtual wave* to Seventies Soulchild alt daviss 3rdthawkins Selma yatah

yatah: hi

fierybug08: sounds good to me...i'll come meet ya!

alt: for photos, if she cares to share and is on Facebook have her post them there and you can do a copy & "save as".

Seventies Soulchild: So if anyone wants to do some research over the x-mas New Years break let me know. alt tried that too she's older and intimidated by technology.

3rdthawkins: my grandmother's niece's sister doesn't like departing with photos, she can't even get her to make a copy of the photo, she has to negotiate with her, crazy

alt: okay Seventies Soulchild, some of us 'older' folks are intimidated by the technology.

yatah: 3rd, rem i told you i found more children of edward and josephine after has luther ?

fierybug08: see that's why you demonstrate the coolness about technology

yatah: and died early ?

Seventies Soulchild: She did work with an archivist in Selma... but the lady has since died.

alt: I just have my toes in the water technology-wise LOL

Seventies Soulchild: lol yeah right!

3rdthawkins: not sure yatah

fierybug08: alt...i think it's good that you can appreciate. You know the basics. Email and genealogy software.

Seventies Soulchild: When I was discussing the items I found online with her, she knew right away who the people were alt. Seems like the black family had close connection with the white family. She kind of thinks that we are related to the Smiths.

yatah: ok

3rdthawkins: wanted to ask you about the Joseph Darby in PA pennitentary in 1930....have you discovered if that was him or not yatah?

alt: and it doesn't hurt that I was in IT, or Data Processing, as we used to call it for 30+ years fierybug08

Seventies Soulchild: I'm not convinced though.

fierybug08: lol at least you know how to improvise when the power goes out. how many youngsters can say the same thing lol their idea of recess or play time is FB or watching videos

Seventies Soulchild: exactly alt

yatah: not sure about it you can sent me one i can look up if same yrs he born

fierybug08: hi ProfDru!

3rdthawkins: hello ProfDru, how's it going?

Seventies Soulchild: Hey ProfDru!

ProfDru: Howdy

yatah: if all darby live in pa

Seventies Soulchild: Enough about the Smiths.. lol

3rdthawkins: 1930 Pennsylvania Montgomery Eastern State Penitentiary Series T626 Roll 2084 Page 137 Image 6 Darby Joseph Inmate M Neg 32 ? 21 SC SC SC

daviss: well well well, Hi there Prof Dru, it is good to see you!!! lol

alt: Hello ProfDru. how are ya? And yep I'll be listening to AY @ 2:00 PM LOL

fierybug08: me too alt lol

ProfDru: Won't be here long; just wanted to remind everyone about Angela's webinar.

yatah: he born in south carolina rite

3rdthawkins: yes yatah

Seventies Soulchild: could you post a link?

daviss: all signed up and as they say, ret to go lol

yatah: he go jail

Seventies Soulchild: lol I'm not signed up... but I suppose I could do that sometime in the next hour or so

3rdthawkins: not sure if it is him, yatah, just wanted to know if you or someone in the family knew about that, if it fits

yatah: mine too i not sure if it him or not

Seventies Soulchild: brb

daviss: seventies are you talking about the legacy link'

ProfDru: you can find the link on my blog, www.findyourfolks.blogspot.com

yatah: that why i need look 1920 where josephine and edward been no luck find

3rdthawkins: yeah, that messes it up

yatah: 1920 josephine age 30 's

daviss: How's it going with you Dru?

Selma: I will be there Dru

ProfDru: ok, vicky

yatah: still n firgure where they been or move areound

ProfDru: I'm not sure if I will make it due to a meeting. On the phone with Angela now.

daviss: thats good Dru and glad to see you back here I think it will be around 11 am here

yatah: my grandpa born 1921

ProfDru: gotta run

daviss: later

3rdthawkins: so did you find them in 1930 yatah?

yatah: yes

3rdthawkins: where were they living?

alt: yatah, sounds like your quiller family was part of the migration North to the Steel Mills of PA during the 1920's & 1930's.

yatah: in south carolina st matthews

fierybug08: i would love to see a program about preparing for the 1940s census-- presented at Legacy webinar? any takers? alt daviss?

daviss: alt I talked to Ancestry yesterday about my I dna designation

3rdthawkins: ok, so could still be there in 1920, might have just not gotten enumerated for whatever reason, or there is a so-called "Missing" census

fierybug08: what did they say daviss?

alt: what did they say daviss

3rdthawkins: yeah, would love to hear about that daviss

yatah: or not record maybe

3rdthawkins: maybe not yatah

yatah: when start slave ?

daviss: they sent me a link that the I is indeed a MTDNA haplo

yatah: i just wonder alt , maybe

alt: really!!!! I was under the impression it was only for Y-DNA.. that being the case you learn something new every day.

yatah: there is i have quilla and quiller that i found

3rdthawkins: slavery was abolished and made illegal in 1865 yatah

daviss: The person that I talked to will talk to her super who was absent yesterday to see if they would re-look at my sample

alt: and I learned sumpin new!!!!

daviss: for free of course lol

3rdthawkins: so, what does the new discovery mean??

yatah: ok

fierybug08: sounds good to me

yatah: birth: 1895 —South Carolina residence: 1930 —Saint Matthews, Calhoun, South Carolina census: 1930 —Saint Matthews, Calhoun, South Carolina children: Luther Quiller, Clarence Quiller

alt: two things 3rdthawkins 1. bearnur2 & I was wrong 2. that daviss has Euro female direct line ancestry.

daviss: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Haplogroup_I_(mtDNA

3rdthawkins: oh, wow

daviss: here is the link alt

yatah: 3rd look i found birth: Newberry, S.C. spouse: Josephine Darby child: Christa Belle Quilla

3rdthawkins: oh, wow oops, great yatah

alt: your copy & paste works daviss Yeah!!!!!!

yatah: that died yrs 1929 and she born 1919

daviss: lol I have my grand daughters computer alt

yatah: father ed quilla

daviss: the other one crashed I am working on getting another one

3rdthawkins: ok yatah, so you will need to order your grandfather's SSA

yatah: ok what ssa i look for ?

3rdthawkins: your father's I mean, you grandfather

yatah: ok it will tell more information ?

daviss: alt, it is what it is but need to find out if it is what it is lol re: retest

yatah: anyway look alike last name quilla and quiller

3rdthawkins: his birthplace, date of birth, residence at time he filled out SSA, parents name what year he filled out the SSA

daviss: I also want to get my brother to test at FTDNA

Seventies Soulchild: ok I'm back

3rdthawkins: welcome back

yatah: can you find edgal quilla draft war i cant enter to open ?

3rdthawkins: go to familysearch yatah

alt: shhhh, gotta stop talking bout Seventies Soulchild , she's back LOL LOL

daviss: lol @ alt

Seventies Soulchild: lol alt

yatah: maybe i sure he filled out he become 18

3rdthawkins: lol alt.........................yatah familysearch has wwi and wwII draft cards

yatah: oh i dont know i not see that thanks

3rdthawkins: oops, they only have WWII daft cards yatah, but don't think they would have it for S.C.

Seventies Soulchild: I'm getting ready to dig a little deeper into the Rounds family in slavery. Going to order some more records from LSU.

3rdthawkins: ancestry has WWI

Selma: Gotta run folks, have a great day

yatah: yes i know edward quiller on ww1 drafts card know as edgal quilla

alt: Selma's gotta get in a quick nap before 2:00 PM LOL

yatah: where i can find

daviss: I think she just hopped to it lol

3rdthawkins: WWII cards for S.C. have been destroyed yatah

Seventies Soulchild: lol

alt: oh, oh I'm gonna tell her you're dropping 'hopping' jokes on her daviss LOL

daviss: lol gonna blame it on seventies

Seventies Soulchild: Other than genealogy, I'm getting the youngin's ready for this new school year.... money money MONEY!!! lol say what??? lol

yatah: what about drafts card ww1

daviss: lol lol lol boy seventies you guys haven't started school yet?

Seventies Soulchild: I am thankful that my kids didn't want the $80 backpacks...lol East coast doesn't start until around labor day

daviss: oh ok

alt: if he was born in 1921 he wouldn't be registering for the WW I draft in 1917-1918 yatah

3rdthawkins: go to this site to order ssa yatah http://www.ssa.gov/foia/html/foia_guide.htm scroll all the way down to Make Your Request Online. go to •Social Security Number Application (Form SS-5) of a deceased person. You can use online Form SSA-711 . and click on the SSA-711 link, it will take you to a page where you can fill out the information for your grandfather

yatah: i Name: Edgal Quilla Birth: date - location Residence: Calhoun, South Carolina Other: location that is my gg grandpa

alt: perhaps his father, your great-grandfather may be on the WW I draft registrations yatah

Seventies Soulchild: I have to run. Y'all have a wonderful afternoon.

daviss: please dont

3rdthawkins: I don't have ancestry yatah, not subscribed to it, you will have to go to the library to see it

alt: later Seventies Soulchild

yatah: oh ok

daviss: oh she left lol cat has fierybug08's tongue or would it be fingers

yatah: i have one but lost one suck for me

daviss: yatah are your kids in school now

yatah: yea but juat last baBY and my pre school at school now

daviss: oh ok, thats good that school has started folks I am gonna run now. Need to speed up on some things before Angela's webnar

3rdthawkins: okd aviss

yatah: how cost pay for ancestry ?

3rdthawkins: daviss lol

fierybug08: hey...sorry i left for a minute

alt: later daviss

daviss: that means I have to eat lunch earlt too lol later

3rdthawkins: don't know yatah, they change it every now and again, you will have to check and see best thing is go to the library

yatah: oh ok ok

fierybug08: yeah...go to the library. You can send email to yourself the files of your searches

alt: for my subscription to Ancestry I pay 155.00 per year yatah

yatah: yike

alt: yep, yikes LOL

fierybug08: if i get FTM, how do I add Ancestry linkes to the database? Do I have to be a paid member?

alt: but I like the ability to search 24/7 here in my home.

yatah: wish free lol

alt: I'm not sure how Ancestry works with FTM fierybug08

3rdthawkins: well, Ancestry would have to get it for free yatah, and the places they get it from won't allow it they order the record and have to pay for it, charging you is the business of how they pay for the records

fierybug08: okay. i think i will have to just visit NARA in DC regularly. Better do it before it gets too cold

yatah: once get free right after that no free

3rdthawkins: yes yatah, unless you have different credit card numbers......one thing is go to wal-mart or somewhere that sales money cards, activate it, put some money on them, and use the number to get free access to Ancestry

alt: but you can always get the 14 day free trial memberships to ancestry.. not sure how they check to see if you've used the free trial before.

3rdthawkins: same credit card number alt

fierybug08: oh, i always thought it was tied to the email address?

alt: right 3rdthawkins, I know they ask for a credit card # even on their free trial.

yatah: oh ok

3rdthawkins: I think I got a whole month free because I use one card, and then activated it where wal-mart sent me a permanent card (I was using the temporary one), and so I got an extra two weeks for the new number they didn't charge me, I thought they would, but I think they gave me free trial for both cards

yatah: i need find dead cer of josephine darby she died around 1949 i keep try look

3rdthawkins: well you all, gonna go, yatah, order that SSA for your grandfather, and so some research for his sibings, you may have to order records for them also, somebody record can/will give info that someone else's record doesn't so some-I mean Do Some research for her grandpa's siblings her-your

alt: later y'all

fierybug08: okay everybody. I got to run. nice chatting. See ya later.

yatah: ok i work on grandpa's older brother luther after that

18 Dec 2002 :: 1 Feb 2009
Copyright © 2002-2008 by AfriGeneas. All rights reserved.
AfriGeneas ~ African Ancestored Genealogy