Try a new Ancestry.com Membership!

Domain Name Registration at GoDaddy.com 120x60

Footnote.com

Note: Please follow the link(s) on the navigation bar below to search additional messages that have been archived to conserve space. If no link is visible, no messages have been archived on this board.

2011-08-15 Tweaking • Memories

** Chats Lobby

Start: 10:42:10
End: 10:44:00
Chatters: vkn

vkn: Just getting in early to check out cut and paste vDoes not work fron FireFox and did not work with Safari

*LunchBunch

Start: 12:02:33
End: 13:31:03
Chatters: alt, Ingrid_Doweary, Seventies Soulchild, tomyroots, vkn

Ingrid_Doweary: Hey Alt how are you?

Seventies Soulchild: good afternoon alt & Ingrid_Doweary

Ingrid_Doweary: Hey Seventies and Alt.

Seventies Soulchild: Are we going to have issues with this new forum? I was kicked out twice yesterday. ??? what is going on???

alt: hello Seventies Soulchild sound was turned down

Ingrid_Doweary: Hi I'm back, browser updates kicked in.

alt: hello Ingrid

Ingrid_Doweary: Hey Alt and Seventies. I missed Sunday Morning Brunch. What did I miss?

alt: the chat log is online Ingrid_Doweary ... check the forums

Ingrid_Doweary: Okay thanks.

Seventies Soulchild: two conversations about the movie "The Help" I bought Melvin's book 150 years later, yesterday

Ingrid_Doweary: I see the log. Thank you Alt and Seventies.

Seventies Soulchild: I'm looking forward to reading about his family's story.

Ingrid_Doweary: What's the title, Seventies?

Seventies Soulchild: 150 Years Later

Ingrid_Doweary: Melvin Collier?

Seventies Soulchild: brb going to go grab something. Yes

Ingrid_Doweary: Hey Vkn

alt: hello vkn.... how are ya

vkn: Howdy and hey alt Ingrid Seventies and Me I be good

Seventies Soulchild: hi vkn Like the new format...

vkn: yassum grrrrreat ave copy/paste issues

Seventies Soulchild: and staying in the room... lol I think that's because of some of our operating systems

vkn: still have copy/paste issues what is prob with staying in room

alt: i think it's a java problem

Seventies Soulchild: I was kicked out yesterday and BBENN was kicked out too...

alt: copy/paste

vkn: Prolly need to empty cache

Seventies Soulchild: Could be java on both counts alt

vkn: could be but claims to be fixed

Seventies Soulchild: some people haven't fixed their java or either don't realize that they have an issue

vkn: So who all be off to FGS and Ft Wayne

Seventies Soulchild: I wish I could. but no such luck

vkn: It is all so expensive

alt: i be's off to Ft. Wayne vkn

Ingrid_Doweary: Yes indeed.

vkn: I think the conference planners need a master calendar

Seventies Soulchild: Just when I had my mind set on going out there.. my aunt who lives in South Bend has retired and is moving to MS lol

vkn: oops MS bound

Seventies Soulchild: yes... lol She has one son in the Bronx, one in AZ and another in Colorado

vkn: lt I have a 1910 catalogue for Talladega College with all students and faculty and staff would you like a copy can download from google books So who does she have in MS Seventies

Seventies Soulchild: I would like a copy of that. Looking for the Williamses. I was told that my aunt Alfie's son was on the staff there.

vkn: In what year?

Seventies Soulchild: My ailing grandfather and three sisters. My mom is the only one who will not relocate to MS, but I know she wants to.

vkn: So where is Mom living now?

Seventies Soulchild: She wanted to build a home on the land my grandmother was left as part of her inheritance. NY

vkn: ahhhhh

Seventies Soulchild: vkn, would I just google Talladega College 1910?

vkn: Ingrid can you reupload the videos so seventies or I can send as an attach

Seventies Soulchild: okay I think I've got it.

vkn: be sure you ask for Talladega Catalogue 70s Wake up ALT lol

Seventies Soulchild: Catalogue of the officers and students of Talladega College?? 1911

alt: was on the phone with cousin in Silver Spring, MD... sorry bout that.. my attention is now 'undivided' LOL

vkn: okies I think there is one for each year. I have actually handled those All of the Talladega records are intact and properly archived.

Seventies Soulchild: I'm also looking for records from Meharry Medical College.

vkn: see if there is one saying 1910 seventies I have a catalogue of Meharry for 1928, I think

Seventies Soulchild: ok I do see one for 1910 which is the free download.

alt: I had a post on the Forums from a Gloria Clarke, she's new to me.... Had an article from the Atlanta Constitution from 1905 on a 4th great-grandmother of mine.

Ingrid_Doweary: Nice, Alt.

vkn: wow

Seventies Soulchild: wow.. was 1905 the year she passed?

alt: no, she passed in 1907 @ 102 y/o

vkn: wow wow wow alt

Seventies Soulchild: ok.. yes I think you mentioned her before. She had a big 100 yr birthday party and that it was in the paper.

alt: yes Seventies Soulchild, that's the same lady.

Seventies Soulchild: ok

alt: the AC article was about the 100th birthday party. okay, back to the catalogue's LOL

vkn: Alt the DeKalb GA School System is trying to hire a supt from your part of the country [Lorraine] but some are balking.

alt: ah so vkn... a person of color?

vkn: yes I think her name is Anderson

Seventies Soulchild: alt, I see a Foy in here from CT ... are you researching the Foys? lol alt

vkn: Some think she comes from too small of a district to try and manage deKalb

Seventies Soulchild: that name floats around on the forums....

vkn: Tyronne Foy manages the AfriGeneas Tech forum

alt: not really Seventies Soulchild, but have Foy's from Limestone Co., Ala. in my database who settled in Urbana, Ohio.

Seventies Soulchild: ok vkn... thought I recognized it.

Ingrid_Doweary: At the recent family reunion, had a chance to show one of my husband's 1st cousins a copies of the 1880 and 1910 ining the census records containing twso family patriarchs (19th century) ancestors.

vkn: i thought there maybe some Embrys alt

alt: Lorain is just southwest of Cleveland... a mid=size town.

Seventies Soulchild: nice!

alt: I'll bet they were thrilled Ingrid_Doweary

vkn: outta sight Ingrid

Ingrid_Doweary: She loved it and was able to show all primary sources relevant to the father-son duo.

alt: actual historical docs/artifacts make a family reunion 'real'.

Seventies Soulchild: Alright well I need to go follow up on some work stuff. I'm very excited about :) I will see you good folks on Tues night. Also Mary Wells will be featured on Unsung TVOne tonight 10pm EST and 9 PM CST Watch it if you can!

alt: everyone disappeard on us vkn LOL

vkn: oops probs I see Howdy tomyroots and Welcome

alt: hello tomyroots & wb Ingrid

tomyroots: Hello there

vkn: tomyroots we are glad to see ya

Ingrid_Doweary: Hey tomyroots and thanks Vkn. Was having tech troubles so I had to log out and back in.

alt: very glad to see you tomyroots

tomyroots: ty this is the first time for me on here

Ingrid_Doweary: Welcome.

vkn: Who are you searching and where for what time period tomyroots

tomyroots: several surnames actually but in the 1700's mostly for McCarty and O'Ree

vkn: and what brickwall if any tomyroots

alt: yep, can't stay unless you us your '411' tomyroots LOL

tomyroots: trying to get out of Canada

alt: 1700's ... Wow!!!!

vkn: well that sounds deep tomyroots

tomyroots: it gets interesting back then...it really is and hard to find anyone who can help

vkn: and where were you searching before you got to Canada or is that where you started

tomyroots: I started in Maine and into New Brunswick beyond the Loyalist movement and into limbo...lol

alt: I can imagine.... I have some Canadian connections... Ontario, Essex County... Malden & Sandwich, but they are much later , like the late 1700's and ca 1810 or so.

vkn: Limbo is good lol

Ingrid_Doweary: Loyalist movement before or after the French and Indian War?

tomyroots: before I'm also trying to make a connection with Thomas Peters from the mid 1600's

vkn: I am locked in the deep South

Ingrid_Doweary: Okay. Any connection with Scottish immigrant and or Native Americans?

tomyroots: what names are you researching some native but church records and court records call the names I'm looking at african

Ingrid_Doweary: Dowearys of Frederick and Carroll County, MD prior to 1860.

vkn: African is good

tomyroots: were there any other spellings to the surname Doweary? s yes it is

Ingrid_Doweary: Tomyroots, do you have any indication whether any ancestors were indentured servants. And yes, there's dowery, dowry, dow and dowell.

alt: these would be in the Nova Scotia & New Brunswick areas tomyroots?

tomyroots: yes they would

Ingrid_Doweary: Oh okay, sounds like a different region from where I was thinking.

tomyroots: no servants that far back but some from the loyalists were escaped slaves

alt: I haven't read or done muc, if any research in those areas tomyroots muc=much

tomyroots: I'm looking at Wheary for a surname also is why I was wondering about Doweary

Ingrid_Doweary: Have you researched the geographical histories of those locations, Tomyroots?

tomyroots: yes I have but of course the further back you go the less info there is

vkn: Nor have I....Keener and Moore come from Canada by way of Wastenaw County Michigan and Cuyahoga Ohio

Ingrid_Doweary: I have not heard the Wheary surname in connection with the Doweary surname.

tomyroots: Just thought I might ask...you never know

vkn: washtenaw

alt: that Ann Arbor, right vkn?

vkn: Yes alt

tomyroots: has anyone researched South Carolina records?

Ingrid_Doweary: That Washtenaw/Wastenaw name seems to be popular in the midwest area. I had a HS classmate who resided on Washtenaw on the south side of Chicago.

vkn: and the town between Ann Arbor and Inkster alt cannot call the name

alt: River Rogue ?????

vkn: no rouge is too far east

Ingrid_Doweary: I'm just beginning to research emancipation history in South Carolina.

alt: Ypsilanti ???

vkn: yes Ypsi I ove that name

Ingrid_Doweary: Yeah I've heard of it.

vkn: YPSI collected a lot of Afri folk from Canada a nd the finally settled in Cleveland also Boston Mass and Augusta County VA

alt: Sc had a 'significant' number of FPOC slave owners in the 1830 Census work done by Carter G. Woodson. Sc=South Carolina

vkn: Yes Ingrid do you have the Woodson book

alt: I have copies of both of Woodson's 1830 census work vkn

Ingrid_Doweary: Which title is that, Vkn?

vkn: Lisa Lee may have help for you tomyroots Black Owners etc 1830

tomyroots: ok and how may I contact her

vkn: also alt there is a similar book at a later time but author escapes me

alt: dunno vkn. I'm only familiar with the two Woodson books.

Ingrid_Doweary: A Life in Black History, Vkn?

vkn: write to her forum on this site

tomyroots: sometimes even if there's no common connection with someone it's refreshing to know there's someone with a common history...thank you vkn

vkn: It is by Koger Ingrid and alt

alt: Lisa Lee is the manager of the AfriGeneas Canadian Research Forum tomyroots

Ingrid_Doweary: Oh okay.

alt: ty vkn

vkn: ja velcom What is the name o f the Koger book alt

tomyroots: vkn were you ever on an aol roots chat before?

Ingrid_Doweary: "...Free Negro Owners of Slaves in the United States in 1830 (published in 1924)..." for Vkn.

vkn: lol I sure was tomyroots and prodigy before then

tomyroots: thought I recognized you s been years s= it's

vkn: I initiated the chats in both places tomyroots . Thanx Ingrid

alt: that's one of the Titles Ingrid_Doweary

Ingrid_Doweary: Okay, thanks, Vkn.

vkn: alt have downloaded any of the Journals on negro Hist from Google?

alt: did your folks get to Canada from SC tomyroots? not yet vkn

tomyroots: I think I still have copies of chats from 1999 with you vkn...lol...alt, my O'Ree side I do believe is from South Carolina

vkn: Good and solid reading

alt: okay tomyroots

vkn: ahhhhhhhhhhhh what was your chat name

tomyroots: the same as here...I was resreaching Isaac Allen then

vkn: hmmmm I still have all of those old logs. In fact there is a group of aol hosts on facebook including GFL George and Dear Myrtle

tomyroots: really...I'll have to check my logs too and see who else I was talking with...I also started a page on facebook to hold a reunion next year think the was a GFS if I remember right

vkn: Alt whatever happened to Willian Bunkley or Buckley

alt: dunno vkn, I give LOL LOL

vkn: not remembering either so I too give

alt: y'all are the veterans and were in this stuff pre-alt ... I;m just a baby.. an old baby, but a baby nevertheless LOL LOL

vkn: slow crowd today. It was hopping in here yesterday

Ingrid_Doweary: Okay, thanks, Vkn.

alt: sure was. vkn. well, Y'all I gotta run.. the 'sick' is calling for help LOL

Ingrid_Doweary: Well I'm younger than you on that score, Alt. LOL Cya AS;t Alt

tomyroots: take care alt

vkn: Did you get the birthday party article for your archives alt oops

tomyroots: has anyone held a reunion before

vkn: I too must get lunch before sugar level drops too far

tomyroots: take care and hope to see you again vkn

vkn: There was a memorial program for Sam and lots of people came It was held on faceBook

tomyroots: facebook seems to be where to go

vkn: Yall be good

Ingrid_Doweary: My daughter and niece have used FB to registers attendance to family reunions. What are your questions?

tomyroots: just looking for ideas of what to plan for at a large reunion with a lot of people that have never met

Ingrid_Doweary: Hmm let me see if I can post a link to a reunion webpage.

tomyroots: I do appreciate the help :}

Ingrid_Doweary: http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=76382861175

tomyroots: thank you...I'll have to check it out

Ingrid_Doweary: Examine this page and let me know if you have any questions. Chat with you nexttime, tomyroots. Have a great day!

tomyroots: u2 thanks again

Ingrid_Doweary: YW

18 Dec 2002 :: 1 Feb 2009
Copyright © 2002-2008 by AfriGeneas. All rights reserved.
AfriGeneas ~ African Ancestored Genealogy