Try a new Ancestry.com Membership!

Domain Name Registration at GoDaddy.com 120x60

Footnote.com

Note: Please follow the link(s) on the navigation bar below to search additional messages that have been archived to conserve space. If no link is visible, no messages have been archived on this board.

2011-08-21 RG105 • Footnote name

*SunMornBrnch

Start: 11:14:59
End: 13:19:09
Chatters: alt, AYWalton, daviss, Ingrid_Doweary, Khathu, ProfDru, Selma, Seventies Soulchild, statustray, vkn

Seventies Soulchild: I'm first again? Good morning all.

Selma: Good Sunday Mornin Seventies

Seventies Soulchild: Good morning Selma. How are you?

Selma: Doing Ok...and you

Seventies Soulchild: Good to hear, Selma. I'm doing well. Hello alt

Selma: Good morning alt

alt: good morning Selma & Seventies Soulchild Selma, thanks for the cohabitation record from RG105, have you received my response with my Dickens situation?

Selma: Nope, when did you send it..

alt: this morning... I'll try and resend.

Seventies Soulchild: Good morning Ingrid_Doweary

Selma: No ti was not there..

Ingrid_Doweary: He Alt, Selma and Seventies

AYWalton: Good morning, all.

Seventies Soulchild: Good morning, AYWalton

Selma: Good morning Ingrid and AY

AYWalton: howdy alt, Ingrd, Ms. Selma, SoulChile hope everyone is ewll.

alt: good morning Ingrid_Doweary & Seventies Soulchild

Seventies Soulchild: yes all is well here.

AYWalton: I see you have the keys these days, Soulchile, opening up the place! lol

Seventies Soulchild: lol I guess so AYWalton...

alt: Selma, just tried to resend the cohabitation response.

AYWalton: Am just looking at it now, Selma. I think these records show just how much folks went through after the Civil War. It was no big party, folks wanted to hold on to their slaves and we have to remember that the general population was not too happy with the new status of their former slaves.

Khathu: hello everyone

Seventies Soulchild: Hello Khathu

AYWalton: greetings, khathu!! Good to see you! was thinking Khathu, perhaps one of these days some of us can have a real time Lunch Bunch gathering so we can talk genealogy in real time. We never get to catch up with each other's projects and things.

alt: true AYWalton, I saw a good program on C-Span last night about the effort of emancipating the slaves in Washington DC just prior to the CW.

AYWalton: We don't think of all of the details---it was complicated, put strains on the local community as well.

alt: the program dealt with how congress 'could' emancipate the slaves held in Wash DC as it was Federal land and not subject to the laws of any slave holding state. and the efforts to free the DC slaves in 1860. is everyone multi-tasking or what?

Seventies Soulchild: I don't know.. I was waiting for y'all to say something! lol

Ingrid_Doweary: Yes, I'm multitasking. But I'm reading this chat session as well.

AYWalton: so how was the documentary alt? Sounds like it was interesting.

Seventies Soulchild: D.C. has always been a strange city.

Ingrid_Doweary: I just tagged theC-SPAN video you and alt spoke of .

Seventies Soulchild: Is the C-SPan video in the forums, on facebook... where

Ingrid_Doweary: I added it to my "Watch Later" link for my You-Tube subscription.

Seventies Soulchild: ok

alt: it was very interesting AYWalton, the presenter was a Dr. Kathy Masur from Northwestern Univ. and it was being presented to the DC Historical Society.

Ingrid_Doweary: I did hear about that. Does anyone receive the "American History TV" alerts via email?

alt: I don't Ingrid_Doweary

Seventies Soulchild: No... I just truly happen to catch shows on Saturdays or Sundays

AYWalton: Not me, Ingrid. Plus I get to much via email as it is. SoulChile I am thinking about leaving the GuineaBissau FB group. Too much email and too many discussions on issues that don't grab me.

Selma: Ok back

AYWalton: Nothing wrong with the topics---just too much for me to sort through.

Seventies Soulchild: Yea I haven't posted there in a little while AYWalton for the same reasons. Discussiosn are all over the place. Not focused on GB

Ingrid_Doweary: I subscribe to the CSPAN upcoming program email alerts.

Khathu: have a great day everyone. just dropped in to say hello

alt: I'm a C-Span 'junkie' for the weekends & late evening viewing

Ingrid_Doweary: I understand AY and Alt.

AYWalton: and some are from folks who just have romantic feelings about the motherland, and they are just all over the place.

Seventies Soulchild: agree

AYWalton: hard to find out how to leave groups on FB, sometimes.

Seventies Soulchild: click on 'leave group'....lol

Ingrid_Doweary: How so, ay?

Seventies Soulchild: I have no problems doing that I've left several groups that people signed me up for without my consent.

alt: and groups proliferating all over the place LOL ... seems everyone has a special interest they want you to join them in LOL

Seventies Soulchild: lol I have a fan page now on FB...

AYWalton: I have a hard time finding things sometimes---especially the LEAVE button. lol oh well........better run.

Ingrid_Doweary: Good for you, Seventies. How is that going for you?

AYWalton: take care all and have a good day.

Selma: Got your email art

Seventies Soulchild: great... thank you for your continued support Ingrid_Doweary. I truly appreciate it

alt: okay Selma.. Interesting parallel, huh?

Selma: Haven't read yet.. LOL

alt: oh, okay Selma LOL

Seventies Soulchild: I tied it into my twitter account, Ingrid_Doweary. So I can post and tweet updates at the same time. I love it!

Selma: So much instant communication all day long seventies..my brain can't absorb

alt: that seems to be my problem too Selma... what to do next and which sites should I follow.

Seventies Soulchild: lol yes it can get overwhelming

Ingrid_Doweary: Overwhelming Indeed.

Seventies Soulchild: I really just wanted to get some of the people off of my personal fb site whose interested is genealogy. And alt, it is hard to keep up with all of the new genealogy pages out there Just when you get comfortable with one area, 10 more pop up.

alt: nothing wrong with that Seventies Soulchild.. and yes, there are so many 'new' genealogy pages, sites, blogs, etc. as was stated.. it can be overwhelming.

Seventies Soulchild: My latest 'project' is to get into this Woodlands Plantation and Second Creek thing in Mississippi. Good morning, ProfDru

alt: I try to give the new one's a shot unitl as Selma states 'when they enter the conversation as if it didn't start until they arrived.. those I drop ... immediately LOL

Seventies Soulchild: oh THERE is daviss! lol I want to hear about a trip someone made to the FHC.... spill

Selma: Who made a trip?

daviss: room is different, I cant see who is in the room

alt: any FHC?

Seventies Soulchild: select the users tab daviss

Selma: Hit the users tab daviss

daviss: ah ok there you are lol!!!

Seventies Soulchild: daviss did, the local fhc

daviss: well I had a nice day listening to a presentation

Seventies Soulchild: about???

daviss: Mormons and African Americans

Seventies Soulchild: oh how interesting. . .

Selma: Good morning vkn

Seventies Soulchild: any good points you picked up??

daviss: after the presentation I went line by line looking at the 1880 census on film left about 4:30 in the evening

Selma: Did you order any film daviss?

Ingrid_Doweary: I stepped away to look up the history behind the annual Bud Billiken Parade in Chicago. My daughter asked me about it.

daviss: no, they had the 1880 and that is what I wanted to see Selma I did not get through the entire film though so I guess I will go again

alt: was this for a particular county/township daviss?

Selma: How far is it from you daviss?

daviss: It is not that far Selma, only about a twenty min drive

Ingrid_Doweary: Is there? I just tuned to the broadcast of it. Hadn't heard about the controversy.

alt: dunno vkn, I guess since I've been in contact with a possible DNA 'cousin' from Australia.

daviss: and alt, I was trying my best again to find you know who

alt: she'll come out of hiding when she thinks you are ready for her daviss. LOL

vkn: and not a year before, daviss

ProfDru: have any of you read Melvin Collier's books 150 Years Later?

alt: not his latest one ProfDru

vkn: Not as yet

daviss: alt the lady that gave the presentation stared me straight in the eye and said "If you are looking for your ancestors pray on it"

ProfDru: It is a great book. I have the first book also, but have not read it.

daviss: she then smiled and continued on

ProfDru: what lady was that, vicky?

daviss: This was the Mormon lady

alt: that was 'you know who' sending you a message thru the presenter daviss.

ProfDru: wow

vkn: He is getting good publicity re the book. Gave a presentation to local genealogy group yesterday [Atlanta]

daviss: lol gave me the chills

ProfDru: did you attend, vkn?

vkn: No I did not Dru

Selma: Dru did you attend the event at Fort Monroe yesterday? re: Africans arrival in VA

alt: Melvin seems to be doing a good job of 'marketing' his Brand.

Selma: Good for Melvin

ProfDru: yes, Mel's writing style and marketing is great!

daviss: did you read the book ProfDru

ProfDru: I'm in the process of reading it, posting some thoughts on my blog this morning, www.findyourfolks.blogspot.com

daviss: nice blog profdru on The Help

ProfDru: thanks vicky

alt: speaking of writing books.. vkn, what is Louis Diggs doing now? hasn't he written something like 7 books? hello statustray, how are ya?

daviss: hello statustray

statustray: Hey alt, daviss, Ingrid_Doweary, ProfDru, Selma, Seventies Soulchild, and vkn ;-)

ProfDru: hello statustray

vkn: AYW can bring you up to date He got a bunch of money to open a non profit agency AYW is on his board alt

statustray: I see there's been an upgrade ;-)

daviss: lol I see it too statustray

alt: ah so, wonderful news about Louis Diggs vkn.

vkn: Has to do with documenting hist of Baltimore alt

alt: so he is busy ....

Selma: Diggs has been around a long time...done and continues to do good work

alt: His Baltimore City Directories on AfriGeneas are a 'classic' work.

daviss: did anyone else in here besides alt get in on that 23andme promo? and. is anyone planning on attending the MLK dedication manana I am looking at seventies for that answer lol

vkn: Ingrid is nearer

daviss: and even Ingrid vkn we need a ding dong bell to attract the multi-taskers lol lol lol

alt: yep daviss.. that's what I was saying when you were away... you gonna chat or ??????

Ingrid_Doweary: Interesting you said that, Daviss. It's being broadcasted that some of the area ministers that the celebration is being held on Sunday during church worship time.

daviss: lol lol @ alt CNN said it opens on Monday and the celebrations will be all week

Ingrid_Doweary: One minister said he will pipe the the broadcasting of the celebration at church

daviss: the preview looks amazing

vkn: Log of last night is up

Ingrid_Doweary: DC I guess is getting a preview.

daviss: alt have you started your surveys yet on the 23 site

Ingrid_Doweary: I 'll talk with you later, folks.

alt: No, I haven't daviss....

daviss: I hope some of my family will get in on it

alt: no particular reason why either.

Selma: Sorry folks doing 2 things at once

daviss: lol we understand Selma

alt: you're excused Selma, you have seniority, plus you wear a red hat LOL

Selma: and I HOP

daviss: lol lol

alt: wasn't gonna go there LOL lOL

Selma: Alt I took a look at your Dickens family

alt: okay.. some similarities to the Harris case in your email on RG105, right?

Selma: Yes.

AYWalton: ahhh daviss----how did it go yesterday? did you get to use census records?

daviss: well, I came away empty handed but the presentation was nice

AYWalton: what kind of resources did they have at the center, daviss?

daviss: yes I looked at the first half of Harrison County 1880 line by line

Selma: Was it a presentation on history of AA in the church

AYWalton: did you use the SOUNDEX?

daviss: yes I did AYWalton and yes Selma

AYWalton: any leads with the Tayloy/Tyler names?

daviss: none whatsoever AYWalton, I left just before 5 pm

Selma: daviss...were the other people that you find around her later in life there?

daviss: I will go back and look at the other half

AYWalton: Did you order it? The soundex I mean. You can order things from LDS and they will get it for

daviss: its there on site AYWalton

AYWalton: ahhhh ok. because the soundex, might pull her up due to a different spelling of the name.

daviss: Selma there were folks that I know that lived near including the white minister that I think married her and hubby but no Mariah

AYWalton: what was the minister's name?

daviss: Daniel Morse

AYWalton: and question---did you also search for just the first names without the surname? that can work sometimes.

daviss: yes and I even looked at all the initial M's

Selma: All Mary's, all Martha's, maybe she changed her first name.

AYWalton: and initials or R or Riah? for Riah

daviss: did not think of that AYWalton but will write that down The group wants to go back next month I may go back before then

AYWalton: About how old would she have been, in 1880? Yes you should.

daviss: she should be in her 40's or late 30s

alt: oh, your group went to the FHC en masse, huh daviss?

daviss: yes alt

alt: nice trip.

daviss: we had a good showing

AYWalton: and about how old would her son have been?

daviss: btw 13-15 I would think AYWalton

alt: Well, I'm off to see th wizard.. y'all take care.

AYWalton: was that Paul? ok do you know if Paul had another name?

daviss: Joseph P

AYWalton: ok

daviss: Joe P I even looked at the P as maybe Peter but just as a guess

AYWalton: or even something different.

daviss: I have a couple cousins named after him as Joseph Paul

AYWalton: I was looking at Maria Lucas with the name Mariah written in bold letters on the same page as Daniel Morse the preacher. she was in her 40s.

daviss: who is in her fam what year AYWalton let me see if I can pull it up

AYWalton: she has a child, but not named Paul or Joseph Paul, but a child named John. and there is another husband. when did she marry Lawrence Taylor?

daviss: I believe it was 1898 give or take a year

Selma: Might be someone you should look at Daviss

AYWalton: ahh.........ok........

Selma: After spending a couple of weeks reading RG105 anything is possible

AYWalton: interesting, indeed. And Selma is right---anything is possible.

daviss: I can imagine Selma

AYWalton: people married more frequently than we think, also. mortality was high---there were no antibiotics---and when folks needed help they married. often from necessity.

Selma: Thats how I found my husbands ggrandmother, her mother remarried which I didn't know, and all the kids which she had with first husband, were listed with new name

AYWalton: same thing for my Amanda---her children were listed as Barrs, when they were really YOUNGs. all were listed as if they were Pleas's children.

daviss: I would prolly have more luck if there was more than one child to look for

Selma: People really don't think about how really high the mortality rate was until the 1900's

AYWalton: true and she might have had other children, considering her age.

Selma: knocked my own self out

AYWalton: I bet they were married. be careful, now Selma!

daviss: The mortality schedule was/is messed up online

AYWalton: she could have had grown children. daughters who may have married by that time. I would study all black death certificates from Harrison County.

daviss: really dark pages but I saw the book at the center

AYWalton: you might find another child of hers. footnote had a good number of them online.

daviss: they are moving them back over to Family Search You did see where it is no longer FootNote They are changing it to be geared to a Military site

AYWalton: yes I saw that. might take me a while to get used to the new name. but none of the other collections will disappear, thank goodness!

daviss: The folks at the center said they were not so sure about that

AYWalton: according to their website, anyway. time will tell, of course.

daviss: for sure

Selma: What is the new name?

AYWalton: Fold3.com that refers to the 3 stars on a folded military flag. representing their military emphasis. I think it is rather goofy---I mean---Fold 3?

daviss: me too ay

Selma: Yes, that is goofy..who is going to know what that is?

AYWalton: and military records---when others flags like the earlier flags did they have 3 stars showing? I doubt it. pretty darn goofy. even seeing the logo does not look like a flag. Looks like a triangle with 3 stars. A blue triangle at that. oh well............ better run we are having a thunder storm. later folks.

daviss: I wonder why they could have not left it alone

Selma: too confusing for me daviss.. Guess it is ime for me to go too..have a great day daviss and seventies..whereever you are

daviss: Selma thanks for all the emails.. I can catch up ' take care selma

18 Dec 2002 :: 1 Feb 2009
Copyright © 2002-2008 by AfriGeneas. All rights reserved.
AfriGeneas ~ African Ancestored Genealogy