Try a new Ancestry.com Membership!

Domain Name Registration at GoDaddy.com 120x60

Footnote.com

Note: Please follow the link(s) on the navigation bar below to search additional messages that have been archived to conserve space. If no link is visible, no messages have been archived on this board.

2011-08-18 Hugh Quarshie Mixed Ancestry

*LunchBunch

Start: 12:08:33
End: 13:02:55
Chatters: alt, AYWalton, freeaainnc, Selma, Seventies Soulchild, vkn

Seventies Soulchild: hey alt & Selma. How are you?

Selma: Good afternoon alt and seventies

alt: Hello Seventies Soulchild & Selma .. hope you both are doing well today.

Seventies Soulchild: doing well.

alt: good

Selma: Doing pretty good..just came in from physical therapy

Seventies Soulchild: sounds like everyone is getting over their ailments...wonderful!

Selma: I sure am trying seventies.. LOL

Seventies Soulchild: :} Anything new going on with research?

Selma: Found a letter in RG 105, written on behalf of an enslaved woman who was left $67, 000 by her owner and father of her 7 children..

alt: new??/ not really, just more insight to existing discoveries thru added records in various collections.

Selma: Since the will was written prior to emancipation, it was ruled she was not entitled

alt: WOW!!!! will must have been contested by his "legal" heirs.

Selma: and another letter written by a white man, who wanted to marry his slave after emancipation to legalize their relationship and legalize their children so they could inherit...

alt: those are 'goodies' Selma

Seventies Soulchild: WOW!

Selma: The religious aspects aside, marriage legitimizes the children who can inherit

alt: Seventies Soulchild, I watched the 1st segment of the British WDYTYA and it was very enlightening...

Seventies Soulchild: When you talk about the systemic denial of the legal rights of these African descended people now you are getting into the workings of the system of white supremacy in the U.S. That was a very interesting story wasn't it alt?

alt: right Selma, and as you often state most of the black 'rules' were about inheriting, or the right to NOT inherit.

Seventies Soulchild: Oh you only watched the first segment.

Selma: That goes for white folks too alt..who inherits..

alt: Interesting in the sense of how "white'" this guy is and his connection not only to hte Brits, but the Dutch.

Seventies Soulchild: Now I'm curious about Alex Quaison's heritage... first prime minister of Ghana.

alt: right Selma

Seventies Soulchild: Sorry Mr. Quaison was the U.S. ambassador.

Selma: Will have to watch this afternoon seventies

Seventies Soulchild: ok Selma Also note the references to class.

alt: I was looking for something more Afro-centric and this guys story is the same as many African Americans... with an Afro-European heritage.

Seventies Soulchild: Right! And that's what struck me about his story Well not all Afro-Americans But it was unique in the fact that his ancestors were legally married. You have to watch all the episodes. I don't want to give up too much info! lol hi freeaainnc

alt: oh yeah... just that we're further removed from our 'discoveries' of the continent (sp)

freeaainnc: hi Selma, alt :)

Seventies Soulchild: I don't necessarily agree. I think that the majority of Africans that came here didn't have any European or Arab ancestry. His family would've fallen in the time frame where in the U.S. the same type of thing would've been happening.

alt: not a majority Seventies Soulchild ... I'm talking about the 20-30 % of AA's in America with Euro ancestry.

Seventies Soulchild: Sorry alt, I was talking about the people who came here from Africa. Not the descendants.

alt: okay Seventies Soulchild,, another time LOL

Seventies Soulchild: LOL sorry about the misunderstanding.

Selma: Think you 2 are talking different time frames?

Seventies Soulchild: I think so.. lol

alt: no problem.. we can take this discussion outside.. as they used to say LOL LOL LOL

freeaainnc: Hi AY

AYWalton: Good afternoon, all.

Selma: Afternoon AY

alt: Hello AYWalton, good day to ya.

AYWalton: howdy alt, free, Ms. Selma, SoulChile!

Seventies Soulchild: To get the full story you really have to watch all of the episode.

AYWalton: do you have a link, SoulChile?

alt: okay Seventies Soulchild

freeaainnc: there needs to be an icon for multi-tasking lol sorry, I'm here but also working on my article so I'm MTing, just FYI

AYWalton: Oh you all are talking about Quaison-Sackey! I kept wondering who it was!

Seventies Soulchild: That's what I'm doing.. I'm not really focused here... lol

alt: or a rule/law against mutitasking while in Chat.

Seventies Soulchild: His name came up briefly. In reference to the WDYTYA on Hugh Quashie

AYWalton: I was wondering who the Quaison was! lol I see.

Selma: Well that sure lets us know where we stand in your life seventies..although we don't provide a paycheck or medical..so I understand

AYWalton: I see.

Seventies Soulchild: I'm just looking up this thing for AYWalton.. lol

freeaainnc: when was the WDYTYA on Hugh Quashie?

Selma: It is the British show free

freeaainnc: I don't remember any episodes about that

Seventies Soulchild: Sorry Quarshie

freeaainnc: ooohhh! ok

Seventies Soulchild: http://tinyurl.com/3qv4mk3

AYWalton: he is related to the Quaison-Sackey one of the old leaders. thanks, SoulChile

Selma: Thanks seventies

Seventies Soulchild: In mentioning, Quaison Sackey I was making a note of class in Ghana And how this guy Quarshie's family was also part of the upper class, mixed race people of Ghana. His father was also a diplomat

AYWalton: oh yes, I know that name!

Seventies Soulchild: I was curious about his family's genealogy because of it.

AYWalton: I shall watch it later.

Seventies Soulchild: ok

alt: well he is a 'celebrity' in the UK as are the folks shown on the USA series of WDYTYA, so his story would not be of the typical Ghanaian population.

AYWalton: quite true. Quaison-Sackey's history as a diplomat is well known, but clearly he is not truly Fanti in lifestyle. Lots of Fantis though have British surnames. Lots descend from slaves who returned to Ghana.

Seventies Soulchild: interesting AYWalton. Neither was this Quarshie man's family. I have got to go y'all. See you tomorrow.

AYWalton: I better leave as well. Have a great day!

Selma: Well Free..guess time to shut down..

freeaainnc: need to go

Selma: Talk to you later

freeaainnc: oh wow! ended early!

alt: Hello vkn. how are ya?

vkn: Howdy alt Everyone left or no one came?

alt: I got bumped, when I got back in folks were gone.

vkn: ohhhhhhhh I see Strange happenings

alt: I think they threw me out LOL LOL

vkn: Interesting talking on DNA

alt: yes, Gail is asking some interesting questions and generating a very nice discussion.

vkn: I am enjoying your responses Is there a glossary DNA illiterate am I so not understanding the convo fully.

alt: thank you,,, I'm trying not to 'hog' the discussion, glad to see Lyle, Lisa and others responding to Gail.

vkn: A glossary of terms would be helpful

alt: I think Gail's questions ans some of the answers point out that 'all DNA testing is not equal" and that there are varying degrees of testing with a lot depending on costs.

vkn: alt I call it helping Well will talk atcha later alt. Thanx to you for being you!

alt: DNA is like genealogy, you gotta do some homework before you can really get into it. thank you ma'am....

vkn: lol lol lol

18 Dec 2002 :: 1 Feb 2009
Copyright © 2002-2008 by AfriGeneas. All rights reserved.
AfriGeneas ~ African Ancestored Genealogy