Try a new Ancestry.com Membership!

Domain Name Registration at GoDaddy.com 120x60

Footnote.com

Note: Please follow the link(s) on the navigation bar below to search additional messages that have been archived to conserve space. If no link is visible, no messages have been archived on this board.

2011-08-23 Quake • Annie Malone • BudBiliken

*TuesNite

Start: 20:56:25
End: 22:01:06
Chatters: 3rdthawkins, AYWalton, deannie, Dorsey, Ingrid_Doweary, Khathu, Selma, Seventies Soulchild, vkn

3rdthawkins: hey deannie

deannie: Evening

3rdthawkins: did EQ reach you???

deannie: Who is EQ

3rdthawkins: earthquake

deannie: NO what about you

3rdthawkins: ok, we got it here in VA, of course this is where it started and it expanded across the east coast, Ohio was said to have felt it wonder if alt felt it

deannie: we will know if he checked in...everything ok with you and your family

3rdthawkins: I was in the grocery store when it happened, food was falling off the shelf onto the floor, glass everywhere, food/drinks spilling out, it was crazy......yes, fortunately we are ok, a little shaken up, but we're ok

Seventies Soulchild: Hello everyone!

3rdthawkins: hey Seventies, doing ok?

Seventies Soulchild: Yep just fine. I heard it quaked all the way up to Toronto, CA

3rdthawkins: yep, it started here in VA where I am, we definitely felt it

Seventies Soulchild: It wasn't too bad where I was at. But where I work is near the Adirondak fault line... so we were going to feel it.

deannie: Was any on hurt

3rdthawkins: glad it wasn't too bad, the problem is, after the tornado, I'm like, not again, and I thought it was a tornado, first i was thinking a plane was going over us, but that's unusual. but it was clear outside, so couldn't be a tornado, not that fast, I just went into the store....a grocery store worker said earthquake, stuff was falling

Seventies Soulchild: Well I'm glad no one was hurt and there wasn't much damage.

3rdthawkins: I'm glad only the ceiling in the very back of the store fell, because they are were definltey shaking as it went through

Seventies Soulchild: hey deannie.

deannie: 3rd...were we talking about a county in Louisiana....I thought it was St Charles...but is St Joseph, La

3rdthawkins: not following you deannie

Seventies Soulchild: Where is St. Joseph Parish deannie

deannie: on the line near fayette, ms and Louisiana

Seventies Soulchild: Did my comment come through? Oh you're talking about Tensas Parish... :) St Joseph is the Parish seat.

deannie: that it................I thought we talked about it last week.... yes

Seventies Soulchild: I asked you about it last week.

3rdthawkins: don't remember deannie lol

deannie: OK...so Tensas Parsh is the county name Ok

Seventies Soulchild: yes, I brought it up. There are two parishes that are close to Fayette. Concordia and Tensas. I've had family members move from Adams & wilkinson Co, MS to those areas.

3rdthawkins: hello Ingrid_Doweary

deannie: Ok....my family is from Fayette (Jefferson county), Ms...and a cousin told to try St Joseph, La....to look for our last ggrandfather

Ingrid_Doweary: Hey 3rd, Deannie and Seventies. Everyone okay?

deannie: Hi Ingrid

3rdthawkins: yeah, doing ok Ingrid, thx, how bout yourself?

Ingrid_Doweary: I'm good now. I was frightened when I felt the building shake at work.

deannie: I have looking in Adams county...and I need to look more

Seventies Soulchild: deannie you may also want to look into two towns that are very popular for people who wish to leave, Vidalia and Ferriday

deannie: Hi Dorsey

Seventies Soulchild: hi Dorsey

Dorsey: hello deannie

3rdthawkins: yeah, it was a startling experience, especially if you've never been through that, even worse when you've just been through a similiar experience

Seventies Soulchild: Hi Ingrid_Doweary

3rdthawkins: hello Dorsey

Seventies Soulchild: We're good Ingrid_Doweary. How about you and your family?

Dorsey: hello seventies soulchild and 3rdthawkins

Ingrid_Doweary: We're all good, Seventies. Thanks for asking. Hey Dorsey.

Seventies Soulchild: deannie what generation are you researching right now? Or what time frame?

3rdthawkins: funny thing is, landline phone wasn't working, cell phones weren't working, but Internet, Facebook, twitter was working, was able to use google voice to call out

Seventies Soulchild: I know my FB was working. I had logged into Twitter but initially it said that it was up to capacity Hi Selma

3rdthawkins: hello Selma

Ingrid_Doweary: Hey Selma, how are you?

deannie: great grand (my lost family are Jesse and Anna Bradley for 1900...have have given my inform many time and I am still looking....

Seventies Soulchild: The reason I'm asking deannie is because I have the index of the marriages of Africans from 1866 -1867 on my repository page.

Selma: Good Tuesday evening everyone

Seventies Soulchild: Marriages of people from Adams County, deannie.

deannie: Hi Selma

3rdthawkins: regardless of all that happened, it is still good Selma :)

Seventies Soulchild: Are you ok Selma

Selma: yep..made it thru the Earthquake

Seventies Soulchild: I think Jefferson Co. is one of those neglected records counties deannie.

deannie: From 1866....that my help...because I have family that went to Adams to marriage because that was one of the towns that is used by family living in Jefferson county yes it is

Seventies Soulchild: If you think you may see them on the index, let me know I have images also of all the certificates. It was just too much to put onto the blog.

deannie: my=might

Seventies Soulchild: Did they go to Natchez? Or Ft. Adams?

deannie: my email address is bradleyclan2004@yahoo.com....

Seventies Soulchild: ok let me copy and paste this.

deannie: Natchez...is one of the towns they went to also

3rdthawkins: hello Khathu

Khathu: Hello everyone

3rdthawkins: everything's cool?

Seventies Soulchild: Hi Khatu! lol

Khathu: My alter ego is bashful

3rdthawkins: yeah, and mine is droopy

deannie: Thank Seventies......

Seventies Soulchild: My respository deannie. http://thefamilygriotrepository.blogspot.com/ Take a look when you get a chance

Ingrid_Doweary: Hey Khathu, how are you?

Khathu: I'm good

3rdthawkins: hello vkn

Seventies Soulchild: good evening vkn before you ask, we are all ok :)

3rdthawkins: :)

vkn: Good evening all y'all

3rdthawkins: good evening it is vkn

Seventies Soulchild: deannie what other areas of the Miss/Lou region are you looking at?

Ingrid_Doweary: Hey Vkn. How goes it?

vkn: Are you safe Selma?

deannie: Post Gibson, Ms Hi vkn

Seventies Soulchild: ok Claiborne Co, MS home of Alcorn State University :}

Khathu: Good evening vkn

deannie: yes....both of my grandparents were born there

Ingrid_Doweary: Clainborne County, MS. Good to know, Seventies.

Seventies Soulchild: ok they probably have good records, deannie

vkn: 3rd deannie Ingrid Khathu Selma Seventies

Seventies Soulchild: I say that because of the push that was made for many of the places and areas in Port Gibson to be considered historical.

3rdthawkins: I heard it got down to ATL vkn, my bro said he didn't feel it, not sure if you did

deannie: I have been to Port Gibson only once...for about 6 hours,....but I had a good time found many marriages license

vkn: No indication of quake where I am 3rd

Seventies Soulchild: good to hear deannie.

Ingrid_Doweary: That's encouraging, Vkn.

3rdthawkins: ok, I think he said some ppl down there did call him and say they felt something glad it missed you

vkn: lol maybe a report of an AK47

3rdthawkins: lol rotfl

Seventies Soulchild: I was watching the Bud Billiken parade this weekend deannie. It aired on TVOne

AYWalton: Good evening all.

3rdthawkins: hello AYwalton

Seventies Soulchild: Hello AYWalton

vkn: Howdy AYW

3rdthawkins: another of our earthquake buddies

AYWalton: ........from the shaking, rattling and rolling eastern seabord! and we are getting a hurricane next week----all I can do is hunker down for the ride!

deannie: Did you enjoy it....I was there...I go every years,,,I grow up two block from where the parade starts every year

3rdthawkins: yeah, was gonna say, now they're taking about a hurricane

Ingrid_Doweary: Vkn, are you talking about the gold plated AK47 displayed from the Muammar Gaddafi compound? Hey AYWalton!

vkn: No I missed that Ingrid

deannie: Hi Angela

3rdthawkins: those were the two reports on CNN, the earthquake and the war in Libya

Ingrid_Doweary: It was broadcast on CNN this afternoon.

AYWalton: howdy deannie! did you say you watched the Bud Biliken parade? My relatives used to talk about that!

Ingrid_Doweary: You okay, AY? I saw your FB posting.

AYWalton: That's an old tradition in Chicago isn't it?

vkn: The broadcasters are hysterical in reporting IMHO

AYWalton: yes, all is well here, Ingrid. How about you?

3rdthawkins: so, does earthquakes affect farm life???

AYWalton: they were hyper at that, vkn!

vkn: yes indeed

AYWalton: everybody asking "where were you when it hit?" and friends in California are having a great laugh, saying---folks it was only 5.9.........

Seventies Soulchild: Yes it is, AYWalton

3rdthawkins: I was picking up a can of Pam cooking spray in the grocery store at the very moment it hit

Seventies Soulchild: RE: Bud Billiken

AYWalton: but it did make you pay attention for sure.

vkn: lol I say so too re 5.9

deannie: Chicago

Ingrid_Doweary: I was frightedned at first AY, but I'm good now. New experience for me. I grew up hearing about the Bud Billiken Parade, but never attended. Always saw video clippings of it.

Seventies Soulchild: LOL I work with a couple of California smartie pants. All they kept saying was that is it?

3rdthawkins: oh AYWalton, my bros' uncle talking about moving out to California because they don't have that out there 8) :?

AYWalton: that's right you lived in earthquake territory for years, so you are one of the chuckling folks. I bet it is fun---did you attend it, deannie?

deannie: Its a big thing for kids who grown in from 39th Street to Washington Park.....it's called Bronzeville now Yes i did

AYWalton: Bronzeville---isn't that something that Gwendolyn Brooks wrote about?

Seventies Soulchild: I thought it was always called Bronzville. I think you're thinking of Bronxville, AYWalton

AYWalton: Poems from Bronzeville or something like that.

Ingrid_Doweary: Yes, Deannie, I met USCT descendent who grew up in the Bronzeville neighborhood. She resides in the West Pullman neighborhood now.

deannie: Yes ........ it the black area of Chicago

AYWalton: No Bronzeville---she lived in Chicago and wrote something about Bronzeville.

vkn: Deannie I rode the Poro School float in 1945 and 1946 Biliken Parade

Ingrid_Doweary: A historic black neighborhood in Chicago, right Deannie?

deannie: Pollman is where Rev Meek church is

AYWalton: wow you were in the Bud Biliken parade, vkn? that's great!!!

deannie: Great fun

3rdthawkins: yes, that is, cool vkn

Ingrid_Doweary: Wow, Vkn that's great!

Seventies Soulchild: Gwendolyn Brooks is from NY born and raised. Her book was Bronxville boys and girls.

vkn: lol yes have not been able to find pictures as yet though I have searched

deannie: I was in it last year on a float.....and 6 years ago I was with my military unit.....

AYWalton: Just found it----I was referring to A Street in Bronzeville by Gwendolyn Brooks. It was her first collection of poems.

Ingrid_Doweary: Deannie, doesn't the Carter G. Woodson Regional Library have archival photos of past Bud Bulliken parades?

AYWalton: http://tinyurl.com/3dmdqf7

Seventies Soulchild: oh okay. the only one I remember is Bronxville Boys and Girls.

vkn: 2Gun Pete was my hero back then Deannie

deannie: That might...they have a large photo collection there

Ingrid_Doweary: Nice, thank you AY, I'll look for that. Please tell us about 2Gun Pete, Vkn.

deannie: Two gun Pete....he was meaning......that's all of the kids thought

Ingrid_Doweary: He was a character in Brooks's book?

deannie: what all of the kids though....we walked on the other side of the street was he was in front on his traven

vkn: He was a real person Ingrid and is now legend

Seventies Soulchild: Ok let me get going. Have a good night all.

deannie: He was real...he was a Chicago Policeman who carried a conceded gun

Khathu: good night everyone

3rdthawkins: I think I'm catching it

vkn: I think his surname was Washington

AYWalton: was wondering who SoulChile was referring to. Just noted that Gwendolyn Brooks was born in Topeka Kansas and moved to Chicago where she lived most of her life.

Ingrid_Doweary: Pete Washington.

deannie: We use to see

3rdthawkins: Seventies researching Washington also ok, going to watch the rest of Fried Green Tomatos, love this movie

vkn: Poro was at 44th & South Parkway Deannie

deannie: vkn....was Poro....two gun Pete

vkn: no Poro was the org inventing the straightening comb

Ingrid_Doweary: Poro?

vkn: Inventor was Annie M Pope Turnbo Malone She and Madame Walker were fierce competitors

deannie: There was a Beauty school on South Park when I was growing up...on the east side of the street

vkn: Both Malone and Walker were on South Parkway and the other at 47th

AYWalton: Gee I thought Madame CJ Walker invented the straightening comb. learn something new every day.

vkn: yuppers

Ingrid_Doweary: interesting

vkn: They were each very wealthy AYW

Ingrid_Doweary: Where did Margaret Burroughs fit in the picture?

deannie: this one was about 44th...the one 47th would be a little far. But we went to 47th street to shop...there was the orginial Regal was...and the Palm Traven

AYWalton: interesting.

Ingrid_Doweary: The Regal Theatre?

deannie: yes...

Ingrid_Doweary: Wow.

vkn: deannie on what corner was the Metropolitan Funeral Home

deannie: 47th and South Park...later King Dr

AYWalton: (have to run, folks.)

Ingrid_Doweary: vkn, did you get to see Redd Foxx perform at the Regal?

vkn: Too " blue" for a 15 year old Ingrid

deannie: The Metropolital was on the east side of the street about 43rd St

Ingrid_Doweary: Okay :)

Selma: Gots to run folks

Ingrid_Doweary: Cya Selma

vkn: i had just finished high school Ingrid

deannie: You are in my neck of the woods...born and raised...on 39th in Vincennes,,,across the street from the Ida B Wells Housing project...went to Wendell Phillips high school

vkn: ok

Ingrid_Doweary: From DuSable? Vkn?

vkn: deannie did you know about Mother Cabrini

deannie: Mother York

vkn: No Ingrid Mary Potter Academy Oxford NC

deannie: No

Ingrid_Doweary: Okay. Well goodnite good folk. Cool.

vkn: Niters

deannie: nite all

Ingrid_Doweary: Niters

18 Dec 2002 :: 1 Feb 2009
Copyright © 2002-2008 by AfriGeneas. All rights reserved.
AfriGeneas ~ African Ancestored Genealogy