Try a new Ancestry.com Membership!

Domain Name Registration at GoDaddy.com 120x60

Footnote.com

Note: Please follow the link(s) on the navigation bar below to search additional messages that have been archived to conserve space. If no link is visible, no messages have been archived on this board.

2011-08-20 Quarshie.wdytya • "TheHelp"

*SatNiteChat

Start: 21:00:20
End: 22:26:31
Chatters: 3rdthawkins, alt, AmosNY, AYWalton, deannie, Khathu, Selma, Seventies Soulchild, veekayn, vkn

Seventies Soulchild: Just opening up the room...

AYWalton: Hey there, SoulChile!!! how are you doing? Howdy alt! good to see you!

alt: hello ladies, how are you this evening?

AYWalton: I think SoulChile is MIA she is on the screen, but must be away from her computer. I am fine and you?

alt: I have a headache from searching familysearch records and reading 23andme community boards on autosomal DNA results.

Seventies Soulchild: hi alt and AYWalton

AYWalton: I see. ahhh THERE she is!

alt: How you doing?

AYWalton: howdy SoulChile!

Seventies Soulchild: yes... how is everyone doing?

alt: fine Seventies Soulchild & you?

AYWalton: good and you?

Seventies Soulchild: doing well. AYWalton, I saw your photo in Melvin's book...nice!

AYWalton: :) thanks!

Seventies Soulchild: When are you going to do another book? AYWalton??? :)

AYWalton: who me?

Seventies Soulchild: yes 'em..

AYWalton: I am giving it some thought.

Seventies Soulchild: Good... I would like to hear more about your father's family from MS...

AYWalton: Oh if you have a chance, check out my interview with Melvin on yesterday's podcast.

Seventies Soulchild: ok will do

AYWalton: My father's family is Oklahoma based. With a little bit of Arkansas.

Seventies Soulchild: ohhh thought they were from MS? Up in Panola Co.

AYWalton: The Mississippi connection is on my mother's side. plus I have been blogging about Amanda and the family for over a year, now. howdy Ms. Selma!

Seventies Soulchild: hi Selma

alt: hello Selma... How you doing?

Selma: Good evening folks

AYWalton: getting more mobile, Ms. Selma?

Selma: Yes, but I am Taking my time .. My favorite place is still Walmart..they have the electric scotters.. LOL

AYWalton: I was about to say---hop on the scooter!

Seventies Soulchild: lol Don't take too much time Ms. Selma

AYWalton: going to try to watch The Help this week. I am fascinated that there has been no chatter about it on AfriGeneas, at least on the boards that I look at most o.f the time

Seventies Soulchild: I guess its not that big of a deal to the people who frequent the boards. I saw a discussion on The Help in the recent topics link today.

AYWalton: I suppose. I know that ProfessorDru and I have had interesting discussions about it. oh SoulChile I did watch that episode of WDYTYA BBC verson with Quarshie. My husband knew his father personally---Quaison-Sackey.

Seventies Soulchild: ok...

AYWalton: Knew him from the 70s.

Seventies Soulchild: What did you think of the episode?

AYWalton: I thought it was interesting. and it was well done.

Seventies Soulchild: I agree.

AYWalton: and the family line continues not only in Winneba, but clearly in that little village of Abi.

Seventies Soulchild: wow

AYWalton: I found that one scene with the temporary chief to be a bit staged--but hey it's TV.

Seventies Soulchild: lol I was thinking the same thing... I'm sure that they made sure that it was clearly communicated that he would be going back to the UK and had no interest in becoming chief. Also it was good publicity for the area.

AYWalton: lol yes that was funny. and the conversation was amusing. Like the guy was relieved to know that his right to the throne was not threatened.

Seventies Soulchild: right.. lol

AYWalton: I also found it interesting when one of the elders asked him where he lived in London. He wanted to make sure that Quarshie knew that he too lived in London. And I am sure that the elder knew him as an actor.

Seventies Soulchild: yep. Hi 3rd

AYWalton: hi 3rd

Seventies Soulchild: So when are you going trace the Raji family AYWalton? THAT would be fascinating!

AYWalton: a good amount of it has been documented, SoulChile. And I have placed much of the data into my FTM program.

Seventies Soulchild: ok.. so is there a mixture there as well?

AYWalton: what kind of mixture?

3rdthawkins: I was thinking about that earlier, Raji, since a nfl player has that name, and they mentioned him

Seventies Soulchild: South Asian, African.

AYWalton: you mean ethnic mixtures?

Seventies Soulchild: yes...

AYWalton: no they are solidly Yoruba. (I often tease my husband and tell him that a Hindu man walked through town---but family data---is purely Yoruba.

Seventies Soulchild: lol

AYWalton: Purely Osun to be exact!

Seventies Soulchild: Ah so they originate from the Osun state? Fascinating

AmosNY: VKN, I was in Marietta for a couple of days in July.

vkn: Amos alt 3rd AYW Selma Seventies

AmosNY: I visited a friend on Vermillion Circle VKN.

vkn: alt I was about to comment that anyone knowing that greeting is older than 60 lol lol lol You win the prize alt How goes the ree such y'all

Seventies Soulchild: purty good

3rdthawkins: very well vkn :} :} :}

Seventies Soulchild: I'm scouring the internet for info on the Woodlands Planation...

alt: record hunting is going well ... ree such is a little slow right now.

Seventies Soulchild: I'm going to hit the library again. I found some good stuff when I went yesterday after work.

vkn: Daughter sent me an organized dvd full of family pictures from then ? to now. Has memorable shots of her father and friends during the Albany GA movement

3rdthawkins: its kind of weird for me, you all know you have to ask the elders in order to advance your research, but I have been doing research without family, and doing a pretty good job, and it leaves everybody surprised...so when I go to ask them, there's nothing to ask, I Have to think of something

Seventies Soulchild: I have 3 volumes of the Slave Narratives from the WPA I've been looking through.

vkn: and I have about three albums of PRITCHARD if you are interested Alt

alt: are you asking them about more than names & dates 3rdthawkins?

3rdthawkins: I am now alt as I already have those,

vkn: Good stories about The Help stories in your family AYW

alt: always interested vkn Pritchard, Pritchett and various spellings.

Seventies Soulchild: Alright I'm heading off for the evening all. Be breezy... :)

3rdthawkins: it's surprising how far I have gotten in collecting data without knowing any family members, they are impressed with what i've done, but I need to talk to family to do actual research

AYWalton: oh thanks, vkn----glad you enjoyed the post!

vkn: Thinking about starting a thread for fokes to share "the Help: stories. after all 90 % plus of we were the help

AYWalton: I think when I was writing it, I also learned where Amanda lived---and found a photo of one of the houses where she was. I was just talking about that, vkn. I was wondering why there was nothing on the boards about it.

alt: then thers should be plenty of questions 3rdthawkins. occupations, schooling, military, favorite things.... colors, food, activities as youth, etc.

vkn: ahhhhhhh great minds lol lol

AYWalton: lol

3rdthawkins: but alt, all I get is "I don't know much about him/her"

vkn: Yes ayw the black experience is what it is up south out south down south

alt: then the "research" begins 3rdthawkins

3rdthawkins: yep

Khathu: good evening everyone

vkn: It be South all over to this very moment

alt: hello Khathu, how are ya?

Khathu: i'm good thanks for asking

alt: 'The Help".. would the discussion be about the book, the movie or the life experiences of our ancestors who were "the help"?

vkn: Selma how goes RG105? I have been trying to format a response to David's search for Lucinda

alt: or all of the above re: the help

Selma: Keeping me fascinated vkn

alt: hehehehe I recognize you vkn LOL

veekayn: I would say all of the above what say you AYW

AYWalton: Oh I agree, veekyn. But I hope that folks will tell more of their own family HELP stories. these stories need to be told. that is why I blogged about it on my own blog as well.

veekayn: Oh by all means AYW

Khathu: I'm back in DC, alt

veekayn: soooo we will need a motivating 1st issue to the thread

Khathu: I saw the movie 3rd

veekayn: How did it grab you Khathu

alt: okay, on "the help', we could talk about how many women used their domestic skills to become entrepenuers in the areas of nursing, catering, hairdressing, housecleaning, etc.

deannie: evening

Khathu: It was similar to the book entertaining

AYWalton: I think all kinds of topics are useful. I found the complaint by the Assn. of Black Women Historians to be interesting. they really slammed the film. Not the book but the film.

3rdthawkins: so what are the names of the real life characters that it is based on???

AYWalton: the book is fiction.

3rdthawkins: oh, the film said based on true story......I think

AYWalton: the author indicates that one of the characters was based on a woman who raised her. it is based on a book of fiction.

alt: question... not having read the book, or seen the movie, but for those who have, does either seem 'historically accurate' for the time period 1960's and location Jackson MS?

3rdthawkins: maybe they didn't say it, it just looked like a true story, the way they made it seem

veekayn: Barnetta went to a special showing/premiere done by Raleigh Durham DSTers

AYWalton: yes the Deltas are sponsoring a number of viewing parties. I think they had one in Newport News VA.

Khathu: It is fiction alt

3rdthawkins: I thought it was true story, I was ready to watch it, but not that impress to watch it now, I love true stories.....I know Hollywood gonna mess it up

Khathu: it may have some elements of true but is a fiction novel

AYWalton: it is based on a book. The book was what the author created.

3rdthawkins: but mostly all movies are based on books AYwalton

AYWalton: I read it and found it to be a good read.

veekayn: the life of The Help is real 3rd

deannie: back

AYWalton: not that I am aware of, 3rd---otherwise you would not have screenwriters. and there is an award category for best screenplay adaptation---those are set aside for screenwriters who wrote their screenply from a book. But most are not from books.

3rdthawkins: true veekayn, watch it for historical accuracy as alt mentioned

alt: The author created the 'story line", but there is a reality to the 'the help' being in our historical background right?

AYWalton: quite true, alt.

3rdthawkins: it's more like The Long Walk Home, right? not true but based on what took place in American history (the 60s) 50s

veekayn: true alt but it has its cookie cutter limitations as many have experienced

alt: no doubt veekayn, like genealogy "the help" will have many different individual aspects.

veekayn: I would say the experience is unique and individualized

alt: exactly veekayn even for the 1960's, let alone for the 200 hundred years of domestic service prior to that.

veekayn: and that is the the totality in the strength 'the help' has in many of our lives

AYWalton: going to run in, folks. Have a good evening.

veekayn: Great convo yall

alt: for example, wasn't Elizabeth Keckly (sp) Mary Todd Lincoln's dressmaker "the help"?

Selma: Time for me to go too..have a great evening

3rdthawkins: o-o, let me try!!!

deannie: I guess it's an early nite Nite AmosNY

AmosNY: Nite all!

18 Dec 2002 :: 1 Feb 2009
Copyright © 2002-2008 by AfriGeneas. All rights reserved.
AfriGeneas ~ African Ancestored Genealogy