Try a new Ancestry.com Membership!

Domain Name Registration at GoDaddy.com 120x60

Footnote.com

Note: Please follow the link(s) on the navigation bar below to search additional messages that have been archived to conserve space. If no link is visible, no messages have been archived on this board.

2011-08-24 Finding GRUNDY

*LunchBunch

Start: 12:03:00
End: 13:03:30
Chatters: 3rdthawkins, alt, AYWalton, daviss, fierybug08, ProfDru, Seventies Soulchild, vkn

3rdthawkins: hey fierybug08

fierybug08: hi 3rdthawkins this is my first time being here first lol

3rdthawkins: how is it "shaken" ?

fierybug08: lol :?

Seventies Soulchild: hey

3rdthawkins: hello Seventies

fierybug08: 2hr train ride out of DC to MD going 15 mph

Seventies Soulchild: Fierybug08, thanks for the link. Very helpful

fierybug08: hi Seventies Soulchild

3rdthawkins: that's what it felt like fierybug

fierybug08: okay...i felt it in my spirit

3rdthawkins: I hear ya lol

fierybug08: then folks in my office want to go back in like its a fire drill *side-eye*

Seventies Soulchild: Did anyone get dizzy? http://tinyurl.com/3ooxsd7

fierybug08: my legs felt real weak. I'm all about ducking and hiding or at least getting away from the LARGE buildings

Seventies Soulchild: A quick bit about the Banjo and its African roots.

fierybug08: i'll take a look at it seventies

Seventies Soulchild: Now they are saying it came from the Gambia. Which makes sense there are quite a few people who were taken from the area.

3rdthawkins: Seventies, heard anything about the Geechee? this goes back to a 3rd great grandmother on my mother's side (Cummings line) being African, her parents were both born in Africa hello alt, how's it shaken?

alt: Hello folks.... Seventies Soulchild, fierybug08 & 3rdthawkins.. hope you are all doing well today.

Seventies Soulchild: heyyyy daviss

fierybug08: hi daviss

daviss: hello 3rd alt fiery and seventies

Seventies Soulchild: NIce

daviss: How is everyone today? It will be another scorcher here that will get up to about 114 degrees

fierybug08: wow...i don't know how you can stand it daviss

3rdthawkins: ouch! daviss, we are gettng much cooler air, might be because of the coming hurricane I think I need to add that to my list of natural disasters to go through....I have two this year, can I go for three

fierybug08: hey AYWalton

AYWalton: Good afternoon, all.

3rdthawkins: hey aywalton

daviss: I do remember when it got up to 122 so I can relish the break lol hello AYWalton

AYWalton: wassup daviss?

alt: Hello AYWalton, how are ya?

AYWalton: doing ok and you, alt? daviss I know how hot it can get in Arizona! Hope you are staying cool.

daviss: not to much today AYWalton. I did talk to a lady on FB last night that was/is married to a Ware. She is going to ask her hubby if he has relatives in Marshall

AYWalton: ahhh that should be interesting.

3rdthawkins: there's an andre ware, plays/played for the dallas cowboys

daviss: He was born in Shreveport and that is not that far away

alt: I be's busy LOL .. added 5 new photos to the TP website, updated a story with several other photos and am adding a story about my Adams & Reno ancestors and the migration to California in the 1850-1860's.

AYWalton: that sounds like a great story, alt!

fierybug08: i can't wait to read it alt

AYWalton: migration stories always are!

daviss: keeping fingers crossed because that would help me on one of my other lines

3rdthawkins: wow alt, come up for some air lol

AYWalton: plus I always try to imagine the journey they had to make.

fierybug08: i found some wallas and maddix living with my relatives in 1910 Texas, Cass County

AYWalton: such stories need to be told, for sure. I can't imagine 19th century travel, had to be hard.

Seventies Soulchild: hey y'all talking on the phone to the school.... sigh

daviss: fiery I am still waiting on the PV folks to answer my call

AYWalton: PV?

alt: Ancestry has added the voter's rolls for California and I find the Adams and Reno's voting in Sacramento & Yolo county as early as 1868.

daviss: PrairieView

AYWalton: ahhh ok. wassup SoulChile?

fierybug08: Okay daviss, if that doesn't work...I'll get on the phone too how open are the voter registration records?

daviss: I also used the 24 libriarian call but its been longer than that

alt: open fierybug08??

fierybug08: that's good

3rdthawkins: the voter's registration for Cali goes up to like 1968, if thats what you are asking

daviss: past 24 hrs

fierybug08: I meant, are voter registration records handled similar to census records? Or does one just have to go to the court house to request the records? so you can go online to access them alt?

alt: fierybug08, there are images of the voters rolls by county and the information is pretty decent... a physical description, occupation and an occasional remark about the person. yep fierybug08 .. on at least ancesrty.com

fierybug08: wow...that's really interesting. I will probably have to look into that. But I still can't locate my grandma. I was able to locate her brother. I don't have a DOB or DC.

daviss: TX voter rolls will tell you when they came into the county and where they are from

alt: how old is she in relation to her brother? older/younger?

daviss: the 1867 roll rather I dont think I have anyone that early in Cali alt

3rdthawkins: don't think my folks even knew there was a such thing as California

AYWalton: when did your grandmother live, fierybug--what years?

3rdthawkins: at that time

daviss: they may have known but may not have had the money to get there

AYWalton: some states don't allow birth records released unless a certain amount of years have passed.

3rdthawkins: hello vkn

fierybug08: i would say between 1925-1955

AYWalton: she was only 30 when she passed?

vkn: Hey Hey Hey

AYWalton: hope you are well down in GA, vkn!

fierybug08: she died shortly after my father was born

AYWalton: oh how sad. what state did she live in?

fierybug08: i have her name

daviss: how sad fiery

AYWalton: you should be able to get her death certificate easy enough.

3rdthawkins: what is name, (birth/death) place

alt: daviss, I got a certificate from the California Pioneers group from Sacramento for 2nd great- grandfather as he was in Cali before the Transcontenintal Railroad was opened in 1869.

daviss: I have an aunt that died after giving birth' That is wonderful alt

AYWalton: my mother's mom died while my mom was an infant. She had TB however.

fierybug08: born in texas, but died in kansas. I was told that she was buried in texas (domino, tx). I know my ggrandmother raised my father. she later died in domino, tx. i have her (ggrandmother's) death certificate

alt: Hello vkn, how are ya?

vkn: daviss cannot find paper where I scribbled addy please send :::blush:::

3rdthawkins: ahh, that's what got my paternal grandmother's father, died when he was 38, my grandmother was 12, exactly 3 weeks before her 13th birthday

AYWalton: so have you written to Topeka for her death cert?

daviss: ::::blushing with you vkn::::

vkn: lol

fierybug08: no...i haven't because i don't know her exact birthday. i cannot find her on the census anywhere

3rdthawkins: what is her name fierybug?

daviss: I will send lol

AYWalton: well you have an approximate time---most Vital Records offices will look within a 5 year span.

fierybug08: Jenevia Grundy Chamblee

alt: Hello profDru

3rdthawkins: hey ProDru, how's everything?

ProfDru: hello gang

AYWalton: So if you say 1925 they will look from 1920 to 1930.

vkn: Howdy Dru

AYWalton: ProfDru is in da house! Greetings, ProfDru!

3rdthawkins: those names can be messy on any record Fierybug

fierybug08: She married in 1953 to a Robert Earl Chamblee in Cass County, TX. Guess I will have to send off for the marriage license

3rdthawkins: do you know her maiden name fierybug?

alt: sure can 3rdthawkins .. look at all of the possibilites just for Jenevia.

vkn: true that I would suggest starting with the traditional Geneva

AYWalton: yes, you should do that, fierybug08.

fierybug08: grundy is her maiden name

Seventies Soulchild: I bet you have Grundy roots in Louisiana, fierybug08. Had you looked into it?

3rdthawkins: if she married in 1953, I wouldn't put her birth no later than maybe 1935, she would have been about 18

AYWalton: lots of grundys in KS/OK/AR. Don't know about TX, though. Probably so, since it was not far away.

alt: and for census I might do a wildcard search for gru* and the counties in question for an AA female born ca 1925.

fierybug08: well, my family is from AR/TX so they may be related some kind of way

3rdthawkins: was your dad the firstborn fierybug???

AYWalton: you will have to organize yourself, and plan a strategy and then put in time once or twice a week, perhaps. anyone called Felix in your line?

alt: search the given name for *en*** and AA on the census for the years in question.

AYWalton: I have seen that name in Arkansas. Somebody on FB recently contacted me about Grundys, so I recall the name. what were your grandmother's parents' names?

fierybug08: hey 3rd...yes he was

Seventies Soulchild: ok... have a good day all.

3rdthawkins: ok, fierybug, so you are looking at her death in the late 1950s to early 1960s

vkn: AYW I plan to try a blog on "talking" about My Chicago life with Annie M Pope Turnbo Malone. Tell me what size you use for images

daviss: where is domino located fierybug what county

fierybug08: domino is in cass county

daviss: ok

AYWalton: hmm....small sizes. I never pay attention to the sizes--on blogger you tell it what you want--small medium or large.

3rdthawkins: Cass is near AR,

fierybug08: domino, texarkana, queen city is all in texas near the AR border

AYWalton: I select either medium or small, as they can be clicked on by the visitor for a larger image.

vkn: okies I really liked your the help blog It got me inspired

AYWalton: fierybug do you have other names for the Grundy line? Older names? oh thank you, vkn.

fierybug08: but some of my relatives married in Miller County, AR so that tells me that they are a large family [Grundy]. My paternal grandfather is tricky

AYWalton: most families are.

fierybug08: yes...AYWalton. I am looking now

vkn: I will read your the help one this weekend Dru

AYWalton: Oh VKN, I will be passing some images to you in a day or so---that I will use on the Webinar. I have a section showcasing AfriGeneas among other online sites.

alt: oh, oh vkn "The Blogger" look out world here she comes. LOL

vkn: okies when is the webinar

AYWalton: fierybug any Thompsons or Colberts in your line? next Wednesday. I will post on the message board. The focus is online sites for African American genealogy.

vkn: Nawwhh alt I jes be testing

AYWalton: go for it, vkn!!!

vkn: Wonderful AYW

AYWalton: we need more folks blogging----and frankly that is where so much activity lies online. Folks telling their own stories.

fierybug08: John Booth, Luna/Laura Webster

vkn: Not enough hours in day lol AYW

AYWalton: lol I hear ya, vkn!!! but I know you have great stories!

daviss: no Bibles around fierybug08 where the exact birthday may be listed

vkn: lol hour glass is tilting lol

AYWalton: any McCoys in the line, fierybug? you on the run again, vkn?

vkn: no sand is running out lol lol

fierybug08: not that I know of AYWalton. Daviss...I don't have contact with that side of the family

AYWalton: lol oh too bad, fierybug, I am sure that there is good information.

daviss: can you make contact

3rdthawkins: contact is what is needed fierbug

fierybug08: yeah....I guess I will have to. I haven't spoken or seen my father in over 15 years

3rdthawkins: i understand that, that is tough

vkn: Both Tuesday logs are published

alt: fierybug08, it's easy to be overwhelmed with mountains of data in the early stages..... slow down, take your time. those ancesrors are not going anywhere, they'll be there waiting for ya. LOL

fierybug08: thanks alt. I do try to take my time. I have my notebook with my organized notes

AYWalton: well family separations sometimes build barriers that are hard to overcome especially when dealing with the immediate generation before you. But that is what I like about genealogy---I always say---step over the body (or the offending party) and go to the previous generations---since most of the answers are in the records anyway.

3rdthawkins: it is hard when you just can't find them, but talking with family when stumped/backed up is necessary to keep going forward/backward (however you want to look at it)

fierybug08: i am optimistic....things will work out.

alt: have you started working with a genealogy software program yet fierybug08?

fierybug08: no...i haven't. I like paper and pencil better. Although software programs are more convenient. I just don't want one that others can change

AYWalton: others can change? you are talking about something that you would put online. If you have it on your computer alone, no one can change it.

vkn: Interesting talking with a cleaning man this morning. Says he was told a different man was his father throughout his lifetime and just as he is about to turn 60 mother is telling him "the truth" Mother was 17 when he was born.

alt: others can't change what is on your hard drive fierybug08

fierybug08: hmm...alt the one your use looks too complicated to me.

AYWalton: and you are not doing it in fear of what others can alter---unless folks change data on your hard drive---why and how could they change it?

alt: You will be amazed at how much better you can stay 'organized' using a software package fierybug08

AYWalton: Family Tree Maker is very user friendly.

daviss: I bet that threw him for a loop. At least my x was about 20 when he was told his parents weren't his parents

AYWalton: and it will organize things far better than doing with on paper..

fierybug08: i might have to try that one then

alt: and they aren't complicated, plus each one has a 'help' section and/or tutorials

vkn: it is a serious prob daviss

AYWalton: and the programs keep the relationships straight.

fierybug08: okay...i will try family tree maker.

AYWalton: don't be afraid of your own data---it is yours and YOU control what you put into it and print out---if you choose to print out anything.

3rdthawkins: yeah, my mom wasn't told about her bio father until a few years ago when I started doing family research vkn

AYWalton: Also please cite your sources as you enter data.

daviss: I know vkn it is terrible

alt: it wil be one of the best $25-30 investments you've ever made fierybug08

daviss: dang I cant spell

AYWalton: I know that some programs are complicated. Like RootsMagic, and The Master Genealogist. I am still with FTM and am happy with it--at least for now.

3rdthawkins: she only knew her stepfather as her dad, and the father's name on her BC was also wrong

vkn: blame the keyboard daviss

alt: Roots Magic is quite easy to use

fierybug08: okay so rootsmagic is helpful with citing sources. Does Family tree maker have a citation component?

daviss: lol@vkn ok I will

3rdthawkins: I think so too alt, but you can't argue with women lol

AYWalton: yes of course.

alt: I don't even try 3rdthawkins LOL re' argue with woman

3rdthawkins: lol good

vkn: 3rdthawkins you are saying you cannot win an argument or ???

3rdthawkins: Yes!!

daviss: well whenever you get married 3rd you will have plenty of practice to know not to argue lol

alt: or even 'discuss' LOL lOL

3rdthawkins: lol you learn from your mother, this is one man that learns from mama, so the wife will have it easy lol

AYWalton: well fiery, when you get going again, let us know how it is coming along.

3rdthawkins: but you have some good family tree software you can use fierybug08

fierybug08: sure

3rdthawkins: just pick the one that is best for you, and easy, not too complicated, I found My Heritage to be that way

AYWalton: I better run, folks. Tweaking powerpoint.

vkn: send info daviss work is in process

daviss: ok will do

alt: guess I'll split too.. going to a daughter's this evening for a birthday cookout.... she is 53 y/o today.

3rdthawkins: wow, great for her alt happy b-day

alt: I'll pass that on 3rdthawkins thank you.

fierybug08: well i got to run too.

daviss: fierybug08 I will piddle around today for you and see if I can come up with something

fierybug08: okay, thanks daviss

3rdthawkins: me too, working on some music

fierybug08: 3rdthawkins thanks

daviss: take care you two

18 Dec 2002 :: 1 Feb 2009
Copyright © 2002-2008 by AfriGeneas. All rights reserved.
AfriGeneas ~ African Ancestored Genealogy