Try a new Ancestry.com Membership!

Domain Name Registration at GoDaddy.com 120x60

Footnote.com

Note: Please follow the link(s) on the navigation bar below to search additional messages that have been archived to conserve space. If no link is visible, no messages have been archived on this board.

2011-08-29 Adams• StageNames• Memories

*LunchBunch

Start: 12:04:57
End: 13:50:11
Chatters: 3rdthawkins, alt, AYWalton, bearnut2, daviss, fierybug08, freeaainnc, Seventies Soulchild, vkn

3rdthawkins: did you find anymore on your Earnest, because I did find a E.G./L.G Grundy living in Cass county in 1920, but you left before i could show you on Friday

fierybug08: Irene interrupted my plans...strong storms all day Saturday and no power on Sunday. I see...I just read the last message on last week. E.G. Grundy was found as a prisoner in 1920 Census (Cass County)

3rdthawkins: yeah, same here, I wanted to keep the actual website up that i found him on, but with the weather, and living my computer on, I had to restart my cpu no fierybug08, that was in 1930, but there was another one, keep reading down the log, you'll see what i wrote, let me see if I can repost here you go fiery "I see a 3 yr old L G Grundy in 1920 Cass Co, but can't see the record, it could be E G, not sure.........hello alt

alt: Hello 3rdthawkins & fierybug08... hope you two are doing weel today.

3rdthawkins: fierybug08, were you researching Ragland, that L.G. in 1920 has a Ragland living in the home, let me see if I can pull up the link on familysearch yes alt, doing ok, we didn't get any flooding, everything is cool for us and with us, but i am a little concerned about my dad, I think his power may still be out, all I get is the answering machine, can't get through to him, and have no other way to

alt: I hope everything is well with him 3rdthawkins.I'm sure he'll get in touch with you when he is able.

3rdthawkins: yeah, hope so fierybug08, here is the link to L.G. Grundy in Cass County http://tinyurl.com/3l8xe7u

fierybug08: okay i'm back

3rdthawkins: hello daviss

vkn: I be good and glad to have avoided the alternative alt

alt: I hear ya vkn

fierybug08: hi daviss nice article that you added

daviss: hello 3rs, alt fierybug and vkn!

vkn: and how be alt?

daviss: 3rd

alt: Hi daviss, what's going on?

3rdthawkins: fierybug08, did you check out that link I just sent?

vkn: Greetings daviss

fierybug08: yes....i'm looking 3rd.

3rdthawkins: ok

fierybug08: i need to see if I can look at the actual record through HeritageQuest

vkn: Glad safety prevails for all

alt: vkn, been reading the "cost of genealogy" thread" scared to respond, I might be a little rough on the fella LOL.

3rdthawkins: yeah, you do, I saw it myself, but I still can't make out if it's E.G. or L.G., it looks more like L.G., but I see some death records for L.G.'s children, I'm thinking it may be someone else fierybug08

daviss: not too much going on except I was the first one in my polling place to vote this morn.

vkn: go head and kick butt alt lol lol lol

daviss: alt, I wish you would and I 2nd and 3rd vkn lol

fierybug08: alt, i saw that and I was like hmmmm.

alt: Okay, but you won't 'kick me off' for being nasty?

3rdthawkins: fierybug08 here's an Earnest living in Okmulgee, OKlahoma, not too many blacks with this namehttp://tinyurl.com/3r5qzu6

daviss: I will hold her hand alt lol'

alt: okay daviss hehehehehehe

fierybug08: hey 3rd...this might be something. i will check this out

daviss: is that the right age fierybug

3rdthawkins: alt vkn and daviss, the thing about it, I got a lot of information going back to late 1800s free, there are ways to get some things free, but it alwys depend on the state and also the researchers/genealogists/volunteers in those states, a lot of sites putting up birth,marriage,death information and you can get it for free if you just google, and google the right thing.......it was only on my dad's mother's side I had to order anything to find out more about her...you will have to pay and everything is not online, but there are ways to get stuff for free, so when you order records, it will the ONLY way *be)

vkn: Obviously the poster came here to pick a fight. Cynthia responded with her usual generosity and Sonia tried in so many ways to be gentle with her 2 x 4 the first "looking for Llyods..." was posted in the wrong board but we are and open door and that is a good thing sooo kick away alt

3rdthawkins: you will have to know your resources and use 'em, use 'em wisely, and use 'em good

daviss: and you say that to say what 3rd lol

3rdthawkins: this guy doesn't know what he's doing or talking about

daviss: or is that in response to the guy

alt: right 3rdthawkins, we're all looking to save money, but I don't think that is the agenda of the poster.... Where we would be if no one ever made 'books' from compiled public records? Genealogy societies would be out of 'fund raising' capabilities.

3rdthawkins: yes daviss but I did read his post, and I disagree with him, I agree with vkn, he came to pick a fight

daviss: I dont think that was this guys intent

vkn: There is always an initial investment

alt: and he has to consider when the lady's work was done... At one time pre-internet and personal websites, where else would you get your information, but from books

3rdthawkins: he's being unfair, I can slightly agree with him, but that's only because I don't have the "$50" (as he put) to spend to get the information, if I had it, you don't hear a complaint from me.....hmm.

alt: he just told me I wasted money buying Barnetta's work on NC cohabitation records because after I found my ancestors the 3 volume set is useless.

3rdthawkins: if it rains today and I have plans for today, of course I'm gonna complain and ask why couldn't it rain tomorrow or yesterday, but if I don't have plans, I don't have any complaints

fierybug08: I also think that it would be helpful for him to start doing some of the work himself so that he gets the benefit of what comes along with genealogy work. He had no clue about indexing, which is a very powerful tool alt...i will gladly take those volumes off your hands lol

vkn: lol lol lol get boxing gloves fiery lol

alt: not giving them or any of my 'worthless purchases' away anytime soon fierybug08 LOL LOL

fierybug08: well i couldn't help, but try. lol

alt: and I give you credit for that fierybug08

3rdthawkins: this is like a football player complains about tackling or getting tackling because he doens't want to get dirty 8) :?

vkn: and poor me I pay an extra $50.00 a month rent to store my 'useless' purchases lol

fierybug08: 3rd, the grundy that you mentioned makes me curious. I'm not sure he is the age for my immediate family, but we may be related

alt: LOL @ vkn

3rdthawkins: *tackled*

alt: my son in Union NJ was 'flooded out' by the rain before Irene hit that area..

fierybug08: 3rd, its about a 4hr trip via car from Okmulgee, Oklahoma to Cass County, TX. It is worthy of further investigation on my part. Thanks for the lookup

vkn: What state for grundy and year fiery Oh dear alt

3rdthawkins: fierybug08, you will definitely need to talk to family members, because there are hardly any Negro/black Earnest Grundy's coming up, and lots of white's by that name.....before you make that trip, try and talk to family

alt: well, not completely flooded out, but some flood damage.

fierybug08: oh...yes I will definitely do that.

vkn: Hope he has flood insurance alt

3rdthawkins: sorry to hear that alt, I am concerned about family on Long Island and in Massachusetts

fierybug08: VKN, the grundys are in Cass County, TX. I will have to speak to someone on my father's side to give me additional information.

vkn: hmmm no word from selma dru or ayw

3rdthawkins: bingo!!!

fierybug08: hi AY

3rdthawkins: lol hello AY

daviss: hello AYWalton

AYWalton: Good afternoon, all.

vkn: ahhhhh speak of the ayw lol heyyyyy Angela

daviss: power may still be out for them vkn

AYWalton: howdy alt, daviss, fierybug08, greetings, VKN! Hope you are all well.

alt: Hello AYWalton

vkn: Glad you are ok ayw

3rdthawkins: yes, my father I think is still experiencing power outage, can't get through to his phone he lives in NE D.C. and that is the area that has been affected

AYWalton: thank you so much vkn. Glad to be out of danger, nd.ow that the storm has passed

vkn: http://afrigeneantalking.ning.com/group/familytrees/page/quarles A real neat record

AYWalton: is that a Savings Bank record, vkn?

vkn: I am helping a relative do the history of the first Black baptist church in Atlanta

AYWalton: oh that sounds wonderful!

fierybug08: wow, that's awesome VKN!

vkn: Yes ayw

3rdthawkins: yeah, that has just about every field filled out, I like records like that.....just hope it is all true......but have no question about this record, this is really neat

vkn: Church founded before end of Civil War

alt: 3rdthawkins & others.. got something to share with you on father-son (family) relationships, an Ode written for me by my son 20 years ago. http://tinyurl.com/3vddhjj

AYWalton: Wow Art that is a treasure! do you have it framed?

3rdthawkins: that's nice alt, wish I could have that experience and those feelings your son did

alt: Yes AYWalton . it is framed

3rdthawkins: and does

AYWalton: what a blessing and what a son. looks like he has quite a father as well.

daviss: thats great alt.. I think I had read that before

vkn: I recall your posting that to writers forum alt . Very nice

3rdthawkins: more importantly, what a father to have that kind of impact on his son

alt: Thanks 3rdthawkins, so just keep working with your father, it takes time.

3rdthawkins: ok alt, thx hello Seventies

fierybug08: hi seventies

AYWalton: Hey there SoulChile!

vkn: howdy seventies

daviss: Hello seventies

Seventies Soulchild: good afternoon, 3rd, alt, AYWalton, daviss, fierybug08, and vkn

daviss: glad to see ya seventies

AYWalton: hope you are dry in NY, SoulChile.

Seventies Soulchild: has anyone been on any webinars lately?

alt: Hello Seventies Soulchild, I sent you photocopies from the Woodson books... the pages referencing Tom Smith in the 1830 census.

AYWalton: not lately, but I hope you will all be on one this coming Wednesday. :) (yes some shameless self promotion!) :)

Seventies Soulchild: The Hudson is swelling, big time... the major hwys and some smaller roads are still closed. Thank you alt. I'll check my e-mail. I've had a pretty hectic day so far.

AYWalton: LegacyFamilyTree.com a free one will take place on Wednesday

alt: you gotta do it AYWalton ... work your brand!!!!!

AYWalton: lol

fierybug08: already on my agenda AYWalton

Seventies Soulchild: I saw that on the forums. Roots magic is again having some more free webinars I believe today....

3rdthawkins: you don;t see too many good father son relationships often, I sure don't, so it is good to see it....Cam Newton, who played for Auburn and just got drafted by the Carolina Panthers, is the first AA athlete I seen since Jordan who has such a great relationship with his dad.......You don't see too many young African American men (his age) be able to say, and on national tv nonetheless, that they love their father, that is great for him and his dad. So much anger in a lot of young men without fathers, this one young man is truly blessed

Seventies Soulchild: Oh speaking of... Beyonce Knowles-Carter is pregnant. That is one young couple that I truly admire. They are doing everything right on time.

alt: I agree, that's a great statement 3rdthawkins re: Cam Newton

fierybug08: sometimes I think it takes the children growing up and making something of themselves despite the relationship [lack of] from their parents. i know that i am a living testament of having parents who had difficulties raising me, but looking back now they did the best they could with what they had.

3rdthawkins: yeah, I heard Seventies, here comes Shawn Carter Jr. or Shawna Carter

Seventies Soulchild: I hope the baby looks like Beyonce though! lol

3rdthawkins: lol

daviss: several songs honoring fathers.. I love Color Him Father, Dance With My Father

fierybug08: ditto seventies

3rdthawkins: hello free, FREE!!!

freeaainnc: hi all! :)

daviss: hello free

AYWalton: you just answered a question I have had for a while---what is Jay Z's last name? Glad to know that it is not Z. The child deserves to a have a real surname. lol

alt: Getting away from the Male side of things... Our Adams Family Reunion this coming weekend is emphasizing the role played by the female descendants in our Adams Family.

freeaainnc: lol ay! what is his last name?

Seventies Soulchild: lol AYWalton

AYWalton: daviss that song by Luther always makes me teary. So loving and tender.

alt: hello freeaainnc

AYWalton: from SoulChile's post I guess it is Carter.

Seventies Soulchild: Yes his real name is Sean Carter.

daviss: me too AYWalton

freeaainnc: oh! ok

Seventies Soulchild: wait Shawn Carter

AYWalton: so what is Puff Daddy Diddy's name?

3rdthawkins: Sean Combs

freeaainnc: sean combs

Seventies Soulchild: Sean Combs.

3rdthawkins: Puff Daddy Diddy, lol

freeaainnc: it's either combs or combes, can't remember

AYWalton: hmm......interesting, two Sean/Shawns with unusual professional names. oh well. howdy bearnut2

3rdthawkins: Big Poppa (a.k.a.m Notorious B.I.G. a.k.a Biggie Smalls) Christopher Wallace

bearnut2: Hi all!

freeaainnc: hi bearnut

3rdthawkins: hello bearnut2

alt: hello bearnut2

daviss: snoop dog Calvin Broadus

Seventies Soulchild: Most rappers create an alter ego/stage name... this is common for a lot of musical performers, IMO Li'l Richard, Li'L Anthony, Li'l wayne... lol

AYWalton: so he has two names

daviss: hello bearnut2

bearnut2: Ahh...discussing rappers I see lol

freeaainnc: Ice Cube, Ice T. dd

alt: although not a rapper as such ... John Legend is John Stephens.

freeaainnc: oops, no dd

bearnut2: Hi freeaainnc 3rdthawkins alt Seventies Soulchild AYWalton daviss

AYWalton: Bit Poppa, Notorious---kind of self inflation in a world where bravado is the norm, I guess.

freeaainnc: right, not just rappers

AYWalton: I better run, folks have to do a test run for Webinar. have a good day.

Seventies Soulchild: Have a good day

daviss: Johnny Mathis = John Mathews

Seventies Soulchild: alt I agree.

freeaainnc: some use their real first names, or a nickname of their really name like John Legend, etc.

Seventies Soulchild: Ok speaking of Johnny Mathis/Mathews... what exactly is he???? He is black right?

daviss: yes he is and a Texan lol

3rdthawkins: yes, a lot of stage names among musical performers, even where the last name is different, given or surname has slight spelling and or pronunciation

alt: yep, a brother from San Francisco Seventies Soulchild.

Seventies Soulchild: I know he's an east texan daviss..lol He was on Denise Williams' Unsung episode.

freeaainnc: some, like Warren G have their real name (Warren Griffin)

3rdthawkins: Diana Ross was Diane Ross, but changed by Berry Gordy.....same thing for Tammi Terrell, I think it was her first or last name changed, I forget

bearnut2: Thats cool about your reunion alt. How do you plan to incorporate the theme?

alt: at least he was a track star "high jumper" @ USF.

Seventies Soulchild: Ok Tomasina was tammi Terrell's real first name and I think her surname was Montgomery

freeaainnc: or Ritchie Valens from Ricardo Valenzuela

3rdthawkins: Montgomery, right Seventies, thx, I forgot about the first name, wow

Seventies Soulchild: So these changes in names, to tie it in with genealogy, were these done to make the artists sound more anglo?? Your thoughts??

3rdthawkins: remembering reading Berry Gordy's book, I remember saying "I guess you would change your name wiht a name like that" that was way before i had a relative named Thomasena

vkn: ~~~~~ running

freeaainnc: it was for Ritchie Valens. For those like Tammi Terrell, no idea

alt: a memeber of the Reunion Committee has compiled a book on some of the 'more successful' Adams woman in the Adams family lines bearnut2

Seventies Soulchild: I normally view these types of name changes with European or hispanic immigrants.

daviss: not anglo but to sell more I think seventies

3rdthawkins: could be Seventies, I think for some it was to be more appealing

freeaainnc: yeah, I agree daviss

Seventies Soulchild: Valens... definitely doesn't sound as hispanic

freeaainnc: well, in the movie SS, the change was about crossover type of thing

3rdthawkins: Marvin Gaye and Thomasena Montgomery, how about that

bearnut2: Seventies Soulchild in the case of the more "hispanic" sounding names it appears so. I know generally ethnic sounding names were changed to more anglo names, especially for people in the spotlight--actors, actresses, singers, etc.

3rdthawkins: oh yes, remember, Marvin's surname was Gay, he added the "e" at the end like Sam Cooke did, his was just Cook

freeaainnc: don't know how true that was in real life, but the movie was made with the help of his family, so there is probably some truth to it

Seventies Soulchild: Or think about some of the white eastern Europeans with very ethnic names like polish and czech... changed their names to reflect West European, English (Anglo) in particular.

daviss: martin sheen = Estevez

Seventies Soulchild: Doris Day is an example from that side of the ethnic fence..

3rdthawkins: I know their hairstyles were to reflect the Caucasians that was in th 50s

bearnut2: thats cool alt--its good that there are enough for a book! lol

alt: Doris Kapplehoff I think from Cincinnati, OH.

Seventies Soulchild: Right daviss. All the other brothers, except for one, have taken the Sheen name.

freeaainnc: I forgot about that one daviss

daviss: right

Seventies Soulchild: Yep... very eastern European ethnic...

3rdthawkins: so the father's name was Estevez daviss? I ALWAYS wondered about that one son having a different surname

daviss: raquel welch I forget her real name

Seventies Soulchild: Yes and she was very Mexican. Cher another one..

3rdthawkins: so what about those who actually pass for white? I'm sure some name changes

freeaainnc: I know one of my ancestors changed their name from Hopf to Hubb around the turn of the 20th century

daviss: Vicky Carr the singer

alt: well, not really a book bearnut2, but a 8-9 page flyer with biographical information and family group sheets.

3rdthawkins: lots of immigrants into the U.S. changed their name or spelling/pronoun. of it...Johanna to John, etc.

bearnut2: Jo Raquel Tejada= Raquel Welch

freeaainnc: yep

Seventies Soulchild: freeaainnc, do you know why they did that?

bearnut2: cool alt!

daviss: ok thx bearnut2

freeaainnc: Yes, because German immigrants in the area where they lived were being discriminated against

Seventies Soulchild: lol bearnut2 growing up I thought she was an heiress to the Welch's grape empire... lol

freeaainnc: lol SS

bearnut2: lol Seventies Soulchild lol

Seventies Soulchild: Right and I think that's what brought these changes, freeaainnc.

freeaainnc: yeah, I agree

3rdthawkins: one current football player, recently played for the Colts....he "changed" his first name from Demon to Bob when he was a kid because people can't messing his name up (I can see how), so his name joked "So what you want me to call you, Bob?" and he stuck with that name

Seventies Soulchild: So they could change their names and become 'white' vs ethnic european.

3rdthawkins: can't=kept

bearnut2: And sometimes the change just sounde more "manly" like Marion Robert Morrison better known as John Wayne

3rdthawkins: his mother suggested call him Bob, and he took it

freeaainnc: I have a lot of German ancestors back into the early 1700s in the US and most of them changed their given names once they immigrated here

3rdthawkins: calling

alt: and now the 'performers' stick with their birth names... my, how times have changed.

Seventies Soulchild: Yes, Marion.... he did a lot more than just change his name to fit in...

freeaainnc: wow, had no clue about John Wayne

Seventies Soulchild: I don't know. I think some still do change their names... maybe not as much as in the past.

3rdthawkins: this brings us back to Khathu's ancestor, Roach,....aka Stanley Mathtews

bearnut2: I wondered how this topic came about lol thanks 3rd

freeaainnc: I would probably change my name if it were Roach lol would not want to be associated with cockroaches me too bearnut! lol

bearnut2: so was Roach his given name? or just a nickname

daviss: mark anthony = mario munez

3rdthawkins: my paternal grandmother's sister changed her name from Doris to Judith

Seventies Soulchild: At one time Roach was the given name.

3rdthawkins: hard to say bearnut, could be given, don't know could have been a surname

freeaainnc: oh, that is a crazy first name, I thought it was a surname lol

3rdthawkins: father's mother or mother's surname

daviss: I am guessing that most singers did not change name in the courts

Seventies Soulchild: Alright, I have a ton of work to do as I'm here by myself holding down the fort. Everyone have a great afternoon.

3rdthawkins: oh, you're right daviss, a lot of it has to do with contracts

bearnut2: My great grandfather was known as "Moose" (no idea why) lol

freeaainnc: probably no daviss because they are stage names lol bearnut

alt: was he a 'big' fella bearnut2?

daviss: He may have had a large frame

3rdthawkins: some record companies hold the right to use the performer's name....remember, Jackson 5 could not perform as Jackson 5 after leaving Motown....that is the problem with a lot of solo artists......Eddie Kendricks of the Temptations added the "s" at the end of his name when singing with the group, when he left Motown, he just went back to Kendrick, the original spelling of his name

freeaainnc: maybe he hunted moose, er, meese, er mooses. what the heck is the plural of moose?? lol

bearnut2: maybe thats it--you know how sometimes they call you the opposite of what you are?--cuz he was definitely NOT a big fella! he was quite short and had one leg shorter than the other

daviss: I grew up with several guys whose nicknames were moose

freeaainnc: that is interesting 3rd, didn't know that could be bearnut, like Curly from the 3 stooges lol

bearnut2: lol freeaainnc

3rdthawkins: that's why I got them confused lol

freeaainnc: me too! lol

bearnut2: My family used nicknames a lot

3rdthawkins: you all ever notice that, you see two people, and you think how by the people's appearances (or actions), the names should be reversed

freeaainnc: lol yep actually, where I work, there are 2 women named Cheryl and Sherry and Cheryl "looks" like a Sherry to me and vice versa lol

bearnut2: yeah 3rd and sometimes folks just "look" like they should have a particular name...apparently I "look" like a Pam or Kim because I have been called both by many different people

alt: well, my turn to 'skedaddle' later y'all

bearnut2: bye alt

daviss: later alt

bearnut2: catch ya later

3rdthawkins: ok alt

freeaainnc: oh boy, I hope that is not the case with me because people always call me Erwin instead of Erin lol

bearnut2: lol free

freeaainnc: or "Mr." instead of "Mrs."!

3rdthawkins: not going there

bearnut2: I get the Mr all the time on the phone--I have a pretty deep voice

daviss: over the phone free'

freeaainnc: I blame my first pediatrician

daviss: you may have a deep voice me too and also my sister bearnut2

3rdthawkins: ok, gonna go too, you ladies have a good day :)

freeaainnc: no davis, actuall those Mr. Bradfords I'm not worried about because they have not seen me and just assume I'm a man, but my name is Erin - which is a female name

bearnut2: you too 3rd!

daviss: bye 3rd

bearnut2: free I have a theory

freeaainnc: my 1st dr., when mom brought me in, he thought the chart said Eric and mom said when he took off my diaper, he was shocked and did a double take at my chart and said "Ooohhh! EriN" hehe

daviss: lol

freeaainnc: what is the theory

bearnut2: I remember when I was a kid there was a little boy in the neighborhood named "Erin" and my best friend and I always wondered WHY on earth would a parent name their son "Erin"???...

freeaainnc: lol

bearnut2: Turns out his name was actually Aaron!

freeaainnc: I have been known an Eron, but boys are generally Aaron

daviss: I had a friend named Doris and the Gen in our Elks club was Beverly

freeaainnc: Only once in my life have a met a male named Erin

bearnut2: Most folks say it so it sounds the same

freeaainnc: true bearnut

bearnut2: My 3rd gr grandfather's name was Beverly I was shocked to find out that Marion, Beverly and Leslie are all considered to me male names! me=be

freeaainnc: the 2nd time I was mistaken for a boy was by an elderly woman at our church where I grew up. it was about 6 months after my first brain surgery so I had really short hair and her eye sight was failing and she made a comment about me and my brother being "handsome boys" lol

daviss: I have an uncle Leslie

freeaainnc: yeah, originally they were

daviss: oh and a uncle Charles whose middle name is Mation

freeaainnc: davis, does he go by Les?

bearnut2: I was a "boy" for the first 2 years of my life--cuz I had no hair! lol

daviss: no he goes by Leslie

freeaainnc: lol bearnut!

daviss: lol @bearnut2

freeaainnc: wow, I'm surprised in this day and age he would go by Leslie

bearnut2: My mom still laughs that my hair grew as long as it did because everyone told her what a cute little "boy" she had lol

freeaainnc: b/c that is generally a female name now

daviss: and while we are talking Leslie one of my dear friend whom I just saw on Sunday is named Leslie He goes by that

freeaainnc: lol bearnut

bearnut2: so she constantly kept me in pink dresses and they still would say it!!! lol

freeaainnc: lol bearnut! you wore pink dresses and they STILL thought you were a boy?? were they blind? lol

daviss: guess it is no different than Francis and Frances

bearnut2: apparently!

freeaainnc: that is true daviss

bearnut2: I told her she scarred me because after the age of 5 I wouldn't DARE be caught DEAD in a dress!

freeaainnc: bearnut maybe they thought your parents were trying to create gender confusion or something lol lol!!!

daviss: lol @bearnut2

bearnut2: lol free--it made me a tomboy!

daviss: I was a tomboy

freeaainnc: I was too, so I could understand how that woman from church would mistake me as a boy with her failing eyesight b/c I refused to wear dresses or skirts, even now I don't wear them

daviss: my sister was girly girly

bearnut2: yep! Hated dresses! Hated anything PINK!

freeaainnc: me too!

bearnut2: I wore pants and shirts--NOT blouses!

freeaainnc: or anything floral/girly looking lol same here

bearnut2: and high top black chucks or desert boots!

freeaainnc: and I wore men's pants as a teenager

daviss: what are chucks is that those tennis

freeaainnc: I never wore chuck, but always like high top basketball shoes or timbs chuck taylor sneakers

daviss: oh ok

bearnut2: My aunt decided to make me a pink cake with pink icing for my 7th birthday and I refused to eat a bite of it! It was enough for me to blow out the candles! lol

freeaainnc: they were like a canvas shoe with a rubber bottom. I think they are making a come back

bearnut2: chucks=converse high tops

daviss: now I remember

freeaainnc: LOL bearnut about the cake! would would have eaten it anyway because cake is cake lol and I LOVE cake!

daviss: they prolly weren't invented when I was coming up lol lol

bearnut2: lol I was militantly anti pink! and I LOVE cake too! lol I ate crab instead!

freeaainnc: lol but that's pink-ish! lol

bearnut2: really! my uncle brought crab home and I tasted it and fell in love! So I ate crab and they ate cake! lol

bearnut2: yeah but its HARD pink! lol

freeaainnc: I never liked crab lol !

bearnut2: not soft frilly pink ;O ;)

freeaainnc: I can't stop laughing about hard pink lol

bearnut2: daviss where are you? lol free

daviss: I am in Phx bearnut2

bearnut2: lol no I meant in the conversation! lol

daviss: lol

freeaainnc: when I was really little, I wasn't a tom boy, and I had wall paper from when we first moved in when I was 4 that had some pink bunnies and stuff

daviss: I am reading with interest,

freeaainnc: I wanted to get rid of it when I was older, so I started hanging posters in my room

daviss: I ditto everything you said

bearnut2: lol I had the most boyish room!

freeaainnc: and then in 7th grade became a die-hard fan of New Kids on the Block and plastered my entire room - even the ceiling - with posters

daviss: I am or was the champion marble shooter at school

freeaainnc: cool daviss :)

bearnut2: my mom let me pick out my bed--it was white with blue and green stripes I even had star trek sheets!

daviss: trekie huh

bearnut2: cool daviss!

freeaainnc: I could run faster than the boys when I was young, like 4th grade and I was SOOOO proud of that!

bearnut2: yep! My favorite aunt was a trekkie and anything she liked, I liked!

freeaainnc: except pink stuff, right? :)

bearnut2: ooh me too free! I won a 6th grade race against all the boys in the class! right free! lol

freeaainnc: and I played basketball up through 7th grade (had brain surgery the next year and couldn't walk for 6 mons).

bearnut2: Unfortunately, the race took place right after lunch and I "paid" for it soon after! lol

freeaainnc: I wanted to be the first woman in the NBA (not the WNBA, but the NBA) and I refused to play with a woman's bball although in the games, I didn't have a choice lol

bearnut2: I never played basketball--too short! I was a bowler and softball player

daviss: ahhh free that is a long time.. You had to relearn to walk big time now I was a softball player, played semi pro

bearnut2: wow daviss! thats cool! I was never THAT good!

daviss: I loved to play

freeaainnc: and I remember once playing in 7th grade in gym class 3 on 3 with me and 5 boys and I was a tight guard and this one kid I was guarding could not get past me or pass the ball. He just stopped, and really angry said "You think you're hot stuff, don't you?!?" and I stole the ball and said "Yep!" wow, that's cool daviss!

bearnut2: lol free love it!

freeaainnc: I actually refused to play softball b/c in my hometown only girls played softball and boys played baseball lol and I soooo wanted to play baseball. I also wanted to wrestle, but my school did not have a wrestling team

daviss: I wrote a piece on one of my friends who is a hall of famer in az let me get the link

freeaainnc: daviss I should say that I could walk after about 2 months, but had to have support, so it took me 6 months to learn to walk on my own

bearnut2: I grew up at the ball fields. My mom played a lot when I was a kid--I was the team babysitter! From the age of 8 I would look after all the little ones while their moms played. cool daviss--i'd love to read it!

freeaainnc: that's cool! my brother was a great baseball player, but quit after a while. He had this one coach that made me so mad though yelling at kids they hit like a girl!

daviss: http://lingeringthoughtslovingtimes.blogspot.com/

bearnut2: ugh! I hated when folks said that! thanks daviss!

daviss: see if that link works

bearnut2: It does--I'm going to read it when I get off here.

freeaainnc: my brother was a pitcher and would practice by pitching to me and I would hit it so far we couldn't find it so dad, being a carpenter, did this thing with a string through the ball so I wouldn't lose it lol but when I heard his coach say that I confronted him about that and he had me show how I hit and I hit it out of the park. I never heard him yell that again lol

bearnut2: Though I do find myself saying that to my co-workers when they try to throw something to me. lol

daviss: you may have to scroll down.

bearnut2: lol you showed HIM free!

daviss: but you can keep the link anyway and read the other stuff when time permits bearnut2

bearnut2: will do daviss! Cool site!

daviss: thank ya lol

freeaainnc: and the only time I've ever broken a bone was in high school gym class and hit a home run. slipped on wet grass, but at least I got the point - that is what matters lol

bearnut2: lol free--I've never (knock on wood) broken a bone

freeaainnc: that's good. I can't believe our gym teacher made us play softball on wet grass!. Should have sued the school or something lol dr. said I had "floppy foot" b/c I broke, dislocated, and tore all the tendons and ligaments except one - lol he said it was just "hanging by a string" lol

daviss: lol free can't say that I have not played in wet grass

freeaainnc: lol daviss

bearnut2: OUCH! daviss--is that picture of Texas leafshakers your family?

freeaainnc: the funny thing is mom worked across the street, but it took her 30 minutes to pick me up and take me to the hospital! lol

bearnut2: you poor thing!

daviss: hmm will gotta run you two. I enjoyed you and until next time

freeaainnc: she thought it was just twisted and didn't realize I had really hurt it so she took her sweet time coming lol she felt bad once she realized I really was hurt ok Daviss, talk to you later

bearnut2: ok daviss--take care!

daviss: Have a great rest of the day

freeaainnc: this was a fun convo :)

bearnut2: it was! lol guess I'd better go too

freeaainnc: I like reminiscing like that lol

bearnut2: me too free! I need to start writing stuff down

freeaainnc: yeah, lunch was over for me 50 minutes ago! lol I was just thinking that!

bearnut2: lol you take care and have a good rest of the day!

freeaainnc: talk to you later. bye! and you too

18 Dec 2002 :: 1 Feb 2009
Copyright © 2002-2008 by AfriGeneas. All rights reserved.
AfriGeneas ~ African Ancestored Genealogy