Try a new Ancestry.com Membership!

Domain Name Registration at GoDaddy.com 120x60

Footnote.com

Note: Please follow the link(s) on the navigation bar below to search additional messages that have been archived to conserve space. If no link is visible, no messages have been archived on this board.

2011-08-25 Ory Okolloh • AL project

*LunchBunch

Start: 11:54:20
End: 13:29:19
Chatters: 3rdthawkins, alt, AYWalton, bearnut2, daviss, Debbie, fierybug08, freeaainnc, Selma, Seventies Soulchild, STG, vkn, voix

vkn: Today is Thursday WELCOME to LunchBunch Some days ago a question was raised about TED. What is TED you say? Well TED is about ideas; Thinking out of the box, beyond the box; Ted is ideas for now and tomorrow' Today let's introduce one of those thinkers

alt: hello AYWalton, how are ya doing today?

AYWalton: Greetings, vkn!!!!!!

alt: Hi vkn, what's going on?

AYWalton: hope you are well, today.

vkn: Howdy was trying to prime the discussion

alt: doing well thanks AYWalton okay vkn... whatcha want to talk about? got one for ya.... I see MH has entered the world of USCT & the Myth of Black Confederate Soldiers with an article he wrote for the Examiner.

AYWalton: a popular topic that won't die it seems.

alt: and he is trying to 'jump on the bandwagon"

AYWalton: Many researchers have dealt with the thousands of soldiers myth. I think Bennie has been dealing with it for years.

daviss: The bandwagon is small with us'ns

alt: I guess so daviss

daviss: did he use his own theory hello voix

AYWalton: Hello there, voix.

voix: Having probs trying to copy and paste grrrrrrr so trying to use my voix voice lol

daviss: grrrr is right Hey Selma!

alt: http://tinyurl.com/3mm4fyw

Selma: Good Thursday afternoon folks

voix: Howdy alt Angela Selma and Daviss

Selma: Hello voix

AYWalton: this your first time here voix? Greetings, Ms. Selma!!!!!

voix: I wish AYW lol lol lol

alt: just did a copy & paste voix , had to do a check box with an "Addon Chat" option

daviss: Selma did they have another after shock today?

voix: hmmmm I am not given that option alt

Selma: If they did I didn't feel it..think there was a 4.5 aftershock at the epicenter

alt: I hit CTL & V, then the option appeared, that's when I did the check box thing

Selma: busy getting ready for the Hurricaine.. LOL

AYWalton: Thankfully the aftershocks are not strong. yes, now it's hurricane time. and here in Maryland ---that means thing----everybody will be storming the supermarket for batteries, bread and toilet paper.

Selma: Afternoon fiery

alt: I think vkn was voix LOL LOL

fierybug08: hello everybody...*virtual wave* to Selma alt daviss AYWalton

AYWalton: During blizzard season it is only bread and toilet paper, though. lol

Selma: I stopped by Costco..couldn't go in cause couldn't find a scotter,but at least 10 folks walked out with generators

fierybug08: hi 3rd

alt: hello fierybug08 , waving back atcha

3rdthawkins: Hello everybody

AYWalton: waving back fierybug08 ~~

Selma: Afternoon seventies

fierybug08: hi seventies

AYWalton: and there's SoulChile---all the usual suspects are pouring in. lol

daviss: hello 3rd and seventies

alt: Hello Selma & 3rdthawkins & Seventies & wb vkn

Seventies Soulchild: hello all, 3rd, alt, AYWalton, daviss, fierybug08, Selma and vkn did I miss anyone??

AYWalton: Alt how is Bennie doing these days?

daviss: I had no idea they had so many "crank" items for emergencies Selma, especially the flashlight

vkn: Ory Okolloh tells the story of her life and her family -- and how she came to do her heroic work reporting on the doings of Kenya's parliament.

Seventies Soulchild: I posted a query in the state research forum that I'd like to pose to you all. Anyone heard of the Alabama Project? Gary Mills was one of the heads of the project.

alt: haven't talked with Bennie in about a week or so AYWalton. last I heard was that he was slowing donw on his postings.

vkn: AYW that is the latest TED talk I am listening

Selma: Yes, seventies on Gary Mills,isn't that Elizabeth Mills husband,he is deceased.

3rdthawkins: what is, who is TED??

vkn: This week a whole series on Africa

AYWalton: not sure, VKN, what is a TED?

Seventies Soulchild: Yes, Selma Is this the conference, vkn?

vkn: I will try and do the link Angela

fierybug08: i think TED is a big 'think tank' corporation

Seventies Soulchild: go to TED.com... lots of info about the organization there.

AYWalton: she might be referring to something else, I suspect.

vkn: I thrive on TED

3rdthawkins: ahh, ok

vkn: AYW you will enjoy

Seventies Soulchild: TED is pretty awesome

AYWalton: so----what is it?

vkn: TED.com

Seventies Soulchild: TED is an organization that presents talks on various subjects.

vkn: Futuristic ideas and current issues

AYWalton: I see.

vkn: Puts the world in perspective

Seventies Soulchild: They conference about 3 times a year and focus on a specific theme for each conference where they give talks.

3rdthawkins: cool

Seventies Soulchild: The last one was in ATL earlier this year.

fierybug08: This was my favorite speech by Chimamanda Adichie http://tinyurl.com/ycq3msk

Seventies Soulchild: Mine too fierybug08.

vkn: TED starts my day

Seventies Soulchild: The singular narrative. I hear her talk referenced a lot.

fierybug08: 'the danger of a single story'...I love Chimamanda's speech.

Seventies Soulchild: C-span starts my day OR a cup of coffee! Usually coffee wins out! lol

fierybug08: coffee and quiet mornings...that starts my day.

vkn: Yes fiery that is an excellent TED I posted it to writers forum about a year ago

3rdthawkins: reading the first two comments on that video, sounds interesting

AYWalton: Yes I have seen that speech. I have no idea if I saw it on TED, though.

vkn: The Ted I posted today tells more on the one story theme

fierybug08: vkn...i'll have to check that one out today

Seventies Soulchild: If I find out about the Alabama Project, I will be sure to post it in the forums.

AYWalton: so did you read the article, alt and was it of interest?

vkn: The Ted I posted today tells more on the one story theme and the danger of one story. A Harvard educated Kenyan female attorney

alt: y'all be just too informed for this lil ole country boy LOL

3rdthawkins: that's why I want to get the story from my uncles, but seem like that won't happen, I will only get one, not including my dad, and I can't totally trust my dad's version, his is tainted

Seventies Soulchild: It chronicles the FPOC in Alabama and their genealogy... according to what Mills wrote in "Plain Folks of the South Revisited"

vkn: It's his story 3rd

3rdthawkins: his version of the story, or the story from his view

vkn: Generally it is our view that might be gazing thru a taint

3rdthawkins: dad fabricates a lot and does not tell the whole truth he tends to make himself the hero

vkn: ok

alt: embellish might be a better choice of words 3rdthawkins, not fabricate, which I equate as a lie.

3rdthawkins: embellish might be better alt, yes

alt: I embellish 3rdthawkins and I try my best not to lie LOL lOL

fierybug08: I know how you feel 3rd. My father has issues, but I am trying to look beyond them and try to reach out to someone else in his family. however there is not telling what story he told about his estrangement

vkn: I recall Langston Hughes teaching "When I look in the mirror; what i see is Me" and that is the story that is told although the listener may hear blemishes.

3rdthawkins: when someone can confirm what someone else's said, that's what it's about, you have to get the story from different people, everyone has their view....one uncle only looks at the positive side of my grandfather

alt: there you go vkn and sometimes that 'guy' looking back at me is not the person I want to be.

vkn: True

fierybug08: then perhaps all stories are necessary. It's almost similar to the perspective of siblings living in the same household. Each child may perceive the same event in different ways. Not that I'm defending your father 3rd.

3rdthawkins: yes, you are right fierybug08, in a lot of ways he's honest and tells the truth, but only from his view, which is not a bad thing, it's just how he saw it. As I was told, he didn't stand up to his dad, he left that alone cause he didn't want to get whippings, so you get that when talking to him, you can tell he just didn't mess with his dad lol

alt: you've got it fierybug08.I can hear my children relate events that happened in our family life and it's often like hearing 4 different stories.

vkn: lol

AYWalton: have a good day everyone.

daviss: btw alt I agree with you about Toots analysis of the DNA structure

vkn: In any event check out TED.com

alt: hello Debbie

3rdthawkins: I like taking stories from different people on the same subject/person/event, and that's just talking general in general family research

daviss: hello gthere Debbie

Selma: Afternoon Debbie

Debbie: hello all !

alt: toot breaks it down really simple daviss .. I like her explanations

vkn: Howdy Debbie. Alt did you get a chance to take a look at the PRITCHARDS on "Talking"

daviss: Is this your first time here Debbie? STG!!!

3rdthawkins: 8) 8) :? Heyyy!!11 stg!!!!!!!!!

Selma: Afternoon STG

alt: I did vkn .. and those are some great family photos

STG: Yeaaaa I made it. What a trip LOL!

3rdthawkins: LOL

vkn: STG heyyyyyyyyyy dudess how you be lol

STG: Had to go a few rounds with Java!

daviss: lol I am glad STG

alt: Hello Stranger!!!!!... welcome back STG

STG: Awww I feel so welcomed---sniff LOL!

fierybug08: Hi STG...don't think we've met.

daviss: Is this your first time here Debbie?

vkn: one kleenex for ya stg lol

Debbie: no Davis- been here before, but have been hit or miss lately....

STG: Hi fierybug08 I don't think we have either. Hi! As you noticed i've been MIA LOL

daviss: ahhh ok well welcome back hit miss and all lol

fierybug08: no worries...we're glad you're both back

daviss: Debbie fill me in on who you were searching

vkn: so toss your research in the ring you two wassup

Debbie: I'm working on Goins/Robinson in Goochland VA mid 1800's. Sticking point is slave or free....

Seventies Soulchild: OMG first the earthquake and now STG is in afrigeneas chat! wow! lol I was thinking about you today STG...:) hey Debbie!

Debbie: yea, that's me.... about 10 miles from that earthquake... still getting aftershocks

3rdthawkins: wow, I dont think we've gotten that yet, but with people moving in and out of the building, you can't tell, trucks driving by, don't know what that shaken is

daviss: whoa Debbie! you stay safe

vkn: Debbie Ayers

alt: hey daviss,, try a copy & paste now that we're in the 'new' room

daviss: let me see alt brb

STG: Bwaaaaahhaaa Seventy--Did it have to do with your post? LOL

vkn: You are kin to Robert Goins in San Fran Debbie?

STG: I've been working on it no answer yet ;)

Seventies Soulchild: lol STG, no BUT I'm going to have to go look at it now... lol

freeaainnc: hi all

3rdthawkins: hello free!

STG: Hi Free

fierybug08: hi free

Debbie: haven't found connection with him vkn... did try to check though.

Selma: Afternoon free

Seventies Soulchild: STG the project was started in 1976, if that's what you're referring to.

freeaainnc: long morning, but productive :)

alt: hello free.. pull up a chair

daviss: http://mariahszepher.blogspot.com/

vkn: Alt you were correct re contextual menu and copy paste. It worked

daviss: yayyyy alt but this is not my computer lol

fierybug08: lol daviss

alt: okay vkn.. glad to hear it's working for ya ... you too daviss

vkn: oh well daviss time can heal all wounds lol lol lol

Seventies Soulchild: Ok we have to make STG talk... lol

daviss: lol lol that was a shameless plug for Mariah's Zepher

Seventies Soulchild: ah what else is new daviss? lol

alt: hey daviss.. it's your "brand"... do what you want to do ... as the song says LOL

vkn: Selma I have a prob for you. Had call from man wanting to trace family from 1830 Alabama beginnings to Richmond County VA landings

daviss: lol @ alt

Seventies Soulchild: Yes "It's my prerogative!" lol

Selma: That is a migration pattern for that time period

vkn: I told him it sounded backwards to me but that I would drop it on Selma Alt and AYW

Seventies Soulchild: Well let me look up this man Mills and his work... make some calls, put on the pressure.

Selma: Oh you mean from Alabama to VA..not the other way around

vkn: yes lol

Seventies Soulchild: Were these 1830 people in AL FPOCs?

vkn: not fpoc as far as I know Seventies

alt: sounds strange to mme also .. especially from 1830 AL to VA

daviss: he has a long road to hoe

Selma: So slave owner move from Alabama to VA or sells his slaves to VA

freeaainnc: I've seen fpoc move from NC to AL and MS during the mid 1880s, strange!

daviss: hey free, I did not see you come in

freeaainnc: hi daviss, u were ignoring me :) hehe

daviss: naaaaw not me

freeaainnc: lol I know

Selma: You can send me the info an email VKN

vkn: yassum

freeaainnc: Had to contact Ancestry.com this morning to request they correct the name of a district in 1830 census for Franklin Co., NC. That was a very interesting search! rec'd a request from a patron looking for the location of "Gilbs", Franklin Co., NC and said the info came from 1830 census

alt: freeaainnc, was the district indexed incorrectly?

3rdthawkins: yeah, they do have a few things wrong, I wanted to but didn't request an address for my dad be changed from Survey Square to Surrey square

freeaainnc: right alt, it was listed as "Gilbs" but after 2 days research, I realized it was "Gills" had to check first with demographic librarian - our resident census expert, she was stumped so used our books to see what I could find about someone named Gilb, Gibb, Gibbs, or Gill(s) and nothing

3rdthawkins: people names are one thing, but place names are different, gotta get that right

alt: oh, okay a transcription error

3rdthawkins: hello bearnut2

alt: hello bearnut2. how's it going?

freeaainnc: we thought maybe it was the enumerator, but according to census districts microfilm from NARA that the enumerator for that county was a Russell

bearnut2: Hi everybody! Its a FULL HOUSE today! lol

vkn: Hope all saw the posting from Lee on GenHist about her findings and the photo of her children. Nice response, alt

alt: you're lucky bearnut2, we had only one empty chair remaining LOL

freeaainnc: so finally this morning went up to the archives. I knew the whole time that tax records would be the key, but boss wanted me to exhaust our books first, so once I did, I went upstairs to the archives to look at tax records for 1830 and all the district names

STG: Yes SS I am trying to find out about that project. It wasn't in my memory bank :)

alt: thanks vkn

STG: Hi 3rd. Nothing much happening. Doing digging for other people when I can.

freeaainnc: Found the answer - "Capt. Gills District" so called ancestry to request they change "Gilbs" to Gills

Seventies Soulchild: Ok. I would really like to make it a priority to get to AL on a genealogy road tour in the next year or so.

daviss: Can they make that change free?

3rdthawkins: still helping others I see, that's cool stg

freeaainnc: don't know yet, we'll see I guess

bearnut2: I need to go to AL too Seventies--its just so "out of the way" lol

freeaainnc: But I emailed the patron back to let him know

STG: It's my job 3rd :)

Seventies Soulchild: Yes that's true. I should've made more trips when I was living in Texas.

vkn: what county in AL bearnut Seventies you are Eufaula?

freeaainnc: I also told him if he wants to know the exact location, he will need to look at land records for his ancestor and if he didn't own land, to look at the land records for his neighbors in 1830

bearnut2: stg--I want a job like that :) vkn--Bullock, Barbour, and Covington

freeaainnc: stg what is your job?

STG: OK bearnut2---you can be a librarian too :)

Seventies Soulchild: vkn, I'm in BJ's area of research. The Black Belt, specifically Dallas & Autauga counties. But will probably expand to Perry Co too

alt: freeaainnc, might suggest to patron and others to do a 'view' of the actual image and go furhter than just what the index states... they might have caught the 'error' if they had looked at the image.

vkn: oh ok bear

freeaainnc: STG! me too! I'm the genealogy reference librarian! :)

bearnut2: stg--thats my dream job! I LOVE libraries! :)

STG: I know Free LOL!

vkn: ahhhh the black belt seventies I remember now

STG: Well come on board bearnut2!

3rdthawkins: I think familysearch changed their mistranscription of Hempstead Co., NV to Hempstead Co. AR............and it loolks like they are adding images to at least the 1910 Census

Seventies Soulchild: I wanted to start my own library at one time for children's book specifically on African American history and culture. I certainly had enough books! lol

freeaainnc: alt he was, but I can see why ancestry said "Gilb" b/c it did look like it was Gilb, but it was actually Gills, so instead of "lb", it was "lls"

bearnut2: when I retire--thats what I'm planning to do

freeaainnc: I forgot STG lol!

STG: LOL I know that too Free

freeaainnc: bearnut2 it's my dream job too and I'm so happy to be doing it lol

STG: Great plan bearnut2

Seventies Soulchild: bearnut I waited so long for my brothers to have children to pass down the books. I just gave up and gave them to my BFF's when she had her first son.

freeaainnc: STG - where are you a librarian?

STG: It's ok Free. It's what happens when I go on hiatus from chat ;)

Seventies Soulchild: Now they just had kids about 2 yrs ago...

bearnut2: as a child, I had my own library--I'd loan books out to friends and I even made library cards for them lol

Seventies Soulchild: That's cute bearnut2

freeaainnc: lol bearnut2! cool!

STG: I'm in Alabama Free

Seventies Soulchild: STG do you have my contact information?

alt: STG is a "Roll Tide" person LOL

freeaainnc: ok STG, thanks for refreshing my memory - and I'm sure you know this too, but I'm at the State Library of NC :)

STG: Rammer Jammer Yellow Hammer!

freeaainnc: lol!

STG: Yep I do Free SS I don't think I do

bearnut2: so free and stg did you go to school for library science?

freeaainnc: STG - it's not the hiatus, it's my danged radiation back in 1995, it messed up my short term memory and it's very possible that down the road, you'll have to tell me this all over again lol!

STG: I did bearnut2

freeaainnc: Yes bearnut2, graduated in 2008

Seventies Soulchild: If you wouldn't mind, I could use an assist on where to find the results of that Alabama Project. I know my family is in that collection.

STG: Ohh ok Free no problem. I have to tell myself stuff over ;)

freeaainnc: lol stg

3rdthawkins: well, gotta go,

bearnut2: ugh--I really don't want to go back to school but guess I'd better start checking it out now ;)

freeaainnc: bearnut2 I took my classes through online

STG: SS I was working on it and have some of his articles but nothing specific on the project itself

alt: I know you've gooogled the project Seventies Soulchild ... and it ain't there?

freeaainnc: a program at NC Central University

bearnut2: ahh free-- that I could do!

STG: I got my degree in 1989---yeesh!! LOL

freeaainnc: bearnut2 some libraries welcome volunteers, if you don't want to do it for income, that would be an option

Seventies Soulchild: No alt, not what I was looking for. I am really looking to see where I can find the project repository... maybe I need to change the search terms.

bearnut2: stg--I graduated in '89 too ! Education/Psychology

freeaainnc: 1989???? wow! I was just in 7th grade then!! LOL

Selma: Don't rub it in free

bearnut2: lol free

STG: LOL Free

freeaainnc: sorry

Seventies Soulchild: :? no comment!

STG: My undergrad is Speech path with minors in English and Psychology

freeaainnc: that was 1 year before my first brain surgery too. interesting year that was!

Seventies Soulchild: STG I think we have mutual friends on FB, I'll post something to her page, you can reach me that way for sure.

bearnut2: I'll bet free! Did you have a brain tumor?

freeaainnc: yes, still do actually, they weren't able to remove the whole tumor

vkn: So what model car was that with pritchard alt or was there not enough visible to tell

bearnut2: wow

alt: Seventies Soulchild, were you AL folks FPOC in 1830?

Seventies Soulchild: Yes

alt: not sure vkn about the car ..

bearnut2: Seventies Soulchild--what counties does the black belt include?

Seventies Soulchild: let me post a link of the area. Not sure of all the names of the counties.

alt: hen they would be listed in Woodson's FPOC' of 1830, right?

Debbie: gotta run guys - great sitting in- take care!

Seventies Soulchild: I haven't referenced Woodson's FPOC of 1830 as of this time alt.

alt: I have the book Seventies Soulchild .. what names are yo looking for?

vkn: okies Seventies Elizabeth S Mills will have all of the details on the Alabama Project and it is written in the NGS Quarterly Selma is your best archivist for that

Seventies Soulchild: Tom Smith, Charity Smith, Harriet Smith, Theodrick Smith, Sarah Smith, Malinda, Smith, Miles Smith,

Selma: I have issues of the Quarterly back to early 1992 93

alt: okay Seventies Soulchild. remember 1830 only list the HOH, would that be Tom?

bearnut2: Hmmm Smith...Seventies Soulchild do you know of any of your Smith ancestors who might have married a Leona Brown around 1905?

freeaainnc: sorry, need to get back to work. Have a great day all! :)

Seventies Soulchild: Yes Tom would be the HOH..

alt: okay .. and the county again is?

vkn: Seventies work would also be at Auburn U

Seventies Soulchild: bearnut2, I have a HUGE Smith family... I couldn't tell you.

bearnut2: darn! One day I'm gonna find out the name of Leona's Smith husband! :)

Seventies Soulchild: Dallas Co, AL here is a map of the Black Belt region of Alabama http://cber.cba.ua.edu/edata/maps/blackbelt.jpg http://tinyurl.com/4yym4pa

alt: okay Seventies Soulchild. will check Woodson out for ya.

bearnut2: thanks Seventies Soulchild brb cool! Bullock and Barbour are both included

Seventies Soulchild: alt there will be some in Perry Co. too....which is why if I get that report, I can get a better picture. They really traced people through all sorts of records to get an idea of the migratory patterns.

alt: it will list Tom Smith, age range and # of folks in the household, if he is there.

Selma: Isn't that info taken from the census alt

alt: I'll just look for Smith's in the county's suggested yes, it is Selma

Seventies Soulchild: Thanks for all the tips on where to look. Tom Smith did have slaves, including his 'wife' and their children.

vkn: Part of that report is on AfriGeneas but will have to stretch brain to drum up author

Seventies Soulchild: I did find that during the google search vkn.

alt: oh, okay, then he might be in Woodson's other work FPOC slave owners in 1830.. I have that too.

bearnut2: you are just a WEALTH of information art! lol

vkn: In fact I have his doctoral thesis

Seventies Soulchild: of course, you didn't know that alt is the MAN! lol

alt: maybe information bearnut2, but no 'wealth' LOL LOL

bearnut2: I guess I'd better look into this Alabama project too! lol alt

vkn: Seventies Soulchild what was or who was author

Seventies Soulchild: Maybe I can do an ILL on this book. the book I found Mills work and essay in was "Plain Folk of the South Revisited" There appears to be about two pages on the family.

fierybug08: daviss thanks for the information earlier. my chatting co-worker distracted me for 15mins

Seventies Soulchild: The author or compiler is Samuel Hyde.

alt: could be Seventies Soulchild, but most libraries if they have it only have them as 'reference' and non-circulating.

fierybug08: when was it written seventies?

daviss: no problem fierybug08

Selma: Have to run folks...have a great day

Seventies Soulchild: oh.. well I'll try anyway! lol the name West Point carries a lot of weight!

alt: it can't hurt Seventies Soulchild

daviss: I am glad she responded so soon.. I have not heard from the other folks I called yet :{

vkn: Yall be good. Great meeting today, daviss

Seventies Soulchild: 1997 Fierybug08

daviss: later vkn

Seventies Soulchild: It was published by LSU press

fierybug08: okay...i see it for sale on amazon for $20

alt: OKay, I'm off for a haircut and to look at a replacement 'Netbook for mine that died recently.... laters y'all

Seventies Soulchild: $20? hmmmm

daviss: have a great day alt

fierybug08: http://tinyurl.com/4yahrlj

Seventies Soulchild: I have to go... overstayed my lunch time... :}

fierybug08: daviss does TX have online directories?

daviss: later seventies

Seventies Soulchild: Happy ancestor hunting!

fierybug08: oops...online directory or phone book?

daviss: I usually use the white pages if thats what you mean

fierybug08: okay...I will try to check it out. I got to run too

STG: they went poof

daviss: lol poof is right

bearnut2: guess I need to check out this "black belt" a bit more since 2 of my counties are included

STG: I'd better go eat lunch. I will come back another day . Nice meeting you bearnut. Behave Ms. Vicky LOL

bearnut2: nice meeting you too STG--have a good lunch!

daviss: lol I will STG thanks for coming

bearnut2: well, shall we close it down daviss?

daviss: yep I will cut off the lights lol lol

bearnut2: ok lol take care--glad to see ya back!

daviss: stay safe ya'all

18 Dec 2002 :: 1 Feb 2009
Copyright © 2002-2008 by AfriGeneas. All rights reserved.
AfriGeneas ~ African Ancestored Genealogy